Question for those who geocache armed:

I know from the "My geoarsenal" thread that a lot of you carry firearms when you geocache.

For those of you who do, how exactly do you carry while geocaching? I know it depends largely on state laws, but do you wear it openly or conceal it? Do you holster it for quick access or put it in your backpack?

My concern is not just with safety and following the law, but also with comfort. My state allows concealed carry, but my gun is too big to conceal comfortably unless I wear a jacket or some sort of outer garment (I also have a pocket .22, but that's not likely to be very helpful against anything nasty I'd run across out in the woods). And even though it's also legal to carry openly I don't want to frighten or make uncomfortable anyone I might run across on a trail.

I have a basic belt holster that works well, and I could probably hide it sufficiently with a simple vest (I'm planning on getting a blaze orange vest anyway to lessen my chances of getting shot by a nearsighted hunter), and that's the option that I'm leaning towards.

I still haven't decided for sure that I'll carry, but since I usually cache alone I (and my wife) would feel more comfortable if I did. If I do it will only be for out-of-the-way caches, but I'd just like to get some feedback on carrying options.

Thanks.

I know from the "My geoarsenal" thread that a lot of you carry firearms when you geocache.

For those of you who do, how exactly do you carry while geocaching? I know it depends largely on state laws, but do you wear it openly or conceal it? Do you holster it for quick access or put it in your backpack?

My concern is not just with safety and following the law, but also with comfort. My state allows concealed carry, but my gun is too big to conceal comfortably unless I wear a jacket or some sort of outer garment (I also have a pocket .22, but that's not likely to be very helpful against anything nasty I'd run across out in the woods). And even though it's also legal to carry openly I don't want to frighten or make uncomfortable anyone I might run across on a trail.

I have a basic belt holster that works well, and I could probably hide it sufficiently with a simple vest (I'm planning on getting a blaze orange vest anyway to lessen my chances of getting shot by a nearsighted hunter), and that's the option that I'm leaning towards.

I still haven't decided for sure that I'll carry, but since I usually cache alone I (and my wife) would feel more comfortable if I did. If I do it will only be for out-of-the-way caches, but I'd just like to get some feedback on carrying options.

Thanks.

Depends. Most times its on my waist. Sometimes, if I'm doing things around town it might be in an ankle holster (never when out in the bush though), and other times in a fanny pack.

I'm in Arizona and carry openly in a hip holster in accordance with state law. My sidearm is a small-frame .357 revolver, so it's pretty inconspicuous.

I recently switched from a leather thumb-break holster to an all-nylon model with a strap. In theory, the thumb break is quicker (single motion to free the weapon), but in practice I've found that my sweat softened the leather and interfered with crisp operation of the snap (despite adjustments).

Never had any bad reaction to carrying on the trail. Open carry is very common out here, so folks are used to it. The fact that it's a small, businesslike weapon and not an ostentatious hip-cannon helps put people at ease.

I do not carry in gas stations, convenience stores, etc. where people might be alarmed at the sight of a firearm. I'm familiar with the arguments that the odds of needing a weapon are greater in those places, but the near-certainty of spooking someone doesn't seem worth it to me. Ask me again if I end up hurling cans of beans at an armed robber in a convenience store :P

When putt-putting around town, my Glock 21 stays in the side pocket of the driver's door of my Toyota. If I plan on hunting urbans, and the location raises any alarms, I'll slide it into a fanny pack with a built in holster. If I'm going into the woods, and feel the need, I slide it into my CamelBak. If I'm caching in the woods during hunting season, I'll multi task, wearing my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 on my belt.

Wife beater T tucked into the pants to keep the holster and firearm off my delicate skin, with a big honkin' (as in at least a size to big) T shirt on top. Bulge visible, don't care. Open carry is legal in Idaho, but few people exercise it much outside of the real boondocks.

Or Tshirt, shoulder rig, and then a VERY light button down with the sleeves either cut off ala Larry The Cable Guy or rolled up past the elbow.

All this goes out the window when I get even a few miles out of town. Open carry is the letter of the day.

I’ve been experimenting with open carry lately, so far no real problems in Seattle, Federal Way, or Tacoma.

It amazes me that is the law in WA. When I lived out there 90% of the people I knew were anti-gun.

It’s actually the lack of a law that allows it. Laws (all of them) don’t tell you what you are allowed to do, only what you are not allowed to do. Since there is no state law that forbids open carry, it is lawful. Also, since the state has preemption the cities and counties cannot have anything more restrictive.

