Look Twice GeoCoin

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Fortunately, I have no stories to share about myself. But there was a time when I was younger riding bikes with my brother and cousin. Our parents always made us wear helmets (which at the time was a real bummer). I was around 12 yo and my brother and cousin were a few years older. We were riding down a road to the lake and coming down a big hill. My cousin must have hit a rock or something and flew off the bike landing on his head. Luckily the only real damage was to the helmet. He got up with only scrapes and bruises. Luckily for us our parents were smarter than we were, b/c who knows what would have happened if he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Blue Knights MCC - a story from years gone by. In my other married life, my husband and I belonged to the Blue Knights. Every year we joined a group from this home area (the area which founded the first Chapter and where the International home is located) and traveled to the International Convention.

This particular year the convention was in New Brunswick Canada. We all went up in a group - traveling safely and had a wonderful time. Coming home, we were again in a group again.

There is one thing which does not mix with riding a bike - that is tired! And yes, you guessed it - one of our members actually fell asleep on the way home. He nodded off, drifted off the road (foruntately in a place where there was a gentle shoulder and field - not a deep ditch and trees) and dumped his bike. His wife on the back was injured with a lower back injury (we had medical professionals riding in the group) which turned out to be a fracture. He was less seriously injured with bumps, bruises, spains and strains. They were both wearing helmets, so. fortunately no head injuries.

Lesson learned - if you have not had enough sleep - don't ride or you could take a big slide.

When I was a kid all the kids in the neighborhood would ride their bikes. We have a big hill and a sharp curve. We never used the brakes when we started down the hill, we would use them just before we got to the curve. One day we was doing it and when I went to use my brakes they didn't work. I didn't make it around the curve. Lesson I learned is always make sure everything is working properly before going. Now a days we do it for our grandson and makes sure he has his helmet on.

Well my first story isn't exactly about a bike but rather rollerblades but I think the lesson learned would still be applicable.

Yes at my age I do rollerblade! Here's what happened. I bought myself a new pair of rollerblades with better ie faster bearings. We were at the local Metropark and using the paved bike paths. The only thing between me and car was a slight hill and a turn at the bottom. It was the end of the day and I was probably a bit tired as we had gone quite a distance. To make a long story short I didn't quite navigate that curve at the bottom of the hill and fell--HARD. I broke my tailbone. But more importantly I was wearing full protective gear--knee, wrist and elbow protectors along with a helmet. My helmet broke in half from the forehead to the back of the head. Can you imagine what my injuries would have been if I didn't have on the helmet? As it was I was dazed and didn't know where I was and didn't hear my partner asking if I was ok. Lesson learned here--wear the appropriate protective gear for the sport you are doing. (Don't think there is a butt protector available though and I needed a cushion to sit on for the next 6 months :laughing:)

Edited to add how this could have been avoided. I should have realized I was tired and wasn't going to be able to break well because of it. But my ego wouldn't let me take the rollerblades off and walk down the hill. So forget the ego and the coolness factor and do what is safe which here would have only led to dirty socks and not a broken tailbone and helmet......

Edited by LadyBee4T

Several years ago before the days of cell phones we were coming back home (Michigan) from a road trip on Tom's Gold Wing from Pennsylvania. The back tire was getting low so he stopped at a station and filled it up. The next day we started back. The tire suddenly went flat and we started to swerve on the expressway. He let off the gas and slowly slowed down coasting as far as he could. We were miles from an exit. It was 90+ degrees and I was wearing black jeans and a leather coat. He didn't have any tools to take the tire off the bike. Luckily another biker stopped, and helped him take off the tire and drove him to somewhere it could be fixed. (That was amazing in itself that they found a place that was open as it was a Sunday.) I had to wait by the side of the road with the bike. Several hours later they returned. During that time several bikers stopped to make sure I was ok and and to ask if I had water. I never felt afraid of any of them. The only time I was really afraid was when an old station wagon stopped and I was really nervous in the way they looked at me and questioned me. About 3 weeks later I realized how lucky we had been when I read an obit where another couple on a road trip had a flat on the expressway. They weren't so lucky and died in the crash. Lessons learned here--always carry tools. This wasn't a harley folks but tools are still mandatory even for a honda. Also check the tires closely and replace at the first sign of deterioration. That back tire was a disaster waiting to happen and should have been repaired the night before.

I'm seeing some really good stories and lessons here. keep them coming. I'm fairly certain(from personal experience) that most of us have several that we can share. While your at it, next time you need to hassle the kids about their safety, tell them one of your stories to make the point.

This story was also not on a Bike, but the lesson is a good one for Bikers of all sorts.

