Walking staff?

I walked in to Home Depot and got a 5 foot length of 1.5" hardwood dowel. Then I drilled out a hole in the bottom, placed a little glass tape and epoxy in the hole for strength, and drove in a large bolt with a 1" head. It's extremely tough and has been a useful tool while hiking!

Curious how many people use walking sticks/trekking staffs when they are out and about?

Always. Cut a sapling of the right size, debark it, stain and seal it, put a leather wrist strap on it, and there you go. Forget the store bought things. ANYBODY can get those. Make your own!

Here's a handy little guide on making one that will lat you many years. Have fun!

Not to sound too much like a negative nancy but I'm a pretty environmental type of guy and have to ask, why a sapling? A branch works just as well and doesn't hinder the regrowth of forests and woods. Promoting this also seems like a bad idea. Branches work just as well, Not harmful at all to the environment and can be found anywhere and of any type.

If your growing your own trees and waiting the 3 years it takes for a sapling to get big enough then forget what I said.

Using two Trekking poles in certain terrain is amazing. Like turning on the turbo, switching to 4-wheel drive, feel like a mountain goat. On steep, crumbling, wet, slippery trails, you get speed and stability both up and down hill. Save your ankles and knees, go further and get a more thorough work out.

Regarding looking at your GPSr, just let go of the pole and the strap is dangling at your wrist. Reach over to my shirt pocket, pull out GPSr and read it. I do not even slow down.

I walked in to Home Depot and got a 5 foot length of 1.5" hardwood dowel. Then I drilled out a hole in the bottom, placed a little glass tape and epoxy in the hole for strength, and drove in a large bolt with a 1" head. It's extremely tough and has been a useful tool while hiking!

Not impressive nor fancy enough. Even though it might serve its puprose extremely well.

And besides, you need two of 'em, don't you?

Edited by Team Cotati

My 11 yo son made the whole family walking sticks since our Wal-Marts around here don't carry them. He used Florida Holly upon a recommendation of a seasoned cacher. We have a lot of it growing on our property. He stripped the bark, sanded them smooth, drilled holes in the upper portion for leather straps, stained and sealed them, and attached a screw the same diameter as the bottom. The screw makes a nice little "ping" sound when sticking it in a hole and hitting a cache... :) Since we live in a relatively flat topographical region, we use the sticks for hiking in the swamps mostly, or on long trails. My stick has a cool little curve on the handle with a smoothed "nub" which is perfectly placed for my hand. They're not fancy, but they do the trick and my son is very proud of them. We also carry a "Grabber" I bought from Walgreens that is handy for, well, grabbing objects in dark holes (hopefully not snakes!). It folds in half and fits into our caching backpack nicely. :)

Curious how many people use walking sticks/trekking staffs when they are out and about?

Always. Cut a sapling of the right size, debark it, stain and seal it, put a leather wrist strap on it, and there you go. Forget the store bought things. ANYBODY can get those. Make your own!

Here's a handy little guide on making one that will lat you many years. Have fun!

Not to sound too much like a negative nancy but I'm a pretty environmental type of guy and have to ask, why a sapling? A branch works just as well and doesn't hinder the regrowth of forests and woods. Promoting this also seems like a bad idea. Branches work just as well, Not harmful at all to the environment and can be found anywhere and of any type.

If your growing your own trees and waiting the 3 years it takes for a sapling to get big enough then forget what I said.

There are very few branches that grow straight enough to use. The saplings that I cut are usually those that are growing close to the mother tree. They will never reach maturity because they are growing under a mature tree. Saplings are best because they are usually straight for the first 8 feet or so. To me it's like thinning underbrush. Also they are on my property.

If I cut a sapling that's not on my property it's always in an area that is being cleared for construction.

El Diablo

I've tried both the red SwissGear pole from Wally World and my sister's Leki, which was about 7 times as expensive. The only difference I noticed between the two was the quality. If you're just going for casual hikes through the woods, the SwissGear will quite likely last you a lifetime. If you are hard on equipment, (as I am), then you might consider investing in the high end sticks. I broke my SwissGear stick within a week of buying it, because I placed too much sideways stress on it. Really, my fault, but a Leki wouldn't have broken under the same circumstances.

I now hike with a staff made from diamond willow.

I know people that are happy with the Walmart staff for caching. It's used for poking and reaching. I looked at them previously for hiking. Every single one that I tested in the store was of poor quality for actually using as a hiking stick. I found that no matter how hard I tightened them, they would not hold fast and would collapse with weight put on them. So, . . . for poking around for caches they're great and inexpensive. For hiking and using as a staff, I'd steer clear.

I went caching with some cachers that had walking sticks and I really saw the advantage of having one while caching. Poke in holes, reach things high and just help going up and down hills on rough terrain. Anyway does anyone have the link to the company that makes the geocaching hiking sticks with your cacher name on them?

Thanks

I went caching with some cachers that had walking sticks and I really saw the advantage of having one while caching. Poke in holes, reach things high and just help going up and down hills on rough terrain. Anyway does anyone have the link to the company that makes the geocaching hiking sticks with your cacher name on them?

Thanks

www.geo-hikingstick.com

I got a 5ft piece of dowl rod at Home Depot. Stenciled my call name on it. Carved it out as well as all the divits over the rest of the stick. SAnded it. Light coat of stain then satin varnish sealer. It is unique & it goes everywhere with me. It works for poking in holes, moving things to look under, helping stablize that blancing walk across the running creek or keeping balance when going up & down the hills & through rocks & I can use it to keep someone or something away from me.

Thanks

Actually I'm not a company, though at times I wish I were.. I'm just a me. The link is at the bottom of my sig line.

El Diablo

what a cool thread, very informative! currently i'm using my cane. it's thick enough that i can't break it with whatever angle i put weight on it. helps me make the small but steady inclines i need to make and the curved end is great for hooking aroung trees or posts that help me pull myself up steep inclines and using in the reverse route.it's aleawys in my jeep so i know its near by.i have a collapsible one of top quailty but wouldn't use it caching.

but now the search is on for a more suitable replacement. looks like a pair is the way to go.especially when you have bad knees and wrists. think i'll go visit targe' and wally world today. next month we have a peoples fair in downtown denver which has lot's of creative artist hocking their wares so i'll look there too.

oh, can't forget about the artist at the resconnaince fair(how ever it's spelled-mideveil period) that sell the bull penis walking sticks, yes i said bull penis. they're about 4-5' tall and about 3-4 " in diameter. i would omagine they're unbreakable. i can't believe i just wrote that-shot me now!

I’ve used my home made one for about 37 years and a few wallyworld ones for 4-5 years. I like both but how ever you want to chose - I say do it. Hiking up hill is usually not much of a safety problem but I’ve learned you never want to hike down hill without a stick. Not on dirt, not on grass, not on rocks and not on snow unless you are ready to try clouds from then on. B)

Having a walking stick is essential if you are to be off the beaten path, and can be quite handy there. To prevent snake bites, turn and push sticks and rocks before reaching in there. Use it to hold bushes back for a peek underneath, cache or critter may be there. Uneven terrain, an excellent means to steady yourself, and an additional brake on the downhill. Crossing creeks on stones or limbs, balance pole or support.

Mop handles may do for youth, but with larger folk they may tend to snap if leaned on too heavy. Drop a couple more coin and get a long shovel handle if the hardware store route is your choice (a bit more heft for uncontrolled dogs too). Building centers may have long round poles of at least inch and half diameter that would be a good start. On all these choices, be sure to wrap the bottom with tape or leather (preferred) to discourage splitting.

well shortly after reading this thread i called my wife, who just happened to be at wally world and asked her to look for those walking sticks. an hour later i had them in hand. $14.99 made by swissgear-swiss army knife co. 10 yr warranty. so i took them outside and tried to break them, not with a hammer mind you but through jmy"s hiking test, climbing the tie wall and everything else around and have to say they look like they"ll work for me pretty good. at 140 lbs. wet i don't think i could destroy them unless tha'ts what i intended to do. they have the little compass in the handles, straps, removable baskets and protective caps for the bottoms. i really like the shock absorber effect too. they clip together to carry in whatever and are light wieght too!

if tomorrows winter snow storm isn't too nasty i'll be trying them out on a cache on as grassy incline about a block from me. as i'm naturally hard on things this will be a continual field test. if this thread is still up when or if i break them you all will be the second to know

SANDUNES.jpg

This is me at the top of High Dune at Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado.

Thank God I had my hiking staff that day. I was so exhuasted that I was contemplating not making to the top. So, I started throwing it 30 feet ahead just to motivate me to go further. After three hours I finally made it to the top where my youngest asked "What took you so long?"

the dunes are awesome! i try to make it there atleast once a year. my av is one of the creek crossings in the woods behind the dunes and yes they suck to walk up but now that i've got these new walking staffs it should be easier this year.

hhhmmmm, i'm wondering how many caches' are stashed around there, gives me an idea,lol.barely two weeks into this geocaching and i'm addicted to it like a drug.

Mop handles may do for youth, but with larger folk they may tend to snap if leaned on too heavy. Drop a couple more coin and get a long shovel handle if the hardware store route is your choice (a bit more heft for uncontrolled dogs too). Building centers may have long round poles of at least inch and half diameter that would be a good start. On all these choices, be sure to wrap the bottom with tape or leather (preferred) to discourage splitting.

The mop handles that they sell at scout camps are not the little sponge mop handles but the 2" or so heavy duty cloth mop handle like the mop I used in the Army and I have seen the boys make a streecher out of two of them and we were able to carry a 200+ lbs person with it when he twisted his knee on a hike. They are HARD too hard to carve and that is my only complaint with them I don't think I could break one if I tried. I have seen kids swing them like a ball bat and hit trees with them and they just keep on ticking and take a lickin.

I agree the little sponge mop handle is almost useless as a walking staff about the time you need to count on it it will break. If you are going building center to get a round pole make sure it is strong wood, one thing you could look at is a wooden closet rod if they make them any more.

WalMart may not carry them, but I saw a collapsable Spring-loaded (shock-absorbing) pole at places like Ocean State Job-Lot, and very similar at Cabellas. (including one, with a compass in the top of the handle.)

A used Ski pole with the end blunted, and the skirt narrowed should work.

Don't get too large with wooden walking sticks.. I.E. go cutting down a small tree, (1.5" to 3") and using it as a walking stick.. (walking stick? 3", that's a LOG!) keep the weight reasonable.. Think thin, but sturdy.. Something like Gandalf's staff from the Lord Of The Ring movies. If you're into Renaissance Faires, Look into a reasonable quarter staff (without the bauble on top. You're hiking, not performing incantations.. :))

The objective, is something to add support, and additional push.

The one from Ocean State, make sure the skirt cop is tied to the handle strap.. I noticed quite a few missing at the local store. it spins on to the tip.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

When I climbed Mt Fuji in Japan (one of the coolest experiences of my life) I bought a walking stick. There are small huts along the trail at certain elevations. You pay and have them burn in a stamp as a sort of record. I have every stamp from base to summit. Pretty cool.

I am a little afraid to use it as it is such a memento now. So now if I decide I want a stick, I try to find an old branch or something on the trail.

When I climbed Mt Fuji in Japan (one of the coolest experiences of my life) I bought a walking stick. There are small huts along the trail at certain elevations. You pay and have them burn in a stamp as a sort of record. I have every stamp from base to summit. Pretty cool.

I am a little afraid to use it as it is such a memento now. So now if I decide I want a stick, I try to find an old branch or something on the trail.

That is cool. Can you post a pic?

El Diablo

Totem Clan's stick is the one I made for him. And I did wrap the tree and wait for five years so it would grow like that. In the south, honeysuckle will do the same thing. And yes, I own about 100 acres of woodlands.

I've also seen folks butcher an area to cut for marshmallow sticks.

Here are two of the ones I carved at Boy Scout camp they are nothing fancy but remember these were done with a pocket knife. I also included a pair like the ones sold at wally world one is collapsed the other is as tall as it gets, I got them off of ebay and they are spring loaded for shock.

dscf0001.jpg

I have never used walking sticks but I have read about the benefits of trekking poles recently. I had a pretty good REI dividend and they were having a 20% off sale so I decided to buy some trekking poles and give it a try. Since there would be no out of pocket money I splurged a little and bought a nice pair of collapsable Black Diamond poles. These have a lever lock and make it extremely easy to collapse or extend. They also have lengths stenciled on them so its easy to always get the same length. They have cushy handles and cushioning below the main handles to give another cushioned grip surfacefor different terrain. I have used these a few times now and love them for both going on steep uneven uphill terrain and also for the return downhill trips.

We had a similar discussion comparing aluminum trekking poles to a sturdy wooden hiking staff. I prefer the wooden staffs myself. But then, I'm biased as I carve them

I am not a big fan of the dowels you can get at Scout Camp. I know the dowels they sell at my local camp are made of pine. They warp, split and snap quite easily. I prefer a sturdy Oak, Hickory, or my personal favorite - Diamond Willow!!!

Nothing makes you feel secure on the trails than a sturdy wooden staff in your hand by the way. Try beating off a hoodlum (or viciou creature) with a flimsy aluminum rod.

I've had my walking staff for about 23 years. I saved it from a pile of firewood. It was formerly an Aspen sappling. It has been worked and smoothed, and the top is nice and flat. I carved an inset at the top and tightly wound 550 cord using a noose knot to make a self locking handgrip. I have used it almost every year since it's rescue. I still have plans to inset a medallion of some type into the top, and carve some designs down the body. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This is my hiking staff, had it 16 years now. Made it myself.

I really like that staff in all my hikes and treks I have never found a tree like that. I had a corkscrew willow for a while and I was using it until it broke. I was looking around at some of my other staffs in the garage and I found a bamboo stick that was at least 18 years old and never treated it was split pretty bad and unusable, if I had treated it I think it would have been okay I will have to find one again and try different ways to treat it. They are lightest I have found and as long as they don't get dried out are strong. There was a cache hidden in a bamboo forest I will have to look it up.

I'll add yet another ditto to the $10 pole from WalMart (or Target, or Dicks, or KMart, etc.). I have a single pole (I can see the use of two poles, but I usually need a free hand for holding my GPSr or my son).

BUT, I'm thinking about upgrading to a hiking pole that doubles as a monopod or expands to a tripod for taking pictures. Does anyone have any experience with either of those?

I made a stick many years ago out of an old wooden closet rod. I ruffed it up with my pocket knife and stained it and made a strap for it. last year I carved my Geo name into it.

I bought a thing at Walmart called a bottle pod I believe. It fits on a water bottle and also my stick. I havent seen them at WM lately but they are on-line.

Edited by ROOKIE49

I use two trekking poles. I started using ski poles while snowshoeing and hiking in snow and once the snow melted I kept on using them. Now I feel strange if I don't have them. I'll even take them along on an easy hike on flat trails.

Two poles take some pressure off the knees, especially when going downhill. I just happened to read an article today about the benefits of using two poles and it said a study showed that two poles reduce impact on the knees by 20 percent. it also said another study showed that perceived exertion was reduced when participants used trekking poles.

Trekking poles have a number of advantages over wooden staffs and sticks. First off they are lighter, but the chief advantage is when I need my hands for climbing, or when bushwacking in dense underbrush, they collapse and fit inside my pack. They also fit nicely inside my suitcase when I'm traveling.

Edited by briansnat

I use two trekking poles. I started using ski poles while snowshoeing and hiking in snow and once the snow melted I kept on using them. Now I feel strange if I don't have them. I'll even take them along on an easy hike on flat trails.

Two poles take some pressure off the knees, especially when going downhill. I just happened to read an article today about the benefits of using two poles and it said a study showed that two poles reduce impact on the knees by 20 percent. it also said another study showed that perceived exertion was reduced when participants used trekking poles.

Trekking poles have a number of advantages over wooden staffs and sticks. First off they are lighter, but the chief advantage is when I need my hands for climbing, or when bushwacking in dense underbrush, they collapse and fit inside my pack. They also fit nicely inside my suitcase when I'm traveling.

I've been making wooden staffs that are also collapsable. I use a connector similar to a pool cue connector so that the staff (or in my personal case - geoshilellagh) will fit snugly in my backpack.

A Wooden staff made from Aspen, Birch or Diamond Willow is plenty strong and yet very light.

Just a quick comment. When deciding about buying poles, one advantage t spending a little bit more for brand nasme poles such as Leki, is that the more expensive poles often have a feature where the grips are slightly angled. It doesn't sound like much, but I found that it does make a difference as far as comfort of use. Better poles also seem to have better designed straps.

I bought mine from Target. Eddie Bauer pole. It has the angled handle. Because I do not to serious hking (i.e. anything more than a day trip or strenous mountain path hikes) I do not see the point in buying a $80 pole. The first day I had the target bought pole, it wedged it inbetween something and put all of my weight down on it and the bottom part slightly bent. No matter how good the brand you buy, you can still easily destroy it (the first and last time I bought a pair of oakley sunglasses, after 4 days at the beach, the coating started flaking off). $110 pair of sunglasses didn't even last longer then a $10 gas station bought pair. I tend to think the name brand ones are just that, name brand. I am not sure how much better the design and material really is.

I sometimes carry a walking staff that i made myself. Not usually while caching. Since I now have a cache that can hold a staff I have placed a couple in it as swag. I hope to continue producing them for the cache as long as they are well recieved. Or if they catch on maybe someone else will make one for me.