Question for those who geocache armed:

I used to carry concealed off and on before 9/11/2001. Since then I carry 100% of the time. Well, 99% anyway. If the Sig P239 is not in an in the pants holster it is in the center console of my truck. Also, when I travel out of state (fly) I also bring it if the destination has a concealed carry reciprocity with my home state. if they do not, I check their laws and follow accordingly or don't bring it with me. One state, a frequent destination, does not allow concealed carry w/o a permit, they do not honor my home state's permit. They do allow loaded carry in a glove box, or on your person in a car without a permit. They consider your car an extension of your domicile. In this case I bring with me. If passing through a state that I do not know the local laws I revert to the lowest common denominator for transport (unloaded, locked, ammo separate) and do not conceal carry. I never carry in the open.

Summary of state restrictions on your second amendment rights can be found at http://www.packing.org/ :(

A state biologist once told me that Florida has never had a documented bear attack on a human. I repeat this bit of data as a mantra whenever one gets too close. If I lived in a state where bears might dine on me, I think I'd get a can of pepper spray. It works great on highly agitated pit bulls, but not so great on drunks. :(

They said that in NJ too....several years ago. There have since been several documented attacks. None serious, but it's probably only a matter of time.

It seems that in the last few years more and more wildlife has found that humans taste good! Shark attacks in FL, Coyotes in NJ, and you can't watch the news without some dog attacking someone somewhere. Now this doesn't keep me out of their environment, but it sure makes me keep better situational awareness in places that I didn't worry of before.

O-Mega

... If your job or other necessity takes you to 'hinky" places, then being armed is a plus, but going to such places unnecessarily is just stupid- armed or not. In fact I might go so far as to say that going to such places armed could be even more stupid than going there unarmed. This would be the case if having a gun actually made you FEEL substantially safer, such that you would take chances that you would not dare to take if unarmed. ...
I have a few thoughts related to this. First, it is not that carrying a weapon makes you feel safer. It actually makes you safer. Second, while I agree that one should not wander blissfully into known danger, I disagree that we should just give up on areas where potential danger exists. Doing this, I believe simply allows the badness in the world to have a 'safe zone' in which it can grow.

I stand by my opinion that having a gun does not "actually make" you safer. It IS only an apparent improvement in safety unless, as several have stated and which you apparently agree to some extent, the carrier is ready, willing and able to use it as needed.

There are always plenty of situations where the carrier will be harmed in spite of the gun.

A great case in point is an area of Indianapolis which is rather well known for cop shootings. (although truth be told such shootings are extremely rare)

The cops are well armed, well trained, and constantly alert to their surroundings. They still get shot occasionally.

It does "actually make" you safer inasmuch as it is more likely to be of help when on your person than it would be if it were left at home.

I disagree that we should just give up on areas where potential danger exists. Doing this, I believe simply allows the badness in the world to have a 'safe zone' in which it can grow.

From a cop since '82, "Thank you!" ;)

I agree we should not allow the thugs to "own" an area. But on an individual basis, cleaning up the area is not my responsibility nor within my power, even if I were carrying a browning .50 cal "Combat" style. ("Combat" reference the old TV war series for you younguns out there) ;)

If cops won't even go into an area alone, (such as the area referenced above) is it reasonable for a citizen, armed or not, to go there unnecessarily? Not to me it isn't.

... If your job or other necessity takes you to 'hinky" places, then being armed is a plus, but going to such places unnecessarily is just stupid- armed or not. In fact I might go so far as to say that going to such places armed could be even more stupid than going there unarmed. This would be the case if having a gun actually made you FEEL substantially safer, such that you would take chances that you would not dare to take if unarmed. ...
I have a few thoughts related to this. First, it is not that carrying a weapon makes you feel safer. It actually makes you safer. Second, while I agree that one should not wander blissfully into known danger, I disagree that we should just give up on areas where potential danger exists. Doing this, I believe simply allows the badness in the world to have a 'safe zone' in which it can grow.
I stand by my opinion that having a gun does not "actually make" you safer. It IS only an apparent improvement in safety unless, as several have stated and which you apparently agree to some extent, the carrier is ready, willing and able to use it as needed.
As I explained in a previous post, 'ready, willing, and able' is part and parcel to carrying a weapon.
There are always plenty of situations where the carrier will be harmed in spite of the gun.
People get injured in vehicle crashes in spite of seat belts and helmets, but they help mitigate the damage.
A great case in point is an area of Indianapolis which is rather well known for cop shootings. (although truth be told such shootings are extremely rare)