At camp one summer, my friend Shaun and I were in a GoCart contest. We had three days to build, and then there was a big race. Up in the mountains, there's no need for a motor...They were "Coaster Crates", all wood scraps, and some lawnmower wheels with a rope for steering. We did really well, as we ended up choosing the only set of wheels that had metal bearings! Shawn won the race by a landslide. Now we get into the incident, and the lesson. After crossing the finish line, the braking method was to drag your heels on the ground(your feet are on the front axle to help steer).

When Shawn put his heels down, they had too much grip, and his feet came off the front. He ended up running over his own feet, and then landing on his hands for the rest of the way...The lesson, that we all learned that day?

Wear Gloves!!

They will save your hands from a lot of damage when you hit the ground in a crash.

"Here in Greece, we use to make tiny memorial churches in the place someone of our family died! You can see his in the road in Rodini, near the place a cache is! ...Good bye my friend!

Please do not to be panic and never go fast, even if you heard bad news! Never run when you are stressed!

I am sorry if my story is not with a happy end! I hope his loss will make other bikers wiser!

In the loving memory of Manolis Papatharrenos!"

Thank you for sharing, GATOULIS ! Your pain that you must have felt came through in your words. I can't help but shed a tear for who your friend left behind and you.

You know, I've been seeing A LOT of memorials along the roads lately. Never used to see as much.

LadyBee4t's story about the tire reminded me of my tire problem.

I wanted to attend a CITO event in Detroit last year (mid-summer), but KAboom was busy and Tod had his son. I decided I could still go and I'd ride my motorcycle. Off I went, soon finding myself on the interstate going around 70-75 mph. No problems, just a relaxing ride. Got into town and missed my off-ramp, so I went to the next one. Finally asked directions since I was in the middle of some of the worst areas I have been in (ghetto scene here, buildings burned down, windows boarded up, homeless people everywhere...and I was the only white person in sight), the people I asked pointed me in the right direction and pulled away!

Headed on to where I needed to be, but noticed my back tire felt spongy. I had tools (came with the bike0 but not enough to really be of help...but I didn't think about that anyways because I felt there wasn't a problem. Stopped waiting at a major intersection, the one I needed to turn onto, I looked at my tire, but it looked OK I guess, so off I started. Well the tire blew right there in the intersection right as I throttled up and made the turn. It made my rear end slide out to the left, then the right then back to the left before I could figure out what the heck was going on...on a 4 lane highway in the center of Detroit!

I regained control, which wasn't easy. and was lucky that everyone behind me had stopped. I shot across all 4 lanes and ended up in a gas station. I looked at the tire, it seemed only out of air, so I tried to air it up, but no go! Here I was in the middle of Detroit in a bad neighborhood with no way to fix my tire...and it was even Sunday! Well, after an hour of trying to reach everyone I could think of, I finally got Tod who dropped his son off at his mom's borrwed his boss' truck and made the hour plus trip in to save my arse! About 5 hours after the flat, I was HAPPY to see Tod coming up! We loaded that bike in the back and headed on home, dropping the bike at a local shop which was open even at 6pm on a Sunday.

Moral of the story...CHECK you bike, check it well! Tire wasn't too bad, but had a bald spot which must have been the weak link. Had that tire blown while I was going down the intersection?? Death and destruction for certain! Also, I learned to have faith in my fellow man that day. Not everyone who looks menacing is, some are just like yourself. I'm no where near prejudiced, but I certainly felt vulnerable that day and was glad some stopped to check on me and to chat. The gas station was like Fort Knox with the bulletproof glass and all, but the people were very friendly! Of course, when people heard of my problem and where it happened, I started hearing horror stories...

Oh, I also had more than a few chances to hire some "ladies"....YIKES!!

I was out on a joyride one afternoon and noticed some back end wobble. Before I got back on the freeway, I pulled over to check it out. Chain had tightened up, and I was stuck about 40 miles from home with no tire iron. My wife called one of her friends to help me out since she had to stay home with the baby. She got out there, we took a short trip to the store, and came back with two tire irons. Loosened the nut and adjusted the chain. Wow, I thought, dodged a bullet that time. Who knows what would've happened if the chain busted going 70mph. Started up the bike and no headlight. Blew a fuse somehow. I switched out my headlight fuse with the taillight fuse and had no rear lights so my wifes friend followed me all the way home. Old glass fuses are hard to find when you really need them. Moral of the story has nothing to do with the chain. When you change out a fuse make sure you remember to replace the extra one you took off the cover or you can get stranded a few weeks later.

Most of my bike memories are in the time when I was going to school with it, everyday, under any weather.

