Poorly GPS

The black rubber around our "yellow" has come off almost all of the way around, it's just about hanging on :(

Would it be OK to take if off altogether and clean off the glue (or what ever it is) around the black rubber and around the GPS and restick it on using superglue? Or would superglue rot the rubber?

If not superglue what else could we stick the rubber back on with? :huh:

Another thing while I am here: I don't know if this is a daft question or not :(

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites inside the vehicle but if we are out in the car it seems to have no problems at all. Could this be something to do with the glass in the two different vehicles? :(

Mandy :(

I used double sided sticky tape to refix mine and it seemed to do a better job than the original glue. Main thing to watch when taking the rubber off and cleaning the glue off it, is to avoid stretching it otherwise you have a lot of surplus rubber and no where to put it. I found it easiest to start at the top with the connector cover parked in tits hole which helped to locate the rubber then work down each side to the bottom without stretching.

Good luck

Hi Mandy,

Sikaflex should stick the rubber back on. Ive used it for automotive applications before with superb results, including rubber trim, but never tried it on an Etrex.

Regarding the Disco's windscreen, unless you have the optional heated windscreen I doubt it's the glass, probably more likely to be the angle of the windscreen being steeper on the Disco and thus the roof shielding a greater proportion of the sky. Saying that, I've never had a problem with the old Etrex sat on the dashboard of the Camel.

Jon

Contact Garmin via there web site. I was told by them to send mine back and they'd look at it. I seem to remember I took it to their Romsey office and they replaced the rubber free of charge while I waited. Another time I had screen problems and they sent me a brand new unit. It was a few years ago, and it was a few years old at the time. It's worth a try?

If not superglue what else could we stick the rubber back on with? :huh:

Another thing while I am here: I don't know if this is a daft question or not :(

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites inside the vehicle but if we are out in the car it seems to have no problems at all. Could this be something to do with the glass in the two different vehicles? :(

With regards to the glue - have you got a spare puncture repair kit lying about with glue in? That glue won't rot the rubber and should stick to the plastic.

As regards to your Land Rover - how old is it and do you know if it has a specially coated windscreen? It may also be the design of the car and perhaps the angle of the windscreen. My old CompactFlash GPSr worked fine in my old Peugeot 406 but really struggles in my Rav4. An external antenna helped a bit (gave an extra lock or two) but in the end I upgraded to a SiRF III CF - which now has an almost full lock without the external antenna. :(

Another thing while I am here: I don't know if this is a daft question or not :huh:

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites ...

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times: Don't take the GPS into the Disco with you. Leave it in the car and enjoy your night out!

:(

Does anyone know Garmins website or email address please :( I think I might try emailing them to see what they say, we sould be OK for a few weeks as we can borrow the little 'uns "yellow" :(

I never thought of a puncture repair kit that's a good idea, we have a few of those about :(

I don't know anything about the disco's windscreen, (I don't know where the diesel goes either so he reckons :(:D ) but will pass on the info on to my other half.

Thanks for all your help :huh:

Mandy :D

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites ...

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times: Don't take the GPS into the Disco with you. Leave it in the car and enjoy your night out!

:(

:D:huh:

You always get one don't ya :(

I just applied some gel superglue at strategic points (having wiped of the gooey adhesive which had failed) and it seems to be holding just fine. I couldn't bear the thought of sending it away for an undisclosed period of time. I guess that makes me a sad caching junkie. :huh:

Does anyone know Garmins website or email address please :( I think I might try emailing them to see what they say, we sould be OK for a few weeks as we can borrow the little 'uns "yellow" :(

I never thought of a puncture repair kit that's a good idea, we have a few of those about :(

I don't know anything about the disco's windscreen, (I don't know where the diesel goes either so he reckons :D:D ) but will pass on the info on to my other half.

Thanks for all your help :huh:

The Garmin site - its not difficult Mandy! :D:(

Better to phone them. I never got a reply to my 'contact us' form-fill type email.

Garmin support

I filled in the form and got an e-mail back a couple of weeks later. Currently, the screen on my Legend keeps going blank / having black lines down it. It's 7 months old but I can't find my reciept and they want to charge my £58.45 to have a look at it. I could get a new one, with 12 months guarantee for £80!

For what it's worth, we have two cars, a Zafira and a Corsa. The Corsa is the runabout of choice and we never have a problem with the faithful eTrex yellow working.

The Zaf on the other had seems to have a mind of its own when using the GPS. Some days it works fine, but on others we have to hold the Garmin out the window!! Neither has a coated windscreen or any other special things on the glass.

Meanwhile my Pocket PC with built in Navman works fine in both.

:P

Better to phone them. I never got a reply to my 'contact us' form-fill type email.

Garmin support

I filled in the form and got an e-mail back a couple of weeks later. Currently, the screen on my Legend keeps going blank / having black lines down it. It's 7 months old but I can't find my reciept and they want to charge my £58.45 to have a look at it. I could get a new one, with 12 months guarantee for £80!

Yes, but have you read the other threads that people have been quoted and garmin haven't charged them.

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites inside the vehicle but if we are out in the car it seems to have no problems at all. Could this be something to do with the glass in the two different vehicles? :P

Mandy :)

Absolutly no problems with my gps (same model as yours) in my disco....

picks up signal just as good as outside !

If we are out in the Disco the "yellow" finds it very difficult to track satellites inside the vehicle but if we are out in the car it seems to have no problems at all. Could this be something to do with the glass in the two different vehicles? :P

My CSx fails to work in my office as it has mirrored glass. It does work without a problem in any other building. Sounds like your glass may have similar properties.

I did receive a reply from my email to Garmin. :P

I was going to copy and paste it here but I think I must have deleted it :)

Basically they wanted about 40 quid, to restick the black rubber back on :)

Needless to say I will not be sending it back to them for the repair, folks who are having the repairs done free must have a GPS that is less than one year old (ours is 2 n half)

I did receive a reply from my email to Garmin. :)

I was going to copy and paste it here but I think I must have deleted it :)

Basically they wanted about 40 quid, to restick the black rubber back on :P

Needless to say I will not be sending it back to them for the repair, folks who are having the repairs done free must have a GPS that is less than one year old (ours is 2 n half)

Mandy,

They have been doing free of charge repairs on older units, in some cases replacing the units with new ones, search and you will find.

Does anyone know Garmins website or email address please :D I think I might try emailing them to see what they say, we sould be OK for a few weeks as we can borrow the little 'uns "yellow" :)

I never thought of a puncture repair kit that's a good idea, we have a few of those about :)

I don't know anything about the disco's windscreen, (I don't know where the diesel goes either so he reckons :):) ) but will pass on the info on to my other half.

Thanks for all your help :)

Typing the words Garmin UK address, into Google is far quicker than bashing out the above text on your keyboard, and would take you so much less time to complete! :P

Hi All

Have been reading through the replys about getting Garman GPS repaired.

I broke the small tab that the strap is looped around, I contacted Garmin via there web site and got a reply stating that it would be £56 to repair the unit. I thought this was a lot for a unit that only cost me £60 second hand.

I emailed the person from Garmin about the cost, his reply was this is a stanard charge, but they will repair any part that is broken, replace screens that are scratched and update the memory and software in the unit.

As at the moment I am still thing about it!!!!!!

Regards

Alan

AKA wheelybarrow