While WA is, for the most part, liberal, everyone seems to recognize that gun laws do nothing to prevent crime.

I’ve been experimenting with open carry lately, so far no real problems in Seattle, Federal Way, or Tacoma.

It amazes me that is the law in WA. When I lived out there 90% of the people I knew were anti-gun.

It’s actually the lack of a law that allows it. Laws (all of them) don’t tell you what you are allowed to do, only what you are not allowed to do.

I understand that.

Since there is no state law that forbids open carry, it is lawful. Also, since the state has preemption the cities and counties cannot have anything more restrictive.

While WA is, for the most part, liberal, everyone seems to recognize that gun laws do nothing to prevent crime.

It was more the nature of the mindset that surprised me that there hasn't been law put in place. :P

Simple. Carry the same way caching that you do the rest of the time.

Decocked, safety engaged, with one in the chamber. Same as always.

The Snoogstress and I got Berretta Cheetahs for Christmas. (Sequential serial numbers too. Awwww.) She got diamond earrings too for a bling-bang Christmas theme. :P

196_m.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Maxpidition Versapack, fanny pack, or holster in winter. In waist band holsters and moderate hiking would be too uncomfortable. Maybe I'd open carry in AZ if I saw people doing it but even here in the MO wilderness I'd be spending more time answering to police called by 911 than geocaching.

H721-OT_web.jpg

For the XD-40 with an over shirt or jacket.

kel32_380.jpg

For my little pocket gun when the need arises.

You can't open carry in South Carolina. Permits allows carrying "...that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing..." Printing is not that big of an issue as long as it's not obvious what it is to your average Joe.

I carry a Sig 229 in a Maxpedition FATBOY™ VERSIPACK. We live in a rural area of the Finger Lakes in NY state. I have a CC permit and am just more comfortable with it in my pack.

Maxpedition make several options for carrying concealed.

HOWEVER, you should pay attention to your state's laws. In SC, because of the wording of the law, we were cautioned about carrying in a "non-normal" garment. The garment or clothing accessory can not be put down or removed from your person. The exception is a lady's purse because that is a "normal" accessory.

This problem gives rise to if you are carrying in a jacket pocket you can't remove that jacket in a restaurant because it is no longer on your person. Also, if you are using the jacket to conceal the weapon when you remove the jacket the weapon is no longer concealed. You look kind of silly with your dress shirt untucked to cover it.

The same with a fanny pack. You can't take it off in public.

Soooo... one of the Maxpedition packs designed for carry might not be the best in a state with laws similar to SC.

In some ways, SC is more restrictive than some states while in other areas, like carrying you car (two movement rule) it is less restrictive. Heck, we even allow unrestricted sale of switchblades.

i have tried every rig you can think of and I have finally settled on the kel-Tek P-32 with an attached belt clip. Carried inside the pants with the clip showing, it looks like you're carrying a knife and does not need to be covered further. I carry in shorts and tee shirt, button down summer shirt (tucked in), or pretty much any thing more than "nekkid" without it being visible.

Sometimes I'll carry my .45 inside the belt with a tee shirt not tucked in, but that's just because i want to. :)

The Kel-tek is my everyday choice because it is most comfortable and least obtrusive.

Good news in Indiana, they now allow licensees to carry in the state parks.

How do you spot the American with a gun? They're the only ones wearing fanny packs. Just kidding. It's just that nobody else wears them.

When I get back to the US I'll use my 5.11 Tactical Vest (also another way to spot the American carry. Nobody else wears them.)

Thanks.

I do most of my cacheing outdoors and out of the city. I carry my .357 in a vertical shoulder rig with spare ammo pouch on the other side.

One of two ways - 1) I love my Maxpedition Fat Boy. The rear pocket holds a holster to keep my mini Glock .40 nice and snug. Or 2) The way I normally do; on my belt, under an untucked shirt, in a Bianchi Carry Loc holster. This has to be the best CC small-of-the-back holster ever. Trigger guard retention with no over strap and a nice clean draw.

I do most of my cacheing outdoors and out of the city. I carry my .357 in a vertical shoulder rig with spare ammo pouch on the other side.

I'm a Concealed Handgun & an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. I'm also a member/instructor of an in-house security detail for the world's largest oil company for 20 years as of yesterday. We do reloading drills, because you fight like you train.

