Look Twice GeoCoin

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

OK, here goes. This one still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My mountain bike became my sole source of transportation for many years as I lived in a small town on a little island just south of Alaska. When I was still living at home my younger brother asked to borrow it to make a run to the store and as a good brother should I obliged him. The next day I went to hop on my wheels and found that the tire was flat. I gave my brother the lecture about returning a borrowed item in the same condition as it was lent . Not being overly mechanically inclined it took him several hours to fix the flat including many trips into the house to ask me for help. When he finally completed the task it was after supper and raining out so the bike sat behind the house until the next morning, a monday. Next morning, I hopped on my bike and took off for work at my usual breakneck speed. I raced across the road from my house and lifted my front wheel to jump the curb. This is the moment that I realized the newly repaired wheel had not actually been tightened back onto the forks. I remember looking down at the curb and seeing the wheel slip away from my bike and I came crashing down face first onto the sidewalk. I was wearing a tshirt and put my arms out to break my fall. When I got up from the tangled mess I had blood coursing down my forearms where the pavement had chewed all the flesh away. I remember dragging what was left of my bike home with a very angry look on my face and realizing that the puff of smoke over the hill in the backyard was the dust from the heels of my brother that had witnessed the tragedy from our kitchen window.

Lesson learned: Never let another person wrench your bike. Better still, never lend it out if you don't want it broke.

Next time ... Kevin learns that a road bike is not a good substitute for bush crashing. Stay tuned!

OK, here goes. This one still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My mountain bike became my sole source of transportation for many years as I lived in a small town on a little island just south of Alaska. When I was still living at home my younger brother asked to borrow it to make a run to the store and as a good brother should I obliged him. The next day I went to hop on my wheels and found that the tire was flat. I gave my brother the lecture about returning a borrowed item in the same condition as it was lent . Not being overly mechanically inclined it took him several hours to fix the flat including many trips into the house to ask me for help. When he finally completed the task it was after supper and raining out so the bike sat behind the house until the next morning, a monday. Next morning, I hopped on my bike and took off for work at my usual breakneck speed. I raced across the road from my house and lifted my front wheel to jump the curb. This is the moment that I realized the newly repaired wheel had not actually been tightened back onto the forks. I remember looking down at the curb and seeing the wheel slip away from my bike and I came crashing down face first onto the sidewalk. I was wearing a tshirt and put my arms out to break my fall. When I got up from the tangled mess I had blood coursing down my forearms where the pavement had chewed all the flesh away. I remember dragging what was left of my bike home with a very angry look on my face and realizing that the puff of smoke over the hill in the backyard was the dust from the heels of my brother that had witnessed the tragedy from our kitchen window.

Lesson learned: Never let another person wrench your bike. Better still, never lend it out if you don't want it broke.

Next time ... Kevin learns that a road bike is not a good substitute for bush crashing. Stay tuned!

Ouch...That started to hurt as soon as you said it was raining. I've seen a video of a crash like that, and it's very ugly. At least you got your arms out, instead of planting your face. Should I share the one about Speed, Brakes, and the Icy Bridge???

One of the most difficult things has been fitting the K in such a small space with three other letters, but another Eureka moment yields this...

365b5e70-1bc1-42c0-a5bc-0360a464180f.jpg Look Twice Geocoin

9db59ab6-bca0-474d-b7cd-080f8f968092.jpg Look Twice Geocoin

Well,, My Eureka Moment came when I stopped trying to make the "O"s as tall as the other letters, and then filled them in, leaving room for the bottom of the "L" to be more defined. I think this is my favorite idea, as it has the most important element of my first thought(I wanted one that said "Look Twice" but that's just impossible to fit). The other thing I like about this one is that it actually looks like it's "Looking". It is almost a smiley at a glance. I think this will be the Icon used, or some version of this.

Here's my first accident story. In August 2006, I was learning to ride a motorcycle. I had taken the MSF class to learn the basics, I had bought all the gear you could buy (jacket, helmet, pants, gloves and boots) and I had bought a bike. My now ex husband was "helping me" learn in an empty parking lot near the house. We spent an hour or so up there with me practicing going around in circles. I had one unfortunate drop there but that's not the one for the story. I got back up from that one and rode around a little more, then I decided I was ready for the road. Unfortunately, I really wasn't, just didn't know it at the time, and he never told me any different. I rode around the neighborhood a little after that and then planned a big ride for an upcoming weekend. Myself, my ex, and a few guys from a local motorcycle forum all got together and rode over to Pine Mountain. The trip there was fairly uneventful (except the bike stalling in the driveway, falling over and breaking the blinker). Well, there is this one road that goes over the mountain, it has some good curves on it so that's what I was looking forward to. We got to this road and my ex was leading the ride, then me, then the other guys. My ex turned on the road, then a car pulled up at the stop sign. They were patiently waiting their turn to go when I was ready to make my turn. I slow down, put on my blinker, start my left hand turn and then think "wait, there's a car there, don't hit them, be careful". Well, of course, now I am watching the car (who by the way is still not moving from the stop sign) but while I'm staring at them and doing my best mentally to steer away from them (you know the old saying, look where you want to go). I wind up driving off on the dirt on the right side of the road. Still no problem as I haven't lost control and I'm heading back towards the roadway. Well, then I notice the sign directly in my path. Now I make the biggest mistake of the day and decide that riding a full sized bike with street tires, on dirt, I can not only turn hard left to avoid the sign, but I can give it gas at the same time. Needless to say, I wound up in the dirt with the bike laying on my leg. That ended my day as I wound up in an ambulance with a possible broken leg and my busted bike wound up in the back of a truck coming back to my house without me. Wound up that all I had was a really nasty bruise that took about a year to heal completely.

