Trekking poles or hiking stick

I've seen a lot lately about trekking poles. (For this post, I'm talking about using the two trekking poles like in skiiing) I have a hiking stick that I use but for anyone who has made the change, what is the benefit of the trekking poles over the hiking sticks...or vice versa? Why do you prefer the one you use? I've heard that the use of the trekking poles when just walking for fitness is really beneficial causes it uses your arms as well....but what about on the hike?

Thanks

wizkid

I started off with a hiking staff. On a general trail, its nice to have as a third leg to help keep your balance on narrow or tricky parts. That being said, I noticed one knee would always be in more pain than the other. The other knee, I noticed was typically favored by the staff on that particular side.

Switching to trekking poles, both my knees benefitted with the extra support and my endurance for longer hikes was notably longer with less personal pain.

That was in the first two years. Year one staff, year two trekking poles.

Year three: I use the trekking poles more for balance and for assist on the particularly rough stairs. I tend to carry them in my hands more than use them until I hit a particularly rough part of the trail where balance on 4 legs is appreciable, a steep part of the trail where the extra push is appreciable, or on ladders where my knees really take a hit.

That's for uphill. Downhill I noticed a big difference. I was relying on the poles way too much and took more strain on the knees because I was trying to control the rate of descent with the poles. The end result was my knees would be in pain for days afterward. I had to trust my ability to create a natural gait that my knees could work with and just use the poles for balance. On particularly rough parts going down hill, they are still used to ease my way down.

G'day

I use a couple of MSR Carbon poles which I tested for BackpackGearTest.org whenever I am backpacking (overnight or longer) but as most of my geocaching is shorter walks I tend to not bother with them for that.

You might find Pete's Pole Pages useful to check out as well.

Bottom line for me is that when I am pack carrying I use the poles. I really notice the difference now when on the odd times I don't take them (e.g., weekend with a lot of off-track walking).

Regards

Andrew

G'day

I use a couple of MSR Carbon poles which I tested for BackpackGearTest.org whenever I am backpacking (overnight or longer) but as most of my geocaching is shorter walks I tend to not bother with them for that.

You might find Pete's Pole Pages useful to check out as well.

Bottom line for me is that when I am pack carrying I use the poles. I really notice the difference now when on the odd times I don't take them (e.g., weekend with a lot of off-track walking).

Regards

Andrew

Polls by the pair here, will never return to the staff.

I use trekking poles on my exercise hikes now. You do work out your arms, relieve weight on your feet and knees. My local area has steep, crumbling trails, rocky beaches, slippery rocks, and the extra stability is amazing. Like going from 2 to 4 wheel drive. I have not slipped or fallen since using them.

Look for carbide tip (it grabs rocks and does not slip), comfortable grips and wrist strap. The wrist strap is very important, it takes your weight and you only lightly grip the grips. I leave the baskets on, helps in sand and gravel. I like the type that lets you set the shock absorber on or off, like the REI Traverse.

I really like my trekking poles. I tend to use them for balance on rugged sections, too. I don't use them much on smooth trail. But, here in PA, most trail is fairly rugged so I have them out more often than not.

One stick is nice...two sticks are better. I personally prefer collapsible rigid poles. Since I use the poles for balance rather than really cranking down on them for actual support, I prefer poles without antishock. The antishock feature just adds weight that I don't care about or use.

I'm a die hard trekking pole fan. I use two poles for hiking. With practice, you can develop quite a rythm of of pushing with the poles while using your legs. My knees feel much better, and my legs don't tire as easy.

Of all the hiking items I own, trekking poles were my best investment.

I vote for two poles as well.

They don't have to be fancy my old pair of ski poles worked just fine until the family bought me a pair of the collapsible ones. I don't see a lot of benefit of being able to make them shorter though.

That depends on the uphill grade for proper fitup. If you're really using the poles up hill there is a proper ergonomic adjustment for the most effective use.