When I carry outside the work environment, I almost NEVER carry extra ammo. It would mean using a different skill than when I am in uniform and honestly, if I'm proficient with the firearm I'm carrying, I shouldn't need it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you don't expect to be in a movie style gun battle and you don't practice reloading under stress, you can forget ever getting to reload, because you instantly LOSE 70% of your manual dexterity under a stressfire situation. Even if you have a speed loader for that .357, you're basically screwed if you need more than 6 shots to stop a threat. Your best bet would be to make your first shot count and not worry about reloading.

Same goes for an automatic pistol. I shoot IDPA (think IPSC for the less than buff set) and the simulated stressfire situations you encounter there would make you think twice about how much time you actually have to reload even when you're dropping a magazine and trying to get another one in that tiny hole with 70% of your manual dexterity gone from the adrenaline rush.

Make the first shot count and fight like you train. If you don't practice reloading from the configuration you described, then don't expect to ever get the chance. Use the pouch to hold M&Ms. :)

Happy you who lives in a FREE country ! Around here, just to mention "firearm" in a non hunting/shooting forum has you banned ! :)

With every election we wonder if we will be able to keep our guns for hunting or target shooting.

Don't even think about self defense even at home !

Former soviet union states, gun wise, are freer than we in Western EU (except Swizterland)

I should have stayed in the US or why not go back ! Note I lived in NJ, not the best place for gun rights

To diverge from the topic somewhat, in snake country I'm usually carrying my Ruger SP-101 (.357) which is a 5 shot with the first two round being shot shells and the remaining three being hollow points. If I need to defend my self against non-reptilian assailants I guess I'll have to blow through those two shot shells quickly. Any thoughts about this strategy?

To diverge from the topic somewhat, in snake country I'm usually carrying my Ruger SP-101 (.357) which is a 5 shot with the first two round being shot shells and the remaining three being hollow points. If I need to defend my self against non-reptilian assailants I guess I'll have to blow through those two shot shells quickly. Any thoughts about this strategy?

A quick thought.

You are more likley to find the snake, but the odd are that you won't need the ammo unless you just like killing them. If you are in a situation where the snake is going to bite you, you will already be bitten by the time you bring your pistol to bear. If you have warning...you will have time to get away and so will the snake. Most of the time the snake heard you and is gone before you knew there was one to worry about.

In other words, in snake country use a hiking stick, and load the pistol with hollow points. But I'm not an expert in any of that stuff. That's just my opinion.

A quick thought.

You are more likley to find the snake, but the odd are that you won't need the ammo unless you just like killing them. If you are in a situation where the snake is going to bite you, you will already be bitten by the time you bring your pistol to bear. If you have warning...you will have time to get away and so will the snake. Most of the time the snake heard you and is gone before you knew there was one to worry about.

In other words, in snake country use a hiking stick, and load the pistol with hollow points. But I'm not an expert in any of that stuff. That's just my opinion.

I agree.I find it pointless to shoot a snake simply because it's near you.It's not like it's a dog/bear/cougar.It's a snake.Shove it out of the way with a stick and move on.Of course someone will come up with some kind of story to argue my point,but hey I don't live in diamondback country.I sledom run into poisonous snake around my neck o' the woods.A copperhead..or maybe a seldom seen timber rattler(which I've heard are endangered so we won't be shooting any of those reguardless).

So that's just my opinion.You do whatever makes you sleep easier.

I also agree. If you are in snake country, please leave them be. Even this snake was only trying to warn me as it retreated.

b46b9d4a-d60f-4ab7-8307-8582dd93c8a8.jpg

Their presence in an area helps control the rodent population.

Edit for spelling . . . :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

A quick thought.

Your opinion is sound. I'm no expert either, but I know you should never mix ammo.

I've moved a 5 foot rattle snake off the trail with my 6 foot long, red cedar, walking stick and left the S&W 642 I was carrying at the time in my pocket. The snake was lethargic from the cold night and it wasn't budging without some help.

My intent is not to kill anything needlessly and all of the scenarios presented here sound like there may not be a valid reason to carry shot shells while caching, once again showing that man is the most dangerous creature likely to be encountered in the woods.

S&W 642 in a pocket holster. Impossible to tell I've got it, and it's ready and quick to get at if I ever need it. Concealed, per state law (w/CCW permit). Open carry is allowed in Utah, but people freak out over it, so nobody ever really does it unless out in the woods.

Of course someone will come up with some kind of story to argue my point,but hey I don't live in diamondback country.