The cops are well armed, well trained, and constantly alert to their surroundings. They still get shot occasionally.

You might note, that the police actually catch the bad guys and avoid getting shot with greater frequency than they get shot.
It does "actually make" you safer inasmuch as it is more likely to be of help when on your person than it would be if it were left at home.
Exactly.
I disagree that we should just give up on areas where potential danger exists. Doing this, I believe simply allows the badness in the world to have a 'safe zone' in which it can grow.
From a cop since '82, "Thank you!" ;)
I agree we should not allow the thugs to "own" an area. But on an individual basis, cleaning up the area is not my responsibility nor within my power, even if I were carrying a browning .50 cal "Combat" style. ("Combat" reference the old TV war series for you younguns out there) ;)
The weapon isn't as important as your making it appear. The simple fact that an area gets frequent use by honest citizens is often enough to get the bad guys to move on to more private surroundings.
If cops won't even go into an area alone, (such as the area referenced above) is it reasonable for a citizen, armed or not, to go there unnecessarily? Not to me it isn't.

Please reread my post. I made a distinction between 'known' and 'potential' danger. If there is an area in your city where you 'know' that you are going to get into trouble, don't go there. Edited by sbell111

A state biologist once told me that Florida has never had a documented bear attack on a human. I repeat this bit of data as a mantra whenever one gets too close. If I lived in a state where bears might dine on me, I think I'd get a can of pepper spray. It works great on highly agitated pit bulls, but not so great on drunks. ;)

They said that in NJ too....several years ago. There have since been several documented attacks. None serious, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Reminds me when I was doing field work in Glacier National Park and asked the rangers about pepper spray. I was told that about half the time it scares them off, the other half the time it makes them alot angrier. The decision is yours.

So far this thread has been very well behaved. I would like to express my gratitude to all of you for keeping this on topic.

In an effort to keep this conversation civil, I do need to remind everyone that the topic is about how cachers carry weapons (for those that do). This thread is not about whether or not anyone should carry weapons. That is a different topic.

Thanks

MM

I usually carry a swiss army knife loose in my rucksack, but rarely use it :o

:anibad::anibad::D

Yep, been dying for an opportunity to use the corkscrew :o

Back on-topic: Fanny-pack carry is considered 'concealed' here (AZ), so I use a holster. Those who do carry in a fanny--er, "lumbar"--pack: Isn't it difficult to lay hands on the weapon quickly? Same with other concealed carries; seems like it would take a lot of practice to be able to draw promptly under stress.

Back on-topic: Fanny-pack carry is considered 'concealed' here (AZ), so I use a holster. Those who do carry in a fanny--er, "lumbar"--pack: Isn't it difficult to lay hands on the weapon quickly? Same with other concealed carries; seems like it would take a lot of practice to be able to draw promptly under stress.

Although I very rarely wear a fanny pack, I have one that I've practised extensively with. The manual of arms is to grab a nylon rip cord with the support hand and pull it horizontally. This parts the two sides of the zipper and pretty much exposes the entire gun in its holster. The gun is retained by a velcro strap that releases upon drawing. I can routinely get one center-of-mass shot at a 7 yard target in 1.5 seconds from the buzzer, about .35 seconds slower than my normal time from a concealed strong-side hip holster.

Although I very rarely wear a fanny pack, I have one that I've practised extensively with. The manual of arms is to grab a nylon rip cord with the support hand and pull it horizontally. This parts the two sides of the zipper and pretty much exposes the entire gun in its holster. The gun is retained by a velcro strap that releases upon drawing. I can routinely get one center-of-mass shot at a 7 yard target in 1.5 seconds from the buzzer, about .35 seconds slower than my normal time from a concealed strong-side hip holster.