So, lessons learned that day. 1. Don't rush getting on the street, a little more time in the parking lot can do wonders. 2. Make sure the person helping you learn and leading your ride considers your best interest when helping or advising. 3. If the car at the stop sign isn't moving, there's no need to watch it as you try to turn beside it. 4. If you go off in the dirt, don't give it gas and don't try to make a hard turn. 5. Wearing full gear can save some injury (even if you burn up on the side of the road waiting for the ambulance). 6. Make sure you buy a bike that isn't too heavy for your friends to pick up off you if you wreck (they accidentally dropped it back on my leg after finding out it was heavier than they expected). 7. Percocet and Vicodin combined make you sound pretty funny to your friends when you try to tell them what happened. And the last lesson of that day: Don't let mistakes or accidents take away something you enjoy. Get back on that horse.

Well, this is NOT an entrance to the cointest, as I do not want to benefit from this story...

I am glad u made this coin, it looks great and it makes aware of a very important topic.

I myself lost a cousin due to a bike accident a few years ago. He was a few years older than myself and was hit by a car while driving his bike. It was a sunny day and nothing indicated the car was coming. It was a woman that crossed a red light, if I remember right and did not see my cousin. He was hit flew through the air and landed on a wall that broke his neck. He was only 25 at the time...

Here is another bicycle accident that happened to my brother-in-law. He was riding his mountain bike on a trail and he was alone. He came to a spot in the trail where there was a worn path on either side of some weeds in the middle. He thought to himself "Why not take the shortest route right through the middle of those weeds" and he did. He very quickly found out why everyone else was going around it. The weeds were hiding some stumps! He was thrown over the handlebars, took a very nasty fall and was unconscious. He was found by another biker thankfully quite a bit later who helped him to his car. He then drove himself home. (What an idiot for driving at all!! LOL) He basically had a LOT of cuts and bruises and also a concussion.

Lesson to be learned here. Mountain biking on trails is best done with a buddy. There probably is a very good reason that the trail splits and cross country may not be the best way to go. If you get hurt have yourself checked out by a doctor and don't just tough it out. You may be hurt more than you think.

Edited by LadyBee4T

Well, this is NOT an entrance to the cointest, as I do not want to benefit from this story...

I am glad u made this coin, it looks great and it makes aware of a very important topic.

I myself lost a cousin due to a bike accident a few years ago. He was a few years older than myself and was hit by a car while driving his bike. It was a sunny day and nothing indicated the car was coming. It was a woman that crossed a red light, if I remember right and did not see my cousin. He was hit flew through the air and landed on a wall that broke his neck. He was only 25 at the time...

I am sorry for your loss, my friend!! :laughing: People don't watch for bikes near as much as they should, hey, we sometimes barely see other cars or trucks...or even trains??? It is a crazy world where phones, food and make-up are more important than our fellow man!

Please drive responsibly!

My brother had an accident a few years ago while riding to his father in law's house. He was riding along the road that he traveled most every day and never had a problem. He was going through a curve and found some gravel and down he went. Luckily, he was not going very fast and did not slide very far. He slid enough to tear up his pants, and get a nice case of road rash on both hands and arms. My mom called to tell me he had an accident but was okay. I then called my brother and asked how he got the rash if he was wearing gear. He told me that he only had the leather jacket so he wasn't wearing it because it was so hot. He also didn't bother with his gloves because he's stubborn. Well, I went to ebay, bought him a jacket and told him I never want to hear that he got road rash because it was too hot again. Of course, since then, he hasn't fixed his bike so he's not riding but he has a nice mesh jacket for when he starts back. Or when his daughter learns to ride it and takes it from him.

So I have 10 boxes of Bicycle and Motorcycle Nomads sitting on my floor! Bad news they were all made incorrectly. A portion of the coin was not colored properly and the whole job is being remade as result. I'm waiting for an ETA from the factory but it should be about 2 weeks.

Not my day.

We'll keep ya posted!