I do live in rattlesnake country, as well as water moccasin country, and I agree with your point whole heartedly. My favorite treks are deep in the swamps, and I frequently have to move snakes out of my way, or walk around them. I've had my snake boots bitten many times, but never by a snake whose presence I was aware of until the bite. Handguns would've been useless in each of these circumstances.

On a side note, the one time I was envenomated by a snake, it was due to my own stupidity. :laughing:

Leather holster attached between driver's bucket seat and console, mostly.

I rarely actually carry it unless I feel an area is hinky - then I usually leave the area, but if I do carry it's in my pants pocket - AMT Backup 9mm

Best advice- if you feel unsafe LEAVE.

I was thinking about this in regards to the other thread (mugged). Caching is not worth going into any place where there is likely to be a serious human threat.

If your job or other necessity takes you to 'hinky" places, then being armed is a plus, but going to such places unnecessarily is just stupid- armed or not. In fact I might go so far as to say that going to such places armed could be even more stupid than going there unarmed. This would be the case if having a gun actually made you FEEL substantially safer, such that you would take chances that you would not dare to take if

unarmed.

However I have been advised (by a police chief, not a lawyer) that if you intend to carry at all, it is best to carry all the time. The reason is that if, God forbid, you do have to shoot someone, in the inevitable civil suit brought by the dirt-bag's relatives, they will try to show that you "strapped the gun on your hip and went looking for someone to shoot."

The problem:

Lawyer: "Why were you carrying your gun that day?"

Defendant: "I just KNEW there would be trouble, there always is in that neighbourhood."

Lawyer: "So you armed yourself for the specific purpose of going to my client's neighbourhood?"

*it goes downhill from here*

The better way:

Defendant: "I ALWAYS carry a gun if it is legal to do so, sir."

*lawyer pursues another line of questioning because he didn't get anywhere with this one*

Leather holster attached between driver's bucket seat and console, mostly.

I rarely actually carry it unless I feel an area is hinky - then I usually leave the area, but if I do carry it's in my pants pocket - AMT Backup 9mm

Best advice- if you feel unsafe LEAVE.

I was thinking about this in regards to the other thread (mugged). Caching is not worth going into any place where there is likely to be a serious human threat.

If your job or other necessity takes you to 'hinky" places, then being armed is a plus, but going to such places unnecessarily is just stupid- armed or not. In fact I might go so far as to say that going to such places armed could be even more stupid than going there unarmed. This would be the case if having a gun actually made you FEEL substantially safer, such that you would take chances that you would not dare to take if

unarmed.

However I have been advised (by a police chief, not a lawyer) that if you intend to carry at all, it is best to carry all the time. The reason is that if, God forbid, you do have to shoot someone, in the inevitable civil suit brought by the dirt-bag's relatives, they will try to show that you "strapped the gun on your hip and went looking for someone to shoot."

The problem:

Defendant: "I just KNEW there would be trouble, there always is in that neighbourhood."

Lawyer: "So you armed yourself for the specific purpose of going to my client's neighbourhood?"

*it goes downhill from here*

The better way:

Defendant: "I ALWAYS carry a gun if it is legal to do so, sir."

*lawyer pursues another line of questioning because he didn't get anywhere with this one*

I carry every once in awhile, but have never had the need to draw let alone use my civilian weapon. But I would think that if I ever get in a self-defense situation I would let a lawyer do all the answering for me. You just never know how a prosecuter or a jury views your demeaner, nervous and you over reacted, self confident and you went looking for trouble.

To stay on topic; I carry a Glock 23 in .40 cal with one in the chamber (frangible rounds) on my hip in a Fobus paddle holster. It conceals quite well with a loose shirt or jacket as cover. It 'prints' a bit, but only to those who are searching for it.

O-Mega

Either a Glock 19 in an Alessi CQC/S if I'm able to wear a cover garment, a S&W 642 pocket carry if I'm not. One spare mag for the 19 (in case of mag failure, not because I'm that bad of a shot :laughing:) and a couple of speed strips for the revolver. Like Snoogans, I compete in IDPA and I highly recommend it for anyone who carries.

in my opinion, the most important attribute in a concealed carry gun and carrying rig is comfort.

This has been for me the eternal quest. (which as stated b4 has been mostly solved by the KelTek)

Power and the finer points of functionality (beyond the obvious points of safety and reliability) take a back seat because if you do not have it WITH you, it is worthless. And it gets VERY annoying carrying a gun in most cases after several hours.

It is especially annoying when you REALLY need to keep it hidden and the darn thing is sticking you in the gut and you can't "adjust" it without possibly calling attention to "it."