I was simply going to post 'Practice makes perfect', but yours is better.

I was simply going to post 'Practice makes perfect', but yours is better.

Thanks, although I realized that I really didn't make my main point clearly enough, i.e., make sure you are using a fanny pack designed both for your gun and for quick access. Then, practice, practice, practice!

A civilian in the drive-through line at Wachovia Bank heard shots inside, got out his pistol and confronted the robber / murderer when the perp exited the bank, holding him at gunpoint BEFORE police had even gotten the alarm.

Two Deputy Sheriffs driving past saw the commotion and pulled in; the perp re-entered the bank, grabbed a manager and reemerged. The manager tripped, the perp lost hold of her, and the Deputies shot the perp.

Now read the news story and see what play the civilian with a gun who stopped the robber got... "Rutledge said a passer-by also tried to intervene when the gunman left the bank, but he did not elaborate."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/14/bank.robbery.ap/index.html

I carry a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) in the storage bin of the driver's side of my truck. It does have a waistband clip and will carry the gun if walking in Memphis. If due to hot weather and unable to keep it concealed, I'll have a .22 auto in my pocket.

I do have a permit.

Excellent. Thanks! That's very impressive--clearly the result of diligent practice.

pretty much every concealed carry option has this drawback.

Fanny packs come in several configurations but all (those that are DESIGNED for gun totin') have some kind of quick release mechanism. i have personally used two different models and the access issue is not really a big deal for either of the ones I have used.

They are really not that much slower than an inside the belt holster with a garment covering it, but that assumes you are using two hands to access the gun in the fanny pack. (This of course is not necessary in an inside the pants rig.) If accessing the weapon from a fanny pack with one hand, access is going to be significantly slower.

If speed is a really big issue, there is no substitute for a strong hand belt holster in OPEN carry.

Concealed carry is a compromise. You have the gun handy- a lot closer than "at home". You also have an advantage of the element of surprise because the bad guy doesn't know you are armed or where exactly your weapon is located. But all methods are inherently slow.

Some concealed methods i have used and reasons i like and dislike them:

1. Inside the pants (with a holster or clip designed therefor): + easy and quick access + well hidden even with light clothing (providing piece is not too large) + works with larger weapons - uncomfortable after long time carrying (more so with larger weapons) - usually no retention strap - sometimes not really secure in position (shifts to uncomfortable position and requires "manipulating" usually whilst not drawing attention to it) -sweat rusts gun This is my preferred carry- all day with my little piece, shorter term with my compact .45

2. On the belt (outside) with a jacket covering it: + quickest access + most comfortable for large weapons + good retention (assuming good holster design) + gun is protected from damage - gets really uncomfortable wearing the jacket indoors - lighter covering garments often "print" badly - increased paranoia about being "caught" (I consider this a valid concern even though i carry legally)

3. Ankle holster: + very well concealed (most of the time) - very uncomfortable (much of the time) - hard to get at -only works for small guns - often revealed when sitting down

4. "Pager" holster: + good concealment due to its unusual nature (unexpected carry) - uncomfortable - slow access - prints and pager bulges out from belt - pagers are pretty much obsolete

5. Shoulder holster: + excellent concealment even for large guns + quick access (cross-draw) + very comfortable for all day wear +excellent protection for weapon - only works with certain clothing - sometimes revealed with covering garment movement

6. fanny pack: + excellent concealment (except that a lot of people are "on to it") + excellent protection for gun + can use the pack for other junk you want to carry - HEAVY 9depends on gun of course) - a little slow access - multiple steps for access ( more likely to fumble under stress) - some people think you're packing even if you are not

7. pocket holster (not just putting the gun in your pocket, which is dangerous - especially if there are other objects in your pocket): + good concealment (only for small weapons) + easy and quick access with natural movements - takes up valuable pocket real estate - heavy (wears out pocket, rubs on leg)

Did I miss anything?