One day I was invited to a friend's to spend the night at her place. I put my things into a small sports bag and tied it to the carrier. To climb up there, I had no problem at all. But the next day when I rode back down, I suddenly heard a noise. I thought I had maybe lost the plate or whatever so I pushed the brakes rather brutally and went to a stop in a loud squeaky noise. What really happend is that with the speed, the (old :-() rubber band that tied my bag to the carrier lost its grip and was positively getting entangled in the rear wheel. I had stopped just in time before the bike would have stopped anyway... and even more brutally! I was really lucky that time.

What I have learned that day is this :

- When the rubber band gets a wee bit old and flappy, change it immediately.

- Always pay attention to the slightest noise and stop if you have a doubt.

Maybe not a lifesaver, but it could have hurt very badly.

Well, I Do have 2 bike accidents that I can think of. Hmmmmmm . . . Which one :laughing::anibad: ?

In 1986, I went riding through base housing with my family. We had a child's bike seat still on the back and sometimes we'd put our little dog back there because she was part of the family and liked to be with us. This particular evening was like any other. Except I wanted to go past a friend's house. They have been remodeling the housing - spraying down grass seed on the yards and of course, one had to deep them moist. So that meant that the "gutters" were constantly wet and growing green goo. I guess you can see where I am going . . . we turned the corner, I did it a little to tightly and the dog rearranged herself. YEP, My bike laid down and my ankle was practically backwards. I mean it felt like it was just hanging on and dangling. I don't know for sure if it was or not . All I know is that it HURT and did not feel good.

Base couldn't treat it so I had to go into Merced at one of their hospitals because I needed an orthopedic man. Anyways, I had a Trimalleolar fracture.

I Had hardware to keep it in place. only fun thing was that I could feel a magnet when moved along the hardware route.

Moral of this story, don't take your pet on a ride in a make shift seat. And try to know the condition of the roads you ride on just in case you have to make a quick movement.

After all these years, my ankle still hurts.

I have known two handicapped ladies who because of there disabilities rode the adult 3 wheel bikes to get where they needed to go. Those are hard to see and with many near misses, their bikes had a long thin pole with a colored flag at the top. This made them more visible, safer for them and gave others notice they were on the road. You could see the flags long before you saw the bikes. Being visible is important to everyone.

Hmm.. I will write about the accident I had with my father's bike, in 1996!

It was early in the morning and I was trying to be on time in the port, because I was working in a nautical tourist agency! My work was to make sure that everything was ok (passenger lists, passports, even oils and fuels in the flying dolphing (hydrofoil) that was going from Rhodes to Marmaris in Turkey)! I was not running a lot.. and that actually saved my life! I was passing this road every morning... it was so close to my house...

It was a crossroad I had to pass, there was no traffic light becasue it was not a busy road but just a neiborhood road....(I hope you get a picture)! I had seen that there was a red car that was stoped waiting to pass! I had to pass first!

Since I saw that the car was stoped and actually there were traffic signs with the stop in that road (for the way the car was!), and even the road had a painted sign on it saying STOP, I just continued my way!

Suddently I saw an old white car (do you know LADA? It's a firm of a car), closing my way! I was going to hit the car!!! The driver was an old man who actually passed near the red car that was stoped and closed my way, trying to pass first!!!!

With a quick move, I turned my steering wheel and fell on a trush bucket! thank God it was a big one!!! If it wasn't there, I would had hit on a wall and.....

The steering whell hitted me in my chest! I was in pain! I turned and I tried to be polite but... I asked why he did that and why he didn't wait, and I got an answer that I can not post here! I stoped being polite and I just started speaking "French" too! :mad:

The red car's driver was a woman who was socked with all that she had seen! The old man of the Lada, instead of saying at least "I am sorry", started saying words to me and took his car and left!!!!

I was socked and I didn't take his plate number! :anitongue:

I went to work but I was in pain! Nothing was broken but...

I was wondering about the old man's behavior!!! He was old enough to be my grand father but......

even nowdays, when I pass (walk!!), from this road, I see the trush bucket!! It still has "waves" on its plastic, from my hit! It saved my life!!!

Lesson for all..... never, never trust the other drivers, keep your eyes and your reflexes in alarm, stop to check the road if it's possible! No matter if you do not see a danger, you never know! Be prepaired, Stay alive!