PDF

I've always used a walkin' stick made from a big mop handle. We made them years ago in one of my son's Cub Scout activities. It's definitely sturdy! Back in May I used it on my longest continuous hike to-date, about 25 miles along the Appalachian Trail. After that many miles I realized that STURDY = HEAVY! Never thought I'd be an "ounce weenie" but I've found myself eyeing those lightweight trekking poles... The other bad thing about the stick is that there is no ergonomic grip like the trekking poles have. I might try one of those cheap poles at Target in a few weeks to see how they work.

I switch off between the poles and my staff (which is a thick broom handle with a rubber tip off an old crutch). If I am on long trail hike, I really like my poles. I picked up a cheap set at WalMart and they work just fine. However, if I am geocaching in rugged terrain where snakes and other unfriendlies might be present, I feel much safer with my staff. I can use it to turnover rocks before reaching in the cache or as a vault to cross small streams if need be. I guess for me it all boils down to where I am and how long I'll be out there. I always keep both in the truck and decide when I get there.

I can confidently say after using two poles for two weeks in scotland that its is a brilliant solution.

No knee pain a lot less tired even LYnn started using two poles something she said she could never do after seeing how quickly i recovered when we got back to the car ie i could jump in and drive she had to lift her legs in and out :P

Two poles for hiking (saving knees and distributing load), one pole for walking around the woods (flat or close to flat).

For two-pole applications, my Lekis have never failed me. I find the contoured handles very useful.

For all single-pole applications, I use Tracks walking staff. It is extremely rigid and strong, made of aluminum, and can make a formidable weapon in a pinch. It can also double as a camera monopod.

If your looking for one that can be used as a club check out Hame Knob Canes. Hame knobs are a decorative piece on the end of horse harnesses and are heavy, grab the cane by the other end and the hame knob becomes a heavy club.

Alas, on their website, their canes appear to only have rubber feet, not a rubber-foot covered spike that is in my opinion necessary for off-road walking.

I've been using trekking poles for over 10 years now, on doctors orders. They really do help on downhill with taking some strain off my knees and for uphills it kinda makes it like you have a handrail up that hill!! (we have alot of steep ascents here in Colorado) Collapsable for me is a must, on many peaks you will get to a point, usually near the summit, where you actually need to use all 4 limbs. Then I just collapse my poles and strap them to my pack to get them out of the way. Mine also normally live at home strapped to my pack so I know where they are. I also like the shock absorbing ones, they are more costly though. Would not think about going on a longer hike without them.

I'd definately go with poles over a stick. when using poles you are basically using all four limbs to walk with, you can stabilise yourself over rough terrain easier and you'll find going uphill alot easier too. Going downhill you'll feel the benefit on your knees, which take 4 times as much pressure going downhill than uphill.

Another benefit of using 2 poles is that your body stays aligned better, if using one pole or one stick your body tends to rotate around the stick (for example, your body will rotate around to the right if using one pole in the right hand).

Alot of technical backpacks nowadays have loops to attatch poles to, so they can be collapsed and attatched to your pack at time you don't need to use them.

I'd stick with brands that are well known, therefore you'll be able to locate spare parts like tips and baskets if you need them.

Dave

Any of you all use the cheapo pulls from gander mtn/dicks/wal mart, or all of you sporting brand name poles?

I went with a cheapo brand at G.I.Joe's and used a hiking pole for my first couple of years. After a while, I began to notice the knee that wasn't favored by the pole was also the most sore after a hike so went after a pair of trekking poles. That was the time I went with a pair of Leki Titanium poles and never looked back.

Regardless of what you get, it needs to hold your weight with it at 45 degrees or higher and you thrust yourself into the pole. That is generally how most people catch themselves when they trip. If you're going to land on it, it needs to stay in one piece and not break and become a potential spear.

kinda what I figured.... maybe I could find a place that wouls ell me one pole at a time, then maybe I cold afford em! >B)

You can buy single trekking poles. Just make sure you're not breaking apart what is supposed to be a pair.

Collapsible poles are better for packing when you don't need them. I tend to carry them most of the time anyway. As stated above, they're great for maintaining balance as well as assisting your knees.

Any of you all use the cheapo pulls from gander mtn/dicks/wal mart, or all of you sporting brand name poles?