Off-body carry, i.e., purse or planner. Personally, I feel both are fraught with risk but may be the only option.

I eschew clip holsters. I have seen too many people practice their draw strokes and end up presenting both gun and holster.

True. But the advantage of clip holsters is in being able to take off the whole rig when you don't want to carry it. You don't, for example, go undress in the locker room with an empty holster for all to see.

I like my built-in clip a lot for comfort and excellent concealment. The only drawback is that it leaves the whole piece exposed to sweat and lint entry and possible snagging on clothing during the draw. The draw is also a little bit more difficult becuase the entire gun is below the belt line. I have to hook my thumb around the grip, between the gun and my body, while pulling up on the exposed clip with my finger. The presentation is then with the grip in a slightly weak position which must be shifted before firing.

Off body carry is only slightly better than leaving it at home. There are 2 big issues:

1. what you are carrying is most likely a robber's target- especially a purse- which is most likely going to be snatched and the robber is going to run away- now HE has your gun.

2. Obviously, way too many steps to access it.

i have a hard time visualizing when off body carry would be the only option in any case where there is any reasonable likelihood of needing a weapon. OK, the aforementioned locker room perhaps... but for me the risk in places like that is far far greater that someone else might get my weapon (especially a child) when it is not in my direct control, than the infinitesimally small chance I might NEED it.

With the carrying of a gun comes the utmost responsibility to do so safely- above all else. This means an inherently safe weapon design and quality workmanship, secure carrying methods, and full control by the owner at all times- meaning either on your person or securely LOCKED.

And perhaps the biggest mistake one can make when carrying a gun is "showing off". NEVER EVER EVER! Your gun is your secret. Even the bad guy doesn't need to know you have it until you are justified and ready to pull the trigger.

True. But the advantage of clip holsters is in being able to take off the whole rig when you don't want to carry it. You don't, for example, go undress in the locker room with an empty holster for all to see.

That's why I went with the CQC/S; all of the advantages of the clip without the drawbacks.

That's why I went with the CQC/S; all of the advantages of the clip without the drawbacks.

i assume you are referring to this type of holster?

Link (pic would not reproduce correctly)

Looks like it would fill the bill of an easy attachment and detachment of the whole rig.

I usually carry mine on my waistband in a paddle holster. I cover it with a hooded sweatshirt or if it's warm out I sometimes wear a very lightweight running shell to conceal it. If it's hot I sometimes use a fanny pack.

I usually carry when I cache because I do it with my two small boys and in secluded places where caches are commonly hidden. I'm in California, but I'm a Police Officer so I can carry a concealed weapon.

I know from the "My geoarsenal" thread that a lot of you carry firearms when you geocache.

For those of you who do, how exactly do you carry while geocaching? I know it depends largely on state laws, but do you wear it openly or conceal it? Do you holster it for quick access or put it in your backpack?

My concern is not just with safety and following the law, but also with comfort. My state allows concealed carry, but my gun is too big to conceal comfortably unless I wear a jacket or some sort of outer garment (I also have a pocket .22, but that's not likely to be very helpful against anything nasty I'd run across out in the woods). And even though it's also legal to carry openly I don't want to frighten or make uncomfortable anyone I might run across on a trail.

I have a basic belt holster that works well, and I could probably hide it sufficiently with a simple vest (I'm planning on getting a blaze orange vest anyway to lessen my chances of getting shot by a nearsighted hunter), and that's the option that I'm leaning towards.

I still haven't decided for sure that I'll carry, but since I usually cache alone I (and my wife) would feel more comfortable if I did. If I do it will only be for out-of-the-way caches, but I'd just like to get some feedback on carrying options.

Thanks.

I used to carry concealed off and on before 9/11/2001. Since then I carry 100% of the time. Well, 99% anyway. If the Sig P239 is not in an in the pants holster it is in the center console of my truck. Also, when I travel out of state (fly) I also bring it if the destination has a concealed carry reciprocity with my home state. if they do not, I check their laws and follow accordingly or don't bring it with me. One state, a frequent destination, does not allow concealed carry w/o a permit, they do not honor my home state's permit. They do allow loaded carry in a glove box, or on your person in a car without a permit. They consider your car an extension of your domicile. In this case I bring with me. If passing through a state that I do not know the local laws I revert to the lowest common denominator for transport (unloaded, locked, ammo separate) and do not conceal carry. I never carry in the open.

Summary of state restrictions on your second amendment rights can be found at http://www.packing.org/ :sunsure:

Thanks for the link. That could prove useful.

OP here. Thanks for all of the input!

This past weekend I carried for the first time while cache-hunting. I haven't renewed my CCW permit yet, so to follow the law I carried openly. That made me very self-conscious. I stayed out of sight as much as possible because I didn't want anyone to see my smoke wagon and get nervous. Open carry is perfectly legal in my state, but almost no one does it.

My biggest problem is that because I'm tall and skinny I'm not going to be able to conceal my gun well or comfortably without an over garment of some sort. My Ruger GP100 (.357 w/ 4" barrel) weighs about 37 ounces unloaded, so it's not the most comfortable weapon to tote around. I don't have the money to replace it with a smaller gun, so it's either that or nothing.

Wearing it in my leather belt-holster during my hike was ok but a bit more cumbersome than I'd like. I think part of the problem may have been the holster; once I got used to the weight, the only annoying thing was the holster tipping forward where my arm would bump it. It's a very firm leather holster that rides pretty high. I just ordered a nylon hip holster from Uncle Mike's, so I'm hoping that will be more comfortable to wear.

If not, I just have to decide if I want to sacrifice comfort for the added safety. Pepper spray is looking pretty attractive right now. Hehe.

Edited by RedZeppelin

I will tell you, based on 25 years of carrying experience, that the parts of your carry system in decreasing order of importance are your belt, your holster, and your gun. A quality gun belt gives you a stable platform for the holster, a quality holster gives you a stable platform for your gun.

Expect to pay about $80 or so for a quality gun belt. An excellent source for leather gun belts is here. Another, less expensive option is the Wilderness belt. The 5-stitch Instructor belt in 1.75" seems to be the most stable. I have used them with kydex holsters in competition and they make for a very stable platform. They are, however, reasonably ugly. Personally, I wear a 1.5" bullhide belt for concealed carry. A good test is to take your present belt and try to pinch the sides together with a thumb and forefinger. If it flexes you need a new belt.

A quality holster will run about the same price or more. My Alessi CQC/S cost me $120, but I don't have a drawer full of holsters that I tried and rejected. Any quality holster will be made of leather or, possibly, kydex although keep in mind that there are a lot of third-rate leather and kydex benders out there. In leather, Alessi, Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, Kramer and some few others are top tier, with Galco, DeSantis, Safariland, Don Hume and others slightly less. An outstanding holster-maker listing, as well as a discussion forum, can be found here. Make sure that any holster you buy is for your gun specifically, i.e., not 4" S&W but S&W 586/686 with a 4" barrel. Also make sure that the slots or straps match the width of your belt. Some manufacturers will tell you that their holster will fit on a 1.5" belt when it has 1.75" slots. Yes, it will fit on the belt but it will also rock back and forth. Uncle Mikes nylon holsters are the worst on the planet, followed very closely by Uncle Mikes "kydex" and Fobus.

Using a quality belt and holster will allow you to conceal a much larger gun than you would be able to with lesser equipment. It is much more comfortable, stable, and quicker to draw as it is always in the same place so you're not wasting precious seconds searching for your gun. A quality belt also has the added effect of not having to be overtightened like a department store belt must be to try to make up for its lack of stability.

The bottom line, like so many things in life, you can either pay for quality once or pay for cheap many times.

Edited by pcunningham

My wife uses a fanny pack with a unique hidden pocket. Most people would have to look twice to even see the zippered compartment, but it can be opened in seconds and withdraw the .357 with one hand behind her back (pun).