Tomorrow, if I have time, I will post more! :( I have to go to bed now! In 4 hours I have to be at work!!! :mad:

I too have another bike accident to report. On the way to school (by bike), I found a small coin on the road. Not much, but it was still worth the stop. As no car was around, I could stop and pick it up safely. With the coin in my pocket, I went the whole way to school and nearly forgot about the coin. After school, me and another friend who also biked her way to school went to pick up our bicycles. When we started, I remembered the story about the coin and dug into my pocket to show it to her. It would have been fine if our handlebars hadn't touched. I guess my bike got out of its way as I was showing the thing. As soon as the two bikes touched each other, my front wheel started to oscillate rapidly and although I had the strange feeling I was controlling it, I had absolutely no control at all. Finally, I fell on my left side, right in the middle of the road.

Fortunately, there was no car at that very moment, but the place I had fallen on had a very low visibility, right after a little hill. Had a car come along, it would probably have overrun me. And my elbow hurt for about one year after that... Now it's all right, but I have learned many things :

Don't be too proud of your gains, a greater loss isn't far away...

Don't be too confident about your skills, you never know when you might lose control.

When the wheel starts oscillating, be prepared to fall on the safe side of the road!

on 27th of October, a friend of mine, who was working with me in the museum, had a bike accident!

He was on his bike, he was going to his house, he was not running, but he finally went to the hospital!

In a turn (the road was connected with on other there, but it was not a crossroad! sorry I do not know how to call it!), a car that was going on the other side, didn't stop, went in the other line and fell on my friends bike! The crash was a big one! My friend went to the hospital, his leg was broken and needed surgery, his head needed stitches, his arm too... he had to stay in the hospital for 10 days! As you understood, my friend didn't have a helmet or proper clothes!!

The driver of the car, admitted that it was his fault, but...

My friend lost his job! He couldn't take the extra 2 months we are working now! they are still in talks, about whet will happen!

Lesson of that? Wear a helmet, wear proper clothes, and... pray to God not to meet with people that do not think at all of what they are doing while they are driving!!!!!

I love the coins, the bicycle one is the one I'll go for. During the summer months I don't ever drive and just bike everywhere (school, work and caching). I've actually been hit a couple times and almost hit countless times.

The most common one is when crossing a street and I have the walk signal. I start out across the street, get to the double yellow line and there are the cars stopped at the light sitting to my right. The last lane to cross is the killer, in that lane the cars zoom right on through my path since they don't stop before turning right on the red light and they don't bother looking since they can't see through the cars stopped to their left. I've actually decided that riding in the traffic is safer when going through an intersection than using the crosswalks!

The other most common one is in parking lots where the lanes are all alternating one-way lanes for cars. They are NOT ONE WAY FOR PEDESTRIANS. If you are driving look both ways, not only the one way cars are coming from. I work in a grocery store pharmacy and can't tell you the amount of times people and bikers get hit because a car pulling out didn't look both ways.

I can't wait to get a few of these when they come available :anitongue:

Edit to add:

I didn't realize this was a cointest! Here's what I have learned as a bicyclist from these two instances: just because someone is SUPPOSED to do something (like stop at a red light or something crazy like that) doesn't mean they actually will and the last thing you should do is expect them to.

Play it safe when rolling in to traffic! :(

Edited by scavok

I love the coins, the bicycle one is the one I'll go for. During the summer months I don't ever drive and just bike everywhere (school, work and caching). I've actually been hit a couple times and almost hit countless times.

The most common one is when crossing a street and I have the walk signal. I start out across the street, get to the double yellow line and there are the cars stopped at the light sitting to my right. The last lane to cross is the killer, in that lane the cars zoom right on through my path since they don't stop before turning right on the red light and they don't bother looking since they can't see through the cars stopped to their left. I've actually decided that riding in the traffic is safer when going through an intersection than using the crosswalks!

The other most common one is in parking lots where the lanes are all alternating one-way lanes for cars. They are NOT ONE WAY FOR PEDESTRIANS. If you are driving look both ways, not only the one way cars are coming from. I work in a grocery store pharmacy and can't tell you the amount of times people and bikers get hit because a car pulling out didn't look both ways.

I can't wait to get a few of these when they come available :anitongue:

My friend, are you saying you're riding on the sidewalks? I don't know about there, but it's advised not to ride on the sidewalks here, everyone should be riding with traffic on the side of the streets! Also, riding through an intersection is frowned upon, everyone should walk their bikes when crossing these! I agree that the drivers need to stop and look, but we all must do our part as well!

I see it all too often, people riding the wrong way on the streets or riding through stop signs or lights. The laws of the roads apply to bikes as well, so we need to know what's to be followed and make sure we do!! Compound that with people riding without helmets...OUCH! You can be killed going 2mph (well, you can be killed standing still too), and close to home is where most accidents occur. I hear it all the time, "I'm just going to the store"...please do it safely!!

