puzzle caches

All joking aside, I was going to post something this morning about puzzle caches as well.

SO, I guess, what I am looking for is a training class on puzzle cache solving. Call it Puzzling 101. See, I dont want to have to go running back to the hider for hints until they just about give it away. I want to solve it myself. But to do that, I need the proper background, training, knowledge, etc. So which one of you expert puzzle solvers have some time to train us clueless masses?

I would like to hear the responses to this--I've tried my hand at solving several puzzles (long distance, just to find the coordinates, you know, in case I ever go there LOL!) But some completely baffle me. I also like to create puzzle caches, but nothing as complicated as what I've seen. (I've only done one, but am working on two more series of puzzles that should be pretty fun--I hope!)

Celestialmom

There's a reactivated thread on this issue that may offer some assistance! :(

I struggle with puzzles

I agree.

If you don't like puzzles then by all means don't do them.

If you prefer all 1.0 difficulty and 1.0 terrain traditional micros in lamp posts then just do those.

I no longer do plain old Traditional caches (I'm bored with them), unless they are part of a puzzle like the Greem Monster series.

I use the number of Puzzle finds in a persons profile as an indication of how smart he/she is. And of course I know some people who actually get the answers from someone else but that doesn't really add up.

:D Well... I don't know why, but I am strangely compelled to put my two cents in here for some reason. ;) I personally am not fond of puzzle caches, It's a personal choice, they take a lot of time, and the cache is pretty much the same. ;) I will do them if I have time, and there's nothing else around. I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches. What a steaming pile. Maybe if you put a clever cache out, you wouldn't have to be so clever on the cache page. :D I like the sneaky, hard to find caches, and the physically demanding caches, I'd much rather be out looking for the cache in some remote location than sitting on my duff trying to figure some random cipher, or try to figure out which wingdings font I have to use to get to the 35mm film canister, or pile of rocks under a tree in the middle of a field. I totally understand that some folks absolutely love em', Good, that's why they're there. If you don't like em' ignore em'. No reason to get pissy about it. You have a choice, go with what you like and let everyone else do the same.

;) Well... I don't know why, but I am strangely compelled to put my two cents in here for some reason. I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches. What a steaming pile.

;) Ditto.

;) Well... I don't know why, but I am strangely compelled to put my two cents in here for some reason. I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches. What a steaming pile.

:D Ditto.

;) Double Ditto.

I agree.

If you don't like puzzles then by all means don't do them.

If you prefer all 1.0 difficulty and 1.0 terrain traditional micros in lamp posts then just do those.

I no longer do plain old Traditional caches (I'm bored with them), unless they are part of a puzzle like the Greem Monster series.

I use the number of Puzzle finds in a persons profile as an indication of how smart he/she is. And of course I know some people who actually get the answers from someone else but that doesn't really add up.

It's great that you enjoy puzzles but if that is the only type of cache that you seek, maybe geocaching is getting in the way of what you really like to do? The only thing that is more disappointing than finding an LPC for me is a mind bending puzzle that leads me to an LPC.

I'd have to say that some puzzle caches I've found seem to be a compensation for an unimaginative and uninspired hide. If I had to choose between a great puzzle or a great geocache hide, I'll take the hide that can stand alone on it's own merit any day and I contend that these hides are much more difficult to create and more memorable for most seekers.

I've got a good cacher friend in Arizona that told me that they are putting out puzzle caches that have two ways to solve them. Of course, you can obtain the answer by solving the puzzle but the other way was to put the answer in a cache you have to go on a nice hike to find. I really liked the spirit of that.

:D Double Ditto.

Triple Ditto. 2/2 caches should be about doable! ;)

<snip>

<snip>

I use the number of Puzzle finds in a persons profile as an indication of how smart he/she is. <snip>

:sad: Ditto.

;) Triple Ditto.

When I first read that post, I found the statement that you judge how "smart he/she" is by the number of Puzzle caches they have completed to be very offensive. :D Now that others have responded, I also feel compelled to respond.

I am one of those people who has a hard time figuring out puzzle caches, especially those created by the excellent puzzle cachers in this area. However, that does not mean I am not smart, and it does not mean I limit myself to parking lot micros. B)

Everyone has different talents. If someone is musically-inclined and can compose music, but another person cannot, would you say the second person isn't "smart?" If someone is artistic and can draw, or sculpt, or paint, but another person cannot, would you say the second person isn't "smart?'

