Scared of muggles?

yawetag

I've been caching now for almost 6 months. When I first started, I was constantly worried about muggles. I wouldn't even walk into the woods or off the sidewalk if a muggle was nearby.

In June, my grandfather (also a geocacher) came up to visit. When we went out caching, he was on the opposite end of the spectrum. He would pull the cache out when someone was standing right there. His feeling was that most people don't pay attention to other people anyway.

Since then, my attitude has changed greatly. While I won't yell out "found it" or intensely search for a cache with muggles around, I won't try to hide if I hear people walking down the trail. I figure if someone questions what I'm doing, I'll explain geocaching to them.

I don't see why we should hide the game from others. I know we worry about the caches being muggled, but most people aren't even going to think about the game once they walk away.

How do you handle muggles? Do you shy away and hope they don't see you hiding behind a bench, or do you welcome them to the game and explain it to them?

Since I have been completely unsuccessful in reading other people's minds, I have no idea which muggle is going to be the one that destroys the cache or shows it to their friends who may or may not respect the game piece. Therefore, I make every effort to not be caught by local muggles. After all, the cache doesn't belong to me. I shouldn't be the one that puts it in jeopardy.

Edited by sbell111

I'm also very cautious when muggles are in the area. I have completely abandoned the search a few time knowing I wouldn't have a chance to come back and find it for a very long time. I would hate to find out later that someone destroyed it after they saw me retrieve it. I hope for the same respect for things I own.

I took the title more literally.......I thought of the time my son and I were hunting a cache in some woods near town and came across a camp with a couple of rough looking characters. There wasn't any trouble but my son mentioned he was scared after we got back to the truck.

Jim

I don't think it is a good idea to "explain the game" to a total stranger. You don't know what they, or someone they tell later, might do.

I was hiding a cache one day and told a couple who came along on the trail what I was doing. Although I trusted them, that cache went missing shortly after that. Where that cache was hidden, and the way it was hidden, I do not think it was "accidentally" discovered.

Muggles in general...I don't like caching when the muggle factor is high. I feel totally conspicuous and awkward. Sometimes I leave and go back at a time when there are less people around. I have also managed to cover myself by pretending to be taking photos with my camera. My one and only cop-stop I successfully fluffed over with the photography tale. So my camera is useful both for the photos I get to take and as an excuse to be hanging around and fiddling with stuff in public places. There have been a couple of occasions I've explained to someone what I'm doing.

As for being literally scared of muggles...that's happened twice. One worked out ok and the guy who was watching me hunt turned out to be nice. I did tell him about geocaching and he thought it was cool. The other time...well...I truly think my watchfulness and caution saved me from harm from a guy in a park. I was scared to death but managed to get me and my dog out and away safely.

I do get nervous sometimes being out alone in some parks. I guess some pepper spray would be a good idea.

I will do my best to asses the situation and the nearby muggles. If I determine they are a threat or are just too close, I walk away. If I determine that they are otherwise engaged, I will boldy walk up and take care of cache business. I have found that trying to act stealthy and/or overly cautious just tends to attract more attention not less.

I behave as though I am doing nothing wrong (mostly because I'm not). Act official and confident.

I generally do my best to make look as though I'm in the area for the same reasons they are. I'll wait to jump into a the woods (where people in the area generally don't go: no path or trail) untill everyone has walked by or is out of sight. There are some caches that are so close to a busy path you can't really open the cache and dig through it without people seeing you do it. In those cases I normally walk a way from where I found it and sign the log and trade items. That way If people get an inkling of what I'm doing they won't now exactly where to look.

If there are too many people and I don't think I can grab it without attracting unwanted attention then I move on and come back another time. Whether I grab it or not involves sizing up the situation. I think people don't pay as much attention when there are two of us because we act like we're just horsing around together. On my own I'll often grab the cache and usually walk away to somewhere else to sign it if there are a lot of people around. If I'm afraid at all, I am afraid that sometimes while I'm doing this another cacher may come along and get a dnf. I'll usually go over and sit on a bench or a lawn and spread out the cache. Nobody seems to pay attention once I've got it. The trouble seems to be people watching me poking around looking for it and wondering what am I doing. Taking the cache can backfire because I may go to put the cache back and there are even more muggles around so that I've had to wait until they've moved on.

Edited by Luckless

I always avoid looking like I am "up to something" and just act as naturally as possible. It's true most people really don't pay much attention unless you give them a reason to do so and I just go about my business like I own the place.

I have passed up a cache here and there if the muggle level was just too high as I don't want to put the cache at risk.

So far I've only been caught twice and both times that was by other geocachers who knew what I was doing and were after the same cache.

The reason to not go around volunteering information (different than hiding the game) is that there are some that are not cool about the whole concept of leaving things (lots of them) in nature as is required in Geocaching. Those folks would just CITO a cache and not think twice about it. I like to know something about the person before I tell them about caching because sometimes you can spot an anti-cacher before you even discuss it.

I don't think I've ever been really "scared" of muggles. There have been times I've parked and looked around and decided I didn't want to be in that particular place at that particular time and just left. I've had folks go by on a walking trail in the woods while I was crouched down by a stump. Not sure what they thought I was doing! Sometimes I explain what geocaching is and sometimes I don't. It just depends on the muggles. Sometimes you can tell that they are not the type to explain this game to!

