Does this count as a find?

marikun

Yesterday I was hiking around the state park pursuing a series of "climbing" caches. This was the second find and fourth attempt for the day. I worked my way down to the cache, opened it up and pulled out the log. I reached into my pocket and... no pen! Luckily, I had a pen on a string around my neck, but it was out of ink! Horrible, right? So this is what I did: I left two coins in the cache. I specified which ones they were in my log for the cache as proof that I'd been there. I also attached a picture of the cache to the log. Would you count this as a find, even if I didn't sign the log?

Yesterday I was hiking around the state park pursuing a series of "climbing" caches. This was the second find and fourth attempt for the day. I worked my way down to the cache, opened it up and pulled out the log. I reached into my pocket and... no pen! Luckily, I had a pen on a string around my neck, but it was out of ink! Horrible, right? So this is what I did: I left two coins in the cache. I specified which ones they were in my log for the cache as proof that I'd been there. I also attached a picture of the cache to the log. Would you count this as a find, even if I didn't sign the log?

I ALWAYS carry more than one pen. I often also have a pencil. But even if I somehow managed to find myself at a remote cache without a writing instrument, I would get an entry into the log. Crush some juice out of green leaves or colorful berries. Moisten dirt and scratch an entry (possibly with a twig). Scoop some muck out of a swamp. Look at your surroundings, and there will be something. You do what you think is best in this instance, but remember to be better prepared or more creative in the future.

... But even if I somehow managed to find myself at a remote cache without a writing instrument, I would get an entry into the log. Crush some juice out of green leaves or colorful berries. Moisten dirt and scratch an entry (possibly with a twig). Scoop some muck out of a swamp. Look at your surroundings, and there will be something...

Yup, I have done all of those things! Moisten your fingertip, rub it in the dirt, put a mark on the log, in your post say "I left my mark with a dirt X" or whatever. Fortunately there are no 'rules' on how to sign a log, just that you do so!

A picture of you holding the open cache container should be enough for all but the real sticklers.

I ALWAYS carry more than one pen. I often also have a pencil. But even if I somehow managed to find myself at a remote cache without a writing instrument, I would get an entry into the log. Crush some juice out of green leaves or colorful berries. Moisten dirt and scratch an entry (possibly with a twig). Scoop some muck out of a swamp. Look at your surroundings, and there will be something. You do what you think is best in this instance, but remember to be better prepared or more creative in the future.

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or rodent droppings lying around on the ground?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and then "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I left two coins in the cache. I specified which ones they were in my log for the cache as proof that I'd been there. I also attached a picture of the cache to the log. Would you count this as a find, even if I didn't sign the log?

Yes, I'd let you have that as a find, without giving it a second thought! I think your idea of leaving 2 coins is creative thinking! :shocked:

(Blue Deuce is looking very despondent in his avatar to day - does he need bacon?)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or mouse droppings lying around?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and they "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle.

You might want to clarify that it is not recommended to place such materials in your mouth to mix. It might ruin your dinner. :shocked:

Find cache. Sign log. Get smiley. I will never understand people who go geocaching without a pen! At very least, mark an X with a coin, or mud, or blood. Very few owners would delete your log, but...

I usually cache without a pen because I generally just don't carry a pen with me and probably 90 percent of the caches I find have a pen or pencil inside.

I never trust that the pen in a cache will work. This time of year it is not unheard of for the pen to be frozen.

Ultimately it is up to the cache owner. I'd let it stand. I'd let more get by than some around here. I think most people would. But if you get an over zealous cache owner who insists that he sees a signature in the log then you'll need to revisit the cache in order to expect the log to stand.

Where are the puritans? Are they all out shooting their turkeys for Thanksgiving?