So I have 10 boxes of Bicycle and Motorcycle Nomads sitting on my floor! Bad news they were all made incorrectly. A portion of the coin was not colored properly and the whole job is being remade as result. I'm waiting for an ETA from the factory but it should be about 2 weeks.

Not my day.

We'll keep ya posted!

Oh no :laughing: , I hope it was the mints fault Plus, I hope you don't have to pay to send them back.

Not my day.

We'll keep ya posted!

Oh no :laughing: , I hope it was the mints fault Plus, I hope you don't have to pay to send them back.

WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH ALL THOSE COINS?????

Not my day.

We'll keep ya posted!

Oh no :) , I hope it was the mints fault Plus, I hope you don't have to pay to send them back.

WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH ALL THOSE COINS?????

The numbers will be used on the new Coins, so I will be working on ways to turn them into something useful, after the numbers are removed...Yes, it was a Mint error, not ours. Remember that any post at all in this thread stands a chance of winning a prize in a series of random draws. Any ideas on how to recycle the defective coins will be welcome, and a really good idea might even win you a prize??

How about just etching the numbers off of the coins and turning them into Tb's? This way they are still out traveling and getting the word out. :)

I will see how they look whe the numbers come off, but they are coated in epoxy, so I fear that the number removal will leave them looking very bad. I'll be trying something to cover the damage I do. Some may be turned into fridge magnets??

Maybe you should leave the numbers on them and then people get to own both, but the blemished one gets sent out traveling while the other is kept by the "owner".

That's another idea that has crossed my mind. I will have to see how Chris feels about that, since he was kind enough to let me keep the defective ones. I will not be able to match up the ones that are sold, since they will ship before I ever see them, but I may do that with some prize Coins. I think it would be better to release the correct versin, not the defecive one. The defect is in the part that says "Trackable at GeoCaching.com" and without the color fill there, you cannot read it, so they may be easy targets to get lost.

Could you drill holes through the numbers. I would buy some and attach a TB tag with an additional message that their was a mistake made and some mistakes can be fixed while others like hitting a bike can not. It is something you have to live with the rest of your life. If someone dies you can be charged with manslaughter and go to prison so please pay attention, be observant and look twice or something like that.

Could you drill holes through the numbers. I would buy some and attach a TB tag with an additional message that their was a mistake made and some mistakes can be fixed while others like hitting a bike can not. It is something you have to live with the rest of your life. If someone dies you can be charged with manslaughter and go to prison so please pay attention, be observant and look twice or something like that.

I like that idea. Like a mistake on a coin is not a big deal, but a mistake on the road could cost someone their life.

any way to get the message out there, even with the blemished coins is a great idea.

Now how to use the blemished coins:

Key fobs

refrigerator magnets (I like this idea previously posted)

TBs (also previously posted)

earrings

bracelet charms

bus tokens

these would all be ways to increase awareness to geocachers and the general public as well.

"hey, what's that on your bracelet?"

"oh, this, its a geocoin that was made to increase awareness of bicycles and motorcycles on the roads"

"wow, I guess I never thought about it before. They are hard to see sometimes. I will watch more closely from now on"

"Great, and thanks, help spread the message"

I like that idea. Like a mistake on a coin is not a big deal, but a mistake on the road could cost someone their life.

I like this idea a lot!! It would end up being less work(and cost) than my Fridge Magnet idea, and would work better to spread the word. They don't even need to be trackable. I think a strong laminated card explaining that concept and asking that the Coins "Travel, even without being tracked" will help get the word to more eyes. If they stall out, or get grabbed, then that's OK too.

I like this idea a lot!! It would end up being less work(and cost) than my Fridge Magnet idea, and would work better to spread the word. They don't even need to be trackable. I think a strong laminated card explaining that concept and asking that the Coins "Travel, even without being tracked" will help get the word to more eyes. If they stall out, or get grabbed, then that's OK too.

U can make them trackable on a different page, there are some out there that do not charge at all, I could name at least one that is used a lot in Europe...

Edited by Tschakko

U can make them trackable on a different page, there are some out there that do not charge at all, I could name at least one that is used a lot in Europe...

I think I like the no tracking idea, since it even better illustrates the idea of a mistake, and will help make the point.

Just some ideas to work from,

On the front of a card...

Look Twice For Bikes

Make No Mistakes

I'm Traveling but I'm not Trackable

on the back...

This Coin was supposed to be Trackable at GeoCaching.com, but due to a mistake at the mint, it cannot be tracked. I have set it loose to travel around anyway, to remind drivers that mistakes out on the road are forever and cannot be taken back. Please try to consider that as you drive around, and remember to Look Twice For Bikes. You can drop this Coin into another Cache to help spread the word.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Look Twice For Bikes

Make No Mistakes

on the back...