Sheeesh! :sad:

Edited by Miragee

Hey, I agree!

I think all caches should be in a big ole field.........

With one big ole tree in that field.......

And a big Pile-O-Sticks under the tree! ;)

And the more McToys......THE BETTER! ;)

Hey you are making it too hard...we don't need the tree....just the sticks in the middle.

Wait....why have the sticks....just a foot-locker in the middle with a sign pointing to it.

<snip>

<snip>

I use the number of Puzzle finds in a persons profile as an indication of how smart he/she is. <snip>

;) Triple Ditto.

When I first read that post, I found the statement that you judge how "smart he/she" is by the number of Puzzle caches they have completed to be very offensive. :D Now that others have responded, I also feel compelled to respond.

I am one of those people who has a hard time figuring out puzzle caches, especially those created by the excellent puzzle cachers in this area. However, that does not mean I am not smart, and it does not mean I limit myself to parking lot micros. B)

Everyone has different talents. If someone is musically-inclined and can compose music, but another person cannot, would you say the second person isn't "smart?" If someone is artistic and can draw, or sculpt, or paint, but another person cannot, would you say the second person isn't "smart?'

Plus many mystery caches are not puzzles. The new guidelines require that all caches with ALRs (additional logging requirements) now be categorized as mystery caches.
I found the statement that you judge how "smart he/she" is by the number of Puzzle caches they have completed to be very offensive.

Me, too.

I've done a lot of puzzle caches, but people who know me know that I am a complete idiot.

I wouldn't want other puzzle-cache finders tarred with that brush!

<snip>

<snip>

:D Triple Ditto.

When I first read that post, I found the statement that you judge how "smart he/she" is by the number of Puzzle caches they have completed to be very offensive. ;) Now that others have responded, I also feel compelled to respond.

I love puzzle caches...but how am I going to do any caching when I've found the four caches on my FOB? Everyone go find a cache for me today.I wish I could. :sad:

***I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches***

I'm really lazy and just wish there were easier ones...line a "1/2 x 1/2".... where you never have to leave the car...they bring the logbook to you.

2-21-7 15-6-6!! ;)

Hey, I solved this! Can I have a smiley?

I have only been involved in caching for half a year, and this is such a cache rich area, there are way more traditionals around here than I will probably ever find. I have solved a few puzzles, but only actually found two of the caches. Some I don't even bother to go to, and one I can't seem to find. But overall, I have never been a big fan of puzzles in any other facet of my life. I don't care for crosswords, jigsaws, jumbles, sodukos sadakos er, whatever the heck that new fad is. That doesn't make me less intelligent, but if someone wants to think that, fine. So far my favorite caches are the ones that require a bit of a hike. We have lots of those in the area county parks, and I did a three mile hike yesterday to find one cache.

I love puzzles because of the often interesting direction they take my brain. I'll work on every puzzle that comes my way. Some I can solve, some I cannot. On those I do solve, I now have a second decision to make; hunt the cache or add it to my ever growing ignore pile. If, after I solve the puzzle, the cache looks interesting, I'll go for it. If not, I won't. I think it's insulting to infer puzzle solving skills somehow equate intelligence. After all, I'm dumber than a bag of hammers, and I've solved a bunch. :laughing:

I merged together two threads started by the OP in two different sections of the forums. Please do not start multiple threads.

Now, I'm off to get working on a certain mystery -- a puzzle, if you will -- that is suggested to me from reading this thread.

Sic em Keystone!

(I wonder if SilverBells is actually..... Sexy_Sally????)

There does seem to be a rash of these people lately. What's up with that?

Yes, I wondered the same thing, and it is kinda strange... The posts from the two trolls even have the same general tone and air of hostility. All very odd...

I use the number of Puzzle finds in a persons profile as an indication of how smart he/she is.

I guess the question is:

In your mind, does more puzzle caches = smarter (as in look at how smart they are cause they can decipher that code)

OR does more puzzle caches = dumber (Look at how smart the other people are who just ignore puzzle caches and do what they came here to do (geocache), not solve puzzles)

Personally, I'm with the guys who say they don't care if its a puzzle or a traditional cache, as long as it leads me to someplace worthwhile.

