Evil caches

While driving up rte 95 yesterday, I noticed a hill with thousands of rocks. The thought came to create the world's most evil cache - one that was virtually impossible to find. Take a picture of the rocks and say "it's in plain sight." epoxy a container to the bottom of a rock, make the hint "leave no stone unturned."

Don't worry, I won't do it, I was just bored and thinking evil thoughts about torturing fellow cachers.

Someone somewhere must have some really evil caches - anyone know of any? ;)

Two thoughts on the topic that geopals have shared with me:

1, anyone can hide a cache that no one can find. It takes real skill and understanding to hide a cache that is very hard to find, but is findable, and remains fun to look for.

2. It used to be that we only hid caches to keep muggles from finding them, but now it can be fun to hide them so we have trouble finding them too.

My mind has developed separate meanings for 'evil' and 'nasty'. Your proposed cache does not qualify as 'evil', merely 'nasty'. "Evi;" is imaginative and difficult. I'm working on a evil nine-stage mystery multi. It may take months, but it is fun! 'Evil' requires challenging imagination. 'Rock in a rock pile' is not fun. That's just 'nasty.

Two thoughts on the topic that geopals have shared with me:

1, anyone can hide a cache that no one can find. It takes real skill and understanding to hide a cache that is very hard to find, but is findable, and remains fun to look for.

2. It used to be that we only hid caches to keep muggles from finding them, but now it can be fun to hide them so we have trouble finding them too.

I'm working one that is deliberately in the midst of muggles. It's at a baseball field, the fun is casually going up to it while watching the game, palming it, sign the log, replace it while in plain sight of muggles.

My mind has developed separate meanings for 'evil' and 'nasty'. Your proposed cache does not qualify as 'evil', merely 'nasty'. "Evi;" is imaginative and difficult. I'm working on a evil nine-stage mystery multi. It may take months, but it is fun! 'Evil' requires challenging imagination. 'Rock in a rock pile' is not fun. That's just 'nasty.

Like I said I was bored. I get nasty when I'm bored.

I agree with the Hairy Finned one. Evil means a challenge created by a well done container and hide. Nasty is a hide with a XXillion possible spots that is simply a random search to find the right one. Evil is fun and nasty isn't. When you find an evil hide you feel a sense of accomplishment but when you find a nsty hide you feel a sense of relief. And for the nasty hide you tend to ask yourself why you even bothered.

Keep in mind that a given location could be the spot for an evil hide or for a nasty hide. It all depends on how the cache is set up.

I'm working one that is deliberately in the midst of muggles. It's at a baseball field, the fun is casually going up to it while watching the game, palming it, sign the log, replace it while in plain sight of muggles.

Be sure to make plenty of cache replacements. Caches like this don't last long. ;)

Evil to me is a cache underneath a 10,000 pound boulder. Cachers would need to bring a crane to access the cache.

Be sure to make plenty of cache replacements. Caches like this don't last long. ;)

Evil to me is a cache underneath a 10,000 pound boulder. Cachers would need to bring a crane to access the cache.

I happened to meet the owner of the oldest cache in Maine (ft. McCleary) at Kittery Trading Post. He told me they tried hard to do one that could only be reached at low tide - too many problems and they gave up.

Wouldn't that hide likely require special equipment to hide? And likely to find? That would be a high difficulty rating rather than evil or nasty. How did that cache get there to begin with? The places you like to go wouldn't seem to be spots where cachers would be able to bring in heavy equipment to place a cache. I guess I am confused now. Time for dinner.

Wouldn't that hide likely require special equipment to hide? And likely to find? That would be a high difficulty rating rather than evil or nasty. How did that cache get there to begin with? The places you like to go wouldn't seem to be spots where cachers would be able to bring in heavy equipment to place a cache. I guess I am confused now. Time for dinner.

Yep, it would be a solid 5 star difficulty. Rock chockers designed for gold mining, a mechanical advantage pulley lifting system, and some heavy duty come-alongs could make it do-able in remote areas. ;)B)

Some of my most popular caches are actually park and grabs (hidden in historical places.)

Yep, it would be a solid 5 star difficulty. Rock chockers designed for gold mining, a mechanical advantage pulley lifting system, and some heavy duty come-alongs could make it do-able in remote areas. ;)B)

Some of my most popular caches are actually park and grabs (hidden in historical places.)

I guess I would need a bigger backpack for those.

Someone somewhere must have some really evil caches - anyone know of any? :D

Before You Can Torment, You Must Learn To Annoy 10 finds and 9 DNFs in 4 years.

Not an evil or nasty cache per se, but a b!tchen hard hide in a neat spot:

A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack 41 finds and 18 DNFs in 4 years. The most often posted DNF is "Best DNF EVER!."

b16a51bb-eaae-4d3c-bf59-cc450cfaec99.jpg

e78b1c8e-1abd-400f-ae39-ec7b07908155.jpg

9c077fd9-530d-4ec1-bbd5-87bb79c0b618.jpg

809543f3-b520-45eb-95a2-7edd14cf59b1.jpg

c925c2d8-934f-49f0-997e-d6ded02aa0aa.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

To me it doesn't sound like a cache I'd enjoy seeking. Sounds like the proverbial needle in a haystack that could get frustrating pretty quickly.

Here's an example of a great cache that is crazy difficult yet still findable and one that people get excited about when they can't find it. It has 73 DNFs and 21 finds, plus 100+ notes from people commenting on it. I can't say too much more about it because I couldn't find anything more than the decoys, but you go there, and there's nothing unusual about the area. It's a pretty open area, and there doesn't seem to be many places to hide a cache so you get there thinking it won't be too bad. After while, you're running away with your tail between your legs.

Someone somewhere must have some really evil caches - anyone know of any? :(

Before You Can Torment, You Must Learn To Annoy 10 finds and 9 DNFs in 4 years.

Not an evil or nasty cache per se, but a b!tchen hard hide in a neat spot:

A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack 41 finds and 18 DNFs in 4 years. The most often posted DNF is "Best DNF EVER!."

b16a51bb-eaae-4d3c-bf59-cc450cfaec99.jpg

e78b1c8e-1abd-400f-ae39-ec7b07908155.jpg

9c077fd9-530d-4ec1-bbd5-87bb79c0b618.jpg

809543f3-b520-45eb-95a2-7edd14cf59b1.jpg

c925c2d8-934f-49f0-997e-d6ded02aa0aa.jpg

That's a darn cool place for a cache, Snoogs. :)

While driving up rte 95 yesterday, I noticed a hill with thousands of rocks. The thought came to create the world's most evil cache - one that was virtually impossible to find. Take a picture of the rocks and say "it's in plain sight." epoxy a container to the bottom of a rock, make the hint "leave no stone unturned."

Don't worry, I won't do it, I was just bored and thinking evil thoughts about torturing fellow cachers.

Someone somewhere must have some really evil caches - anyone know of any? :(

To add to what others have said here, there are some types of hides that are very easily to made into difficult (nasty) hides. Their very nature makes them hard to find, yet they require little or no thought to create. Experienced cachers for the most part tend to have very little respect for them. Rockpile caches are one of those. Micros in spruce trees are another, even amonst those that don't mind micros. (I don't even care for smalls in spruce trees, myself).

To me it doesn't sound like a cache I'd enjoy seeking. Sounds like the proverbial needle in a haystack that could get frustrating pretty quickly.

Here's an example of a great cache that is crazy difficult yet still findable and one that people get excited about when they can't find it. It has 73 DNFs and 21 finds, plus 100+ notes from people commenting on it. I can't say too much more about it because I couldn't find anything more than the decoys, but you go there, and there's nothing unusual about the area. It's a pretty open area, and there doesn't seem to be many places to hide a cache so you get there thinking it won't be too bad. After while, you're running away with your tail between your legs.

23 finds and 73 DNF! Now that's my kind of cache! Sounds hilarious :):(

There's evil, and then there's just plain stupid. Finding a skillfully hidden and camoflaged evil cache because of caching skill and observational talent is an achievement to be proud of. Finding a needle-in-a-haystack hide simply because you got lucky and picked up the correct rock in a field of 1,000,000 identical rocks is just... luck.

That's a darn cool place for a cache, Snoogs. B)

Thanks Will. Of all my hides, that's my favorite. B) I hope you get to see it some day....

It's very rewarding as a cache owner to see so many actual finders of that cache name it among their favorites. :(

If the Houston area had that kind of terrain, I wouldn't be counting the days until I retire, so I can MOVE back home to the mountains. Just 5,439 days to go! YIPPEE!!! :D

If I could live in that area year round, I'd have hundreds if not over 1,000 caches hidden. :)

That's a darn cool place for a cache, Snoogs. B)

Thanks Will. Of all my hides, that's my favorite. B) I hope you get to see it some day....

It's very rewarding as a cache owner to see so many actual finders of that cache name it among their favorites. :(

If the Houston area had that kind of terrain, I wouldn't be counting the days until I retire, so I can MOVE back home to the mountains. Just 5,439 days to go! YIPPEE!!! :D

If I could live in that area year round, I'd have hundreds if not over 1,000 caches hidden. :)

Seeing one of your caches on a favorites list or reading a really nice log makes placing caches which require a little imagination, perhaps a bit of a hike, and a clever hide worth the effort.

I placed on a week ago or so and the second person to find it wrote that they enjoyed the area so much they spent 2 hours there.

The Mono Lake area and much of the easter slope of the Sierra Nevada is one of my favorite areas. When I lived in California I used to visit that area frequently (usually staying somewhere on the June Lake Loop). It's really beautiful country and I hope to get back there sometime.

Needle in a haystack hides are not fun for me (such as a micro hidden in a stone wall for example or a modded pine cone in a dense pine forest for another). Several cachers in our area seem to like them but I am not one of them. In plain sight hides (using urban camo) are great fun (JakeinTexas has a few that are mind benders) but "evil" caches are not my thing. I am not dogging those who like them, I am just expressing my opinion.

JMHO.

There's two in this area that haven't been found yet. GC171MH and GC1B48B. Both are probably nanos (Mr. Magnetos, teeny tiny little %*#&rs, you get the idea) on an old rail bridge and old mine cart, respectively. I don't even look at 'em anymore, but they do get the occasional DNF.

It's annoying, really. Why put a cache everyone will DNF on, when you can put a nice cache in a nice spot that people can find?

Edited by PJPeters

There's two in this area that haven't been found yet. GC171MH and GC1B48B. Both are probably nanos (Mr. Magnetos, teeny tiny little %*#&rs, you get the idea) on an old rail bridge and old mine cart, respectively. I don't even look at 'em anymore, but they do get the occasional DNF.

It's annoying, really. Why put a cache everyone will DNF on, when you can put a nice cache in a nice spot that people can find?

I would concur that at least one of them is definitely a nano since all the description says is NANO. :ph34r:

I used to like hides like that, but they don't appeal to me as much now. If I'm going to do a challenging cache, I'd do something clever that will make me go, "Oh wow. That is so cool" and then talk about how good it was for days afterward.

If the cache is placed to bring someone there to experience the area and a nano is the only thing that will not get muggled, then a super detailed hint is a good way around it being so tough.

My latest hide (I won't link it for fear of being accused of blatant advertising) is a nanocache, camouflaged (by matt green paint) hidden under a big log and assorted handfuls of pine needles and twigs so that the hiding place blends in with the surrounding ground. It's in a section of thick pine forest. The hint is "near a tree". There's no other help (no paint marks or clues near the cache, no hidden hints in the text or anything similar), except that I mention the log and covering (there are other logs around, and of course, GPS signal isn't great). That's all you get.

Evil enough? Sounds just too nasty and annoying on the face of it, but I've set the difficulty to only 2* (1.5 terrain) - and I think that it's correct. I can't explain why without giving it away, but it's a real "evil hide" without being vicious. Only 1 team has attempted (and found) it so far, but e-mailed me with compliments! They went to it straight away, but picked up the cache several times before identifying it...

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Here's an example of a great cache that is crazy difficult ...

23 finds and 73 DNF! Now that's my kind of cache! Sounds hilarious :P:ph34r:

If that's your kind of cache check out this one.

It has 3 finds and 188 DNFs

That's gotta be some kind of record. Wish there was one like that nearby that i could keep going back to. Sounds like it is actually there, cauce 3 actually found it.

I think my thoughts on this can be summed up by coining a statement made by Chris Rock:

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Realistically, you can drive with your feet if you want to, but that doesn't make it a good idea."

I left out the cuss words, but I think this applies to caching quite well. I don't mind a challenge, but wouldn't like a cache that is designed NOT to be found. There ARE a lot of creative and imaginative caches that keep me interested in the sport. I would think that the evil ones would just get folks discouraged. Plus, gas is too darn $$$ to go to do a cache and end up with a DNF just because someone wanted to be nasty.

:)

Someone somewhere must have some really evil caches - anyone know of any? :)

This sounds good at first.

Then someone does not want to play nice.

Check out this cache and the aftermath.

BLM'S Burmuda Triangle

Logscaler

Evil, to me, implies fun, findable, but difficult.

My Rambler's Evil Micro seems to entertain while still being hard to find.

The majority of finders have to call me for a hint.

Found 111 times, DNFed 26 times, here are just a few of the 141 logs since it was hidden 12/24/04.

I suspect that the reason it is enjoyed and not considered a PITA is that I tell them in the name and the description that it is an evil hide, and I give my phone number so they don't have to leave with a DNF unless they want to.

July 7 by OHail (1149 found)

Found the way to the cache site. Was looking around. GPS units didn't want to settle down. Looked a while when we decided to call TAR. Then find out Zephyr and I were about a foot from it and looking at similar camo. Very nicely hidden.

[view this log on a separate page]

July 7 by Zephyr01 (2015 found)

Evil...evil because of the PI or cuz we needed a PAF from the owner to find the darn thing--BOTH I THINK!! LOL

Found out caching today with O'Hail.

TFTC-and the PAF!

Zephyr01

July 2 by reddog35222 (71 found)

My 2nd try for this . After searching a while gave in and called for hint . Thanks for the fun .

July 2 by LadyGunslinger (348 found)

Out caching a little with Reddog35222 on the way into B'ham and stopped for this one. Reddog35222 had been here before and searched high and low, we both searched high and low with GPSr bouncing all over the place this time, so finally after about 20 minutes gave in to the temptation and called owner for a clue. After a short chat with owner cache was found right where it was supposed to be and we both shook our heads for a bit at each other...we should have been able to find THAT shouldn't we?!?!?! LOL Anyway, thanks to the Alabama Rambler for the clue and the great hide! SL

June 29 by BSouthernBoi22 (586 found)

This is one of the best cache's ever. Its very tricky and def. is a challenge. With a little help from our pal TAR, and still more searching, we were able to come up with the smiley! I think Lazer had been here twice before, so maybe I brought some goodluck to the hunt..LOL Thanks for the cache!

June 29 by Lazer (1570 found)

This is about my third visit to this cache. So today since I had another cacher with me I decided to use a lifeline after more frustration by both of us. Very clever cache, TAR!

June 28 by instantclogger (438 found)

Found with UglyInjun on a "screw gas prices and let's go caching" day. great hide! We looked around for a little while and since we were in kind of a hurry and the coords were kind of bouncy we phoned TAR and he pointed us in the right direction. After we knew what area to look in it wasn't long before UglyInjun hollered "found it!" That was great!! TFTC!

June 12 by robinsonclan (24 found)

Despite what appeared to be a hint-packed call to TheAlabamaRambler (which may have been lost in translation when the message was delivered to the rest of the clan by our 14-year old) and a good amount of hunting in one spot and then in a completely different spot; and despite the poison ivy which had to eventually be treated with two shots and a dose pack of steroids, we had NO luck finding. We blamed our low batteries, the thick tree covering, anything to ease the pain of defeat (and our second DNF in a row). We will definitely try again soon.

March 27 by earthrooster (1232 found)

Well, ya know, I happen to like these evil buggers. I've cussed a few of them in my time, but I really love it when I find one! As it happens, this one is my 1000th cache! Yay me!! It took me almost 30 minutes, two scratches and a jab, but I got the sucker. I didn't even lose much blood on the way back to my Jeep. Thanks for a great one!

earthrooster - trucker from Alabama

March 23 by joefrog (1832 found)

I still remember my attempt at FTF on this $%#&@, on Christmas Eve around midnight, ages ago!

Yep... still cussing you.

March 2 by quizzle consortium (36 found)

found it but had to call the owner for help

March 2 by sgthiker (762 found)

Found while on a cache run in the area. Met with the owner just prior to coming here and knew I had a lifeline if needed. Was able to find under the supervision of a nearby homeowner. Lots of past problems in this area and they just want to avoid trouble. Please do not enter the cache area through fence off interstate ramp. Nice hide! I've found some similar that made it easier, but STILL!! TFTH

February 15 by Searching4Fun (1216 found)

EVIL IS RIGHT!!!! Had to call to get a hint!! Great talking to the owner..bummer that I needed a hint! EVIL EVIL EVIL! Need I mention EVIL! Thanks for placing.

~S4F

February 15 by january14 (1322 found)

#600. Found on a nighttime caching run with Searching4Fun tonight. Hard find. Coordinates for me were off about 13 feet roughly, so, had to use a phone a friend to the owner to get some additional guidance. Great Hide. Thanks for placing the cache. Enjoyed it, sorta.

February 2 by RDRIDR (943 found)

We really got lucky on this one. No phone calls , hubby walked up to it. and Bingo. SL TFTH2 Still in good shape, hasn't been found for almost 3 months.

November 25, 2007 by airsax (2501 found)

Visited the spot on my way in and after a search decided to head off to another cache. Got a hint from the owner and came back. Not sure i ever would have found this one had it not been for the hint. Thats one evil micro!!!

November 25, 2007 by Clay Pigeons (385 found)

All I have to say is my man...."this ain't right!" If it were not for the phone call to you I probably would not have went back. Very cleaver and sneaky indeed. You will be paid back!! (hehe) We enjoyed it immensely. TFTC SL

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

If that's your kind of cache check out this one.

It has 3 finds and 188 DNFs

No need to dismantle anything. Searching may involve; flashlight, ladder, work gloves, latex gloves, filter mask, mirror, black light, microscope, telescope, tweezers, screwdriver, magnet, mist net, wire, dog, Benadryl, Cortisone, Groucho glasses, slightly larger glasses, little brown pointy shoes with fuzzy balls, tachyon scan, Detect Magic spell, psychic photography, séance to commune with Houdini, and the old ‘butter and shaved squirrel’ trick we all know...
:laughing::anitongue:

Found 111 times, DNFed 26 times, here are just a few of the 141 logs since it was hidden 12/24/04.

I suspect that the reason it is enjoyed and not considered a PITA is that I tell them in the name and the description that it is an evil hide, and I give my phone number so they don't have to leave with a DNF unless they want to.

Thanks Rambler. That sounds evil and fun, or fun and evil.

That's what I had in mind with my initial post. After reading some of the rather angry replies, most of whom probably didn't read to the end where I said "don't worry, I won't do it" I wish I would have chosen a better example for a kick off of an "evil caches" discussion.

I think if someone was going to do a truly evil cache, nearly impossible but very clever, and put that in the description, then one has the choice of looking for it or not. After all, it would be impossible for me to find all the caches within a 25 mile radius of my home, so if one is described as evil, I could simply choose to not look for it.

If I were to do an evil cache I would:

1. make it very close to parking.

2. make it give the person a good laugh when they finally found it.

3. make all those who DNF have a good time anyway.

I agree that a pile of 1,000 rocks is stupid and not worth going after, but what about a pile of rocks that has a small clue like a smaller rock epoxied to the top of the one - would that elevate it from "stupid" to "evil but fun?"

How about a pine cone that's the "wrong" species?

How about a rock that is a different type from all the ones it's hidden amongst?

How about a birch branch sticking out of a maple tree?

Somewhere in my searches I came across a guy who had 2 ivy leaves velcroed together; he got mostly dnf's but it was amazing how many still came back to it. He had to archive it because he moved. Anyone know of it? It was in a group of flicker images of cleverly disguised caches.

Edited by trolleyfan

Here is a good one, and nicely named "MEAN STREAK"

Its only a 4.5, but 80 DNF's and 2 finds and those 2 finds happened as co-FTF's. No one since.

There are 91 notes posted also. It took over a year to be found and finally, it was found.

It made me do this one "Backseat Driver"

Its not a needle in a haystack, it challenges you to think, uses many clues and well, its been called EVIL by several veteran cachers 2 of whom made me upgrade it to a 5 star.

The locals have put together a nice hunting party to go after it...! And I say, GOOD LUCK.

Thanks Rambler. That sounds evil and fun, or fun and evil.

That's what I had in mind with my initial post. After reading some of the rather angry replies, most of whom probably didn't read to the end where I said "don't worry, I won't do it" I wish I would have chosen a better example for a kick off of an "evil caches" discussion.

I think if someone was going to do a truly evil cache, nearly impossible but very clever, and put that in the description, then one has the choice of looking for it or not. After all, it would be impossible for me to find all the caches within a 25 mile radius of my home, so if one is described as evil, I could simply choose to not look for it.

If I were to do an evil cache I would:

1. make it very close to parking.

2. make it give the person a good laugh when they finally found it.

3. make all those who DNF have a good time anyway.

I agree that a pile of 1,000 rocks is stupid and not worth going after, but what about a pile of rocks that has a small clue like a smaller rock epoxied to the top of the one - would that elevate it from "stupid" to "evil but fun?"

How about a pine cone that's the "wrong" species?

How about a rock that is a different type from all the ones it's hidden amongst?

How about a birch branch sticking out of a maple tree?

Somewhere in my searches I came across a guy who had 2 ivy leaves velcroed together; he got mostly dnf's but it was amazing how many still came back to it. He had to archive it because he moved. Anyone know of it? It was in a group of flicker images of cleverly disguised caches.

It was under the thread cool cache containers. Genius if you ask me, but people were concerned about having to tussle up the area too much.

A hollow bristlecone in a long-leaf pine tree, looks natural at first glance till that wait-a-minute light comes on.

Actually a pine cone in an oak tree is something most folks don't notice unless it's hung in plain view. I have a picture somewhere of a very experienced cacher in GA looking about with one like this six inches from his face... He never saw it until it was pointed out!

A silk magnolia leaf in a magnolia tree with the coords to the next stage written on the back as a stage of a multi.

A fake sprig of monkey-grass in a monkey-grass border.

One of my favorites: many trees, such as pines, shed bark. Dead or dying pines, fer instance, shed large patches of bark. Drive a nail in the tree (make sure the greenies aren't looking), embed a magnetic cache in the bark patch or make a wire loop for it to hang on the nail, stick it back on the tree. Evil!

I have one, used to be a cache, had to make it into a TB since it travels with me to events, that is two green cloth ivy leaves sewn together with a TB in the pocket (when it was a cache it held a log in the pocket). Hang that bugger amongst similar-looking leaves and it is indeed evil to find!

Anyhoo, I have done or found all of the above and they are all difficult-but-fun 'evil' caches.

And before anyone says it, I am sure it happens but I have never seen a place torn up where folks searched for an evil cache, most cachers are better than that. I know where some of the above are that have been in place for quite a long time.