I started out with a stick I found on the beach. I used that for about 6 months then switched to a pair of trekking poles that I bought at WallyWorld for about $20. After going through at least 3 pair of the cheap WallyWorld poles, either breaking them or just having lots of trouble with the locking mechanisms, I finally decided enough was enough and moved up to REI poles,the pair weigh just over 11 oz, they weren't cheep but well worth the money. And for about $8 I was able to get a set of snow baskets for them to use when snowshoeing. Of course I still didn't get out of REI until I had spent over $200, kind of like going to COSTCO, you just keep seeing stuff you could really use.

I'd definately go with poles over a stick. when using poles you are basically using all four limbs to walk with, you can stabilise yourself over rough terrain easier and you'll find going uphill alot easier too. Going downhill you'll feel the benefit on your knees, which take 4 times as much pressure going downhill than uphill.

Another benefit of using 2 poles is that your body stays aligned better, if using one pole or one stick your body tends to rotate around the stick (for example, your body will rotate around to the right if using one pole in the right hand).

Interesting observation. I've been using wooden hiking sticks for years - a single stick, and never had any bad issues. I've personally switched from using longer staffs to using a shillelagh. Used it on a 10 mile hike with a loaded backpack on an overnight campout this summer. We climbed 800 feet in elevation, and went up and down ravines. No problems, it's small and lightweight and it worked great to prop my pack up at night.

Anybody ever use Mountain Smith trekking poles? I use a hiking staff and am looking into a set of trekking poles. In my research I have found that the Leki poles seem to be the top rated. I recently purchased a mountainsmith pack so I noticed that they also make poles too. It looks like they make the 6061 series for an affordable $47 and make 2 other series at a higher price. Just wondering if anybody has used these poles and if they are worth the price or are they junk.

I have a pair of Lekis that I use all the time...they fit in the back of the Pathfinder behind the back seat and out of the way.

http://www.leki.com/Trekking/products.aspx?prodid=28

BUT I also have a Wanderfruend as a staff for relatively flat hiking in grasslands over long distances...training dogs, etc....

http://www.leki.com/Trekking/products.aspx?prodid=46

an advocate of either or obviously.....I recently found a SwissGear left behind @ Mammoth Cave national Park and looked it up on the internet and for $12-19 you can't afford NOT to try them out....I would research weight limit if you think that will be an issue.....

Get out and have some fun.....

I'm surprised I don't see more Komperdell users here. They've been making poles for a very, very long time and produce some of the best. I bought a pair on sale because they were all I could afford at the time. Now, after having used a few different kinds, I'm sticking with them. On the occasion when I forget my poles (that cache isn't really that far right?) I usually end up using two deadwood sticks now that I'm used to the motion. Interesting fact from Komperdell's website: "During an 8-hour hike using telescopic poles reduces the strain on the knees by 250 tons."

My REI Traverse are made by Komperdell. It says so on the poles.

I also see that Campmor sells there brand of poles made by Komperdell. Right now they are on sale for $49.99.

With all of the good reviews so far on trekking poles, I am going to have to give them a try. The sad part is there is only one store in my area that carries higher end poles and they do not have much of a selection. I would like to see what I am purchasing to check out the feel, but will have to place an order. Does anybody have any likes or dislikes for the types of grips or the way the shaft adjusts? I see that they make cork or rubber grips, and some shafts adjust by push button or standard expander locking system.

Right now I am looking into purchasing the Leki Voyager or Switchback, they are both on sale now through Campmor for $49 & $59. Anybody out there own these poles?

Does anybody have any likes or dislikes for the types of grips or the way the shaft adjusts? I see that they make cork or rubber grips

I would not consider straight grips anymore after using the angled ones ("positive angle" as Leki calls them, I believe). They make it much easier for me to descend without tiring my wrists.

As for cork vs. neoprene, I used both, slightly prefer neoprene. I could live with either.

I do the same. Folks like the personalized, hand carved touch.