She bought it at a NV gun show where a woman vendor made them herself. Never saw another one like it.

We are like most here. Seldom carry a firearm either concealed or open. We can, just don't have the need. We do when we think it wise to do so, but that is rare. So why have the extra weight?

My wife uses a fanny pack with a unique hidden pocket. Most people would have to look twice to even see the zippered compartment, but it can be opened in seconds and withdraw the .357 with one hand behind her back (pun).

She bought it at a NV gun show where a woman vendor made them herself. Never saw another one like it.

We are like most here. Seldom carry a firearm either concealed or open. We can, just don't have the need. We do when we think it wise to do so, but that is rare. So why have the extra weight?

Why? Because you don't really KNOW when you might be attacked.

"When it's wise to do so" (and therefore you seldom carry) is like saying you only have a fire extinguisher handy when you're relatively sure you're gonna have a fire. Or you only lock your doors when you think burglars are in the area. I guess it works MOST of the time, but it is not the best way.

It can be a fine line between paranoia and preparedness. It is one's own prerogative to draw it where one wills.

Uncle Mikes nylon holsters are the worst on the planet,

Oh, now you tell me. :(

Okay, a brown paper sack is marginally worse . . . :(

That's a slight exaggeration. I have one. It's not wonderful, but desert bushwhacks take a terrible toll on equipment. It was a shame how fast my nice, leather holster was ruined by the elements and my sweat. The inexpensive nylon holster is not great, but I won't cry when I have to replace it.

It all depends on what im in at the time!! WAS RAISE WITH A GUN SINCE I WAS 8!!!! If im in the pickup there ia AT LEAST 1 pistol a rifle and a shot gun at all times!!! IF im on my ATV checking caches there is AT LEAST a pistol with me!! Having opened a new Sporting goods store I have applied for a CC permit and plan on using it!!! ITS BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!! If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns!! And remember a lock only keeps the honest people honest!

Edited by flyingRfarms

That's a slight exaggeration. I have one. It's not wonderful, but desert bushwhacks take a terrible toll on equipment. It was a shame how fast my nice, leather holster was ruined by the elements and my sweat. The inexpensive nylon holster is not great, but I won't cry when I have to replace it.

Good point. I came at the discussion from my experience, which is concealed carry in an urban/suburban/city park environment. For open carry while bushwhacking the nylon holster may well be substantially better than a brown paper sack.

However, were I to find myself in a situation as you describe, I would still choose a quality kydex holster (Comp-tac, Sidearmor, Blade-tech, etc.) over a nylon holster. Not only is kydex more durable than nylon, it also makes a much more stable platform when properly molded to a specific model of gun. Woven nylon cloth simply cannot be formed to the gun. That's why nylon holsters require a retention strap to hold the gun in the holster.

That's what I was thinking when I ordered from Uncle Mikey. I wasn't looking for a holster to wear under a dinner jacket for a full night on the town. I just needed something I won't mind scuffing or getting dirty out in the woods.

It all depends on what im in at the time!! WAS RAISE WITH A GUN SINCE I WAS 8!!!! If im in the pickup there ia AT LEAST 1 pistol a rifle and a shot gun at all times!!! IF im on my ATV checking caches there is AT LEAST a pistol with me!! Having opened a new Sporting goods store I have applied for a CC permit and plan on using it!!! ITS BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!! If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns!! And remember a lock only keeps the honest people honest!

LOL! Beautiful quotes Flying! Here is one more bumper sticker to slap on that SUV.......

"I WILL GIVE UP THIS HERE GUN WHEN YALL PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD, LIFELESS FANGERS!"

This particular bumper sticker had a pic of a "Cletus" looking yokel armed with an AK-47! LOL!

Depending on where I'm going... and what I choose to carry that day... but usually, it is a smith & wesson 642 snubnose .38 in my front pocket, or my smith & wesson .40 cal auto in a paddle holster or in the back pack (only in backpack when doing long long hikes). Again, be sure you know your local laws and also be sure you know if your caching trip is going to bring you over a state line! You can't be too careful.