And , for the little Monkeys, some cache that is at least big enough to hold swag (no guarantees that there is any)

Edited by LivesWithMonkeys

***I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches***

I'm really lazy and just wish there were easier ones...line a "1/2 x 1/2".... where you never have to leave the car...they bring the logbook to you.

I’m basically a non-puzzler also, rather I enjoy the terrain to be difficult, but others find the puzzles to be great, place and thing for everybody.

Now I am waiting for the “.25 x .25 cache" not only is the cache and log brought to you in your very own home, but it comes with a beer, a tub of caviar and crackers on the side. Then a Nobel laureate describes an adventure to you in their best prose!

:laughing: Oh how I have enjoyed this thread!!! I am not great at breaking codes, (I'm too old according to my grandkids) but if it scientific-I have a chance or if it sudoku-I will eventually solve it. It was a puzzle cache that got me hooked on sudoku. I have 15 solved for states I haven't visited.

We all have favorite things in this addiction-so live and let live!

I would much prefer going for a hike in northern Minnesota and gathering our state animal (wood tick) on the way! Last year I cheated and went over to North Dakota and stole 20 of theirs and I didn't put 'em back either :laughing:

:D Well... I don't know why, but I am strangely compelled to put my two cents in here for some reason. I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches. What a steaming pile.

if you are referring to my post, i was referring to the OP, and any inferences you draw past that point are your own.

i no longer solve puzzles.

here's my sad anecdote. i was trying to explain to my mom about a thing that was making me confused on account of brain damage. "oh, come on", she said. "you can solve all those geocaching puzzles."

"i can't anymore." i said.

What came first the Puzzle Cache or the LPC?

Dunno, but one of my puzzle caches IS an LPC. :D

:D My least favorite puzzle cache is a guardrail cache at the end of a great puzzle. THAT will throw you off puzzles. (However, your LPC could be in a really cool place.) And every once on awhile an LPC can save your cache day.

What came first the Puzzle Cache or the LPC?

Dunno, but one of my puzzle caches IS an LPC. :D

:D My least favorite puzzle cache is a guardrail cache at the end of a great puzzle. THAT will throw you off puzzles. (However, your LPC could be in a really cool place.) And every once on awhile an LPC can save your cache day.

Nah. It's at the local Wally World, and it says so right on the cache page! It was meant to be satirical. (Okay, I have a strange sense of humor...) I think that everyone missed the satire. Oh, well.

what happenned to geocaching?

the site has become a puzzle solving website not geocaching.

this is rediculous the idea here is to have the coords and find the cache.

not solve stupid puzzles

there are many websites just for puzzles

KEEP PUZZLES OUT OF GEOCACHING

What? No great mysteries to solve in order to find the treasure?

I'm sure if it were available back in the day, a pirate captain might have carved coded coordinates to the skull of the mutinous ring leader dog and tacked it to a tree for William Legrand to find.

IMHO there has been too much repetition for/against Puzzle/Mystery Caches without worthwhile input.

I'm one of those that put out Puzzle/Mystery Caches. I could have put out regular caches in those same areas but what would you have learned while in the area. Probably nothing, because you would have signed the log, and then gone back to your car, probably in a hurry to go to a nearby light pole hide for another smiley.

Several of mine give you a history lesson of happenings in the area. Some required you to do other caches and get clues to them. Does that make them hard? Nope, but that is how they get listed. I don't make the rules. One looked very difficult to solve but, in fact, was really simple. Those that were unsuccessful solving the puzzle may have a different opinion about how easy it was. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-daa941cd6edd

I currently have a 5/5 that had to be listed as a Puzzle because you must find each stage and then do some math to get the coords for the next stage. If you are in the area and you want to spend time on the hunt with minimal time on the puzzle, here it is. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4d-a05cd76362e3. It is not your normal walk in the park type search, you will spend a fair amount of time hunting for each stage. The nice thing about this one is that if you get tired of searching, you won't have a long walk back to your vehicle.

I guess what I really want to say is, "Don't pass over a cache just because it is a Puzzle/Mystery Cache."

Well in my opinion puzzle caches are just like terrain/difficulty decision, if you feel like it, do it, if not, dont.