My friend, are you saying you're riding on the sidewalks? I don't know about there, but it's advised not to ride on the sidewalks here, everyone should be riding with traffic on the side of the streets! Also, riding through an intersection is frowned upon, everyone should walk their bikes when crossing these! I agree that the drivers need to stop and look, but we all must do our part as well!

I totally agree that if drivers did their part every time, I could follow those rules and it would be just fine, the sad thing is that they don't (nobody is perfect). In all honesty it depends on the intersection, the law is not ALWAYS the safest (speaking from experience). Riding through an intersection, in the street with traffic or crosswalk, standing on my petals gives me 2 more feet of height than I otherwise would and has kept me from walking/riding into the path a moving car in crosswalks, streets, sidewalks and otherwise.

Edit to remove a confusing example of an intersection designed by an idiot that I ride through everyday. Maybe I'll take a picture some time :anitongue:

The two times I've been hit were actually in downtown Denver riding with traffic in the right of the right lane and was struck by a right turning vehicle that had a red light and didn't stop. I guess technically I hit them (smack in to the driver's door) which was lucky, but my point stands that I still stand on my bike in other intersections now to prevent it.

Edited by scavok

I'm sure i don't want to think , read about bike accidents, because every time you are in traffic some thing can happend.

Just reading about your cointest brings fear in my hear, fear from losing some one.

So long i and my friend and other bikers riding in traffic i won't dare to think at accidents.

i only think that they come home safely :anitongue:

I totally agree that if drivers did their part every time, I could follow those rules and it would be just fine, the sad thing is that they don't (nobody is perfect). In all honesty it depends on the intersection, the law is not ALWAYS the safest (speaking from experience). Riding through an intersection standing on my petals gives me 2 more feet of height than I otherwise would and has kept me from walking/riding into the path a moving car in crosswalks, streets, sidewalks and otherwise.

There are a couple of intersections where the lanes and lights are for a strange T shaped intersection where pedestrians can in fact go straight and cars coming from the right do have a right turn only lane to enter the shopping center which is straight ahead. If I'm on my bike coming from the bottom of the T, the only traffic lane makes you go left, I ride on the crosswalk when I get the signal (crossing that right turn only lane where nobody stops on the red). I actually do this almost every day (it's my path home from work).

Maybe they should put up a cyclist's "dangerous intersection" sign there :anitongue:

The two times I've been hit were actually in downtown Denver riding with traffic in the right of the right lane and was struck by a right turning vehicle that had a red light and didn't stop. I guess technically I hit them (smack in to the driver's door), but the point stands :(

I hear you, my friend! Drivers feel bikes are just another stupid obstruction of their speed and don't have much concern for our safety at all. What there really needs to be is an officer giving tickets, then there'd be a bit more concern! :mad:

Since this is the only time I ever woke up in a hospital, I guess it's my worst crash.

I was in San Fraccisco, and going with the flow of traffic down a steep hill. As I was replacing my water bottle, I looked down for a moment (Just the wrong moment) and looked back up to see a car turning right, into a driveway. He was just in front of me, and I was going too fast to stop. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, and the front locked up, sending me over the handlebars. I don't know if my helmet hit the ground or his car first, but it ended up stuck under his car(with my head still in it), and they cut the straps to pick me up. I actually woke up with the paramedics working over me, and then went out again until I was in the hospital. Luckily nothing was bad enough to keep me overnight, but I was very scraped up, and did need some stiches.

What lessons did I learn from this, applied to Biking?

Don't ride faster than you can stop.

Pay close attention to what others are doing(all the witnesses said he had on his turn signal, but I didn't see it)

Expect sudden changes at any time.

and for driving...

Check the right side too, before you make a turn(especially in city traffic)

and in general...

When the ER has to call your parents, tell them to talk only to your father, not your mom.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

and in general...

When the ER has to call your parents, tell them to talk only to your father, not your mom.

When I read that line another story came to mind. Its not a crash but could have been dangerous. Here goes:

A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) has a classic Harley that he is very rpoud of. It is a 1976 shovelhead with a LOT of chrome. Old Harleys like that can be notorious for not being dependable, requiring a lot of work etc. This one is no exception as most of the time he can't get it started or it conks out on the road. Do you see it coming?

It was a nice evening and he decided to go for a motorcycle ride. Sunday evening to be exact. He rode 10 -20 miles away from home where the houses and gas stations are few and far between. Sure enough it conked out on him. Someone stopped and helped him to get it started again and he took off. Being directionally impaired, he rode away from home instead of towards home. It conked out again and this time no one to help him and he couldn't get it started. Now comes the fun part. He had forgotten his cell phone so he locked up the bike with a special wheel lock and started walking. No tools either. No one would stop of course to pick up someone in biker leathers in the middle of the night. He finally made it to the gas station and had no money. Someone took pity and he made a call----to me. Middle of the night and I'm an hour and a half away and he calls me. Then he tells me he forgot the keys to the bike lock. Oh great now another stop. You can imagine how thrilled I was. I wake up and make the drive worrying all the way too wondering if someone had conked him over the side of the head to get that bike. (Seriously when out on this bike and you stop to eat you pick a spot where you can see it at all times even when locked up.) I get to him and drive him to the bike. Sure enough we try everything including me pushing the thing and can't get it started. By this time it is WAY to late to get someone with a trailer even if he could think of somebody which he couldn't. This is a classic collectible bike and we had to leave it by the side of the road. I was absolutely positive that it wouldn't be there in the morning. He decided to push it to a road with some houses far enough back so it wouldn't be easily noticed from the main road, locked it again and off we drove. The next morning he found a friend with a trailer to help him. They modified it and went to pickup the bike. Amazingly it was still there!!! They loaded up the bike and brought it home and its been in the garage ever since.

Lesson to be learned--If you know your bike isn't dependable get it fixed and for sure don't ride it in uninhabited places on a Sunday night when nothing is open.

More important lesson--Don't call your girlfriend in the middle of the night when you have done something really, really stupid. :D

This really could have beeen pretty dangerous had it conked out on a freeway at higher speeds or if someone had realized what he had while he was pushing it those couple of miles he did.

to bad you cant have an anamated icon like a rolling "R"

If animated were allowed, my choice would be to just have it alternate between the words Look, and Twice.

I thing an Icon that was flashing

Look

Twice

Look

Twice...

would actually get people to click on it and see the Name and description.

Can't really fit the word Twice in 16x16 either though.

I think I might have posted about the time I was hit by a car while going between Hidden Lake Gardens and my truck...

Long story short (I know, not like me to shorten any stories lol), when I was hit, it was a glancing blow which sent me down the passenger side of the car. My back was hit by the rear-view mirror which then was ripped off the car, this sent me in a spiral, still skimming down the side of the car. My leg was caught by the rear wheel well and this caused me to "buck" and the bike flung straight back throwing me to the ground landing mainly on the rear of my head.

When I awoke, an officer was holding me still and the sounds of a siren pulling up very close was my main concern (thought it was going to hit me). My bike was still wrapped in my legs, my helmet still on, I kicked the bike away while the officer loudly objected to any movement.

The paramedics quickly assessed the situation and tried to get me to take a ride with them, I at first agreed (mainly because the officer was being very forceful about it), but soon objected and left the ambulance to the dismay of the paramedics...the officer threatened to arrest me for driving while impaired if I tried to leave via car. After 2 hours though, the officer finally left from his spot of watching my truck, so I was able to head home...what a DUMB move this was, I was in NO condition to drive AT ALL!!

I made it home and called a friend who came over, she was soooo worried about me, she stayed the night to take care of me. I was out of commission for a week before I could really even sit up without getting sick..literally. My friend had taken pics of my back and such and she showed them to me...I was in very bad shape. Deep bruising in the back (and some back problems I still have to this day), road rash all over the back-side, my leg was ripped up from the tire and I was constantly dizzy and had blurred vision.

My helmet was crushed! It was broken in so many places, the straps weren't even attached to the back. I think I still have it, I used to have it on my desk...I don't see it now, so it must have ben put away. I still have problems with my memory, some things are easily remembered while some things are like they never happened.

Now...that's what's wrong with me WSR!! :laughing:

Moral of the story...rear-view mirrors are cheap. I could have avoided all this with the mirrors...when I pulled out, I looked back and saw the car was a ways back, but she hit the horn when I started across. this froze me in the middle of the lane briefly while I waited for her to go around on either side (I figured she must have been going much faster than I had calculated). When she didn't go past, I started on across without looking back as this makes me weave just a bit (besides, I figured the car was slowed and waiting for me to move...BIG mistake, never ASSuME)...this was when she started to fly past me...nope, she'd never slowed a bit from the 60 mph she was calculated to be traveling.

Well...I have mention the story before! It is when my father was hitted by a car and went to the hospital!

A woman had stoped (Not parked!!!) on the one side of the road, and she started speaking in her mobile! My father and my sister were passing near the car with the motorbike, when she suddently and without looking at all, she opened the door! The door hit my father and they fell on the ground! My sister was lucky and the car who was comming behind them stoped a few centimetres away from her head, but my father... the bike fell and hitted him and broke his ribs!

Lesson from the story.... except the obvious about mobiles....please always check the road before you open the car's door!!!!!

I think I might have posted about the time I was hit by a car while going between Hidden Lake Gardens and my truck...

Long story short (I know, not like me to shorten any stories lol), when I was hit, it was a glancing blow which sent me down the passenger side of the car. My back was hit by the rear-view mirror which then was ripped off the car, this sent me in a spiral, still skimming down the side of the car. My leg was caught by the rear wheel well and this caused me to "buck" and the bike flung straight back throwing me to the ground landing mainly on the rear of my head.

When I awoke, an officer was holding me still and the sounds of a siren pulling up very close was my main concern (thought it was going to hit me). My bike was still wrapped in my legs, my helmet still on, I kicked the bike away while the officer loudly objected to any movement.

The paramedics quickly assessed the situation and tried to get me to take a ride with them, I at first agreed (mainly because the officer was being very forceful about it), but soon objected and left the ambulance to the dismay of the paramedics...the officer threatened to arrest me for driving while impaired if I tried to leave via car. After 2 hours though, the officer finally left from his spot of watching my truck, so I was able to head home...what a DUMB move this was, I was in NO condition to drive AT ALL!!

I made it home and called a friend who came over, she was soooo worried about me, she stayed the night to take care of me. I was out of commission for a week before I could really even sit up without getting sick..literally. My friend had taken pics of my back and such and she showed them to me...I was in very bad shape. Deep bruising in the back (and some back problems I still have to this day), road rash all over the back-side, my leg was ripped up from the tire and I was constantly dizzy and had blurred vision.

My helmet was crushed! It was broken in so many places, the straps weren't even attached to the back. I think I still have it, I used to have it on my desk...I don't see it now, so it must have ben put away. I still have problems with my memory, some things are easily remembered while some things are like they never happened.

Now...that's what's wrong with me WSR!! :laughing:

Moral of the story...rear-view mirrors are cheap. I could have avoided all this with the mirrors...when I pulled out, I looked back and saw the car was a ways back, but she hit the horn when I started across. this froze me in the middle of the lane briefly while I waited for her to go around on either side (I figured she must have been going much faster than I had calculated). When she didn't go past, I started on across without looking back as this makes me weave just a bit (besides, I figured the car was slowed and waiting for me to move...BIG mistake, never ASSuME)...this was when she started to fly past me...nope, she'd never slowed a bit from the 60 mph she was calculated to be traveling.

Nope Rod I have to disagree STRONGLY here. If someone is in accident of that magnitde they need to be seen in the ER pronto. More than likely your friend wasn't trained to detect a subdural hematoma or other head injury tht you could have suffered and could have been fatal during that night. If you or anyone is injured like that get yourself checked out to prevent further injury. (Also wouldn't allow for excuses later in life! :laughing: )

This one didn't happen to me but to a close friend and avid cyclist.

While on one of his daily rides, he was travelling downhill and had picked up a fair amount of speed.

A truck pulled out in front of him from a side road pulling a trailer. In the attempt to stop he went off the roadway and the tire on the bike folded. He ended up breaking a hip in the process though the helmet protected his coconut. Rehab was a bit hard as he also developed a blood clot which was more of a risk than the broken hip. Recovery is progressing and he is off the crutches and back on the bike.

Not sure the lesson other than

1. Drivers watch for bikes and know how long it takes to pull into traffic with a trailer.

2. Riders watch your speed and ride only as fast as you can control a rapid stop.

So this past summer I participated in my first true bike race. It was a 92 miler around Lake Winnebago. We were nearing the halfway mark when people ahead of me started to fall to the ground. I attempted to swerve and miss it but instead was sent into the curb. Luckly everyone was required to where helmets so there weren't any head injuries. I learned not to be in the back of the peloton.

So this past summer I participated in my first true bike race. It was a 92 miler around Lake Winnebago. We were nearing the halfway mark when people ahead of me started to fall to the ground. I attempted to swerve and miss it but instead was sent into the curb. Luckly everyone was required to where helmets so there weren't any head injuries. I learned not to be in the back of the peloton.

That's an excellent lesson, now you need to put the plan into action!

I used to do a good amount of mountain biking in the SW michigan area. When I was 16 or 17, I was riding some trails alone and hit a descent area. I knew the trails like the back of my hand.. however I didn't realize how fast I was actually going.

I completely misjudged my entry to a ramp and had a very bad launch off of it. Needless to say, I wound up flying over the handlebars and landing on my head. Luckily, I had a helmet and it absorbed almost all of the impact. I was shaken up, had a messed up bike and a messed up body from cuts and dirt-drag-burn.

