Question to Ponder: Ark of the Covenant

My husband and I are watching National Geographic's feature on the Ark of the Covenant - never discovered by modern man...

Being a geocacher for nearly a year now, I immediately said "if there were a geocache placed there, it would have been found by now"

I thought since I was already in the forum I would ask the rest of you...

If there were a cache placed at the Ark of the Covenant, would geocachers find it? :D

And so there it is....what do YOU think? Can't wait to hear...

~NM~

My husband and I are watching National Geographic's feature on the Ark of the Covenant - never discovered by modern man...

Being a geocacher for nearly a year now, I immediately said "if there were a geocache placed there, it would have been found by now"

If there were a cache placed at the Ark of the Covenant, would geocachers find it? :lol:

~NM~

Umm they still need to find it, before they can hide a cache there. :D

:D

If there were a cache placed at the Ark of the Covenant, would geocachers find it? :lol:

~NM~

If the right coordinates are posted, yes. :D

I think the ark itself would make for a great geocache. Just make sure you bring someone else along to open it for you :D

And make sure you have the poles to lift it up - ya wouldn't wanna be touching it, ya know.

Hey, makes it easier for those cachers who like to drive by caches: "I SAW it in its hiding place, so I'm claiming the find."

Must be slow. I thought Viegans were the people who ate VEGEMITE. I've heard it tastes "out of this world" They stole the ark? Does Evan know? Someone tell him quick, so the animals have someplace to go when the earth floods. Oh.... not that ark. Darn Catholic school upbringing. Forgive me. :ph34r:

I wish to thank the OP for their original post which inspired me to travel halfway across the world and find the Ark of the Covenant two days ago, wherein I placed a large ALR (additional logging requirement; see below) geocache. I have just returned back to the US and to my home, and the reviewers and admins at GC have agreed -- due to the archeological and theological importance of the site -- that in order to protect the location of the Ark, the cache listing page for this ALR cache will not be published until after the cache has been found by the first five finders (i.e,. the FTF finder and the next four finders.) All that I can tell you at this point is that the Ark and the cache are located in either Asia (that is, the Asian part of the Eurasian continent) or Africa. The cache container is a large ammo can painted international safety orange color on all sides, labeled on each exterior face as a geocache with weatherproof adhesive labels, and it contains a waterproof logbook, waterproof pen and some interesting trade items, including devotional photos of Paris Hilton, suitable for placing on your Paris Hilton altar when you return home. Once you have found the Ark, you will find the cache within the inner chamber.

The ammo can is located inside the innermost gold-lined chamber of the Ark; please leave the ammo can on the tarp on which it has been placed in order to protect the gold leaf lining the interior walls and floors of the inner chamber from scratches or scuff marks. Due to the uniqueness of this cache, there are additional logging requirements (ALR) in place, as follows: If you wish to claim a find on this cache, you will need to not only sign the logbook, but must also report to me the three-digit find-confirmation code (in large black marker, circled) to be found on the outer cover and first page of the logbook, and you must also send at least one close-up photograph of the symbols found on the outside of the door to the inner chamber of the Ark.

The cache name is "Inside the Ark", and it is rated 5/5. I have revealed herein essentially all of the significant contents of the cache listing page, minus, of course, the waypoint coordinates and the GC waypoint ID. There are no hints.

If you choose to find the Ark and the cache, do please be very careful regarding the possibility of robbers and brigands during the last 120 km of your trek to the Ark. Several visiting Westerners were killed by robbers in the same area just in the short time that we were there, so this is a real danger.

Good luck, and have fun! I wish you the best in your search for the Ark!

;)

:ph34r:;):o

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Heh...

Log by Cacher for The Ark of the Covenant cache-

Found Ark ok after a small search.Muggles were nearby,but vaporized after opening cache.Left sig item,repented,and signed stone log.

TFTC

This was one of two today.After here we went on to the Holy Grail cache.Muggle was there ahead of me,he chose poorly.I chose wisely. :)

Left Grail,took everlasting life.

TFTC

Didn't Indiana Jones find it? With the Nazis?

Wasn't all the swag inside so old that its spirits begal swirling around and eating the Nazis?

From what I saw in the movie I would say a definate terrain 1.5 - but as for the swag problems they may have troubles signing the log book before being eaten, so difficulty 5

Wasn't all the swag inside so old that its spirits begal swirling around and eating the Nazis?

From what I saw in the movie I would say a definate terrain 1.5 - but as for the swag problems they may have troubles signing the log book before being eaten, so difficulty 5

I would have to agree with the difficulty rating, but terrain...wouldn't you think its more of a 3?

As far as the carniverous spirits waiting inside the cache that burn the skin of mortals bones...that's what happens when people don't trade up in the cache...it ticks off the spirits!! ^_^

Its all clear to me now...

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_2.gif

Yes, I would recommend the difficulty be at least a 4.5 / 5.0 given the possibility of having your face melted off by the Ark spirits. This is the cache photo from the last guy who tried to snap a picture to fulfill the logging requirements. :D Poor Dietrich. He didn't trade up or even.

However, you should be OK as long as you close your eyes and refrain from wearing any swastikas - though closing your eyes might make signing the log difficult!

Matt

P.S. By the way, that whole ark opening sequence scared the bejezus out of me when the movie came out. I believe I was 9 when my Mom took me to see it (1981). I don't think my mother realized what kind of movie it was. I remember sleeping with the lights on for a few days after that whole scene ... I think I had my eyes covered for most of it! ^_^:):D

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

The rumors have for years been, among the followers of Biblical prophecy, that the Ark was discovered but left buried behind a wall deep in the caves of the temple mound. During the time of Tribulation, temple worship will be re-established with all the proper sacrifices and artifacts. The Jews have prepared (or so it is believed) for this with all the golden articles, down to the red hefer who's ashes alone can purify the Levitical Priests.

They do not post the coordinates (if, in fact, the rumors are true), but geocaching in a cave has some different rules, I believe.

None of the swag looked real good. I'd say it had probably gotten wet at one point or another. I'm recommending this cache for maintenance.

I have always been fascinated with the Ark and have often considered various themes on the idea for a cache. (I have one in the planning stages now, if only I could find the right a unique physical feature that fits the concept!) At any rate this is my prefered theory:

"In 1989, the late Ron Wyatt claimed to have broken into a chamber while digging underground beneath Mount Moriah, also known as The Temple Mount. He claimed to have seen the ark and taken photographs. All photos came out blurry (leading to skepticism of the claim). According to Wyatt the excavations were closed off (because of private property concerns) and, to the extent of knowledge, no one has seen the ark since. Ron Wyatt was widely seen in the Biblical archaeology community as an attention seeker, often announcing he had found Biblically important objects with little or no hard evidence to back up his claims.

Modern excavations near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem have found tunnels, but digging beneath the Temple Mount is somewhat restricted. One of the most important Islamic shrines, the Dome of the Rock, sits in the location where the First Temple of Solomon once stood." ~quoted from Wikipedia