I also agree that there is really little need to carry extra ammo. the likelihood of ever actually NEEDING it is so remote that the chances of that need also being one that cannot be solved in one mag or cylinder load are very low indeed.

MOST encounters are solved without even firing. Believe it or not that has been the case for me even in a dog attack- which is by far the most likely need of a gun for defence.

Invisibility is also a big consideration for me. There are various places where guns are legal but frowned upon and the potential knee-jerk fear reactions of people who think "only bad guys have guns" which make it prudent to keep one's hardware out of sight. This is a really hard thing to accomplish with light clothing and a big gun.

In Indiana, seeing someone carrying a gun is not tremendously unusual, but it is still a little "tacky" IMO in a place of business. i just imagine it puts the proprietor in "condition red" in a lot of cases.

If I have my HK USPc, its in a IWB holster. If I have my Kel-Tec, it's in a pocket holster. I also have a messenger bag I sometimes have around with me that I can stash anything up to a 1911 in. I never open carry even though VA allows it. Just one of those personal preferences.

Well it is very surprising to see that there are a few people that cary firearmes out there, me personaly I dont have one yet but i do carry a very sharp sheet rock hammer and a pocket knife with me in the woods. Not so much woried about people as I am the bears up here as I do carry food with me sometimes.

A state biologist once told me that Florida has never had a documented bear attack on a human. I repeat this bit of data as a mantra whenever one gets too close. If I lived in a state where bears might dine on me, I think I'd get a can of pepper spray. It works great on highly agitated pit bulls, but not so great on drunks. :(

It’s actually the lack of a law that allows it. Laws (all of them) don’t tell you what you are allowed to do, only what you are not allowed to do.
I understand that.
Since there is no state law that forbids open carry, it is lawful. Also, since the state has preemption the cities and counties cannot have anything more restrictive.

It was more the nature of the mindset that surprised me that there hasn't been law put in place. :(
Tennessee is the same way. Open carry is not specifically illegal, so it is legal (with permit). As I understand the history of the law, it was written that way so a person wouldn't get arrested if someone accidently spotted his/her concealed weapon.
... If your job or other necessity takes you to 'hinky" places, then being armed is a plus, but going to such places unnecessarily is just stupid- armed or not. In fact I might go so far as to say that going to such places armed could be even more stupid than going there unarmed. This would be the case if having a gun actually made you FEEL substantially safer, such that you would take chances that you would not dare to take if unarmed. ...
I have a few thoughts related to this. First, it is not that carrying a weapon makes you feel safer. It actually makes you safer. Second, while I agree that one should not wander blissfully into known danger, I disagree that we should just give up on areas where potential danger exists. Doing this, I believe simply allows the badness in the world to have a 'safe zone' in which it can grow.
Well it is very surprising to see that there are a few people that cary firearmes out there, me personaly I dont have one yet but i do carry a very sharp sheet rock hammer and a pocket knife with me in the woods. Not so much woried about people as I am the bears up here as I do carry food with me sometimes.
You're going to fend off a bear with a hammer and a knife. You are the man.

I have a few thoughts related to this. First, it is not that carrying a weapon makes you feel safer. It actually makes you safer.

Actually, carrying a gun doesn't make you safer any more than carrying a guitar makes you a musician. Having the knowledge, skills, and will to deploy the gun, in addition to carrying the gun, makes you safer. A gun is a tool; you are the weapon.

edited to clarify my point.

Edited by pcunningham

I have a few thoughts related to this. First, it is not that carrying a weapon makes you feel safer. It actually makes you safer.

Actually, carrying a gun doesn't make you safer. Having the knowledge and the skills to deploy the gun, in addition to carrying the gun, makes you safer. A gun is a tool; you are the weapon.

Spot on.

You are also the safety. :(

Actually, carrying a gun doesn't make you safer any more than carrying a guitar makes you a musician. Having the knowledge, skills, and will to deploy the gun, in addition to carrying the gun, makes you safer. A gun is a tool; you are the weapon.
Certainly, I agree with you. To me, the knowledge, skill, and willingness is built into the decision to carry.

A state biologist once told me that Florida has never had a documented bear attack on a human. I repeat this bit of data as a mantra whenever one gets too close. If I lived in a state where bears might dine on me, I think I'd get a can of pepper spray. It works great on highly agitated pit bulls, but not so great on drunks. :(

They said that in NJ too....several years ago. There have since been several documented attacks. None serious, but it's probably only a matter of time.