caches you refuse to get

bone shaker

I use the short logs to communicate boredom and long logs to communicate approval. I think a lot of people do this. I have tried to make my own caches better over the years. Is is fun knowing that you made something that was fun for a lot of people. :unsure:

Bingo!

Short logs are a great indicator of caches you didn't enjoy. I remember when the ignore list was not available, and you got stuck with caches on your nearest unfound list, that you had no desire to find. Thankfully, they don't exist anymore. :)

I wish that if a person didn't enjoy a cache, they could just say so, not try to hint by making a short log. I tend to make shorter logs lately, and I worry that someone (especially the owner) will think that it means I didn't like the cache, because so many others do that. So I end up saying lame things like, great cache, liked your cache, etc. Anyways. Just an observation. Just because it's short doesn't mean someone didn't like it. There could be other reasons, like mine.

I'm with Ambrosia on this one. Sometimes I like a cache just fine, but I'm short of time when I'm logging*; or there simply isn't a whole lot to say about it, and/or about my search for it, other than "fun hide, thanks for the cache!". I'd hate to have anyone assuming that I think it's a bad hide just because I didn't write an essay...

*There are times when 1) I'm on a dialup connection and 2) I'm sharing the time for that connection with three other people, two of them teens with homework to do (or Runescape to play :P). So how much time I spend on writing a log (or reading/posting in here) depends on whether I'm in that situation, or at my other home base where I have a faster computer and DSL.

We were going to try this one the other day GCWD8Z but came across a scene somewhat like this pic from the site log:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/1b9145...0a295acf007.jpg

No cache is that intriguing to me:) We walked away..no, we ran :P

Well, there IS fair warning about it on the cache page... :unsure:

Me, I wouldn't be particularly bothered by the rodents myself, but would probably give that one a pass since I cache with my dogs, and they're hunters.

I avoid those that are unsafe for a girl on her own. Lately I've been taking my German Shepherd with me but there are a few I visited early on that was plain stupid of me to go to. I'll avoid those types in the future even with the dog.

I always cache with my dogs, except on the rare occasions that I go out with my S.O. and his kids, in which case there simply isn't room in the car for all of us. (Four humans and at least three dogs. :unsure: )

The dogs are good company, they enjoy the rides and the walks when we do park/woods caches, they're good "cover" - nobody pays much attention to someone walking dogs and/or letting them sniff the bushes - AND they're good security.

They won't bite*, and are normally friendly, but they will bark ferociously if someone acts threatening or tries to enter the car... and their mere presence, as well as the fact that they're fairly obviously trained** is a deterrant to anyone who might think about grabbing me, snatching my backpack, etc. Although to be clear, I don't expect my dogs to actually protect me, just to be a deterrant.

None the less, if I feel a cache is in an unsafe area, I'll leave without getting out of the vehicle, or turn around and leave if it doesn't become apparent until I'm on my way ... as in the case of the cache behind the homeless camp, which started you out in a nice little park.

*Yes, I know that for a fact; they've been specifically trained NOT to, and the training has held when tested. :P

**Interestingly, IME the fact that dogs will come when called, stay until released, sit or lie down on command, walk beside the handler off leash, stop barking when told, etc. , is often MORE of a deterrant than a dog which lunges or barks uncontrollably. The assumption tends to be that protective behaviour could be commanded....

After 1500+ cache finds in 5 states, I only have two caches on my ignore list. These two are extreme puzzle caches that require hours of homework and miles of driving around to obtain the coords. If a cache can be logged relatively easy, I will find it.

Edited by wesleykey

There's a local one-acre neighborhood park where the only cache in the park (really a wooded lot in subdivision) is placed next to the neighbor's fence in full view of their living room window (not the cache owner either). With so much room to place a cache why did they put it next to the fence? Needless to say I located the cache "area" and chose to skip this one.

Frisbee/Disc Golf courses seem to be a popular cache hiding area that I don't particularly like going into. The frisbee muggles seem to dislike people (who aren't playing) wandering around their courses, and thus presumably getting in the way.

Frisbee/Disc Golf courses seem to be a popular cache hiding area that I don't particularly like going into. The frisbee muggles seem to dislike people (who aren't playing) wandering around their courses, and thus presumably getting in the way.

I've been to three frisbee courses looking for caches. I've yet to find a single person with a frisbee.

The title is "Caches you refuse to get", but OP cites 'bad caches'. Two different thoughts.

I avoid most caches that require climbing trees (especially those with equipment requirements.) I'm not a young dolphling anymore. I avoid island caches (at least until I can convince my sister to visit and bring some kayaks.) Sorry, I ain't walking across the ice for them either. I avoid the ones that I know will affect my claustrophobia or fear of heights. I avoid certain cachers' hides because of their style (needle in a haystack, or coords deliberately off).

Lessee... Caches that I've walked away from are few. Two on abandoned railroad trestles. One what required crawling into a mine shaft (okay, I was going for it, but I couldn't find my flashlight.) One hidden in concrete slabs of an abandoned pier near a sanitation pier, with a homeless bedroom nearby, and large rats. No. Not digging under concrete slabs with rats around. Nope.

If I don't like the cache or the cache area, I will log thusly. But it will probably not stop me from looking for it. <_< "Coords were 170' off." (That one got deleted.) "Second ugliest place I've ever gone geocaching." (Chache owner thought that was hilarious!) But I hurt someone's feeling last weekend with "Lots of scenic spots in this park. This was not one. This was an ugly spot." So I change the log to: "This nicely hidden cache eschews the beauty of this park, and harkens to its industrial past." :D

I used to play a lot of frisbee golf. It is very fun, but frustrating at the same time (like regular golf). Your frisbee golfers are probably more frustrated with their play than with you. Just give them a fairly clear shot at the next hole and they won't mind too. Pretty much like any other activity; some are okay with quite a few things and others get really uptight over the smallest stuff.