Geocaching is not like pokemon, you dont have to catch them all, or find them all in this case. :D

you do NOT have to get all the pokemon. most of them are useless anyway. i have a LARGE collection that i keep in a very dignified-looking briefcase. (i keep my stuff for work in a blue backpack) i have a bunch of killer playing decks; i don't see the point in collecting for collecting's sake.

never you mind why. oh, ok. i used to date someone with a seven year old kid. i learned how to play because it was a good way to relate to him. then i started playing with the kids at work, ditto. no, it's not a child labor sweatshop. i work in a school.

i was thinking of a pokemon related puzzle...

Ok, OK...

I see silver bells' point as I don't care for puzzle caches. I don't go caching everyday so when I do, I like the standard ones. Simple and fun...that's me. But my son Loves puzzles so he does those first..go figure.

I too, am confused by silver bells' attitude considering that he/she owns a puzzle cache, the likes of which consists of a really long, boring code. Also, it seems all of his/her caches have been archived. Were they all muggled or did he/she decide to take all their caches and go home?

Makes me want to go, "Hmmmmmm...?"

Pardon my ignorence but, besides the obvious referral to altered hosery used to entertain children, what is a "sock puppet"?

QUOTE(TrailGators @ Jun 30 2007, 09:00 AM)

QUOTE(vtmtnman @ Jun 30 2007, 09:59 AM)

QUOTE(57chevy @ Jun 30 2007, 07:41 AM)

Well... I don't know why, but I am strangely compelled to put my two cents in here for some reason. I do however think it's shallow minded to think that just because someone doesn't like puzzle caches, they're illiterate and only stick to the 1/1 caches. What a steaming pile.

Ditto.

Double Ditto.

Triple Ditto. 2/2 caches should be about doable!

Quadruple ditto.

I personally do not like puzzle caches. Ohmigod!--The heresy! :unsure: At least at THIS point, I prefer to spend my unfortunately limited caching time on "going and doing", not sitting around struggling trying to solve a puzzle I'm clueless about. There are 8 million non-puzzle caches I have yet to find so I have lots to keep me busy. And before everyone yells at me and says "So don't do them!"--I don't! :lol: Later on down the road I may acquire a taste for them but puzzle caches definitely aren't for everyone. I don't feel like I'm an "inferior" geocacher because I don't want to solve puzzles (right now).

I actually have done one puzzle cache (or at least I considered it a puzzle cache even though it was listed as a multi-stage)...and I found it tedious running around in my own neighborhood collecting numbers off of businesses to come up with the coordinates. I did pick up a good pizza in the process but other than that, I didn't find it particularly fun. But I stuck to it, me and my dog got some exercise, I got all the numbers...and I found the final stage and it was all good. ;)

I'd still rather be hiking in the woods. Those are my favorite caches.

puzzles are my favorite caches, and i often choose teh area i am going to go caching by solving a puzzle, then doing the caches around there. puzzles belong in geocaching as much as multi caches do.

if you dont like them place them on your ignore list, and pretend they aren't there. simple as that.

let people play the game they want to.

Puzzle caches and other advanced modes of playing this game are a natural outcome of a maturing sport. The makers are using their minds more and requiring that the players do the same. That's great! "Stop and drop" singularities are being replaced by more sophisticated expressions of the minds of the makers. I designed and built the first stage of a two-part multi-cache as a bird-house that requires that the participant bring their own 9-V battery. Once they plug it in they have to figure out what to do to read a coord for the next stage. The first person to find it did it w/o any hint. Here's his log. I don't think he was disappointed. Bringing their own power supply gives the players more of a sense of participation and anticipation.

The one thing that does bother me about my own puzzle caches is that I have to go to great lengths to prevent cheating (AKA shortcuts). One of the first to visit my 9-V cache cheated so now everyone else has a harder time of reading the coord. I added a silvered piece of plastic to reflect the light of a flashlight right back into the cheaters eyes. :unsure:

I'm looking forward to some [but not all] of the geocaches getting more and more sophisticated as the years go by.

-it

Oddly enough I do enjoy doing the crossword and/or sudoku puzzles in the newspaper. I just don't care for decrypting some obscure cypher, or calculating the ejection rate of some isotopic neutrino just to go and find a cache. Good thing for me there are plenty of new tradtional and multi caches placed around here every single day. I can just pass by the puzzles unless I want to take the time to solve them, which doesn't happen too often.