Recently, some folks were looking (unsuccessfully) for the 3rd stage of a multi, and a family happened to notice them. After a while, they wandered over and asked what they were up to, and the cachers explained geocaching to them. The muggle family thought it sounded like FUN and immediately got into the game. I was lucky enough to get a chance to meet them a week or so later. We had a great visit and I'm sure we'll run into each other on the trail again. They now have 19 finds and I'm sure their numbers will keep on climbing.

Here is their log from that first cache.. what a hoot:

July 19 by T-Biskit (19 found)

Well, I'm the "muggle" that Team5oaks had to explain this sport to, and I must admit it sounded fun. So when they left I walked over to where they were looking and took a peak. I found it in about 5 minutes,(if that sounds like bragging, it's not! beginners luck I'd say... :-)) Anyway, my wife, kids & I were WAY excited about it so we went home and grabbed the hand-held GPS (doesn't everyone have one???) and looked for the cache. Before leaving we nosed around where we had seen T-5oaks looking and found the first 2 clues, so we had found the first 3 without knowing exactly what we were up to. (At this point I must stop and say that Mike made some really cool clues! #3 is very clever, and people seem to get stuck at it!) Anyway, we found the cache and we are hooked! I didn't take anything because we didn't know the rules, but I joined this site tonight and got the premuim membership, so I guess I'm off on a new adventure. We (my wife and 2 boys) are excited to get looking. Maybe we'll go back tomorrow and leave something...

Here's a clue for you T-5oaks: you were really really close!

Guess we are not muggles anymore :-D

When me and a friend started caching I had to go with him.He had a GPS and I didnt.I looked for a saturation of caches in an area so we could find a bunch in a day.Mostly in big parks..He always seemed to want to be out in the boonies and we might find 3 in a day.I didnt understand why he didnt want to be in town and log more caches.Now I tend to stay out of town and find less but have more fun doing it.There are fewer muggles to worry about so you have more time to read the other logs and check the area.I have met more cachers out in the boonies than I did when in town.

When you're carrying an assortment of electronic devices along with a backpack full of live hamsters, you are bound to attract attention. How I avoid it:

1. In a crowd, like a shopping center parking lot or a busy bike trail, I act like I'm supposed to be there and not doing anything wrong. It's the trying to hide what you're doing that looks the most suspicious. And have you ever tried to tell a hamster to be very, very still?

2. If I run into a single muggle or group of muggles at or near ground zero, that's different. If there's no way to find the cache without interacting with them, or if I get that "what are you doing here?" look, then I leave and come back later.

3. If I'm caught red-handed, I will either say "scavenger hunt," or on rare occasions, I'll explain geocaching. It's a judgement call depending on whether the other person appears to like hamsters.

I have been caching for only a short time but I think I have developed a very useful technique when muggles are around.

**I pretend to be on my cell phone talking to someone (make sure your phone is either on silent or off). This will enable me to look around randomly and wander without anyone thinking that I am actually looking for something. Once the cache is found, you can usually pull it out and write in the log, as most people will think that you are taking notes about your phone conversation.**

This has worked quite a few times even in the most highly muggled areas and times. Hope this helps some people.

I have been caching for only a short time but I think I have developed a very useful technique when muggles are around.

**I pretend to be on my cell phone talking to someone (make sure your phone is either on silent or off). This will enable me to look around randomly and wander without anyone thinking that I am actually looking for something. Once the cache is found, you can usually pull it out and write in the log, as most people will think that you are taking notes about your phone conversation.**

This has worked quite a few times even in the most highly muggled areas and times. Hope this helps some people.

I have used this one a few times. The only difference is that I act like my GPS is a phone since the explorist 400 looks about the size of a cell phone and roughly the correct shape.

I have a muggle "uniform" which consists of a cheap hard hat, a florescent orange mesh vest and a clipboard. These are all stashed in the truck. If I encounter heavy traffic, I will don my "official" gear and not worry about being seen.

Harbor Freight sells all the equipment for about a $10 investment.

Edited by Rattlebars

For me, it depends on what kind of muggles are around. With adults, I'll walk right up and do what I need to do. They usually ignore me. Now if it's kids, I'll wait for them to move on. My thinking is that younger kids will take it. Teenagers will destroy it.

I remember searching for one cache. I was down low behind a log and some high grass. When I finished and popped up, there was a muggle and his dog standing right in front of me. Not sure who scared who more. Thinking fast, I just muttered that I felt better, adjusted my pants and walked off. Hopefully he thought there was a "surprise" back there and avoided it.

Fun times, I tell ya. :o

Edited by Lepidus

when I first started I tried to be all stealthy. now I just go about the hunt with complete disregard to others. Luckily, others seem to always have complete disregard for me as well, so it works out great. I find that if you don't act suspicious, and are confident that you are supposed to be there, nobody else really cares or is interested in what you are doing.

A friend of mine once had regular muggles attacks, at the same cache, so with the cache disabled they placed a bungeed snair in where the cache had been, these muggles were trapped they eventually 30 minutes or so were able to get their hand free, he never had any other issues at that site.

Edited by Misha

I have a muggle "uniform" which consists of a cheap hard hat, a florescent orange mesh vest and a clipboard. These are all stashed in the truck. If I encounter heavy traffic, I will don my "official" gear and not worry about being seen.

Harbor Freight sells all the equipment for about a $10 investment.

Sort of a Village People look eh? :D

"Muggle" has been spelled correctly in every instance in this thread. Yay! There is no "r" in "muggle". :D