CHALLENGE: The Earth Turtle Challenge

tsunrisebey

I meant to add these earlier, I hosted my 2nd annual chili cook-off event this Saturday. I had everything packed up (including the turtles) and was headed out to the truck when I saw my friends in my back yard. We've had some really warm weather the past week after 2 weeks of below zero and lots of snow. Much of what I had has melted except for some drifts, anyhow, these antelope which are usually regulars to my back yard have been holed up during the bad weather and they have come back to feed now that it has warmed up and they can feed on the sage. It put a smile on my face. I couldn't get the turtles out in time to get a pic with them so you only get the antelope this go 'round.

f344bb46-a6df-45b3-bc3a-0df1c5625b66.jpg

83b7bed9-c12d-473f-b6e9-3c0a68736185.jpg

Wow!! What pictures. BTW, We are available for adoption......JoenSue <_<

I received the Earth Turtle bound for WA on Friday, just in time for a hike on Sunday :( rockitbiker and I headed out to the Wenatchee National Forest to find The Butte (GCGEFH), a cache placed in '03 with one logged find in '04 (although there was a unlogged find in the cache logbook from '05). I was fearing that the cache might actually be gone and I wouldn't be able to log the ET this trip as this was the only cache to be found on the hike, but we managed to dig it out of its hiding spot.

Did a double summit on the hike, so the ET got to see Teanaway Butte's neighbor 'Tarzan' Butte also.

61ca5e3b-a7d6-4168-98fc-57cad9d5d7d7.jpg

It's an ammo can and an Earth Turtle!

80cb2f7e-89b9-4fa1-9023-6e15e143566a.jpg

rockitbiker kindly poses with the ET

a91a469e-6bcd-4c3f-8a3e-7a2600978021.jpg

Dragontail Peak, Stuart Range, Enchantments

dcfc3889-f343-4f11-b671-9145e5d5328d.jpg

The remains of the fire lookout that was once found at the top of Teanaway Butte (and rb's gear!)

cca3a2b6-fc4c-40a9-8d67-681b051cb111.jpg

Was pretty sure this was the remains of the fire lookout potty

0082714a-5d46-4dc3-9a04-e869bc9c71c9.jpg

Just really hard to capture it in a picture

Most excellent! Gotta love the mountains :) Can't wait to see more.

You'll probably see more mountains from me, as that's where I mostly cache :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the pictures :P

And you managed not to throw this one over a cliff.....good job!

I'm always ultra aware of where the ammo can is headed now :D Now the concern is more not sending *myself* over the edge...

Ok,someone had to say it...'home, home on the range;where the deer and the antelope play....' Great Picture Stephanie!

And intolerable...wow! Your pictures are great, I miss mountain caching (and yes, caching in the snow) so much more now. Tomorrow when it's 40C outside I'll stare at your pictures and pretend I'm rolling in the snow :)

After failing to find the two caches I tried for at Seattle Center last weekend, I headed back to the hills where I'm more in my element :D When the Earth Turtle Challenge first started, I was actually living in North Bend, WA, which is pretty much where we were hiking. Our plan was to hit the cache Absolute Last Promontory (GCP2GJ) and then bushwhack up to the top of Green Mountain.

3301403459_dda93d9bf2.jpg

First stop, Twede's. Do people really cache without coffee?

Fans of Twin Peaks might better know this joint as Norma's Double R Diner.

3301404189_2e5510d71d.jpg

The mountain in the background is Mt. Si...

If heading to visit the APE cache from Seattle, you can't can't miss it...

It usually looks much more dramatic than in this picture :yikes:

3301405913_be3ffb5af0.jpg

It's a geocache and an Earth Turtle!

Sadly, most of the pictures were washed out.

Mt Rainier was peeking out over some of the mountains, but I didn't manage to capture.

That was ok though, as the Rainier views just got better and better as we made our way up :shocked:

3302237808_7d71125ccc.jpg

It was all up, up and more up starting here! A bit more than 4000 ft gain total.

3301408367_739ceb1023.jpg

Just another day along the I-90 corridor :anicute:

3301412667_2fb5575f19.jpg

Mt. Rainier from the cache I've not yet gotten around to listing.

3301545537_fc8ba80735.jpg

Rainier towering over everything else.

3301547043_1dbf7ecdcb.jpg

Green Mountain (GC1MZ00) almost went right there...

3302382482_4bf4a56da1.jpg

Can you tell I like the mountains?

Love them mountians! Loved the Mt. Rainier pic :yikes: Nice, nice job... looked like a great day for caching.

tsun

It was a *great day out*, one of the best in quite a while. I was a bit disappointed that I completely forgot about a local geocoin event that was yesterday though, as I'd hoped to have the coin bump into coreynjoey and some other forum folks.

Love them mountians! Loved the Mt. Rainier pic :yikes: Nice, nice job... looked like a great day for caching.

tsun

It was a *great day out*, one of the best in quite a while. I was a bit disappointed that I completely forgot about a local geocoin event that was yesterday though, as I'd hoped to have the coin bump into coreynjoey and some other forum folks.

I LOVE Your pictures, Chris !

3301412667_2fb5575f19.jpg

Mt. Rainier from the cache I've not yet gotten around to listing.