The puritans have said that unless you sign the log you can't claim an online find. Everybody here gives the OP credit for a find. Those that are quasi-puritans probably give him credit for trying by leaving some identifiable swag and posting a picture. The quasi-puritans probably have a problem with a 'Found It' log where the finder didn't provide some alternate proof. They are likely of the opinion that bogus logs (where the logger didn't even find the caches and maybe wasn't even at ground zero) is a bigger problem than it is. The overwhelming number of cache owners will accept your find if simple write something that would be consistent with finding that cache. If you write a story that is inconsistent with the cache the owner may decide this a bogus log and delete it. Many people with write only TFTC or TNLNSL, and of course these would be consistent with any cache. It is people who write logs like this on caches where the owner would expect a more detail account of the cache hunt that drives the quasi-puritans to check physical logs.

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or mouse droppings lying around?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and they "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle.

You might want to clarify that it is not recommended to place such materials in your mouth to mix. It might ruin your dinner. :shocked:

You make some good points! Let me reproduce below my earlier statements, modified for appropriateness:

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or rodent droppings lying around on the ground?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and then "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle, or even an abandoned used hypodermic needle found near the cache hide site. And, a handy place to admix the materials such as fecal matter with urine or saliva is on your extended tongue, or even in your mouth.

Wadcutter, thank you for having done the needful! Most excellent suggestions!

You make some good points! Let me reproduce below my earlier statements, modified for appropriateness:

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or rodent droppings lying around on the ground?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and then "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle, or even an abandoned used hypodermic needle found near the cache hide site. And, a handy place to admix the materials such as fecal matter with urine or saliva is on your extended tongue, or even in your mouth.

Wadcutter, thank you for having done the needful! Most excellent suggestions!

That's why I always go caching with my caching partner. If something needs mixed that's her job.

Yeah, right, like she'd go along with that suggestion. I'd be cleaning that mixture out of my ear and I'd probably have some blood I could use to make my mark.

BTW, I have one of those small 1/2 size pens clipped on the neck strap of my GPS. In the winter time I switch it for a pencil as ink often freezes. Wherever the GPS goes so goes the pen/pencil.

Edited by Wadcutter
I usually cache without a pen because I generally just don't carry a pen with me and probably 90 percent of the caches I find have a pen or pencil inside.
I usually carry several pens (mini-gel from Staples). Most of the caches I find have pens (only 20% of my finds are micros), but many of them have been out in the sun for several years. Probably 1/3 of the pens are dead, so I carry replacements.

Nonetheless, I have been known to run out of replacements and find myself with none (or have to dig into another pocket in my pack), so I'm not throwing any stones from my glass house.

Edward

We have signed logs a couple of times with juice from a Dandelion squeezed on to a stick. Works pretty good! Have also used mud and blood, but not at the same cache. :laughing: Pictures and good descriptions emailed to the owners have also saved us a few times. Of course there have also been times when we logged a DNF and then returned another day to sign the log.

I would go with a find in your case. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Faced with a similar situation this summer I improvised. I found a can of brown primer left over from some forgotten project hiding in the back of the Jeep. I sprayed a little puddle of paint into the cap and found a small twig nearby. Bingo! Instant pen! The sig wasn't real neat, and looked like the doctors wouldn't give me my pen back, but the log did say "hairball45" and the appropriate date. No deer poo was nearby, but there sure was a mess of poison ivy. The juice from that stuff is clear though and would make poor ink.

hairball

Find cache. Sign log. Get smiley. I will never understand people who go geocaching without a pen! At very least, mark an X with a coin, or mud, or blood. Very few owners would delete your log, but...

You must not find a lot of micros then.... :laughing:

Yes, and you can also use either a bit of blood or a mud-ink made of a bit of loose dirt or fecal material (any deer droppings or rodent droppings lying around on the ground?) mixed with a bit of urine or saliva, and then "write" with this ink using a small stick or even a pine needle.

DNA is the ultimate proof! I'm sure you could get the FBI to analyze it if there was ever a dispute. :) I've signed logs using sticks and dirt before. I have not tried the fecal ink idea that Vinny suggested, but that's a good idea. Sometimes you have to think like MacGyver to sign the log. ;)

I'd count that as a find, you found and retrieved the cache and left something to prove you were there, even if you were unable to sign the log.

In the past when I've been stuck without a pen I've torn the top of the cache print out and left that in the cache, therefore the proof of my visit would be a strip of paper with "You are logged in as vw_keychain" tucked in the logbook.