I was out caching this past week and came across some hoodlums. Had my trusty shillelagh with me and felt very comfortable walking right by them. I'd rather have a good, solid chunk of wood in my hand should I ever have the need for defense.

A flimsy piece of lightweight aluminum wouldn't help much.

I do the same. Folks like the personalized, hand carved touch.

I was out caching this past week and came across some hoodlums. Had my trusty shillelagh with me and felt very comfortable walking right by them. I'd rather have a good, solid chunk of wood in my hand should I ever have the need for defense.

A flimsy piece of lightweight aluminum wouldn't help much.

I just checked out your website Rogheff and those are some nice Diamond Willow staffs that you make. :unsure:

Well I'm a die hard HIKING STAFF user.

But I think my time for those trekking poles has come to a focus. I hike with several profesional mountaineers who use nothing but those TP's, and their wisdom is worth a lot. So I'm about to get a few poles for the winter hikes on those icy trails. But come summer I probably will go back to my old staff.

I think I'm finally ready to make that leap from hiking staff to trekking poles. I have never used trekking poles and was wondering if the anti-shock feature is a must or not? I have been checking out some Leki's and notice they make various grip materials and was kind of wondering what are the pros and cons between some of the materials such as Core-Tec and Ergo soft rubber. Unfortunately I am going to have to mail order since there is not much of a selection of trekking poles around here, which in turn limits the ability to make a purchase based on feel and comfort. There are some pretty good deals out there right now on 07 Fall line poles. I found the Leki Tour Cor-Tec AS for $69 on sale, anybody out there have these poles or tried them out?

I think I'm finally ready to make that leap from hiking staff to trekking poles. I have never used trekking poles and was wondering if the anti-shock feature is a must or not? I have been checking out some Leki's and notice they make various grip materials and was kind of wondering what are the pros and cons between some of the materials such as Core-Tec and Ergo soft rubber. Unfortunately I am going to have to mail order since there is not much of a selection of trekking poles around here, which in turn limits the ability to make a purchase based on feel and comfort. There are some pretty good deals out there right now on 07 Fall line poles. I found the Leki Tour Cor-Tec AS for $69 on sale, anybody out there have these poles or tried them out?

I've used similar Lekis (Makalu Cortec Ti) in both rigid and antishock versions. They work great. The cork composite (cortec) is better on sweaty hands than a rubber grip, though if you're using them right, you are not in hard contact with the grips that much. The wrist straps bear the weight and the grip provides 'joystick' control over the pole's movements as you walk. If your forearms get fatigued after hiking with poles, you need to drastically loosen your grip and rely more on the straps.

Antishock is nice but not necessary, unless you have issues with sore hands, wrists or elbows; commonly hike long distances on hard rock; or run with the poles.

I've used staves before and eventually bough an official geocaching.com hiking staff from El-Diablo. I have since converted the base to a spike with a rubber tip that screws over the top. Used the spike for ice walks. Then I started hiking in earnest and I switched to trekking poles. When backpacking with a heavy load I use my pair of Leki Makalu poles and I was amazed at the difference they made. For non-pack hiking I use just one trekking pole. The hiking staff has been relegated to a position of honor across the front of my entertainment center. I bring it to an event for show every now and then. But it is hard to tote around, as it is long and solid. The trekking poles are collapsable. I bought the rubber feet for the trekking poles (for use on cement or asphault)...but have never used them.

Oh...I also converted my hiking staff. I put a 1/8" steel plate on top of it and mounted my external GPS antenna to it. That way I can use it as an aerial...should I ever use it in the woods again (I hope to but it's hard to set it aside with the ease of transport of my trekking poles).

Edited by victorymike

I got some Leki Makalu trekking poles a few weeks ago and really like them, although I'm having some problems with them when adjusting the height. I never had a problem with my Leki walking stick, so I might take them back to REI to see what the problem is. I'm not sure I like the soft rubber grips. I think I might have preferred getting the Core-Tec grips . . .

Although I really liked my walking stick, I am a full convert to trekking poles, especially for hikes like this one . . .

4cf57125-ee28-481e-9d75-c485ed925f0e.jpg