3301545537_fc8ba80735.jpg

Rainier towering over everything else.

Whoa!! What amazing scenery! Awesome view!!! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures. I can only hope to visit some day. :yikes: Please list that cache! That view will inspire me to go west & visit your mountains.

CF30

Yesterday we headed into Seattle. Previously I had hoped to show off the city a bit, Seattle Center in particular, but I didn't manage to come up with a find. I was pretty bent on that, so for the third cache we found a puzzle cache even I was able to correctly solve, Key West Storm.

Seattle Center is home to Key Arena, the Pacific Science Center, The EMP and Science Fiction Museum, the Space Needle and more. Some of the below pictures were taken from our DNF visit as they turned out *so* much better than the one's yesterday as we had no blue skies and all my pics were washed out :D

After spending some time at Seattle Center to pick up some waymarks/have fun, we made our way down to the Seattle waterfront to pick up the fourth cache.

3286141661_1eae6d1e25.jpg

mightyzinn with ET at International Fountain, Center House/Space Needle in background

3286142387_ddb2bfb7e4.jpg

ET with my fav sculpture @ waymark WM47D2

3286142885_8941352bfe.jpg

mightyzinn & ET on the way in to see the Lucy's Legacy exhibit at the Pacific Science Center

3286147331_ae4255a6ae.jpg

The arches above the Pacific Science Center

3286967522_8c2fd5a60c.jpg

Butterfly House @ Pacific Science Center

3286961668_3d1e038a84.jpg

Our DNF visit was on President's Day and the Space Needle was sporting a flag

3319238831_8042f4d90d.jpg

Science Fiction Museum, EMP and monorail track.

I tried to take a pic of the ET inside, but security was not amused :D

3320066156_2d0c7d4f70.jpg

We took a detour on our way down to the waterfront so we could swing by this place...

3319240093_cde81937c8.jpg

I'm lame-o for not setting up an appointment to get the ET inside

3320067192_19df5ed708.jpg

You can ride the monorail from Seattle Center to downtown,

but then you miss the caches, waymarks, benchmarks and a nice walk

The fourth cache we picked was also in Seattle, but down by the waterfront. One of the cool things about the Seattle area (IMO) is that we have mountains, the Puget Sound/Pacific, rainforest and desert all within a reasonable driving distance. Wanted to try and show off a bit of that so we headed down to Olympic Sculpture Park Walk, a great puzzle cache that was impossible for us to finish in one visit with mightyzinn along!

Sadly, all my pictures of the Olympic Sculpture Park artwork turned out horrible... It's a super groovy sculpture garden/park, too bad my camera didn't agree with the lack of sunshine/murky sky!

After this we walked back up to Seattle Center and hit one of our fav local used bookstores, where I almost had the ET get a free tarot card reading. Good times :D

3319259879_c4ae22bf24.jpg

mightyzinn, ET & cache!

It makes my head spin thinking about all the evil koodies and ick on those hands,

but he was so very proud of the clever pose...

3319421833_7f2c7eeb39.jpg

mightyzinn & ET with Port of Seattle in background

3320250190_241dd10172.jpg

More mightyzinn, ET and Puget Sound

3319423373_fb979c14e4.jpg

Olympics in the background

3319260903_3469b5d871.jpg

You can sorta see the Olympics behind redegg and mightyzinn

3319424109_e8423dae09.jpg

Looking down the shore towards Seattle

3319425671_0cccedb97d.jpg

Ferry, with Rainier melting into the clouds in the background

3319426443_9e44f0c137.jpg

Lots of big ships come into the Port of Seattle...

You can usually get amazing views of the Olympics across the Sound, but by the time we finished

lunch and crossed the street and started taking the pics, had no luck.

This challenge is temporarily and maybe indefinitely halted. Sorry. In the event I determine I need to close the challenge, I'll defintiely honor all special coins to the participants. Unfortunately this isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped.

tsun

oohhh, that is a pity.

Your coins show me the world. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tsun and thanks all who show there world, :anicute:

I am very impressed. :laughing:

Oh... :rolleyes:

That's a pity for sure!

Photos of this cahllenge showed me nice places in the world too! Places that I will not have a chance to visit!

I thought that ET were travelling too! I was waiting to come back and Iwas hoping to get lucky...

anyway, Tsun, thank you for the challenge it was a great one, and thank you because with this we saw beautiful places!!! :anicute:

This challenge is temporarily and maybe indefinitely halted. Sorry. In the event I determine I need to close the challenge, I'll defintiely honor all special coins to the participants. Unfortunately this isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped.

tsun

What up??? Please tell me you got the ET back (like, quite some time ago!!!!)

Hope this continues, this was an awesome idea... I want to do this with a couple of my hiking groups MMM coins, but send them off to groovy peaks around the world :-)

tsun

What up??? Please tell me you got the ET back (like, quite some time ago!!!!)

Hope this continues, this was an awesome idea... I want to do this with a couple of my hiking groups MMM coins, but send them off to groovy peaks around the world :-)

Chris,

Sorry, yes I do have that ET :rolleyes: That is the only one I do have presently and I'm thinking about how to work this now until / if I can get the other one back.

tsun :anicute: