Cache Page Descriptions

Okiebryan

Say that I place a cache, or series of caches, themed to something historic. Ghost towns in my area of the state, or the example I gave earlier about the boundary markers between two formerly sovereign indian nations....

If I give a full history lesson consisting of several paragraphs, is that appreciated, or annoying? Assuming there is no political statement being made (I hate that) and it's basically "just the facts, maam"

As I do research to place one of these caches, I generally come up with quite a bit of information. Sometimes not so much. Having worked as a surveyor, I kinda know where to look. I have maps of every township in the state as they were made in 1871-1900. I can see what was here back then, and what wasn't. Considering the 5 civilized tribes weren't moved here before 1840, and Oklahoma became a state in 1907, that covers a pretty big gap.

Sorry here I go monologuing again :) Anyway, what do you think about lengthy history lessons on cache pages?

It depends on the cache. History is always good. It flavors the cache.

You can be concise though.

"This town was founded in 1922 by Howard Hughs" vs.

This town was esbablished in 1922 and the first city council consisted of several trained monkeys of which Howard Hughs was very consternated with. They liked to argue about toy trains and spend a lot of time debating exactly what kind of TP should be used in the pubic areas of the city buildings".

I am new to geocaching (got a GPS this past Christmas) but in my opinion, I like the history. I enjoy learning about the history of interesting places. I am sure others would rather just get the cache details but in my newbie opinion, I say give the history. Maybe give the cache facts first then the history seperated on the cache page. That way those who don't want to read the history can get the info to find the cache right at the top.

Craig

C&S 143

I like history-based caches, so I like to see it there. But a lot of people don't like it and may even ignore a cache because of it. The suggestion of putting cache info first is a good one (I need to reverse that on my cache pages one of these days).

In any case, if there's a lot of information, I suggest formatting it nicely, with headings and appropriately-sized paragraphs. Even though I like the historical info, I hate any page with lots of text that's all run together.

Edit: also, spell check. That will avoid having to edit your forum post cache page five times.

Edited by Dinoprophet

One of the things I have enjoyed the most about geocaching is that it has taken me to places that I might normally have overlooked, especially those places that have historical importance and which figure strongly in the flavor of the local region. As a result I very much appreciate it when a cache page provides some historical background associated with the cache site. As suggested by the previous poster (C&S 143), I do appreciate it when the cache owner posts the cache information first and then the historical info. I do paperless caching, and this makes it much easier when using the PDA - I don't have to spend a lot of time scrolling to locate info I need for seeking the cache.

Maybe give the cache facts first then the history seperated on the cache page. That way those who don't want to read the history can get the info to find the cache right at the top.

Craig

C&S 143

I'll second this, for another reason. I enjoy the history, but when I go to seek out the cache, I don't want to miss something important hidden among the backstory. The problem is, for those of us who cache paperless, some programs cut off cache descriptions after so many characters. Earchcaches tend to be especially bad about this- I've arrived at more than one only to discover that I can't complete the cache because Cachemate cut off the logging requirements from the bottom of a very long winded description.

So, please put any important cache info first, then feel free to ramble on to your heart's content.

I've had positive responses to these two History caches of mine

"Wooden Money"

"Battle of Sharpsburg"

Personally, I enjoy the history flavor when a cache owner includes that information. The one caveat is that the information should be concise. A cache page is intended to describe a cache not teach history. I find it difficult (and annoying) being out in the field and trying to read long pages of a cache description on my PDA. I tend to prefer source documents for my history education.

Difranco

Personally, I hate caches that just say a few words and you know nothing about the area or why they brought you there. My husband and I always say, "It's not about the hunt or the swag, it's about the destination". To us, the reason behind why you brought us there is so much more important. We appreciate when someone has something new for us to learn.

With that being said, I would suggest breaking your cache description up. You can check out one of our caches as an example of what I'm talking about. We use a dark line to separate information about our caches. Ours are all part of a series and therefore have the same info listed at the top of each, then a dark line. Next is the reason we placed the cache (in larger print and bolded) so others will know why we wanted to bring them to a spot, then the history/info I want to provide and the cache description and directions. I separate all of the info about the cache itself in it's own paragraph and most start like, "This cache is....". I then list the orginal contents. I also try to provide photos of the area and as much info as I can about the length of a hike/terrain etc. so people know what to expect (without giving the cache away). I think most people appreciate a little extra time spent on a listing, I know I sure do.

Since some people see the cache page like this:

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

Hint

I think you should create the cache page for yourself. If you want to write up a great description with lots of historical information including photos, that will be appreciated by some, glossed over by others. :rolleyes:

It is your cache, and your cache page. Do what makes you happy. :)

I might suggest a short history of the site, with pertinent details. You could place a laminated sheet in the cache itself with the complete history, or several "take home" sheets as an alternative. This serves two purposes. It allows the paperless and the historyphobes the option of getting their smiley while challenging the history buffs to seek out the cache to discover what amazing facts you have to offer about the site.

It's too late to edit my response from yesterday, so here's some more.

Please don't name the caches IBIM#1 IBIM#2 IBIM#3 (internationaal boundary indian marker :-)

This is SUPER common on series and annoying as all get out.

Give each cache a name made up of whole words.

Please don't cut and paste the same write up about the history of the boundary and markers onto each cache page, and if you do, PLEASE don't put it first.

A real cache name, not, Series Name #

Open with the pertinent info about finding the cache - enough info for a family towing young children to eliminate it, for instance, if the walk/hike is too rough or long. Daylight only hours, no dogs, that kind of information.

THEN the history, preferably something unique to each cache page. A couple of cut and paste sentences to tie the series together is okay, but not at the top! Likely the local cachers will do them all, they don't need to look at the series Intro more than once.

Thank you for asking, and I hope you do them.

I'll echo what Isonzo Karst says above. If the cache is part of a Series, you can use that in the title, but put it at the end of a unique cache name. That is what I did for a series of caches I put out along a road here. Each cache has a unique name, with "BCR Series" (Boulder Creek Road) at the end. That makes it easier to find the cache by name on the GPS and on a Palm. B)

Ditto about cut and paste of same info on each cache page. We have a few series like that here, and those cache pages, after you have read the first one, really do read like "Blah, Blah, Blah." :lol:

I am brand new to caching, but that is the whole reason I am getting so addicted. If you take the time to plan and hide a cache, it must be important to you, so please let me know why it is important. This is what makes this so great, being brought to new places that you would never have thought about and learning something about the place.

Write write whatever and as much as you like it's your cache. I do think, as some people have stated, the important cache description should go at the beginning so it doesn't get cut off.

It's too late to edit my response from yesterday, so here's some more.

A couple of cut and paste sentences to tie the series together is okay, but not at the top! Likely the local cachers will do them all, they don't need to look at the series Intro more than once.

Thank you for asking, and I hope you do them.

I disagree. I think it's fine to make a paragraph or two about the series if it makes sense to, and putting it at the top also makes sense to display the series properly. When you separate it, like we did with a bold black line (just one example), it allows the cacher to pass over the info if they would like. It's just a neater layout and fits proper writing structure better than placing something like that at the bottom. Anyone who is doing more than one cache in your series will recognize that info is the same and pass over it to the information about the cache itself. You have to look at each cache as the possible "first" cache that a person would encounter as you don't know which order they will attempt your series in.

I agree though that a individual name is appropriate and then list the acronym for your series afterwards with a number (it makes it possible for the cacher to search for the rest of the series by using that acronym as a keyword).

I can usually read how much fun I will have looking for a cache by how much work the cache owner put into the description.

1st cache:

size: micro

description: I was driving and saw a stop sign that needed a cache.

2nd cache:

Size: micro

description: I was driving thru an 1800's old west mining town (now a ghost town) [insert link] [insert photo] and came across a spot reported by locals to be haunted etc etc etc

I can already tell that I'm going to want to, and have more fun, searching for the second cache.

I always try to make my cache pages interesting and fun (something becoming less and less common from other cachers).

I like seeing it added, especially if there is nothing at the site that provides info.

I add history to may caches that warrant it. I'll change the font a bit and put it at the end so people who are interested can read it and those who aren't can skip it. Example

I like this method, and it's easy to differentiate between the cache description and the history lesson. I also like a descriptive listing. When I see a 3 line cache page, it kind of gives me the impression - right or wrong - that they probably didn't put any more effort into a good cache than they did a good description.

As to the naming scheme, I would put the cache series name and number first, then the individual and unique cache name. That would make it much easier for those trying to do the complete cache set, doing paperless caching. They will all come up together (in succession) in Cachemate.

My $0.02...

Edited by geowizerd

Loverlanders and I visited a cache in Colorado that had (nearly) a novel IN the cache. It was an interesting read and something like that inspires a cacher to sit and read or return to the cache again and again if they want the history. What we thought was cool was the hider added information about additional hides that was not listed on GC.com and a hint or two about some of his virtuals. None of that was on his cache page.

We like the history and feel that if that is what is important to you, add it! For those who go paperless and feel it's annoying, edit it or skip the cache. As Dr. Phil says, "It's NOT about YOU!!!" :unsure:

Oh yeah...BTW....I can't wait to get my PDF to go paperless!

Edited by cowcreekgeeks

Thanks to Geocaching.com, I've learned things about my own town that I never knew before. I absolutely love the history. It may be a surveyor thing but a good description brings things to life. That being said perhaps for those who don't care about the history and only want to increase their numbers it would be simple to write up the cache description so have the first paragraph synopsize the cache and all its vital info and then elaborate in the next paragraph. That way if you want to grab and go you can and if you want the history you have it. Of course I don't understand why someone who is into the numbers would take the time to go to a location that may not be cache rich.

If the location warrants it, a history lesson is definitely appreciated by me. I just saw a cache that had a complete history of the site, and I loved it. I go to that location all the time, and I didn't know half of what was listed there. It would be even more great for locations that I've never visited before, as I wouldn't know much if anything at all about that location.

I'll echo what others have said. As long as the critical information is at the top, write all you want, but brevity is a virtue.

I've run into too many situations where I've been in the field, needed to review a listing on my iPod, and after scrolling through page after page after page of stories and HTML ... discovering that the listing is truncated and I don't even know the container type or have a hint.

Honestly, anything more than a couple of pages or a couple of photos is overkill. Show me, don't tell me.