This Coin was supposed to be Trackable at GeoCaching.com, but due to a mistake at the mint, it cannot be tracked. I have set it loose to travel around anyway, to remind drivers that mistakes out on the road are forever and cannot be taken back. Please try to consider that as you drive around, and remember to Look Twice For Bikes. You can drop this Coin into another Cache to help spread the word.

Thats an excellent idea, as long as you can remove the tracking numbers completly so they don't get mixed up with the reminted coin.

Look Twice For Bikes

Make No Mistakes

on the back...

I think you're on the right track, but wondering how you're going to cover the tracking numbers up??

Look Twice For Bikes

Make No Mistakes

on the back...

I think you're on the right track, but wondering how you're going to cover the tracking numbers up??

A dremel might work.

Look Twice For Bikes

Make No Mistakes

on the back...

A dremel might work.

Nah, they're painted where the numbers are if I read correctly!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

A dremel might work.

They are coated in epoxy. my concern about that is...once I grind off the number, the resulting damage will be very ugly. In addition, these coins are iron based and once the epoxy and Black Nickel are removed from that section, it will rust. Once I remove the numbers I plan to patch that epoxy it I can.

A dremel might work.

They are coated in epoxy. my concern about that is...once I grind off the number, the resulting damage will be very ugly. In addition, these coins are iron based and once the epoxy and Black Nickel are removed from that section, it will rust. Once I remove the numbers I plan to patch that epoxy it I can.

That sounds like a good way to do it. Black epoxy wouldn't look that bad either. Here's another idea. If you need help releasing some, we can post stories and the ones you choose will get one of the flawed coins. We print out and attach our story to it and place it in a cache. One side of the card could be the paragraph about the mistake at the mint and the other could be an individual story. Just an idea. I like the original idea too though.

That sounds like a good way to do it. Black epoxy wouldn't look that bad either. Here's another idea. If you need help releasing some, we can post stories and the ones you choose will get one of the flawed coins. We print out and attach our story to it and place it in a cache. One side of the card could be the paragraph about the mistake at the mint and the other could be an individual story. Just an idea. I like the original idea too though.

I was wondering if Black epoxy was available. I haven't worked with epoxy before. I guess I'll be loking for some tips for working with it, and which attachments work best for the job with the dremel.

Wow, what a great coin. I was looking for a coin to go with one of my favorite hobbies, and the bike coin is it. I can't wait as this will be my first tracking item.

Now to find coins for some of my other hobbies:

1) motorboating

2) beer drinking

3) being a pain in the butt

Well, if I mix beer drinking with motorboating, then I really am pain in the butt.

There is a Life Jacket Coin!!

I was wondering if Black epoxy was available. I haven't worked with epoxy before. I guess I'll be loking for some tips for working with it, and which attachments work best for the job with the dremel.

robert use a metal paint (can be found at a craft store, and seal the coin again with a spray laquer, or a clear poly from home dep. should do the trick ,, epoxy is hard to work with, as its very thick and goopy,,im pretty sure the mint when coloring uses a thinner type , then is aviable to the public.

Wow, what a great coin. I was looking for a coin to go with one of my favorite hobbies, and the bike coin is it. I can't wait as this will be my first tracking item.

Now to find coins for some of my other hobbies:

1) motorboating

2) beer drinking

3) being a pain in the butt

Well, if I mix beer drinking with motorboating, then I really am pain in the butt.

There is a Life Jacket Coin!!

aha ha ha ha ha ahaha thats funny!!!

Great looking coins.

Back in my youth, I used to ride a bike just about everywhere I went. I had several close calls, but luckily never got hurt. I had my elbow and pedals grazed more than once by cars passing me...luckily at low speed...and got run into the ditch more than once. That was back in the '80's, before cell phones. It's a lot more dangerous on the road these days!

Great looking coins.

Back in my youth, I used to ride a bike just about everywhere I went. I had several close calls, but luckily never got hurt. I had my elbow and pedals grazed more than once by cars passing me...luckily at low speed...and got run into the ditch more than once. That was back in the '80's, before cell phones. It's a lot more dangerous on the road these days!

If you would like to share some of the details of these stories, and what lessons can be learned from them, you may win a coin for yourself! See the previous post that described this MiniGame.

Good to see the coins are on their way, means that much more bike awareness being spread!!

I received a nice message on one of my owned coins this morning from some friends in California, great to see the responses to these Todie's Wild Ride coins, can't wait to see what people think of these coins as well as a future project also aimed at raising bike awareness!!

THANKS Robert, well done my friend!!

Good to see the coins are on their way, means that much more bike awareness being spread!!

I received a nice message on one of my owned coins this morning from some friends in California, great to see the responses to these Todie's Wild Ride coins, can't wait to see what people think of these coins as well as a future project also aimed at raising bike awareness!!

THANKS Robert, well done my friend!!

Hey, That's a nice Avatar you've got there!!