Prior to that, I wore a helmet most of the time when I was out but I often thought it was annoying. The accident was a huge smack in the face for me and I realized how important helmets are. I'm not superman and accidents do happen. I was glad I had a helmet and ever since then I don't ride my mountain bike without one.

---

Second story. About a year ago I was pulling out of my (then) apartment complex in Ann Arbor. There are sidewalks all around it and I glanced and didnt see anyone and continued forward. However, there was a guy on a bike riding on the sidewalk. Since it's a downhill section, he was moving pretty quickly. I came within a couple of inches of hitting him, but luckily it didn't happen. He wasn't very happy and had some choice words for me, but I apologized profusely and admitted that it was stupid of me to not pay more attention of who was around.

I wanted to call him out for riding on the freakin sidewalk like that, but he was already quite pissed off so I decided not to.. but really, people, don't ride on sidewalks!! It's so dangerous for both yourself, people in cars, and pedestrians!

Usually when I ride rail trails I do not where a helmet on my bicycle. But if I am on a wooded trail I will wear one. I was bareling up a hill about six years ago wearing a helmet and it had gotten dark so I was really trying to get out of the woods, it was an October evening with the moon hiding behind the clouds when I came to the top of the hill and pushed hard on the flat I entered a field and immediately struck a deer, I was thrown from the bike and landed a few yards away with no road kill to show. I was sore for a couple of days, never heard from the deer again.

Helmets are a good thing, and I have stopped riding those little trails. I have to admit I have a little 49cc Girelli moped I ride to work without a helmet but it is only a mile and a half and a huge shoulder to ride on, not a whole lot of traffic in Amish country especially at 5:00 AM.

Look Twice... Definitely!

When I was a young boy, back in the very early 60s (long before bicycle helmets), I had an incident on my bike. It was a red child's bike with coaster brakes and I was a young boy filled with excitement and a keen interest in riding to my friends house as quick as I could. My focus, as a young lad, was more on getting there than on my surroundings or the rules of the road. ;)

Well, to keep the story short, I was riding down the hill from my house. I knew I should stop at the stop sign but I was in a race against time, empowered with super human strengths and abilities to ride faster than any other kid in the universe (a child's mind works in mysterious ways), so I decided to only step on the brakes slightly, rounding the corner for a right hand turn without stopping. :D

I can only imagine the surprise and fear for my life that must have instantly overwhelmed the mind of the driver of the oncoming sedan that was headed my way. He slammed on the brakes, swerved and took every possible step to reduce his speed and avoid me, but I came out right in front of him. :(

Well, the next thing I knew, my parents were on the way and the neighbors were asking me if I remembered flying through the air for about twenty feet. I had a pain in my hip. :D

As it later turned out, I had a cracked pelvis and thankfully that was all... no head injuries or any other serious wounds. I've always been lucky that way; cheated death on many occasions throughout my life. Someone is definitely watching over me. :laughing:

Well, after two or three weeks, I was right back on my feet, A-OK and playing hard again (only this time with a great respect for the rules of the road) and in fact, I turned out to be quite the athlete but what's the message in this story....? :laughing:

• Impress on your kids the importance of the rules of the road and the discipline of focus: on their surroundings and what they are doing.
  • Drivers, look twice, especially for those little kids with big imaginations who haven't got their minds on the road... You never know where or when they may pop out.

I had a similar accident. I was leaving my cousin's house, and was going to race my mom home(she would leave in the car a few minutes later for the 5 mile trip). I was just starting, and zipped a few houses down the sidewalk, the out a driveway into the street, at the last house on the block. Just as I entered the street, a car came, making a left turn from the cross street. Instead of going to the center of the intersection, then turning into his lane, he had cut close to the curb in the opposing lane. I saw him and stopped suddenly, thinking that he would be turning into the other lane, but he was coming straight at me. I jumped off the bike away from the car, and then he hit my bike from the right side. He was also on the brakes hard, and so that was where he stopped. I'm very lucky that I jumped off, since the right pedal (in the down position) ended up wrapped under his bumper, WITHOUT my foot) Both wheels folded. the handlebars were bent, annd the sproket/pedals were ruined. The frame was intact though, and he paid for all the repairs. I was wearing a helmet and gloves, so there were no injuries to me. The lesson I learned that day was not to always expect a car to go where it is supposed to. Another lesson that I learned (and I hope he did too) was to not Cut Corners. When you are turning left, you should proceed to the center of the intersection in your lane, then turn left into your lane. Don't cut the coorner, and cross into the opposing lane, even on a deserted residential street.