Here is a good one, and nicely named "MEAN STREAK"

Its only a 4.5, but 80 DNF's and 2 finds and those 2 finds happened as co-FTF's. No one since.

There are 91 notes posted also. It took over a year to be found and finally, it was found.

It made me do this one "Backseat Driver"

Its not a needle in a haystack, it challenges you to think, uses many clues and well, its been called EVIL by several veteran cachers 2 of whom made me upgrade it to a 5 star.

The locals have put together a nice hunting party to go after it...! And I say, GOOD LUCK.

Oh how I wish someone would do one like that in the Dover, New Hampshire area - that sounds like such fun.

Incidently, your link to "backseat driver" doesn't work for me.

A hollow bristlecone in a long-leaf pine tree, looks natural at first glance till that wait-a-minute light comes on.

Actually a pine cone in an oak tree is something most folks don't notice unless it's hung in plain view. I have a picture somewhere of a very experienced cacher in GA looking about with one like this six inches from his face... He never saw it until it was pointed out!

A silk magnolia leaf in a magnolia tree with the coords to the next stage written on the back as a stage of a multi.

A fake sprig of monkey-grass in a monkey-grass border.

One of my favorites: many trees, such as pines, shed bark. Dead or dying pines, fer instance, shed large patches of bark. Drive a nail in the tree (make sure the greenies aren't looking), embed a magnetic cache in the bark patch or make a wire loop for it to hang on the nail, stick it back on the tree. Evil!

I have one, used to be a cache, had to make it into a TB since it travels with me to events, that is two green cloth ivy leaves sewn together with a TB in the pocket (when it was a cache it held a log in the pocket). Hang that bugger amongst similar-looking leaves and it is indeed evil to find!

Anyhoo, I have done or found all of the above and they are all difficult-but-fun 'evil' caches.

And before anyone says it, I am sure it happens but I have never seen a place torn up where folks searched for an evil cache, most cachers are better than that. I know where some of the above are that have been in place for quite a long time.

You are inspiring me, rambler. I thought about:

bring home a standing dead sapling from an area (hey greenies - it's DEAD) Make sure it's taller than you are so the cache can't be seen from the ground. drill the bottom and put a metal peg sticking out. In the top drill a hole big enough for a micro bison tube, and also drain holes in the bottom of that hole. (I've tried it - it works well) Go back to the exact spot and hammer a matching pipe into the ground. (I have no doubt that's against some kind of "do no harm" rule) you have to lift the DEAD sapling out to find the cache in the top.

Evil or Nasty minds, think alike, Harry.

I'm already planning this for one of a series.. 'World Of Stone ... But, But, there's so many of them?!?!?!?!"

The cache container is a cast concrete stone, with a micro embedded inside. Looking at a site with LOTS of look-alike stones (and same natural color, Even more devious!!) to put it in.

I haven't released it yet... still casting the stones.. takes 2-3 days for them to set, pop them out of the mold, and let them finish setting.. Then the paint.. OHHH!! The paint makes them look like weathered blue stone.

Bwahahahah!! oh.. sorry, got carried away.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

Evil or Nasty minds, think alike, Harry.

I'm already planning this for one of a series.. 'World Of Stone ... But, But, there's so many of them?!?!?!?!"

The cache container is a cast concrete stone, with a micro embedded inside. Looking at a site with LOTS of look-alike stones (and same natural color, Even more devious!!) to put it in.

I haven't released it yet... still casting the stones.. takes 2-3 days for them to set, pop them out of the mold, and let them finish setting.. Then the paint.. OHHH!! The paint makes them look like weathered blue stone.

Bwahahahah!! oh.. sorry, got carried away.

Stephen (gelfling6)

I love it. I remember reading of a process where you can "drill" a hole in a stone - on a drill press - a wooden dowel with some abrasive compound which wears away a hole - then it would be actual stone. Never tried it, but i want to. Keep up the good work. Met some cachers this morning at my latest hide (in the midst of the muggles) and we got talking about evil hides. The general talk was that they loved them and there should be more. Maybe Groundspeak should have a new category - "evil."