Any micro cache, period. The one and only exception is when I'm out with my best caching bud. Love the dude, but he is a micro ho. ;-) Hide a micro up a pig's butt, he'll bring home the chitlins!!! Other than that The Team hasn't intentionally hunted for a micro in almost two years now.

In short, micros suck.

Yeah yeah I know, there are thousands and thousands of really sweet and cool micros out there.......they also suck.

If micros were the only thing out there, or even the majority and I had no other use for my GPSr..........I toss the thing in the trash or give it to my bud the micro ho.

Edited by Team Cotati

So far I haven't seen a single cache I wouldn't / haven't attempted. Although I think I would pass on a Walmart skirt lifter. That said, it must be nice to live in an area where people can be so picky as to never attempt anything inside a city, or anything that doesn't involve a 5 mile hike.

Living in the great plains we have flat. Flat, flat and more flat. Not even much area to go hiking on the flat. Everything here is inside a city or is a farmer's field. Most parks are in the single digit acreage.

I'm happy with just about any cache I can get to. I'm personally working on hiding a couple dozen more in my local area. Non will have anything scenic to look at, or hikes to enjoy. You got to work with what you got.

SC

So far I haven't seen a single cache I wouldn't / haven't attempted. Although I think I would pass on a Walmart skirt lifter. That said, it must be nice to live in an area where people can be so picky as to never attempt anything inside a city, or anything that doesn't involve a 5 mile hike.

Living in the great plains we have flat. Flat, flat and more flat. Not even much area to go hiking on the flat. Everything here is inside a city or is a farmer's field. Most parks are in the single digit acreage.

I'm happy with just about any cache I can get to. I'm personally working on hiding a couple dozen more in my local area. Non will have anything scenic to look at, or hikes to enjoy. You got to work with what you got.

SC

This is true, just please please do not make them micros.

No tresspassing signs, and anything beyond my mental (puzzle caches :anibad: ) or physical (scaling the face of a large rock oucropping hanging over pounding Pacific surf GCQJ8J) capabilities.

Although I must fess up. I was tempted and did go out and poke around a bit with my partner until we figured out that the cache required scaling the face of the "Sea Stack" with stormy seas nipping at our feet. The waves looked really big and really cold and that would have been a nasty private bone chillin' swim :anicute: However, my partner vows to be back on a calmer day....

what's your definition of a "bad" cache?... one that when you pull up to it, you just say " forget it!" I have seen a few... very high muggler area, on a trash can, ...etc. What would it take for you to say, no way!

Most micros with a few exceptions. I'm also getting where I ignore caches that the hider wont specify a size, and prides himself on how well he can camouflage a cache. After a long hike and an hour of poking around in a 10,000 square foot area to allow for bad coordinates, it ceases to be fun.

I'm not saying these are bad caches, I just don't enjoy them

There is one in a Walmart parking lot less than 2 miles from my house. I've been to that Walmart probably a dozen times since it has been placed. Probably parked within 50 feet of it one time or another. No thanks.

Cache snob ! :laughing:

Not really.. It's dependant on how well the lot is policed. (and during the holiday months, I imagine much more than usual.)

Most Wally-World (Sorry, has to do with my last name.) security teams are pretty gung-ho too. They see something out of the ordinary, they're liable to shoot 1st, ask what you're doing later. to say nothing of ruining a perfectly good cache site.

There are a few in my state (Connecticut) where I've gotten close, but decided to keep away because of the location being (a) too close to the store, (.b.) too open to both store, security, & muggles

Some, I don't even give it a 2nd thought.. walk right up, snag it, walk back to my car, sign the log, walk back, place it back, and go about my business.

I've been asked what I'm doing at a few finds.. And, I'll be out & out honest and tell them. If they've never heard about geocaching, I'll explain it, giving the "Educational" spin (learning how to track, seeing obvious clues, etc. Who knows? a future CSI could've been a geocacher?)

Getting back on topic, I tend to stay away from caches placed on mountain sides, requiring climbing gear.

caches placed in the middle of a lake. (label this as under water, or needing a boat to reach)

Those are just plain wrong! (and spoil it for the rest of us.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

Micros.

Odd as it may sound, I actually enjoy LEAVING geoswag. Especially when the person that picks it up mentions it in their log.

I've done precisely TWO micros (excluding ones that are part of multis), and that was only because I was on a two-week holiday on a very small island that only had eight caches on the entire island. I had to get my caching fix somehow. :laughing:

Repetative, uncreative micros hidden under newspaper stands. Lots of those here in LA, especially by one particular cacher. bah.

Then you'll hate my "That Was Easy" series. (GC171XM for example) All caches are duplicates, at different

store locations.

not uncreative, meant to be easy.. hand a 5 yr old the GPSr, and tell them to find it. What you'll end up

with, is a happy 5 yr old, and a little extra competition as they get older.

Stephen (gelfling6)

I've yet to find a single person with a frisbee

Move to Austin, TX - you'll find more frisbee golfers than you know what to do with (not that there's anything wrong with that [:laughing:]). It actually looks quite fun...

Some here in Connecticut too.. When looking for one cache, I noticed the 'holes' frame and heard a group playing nearby.. So, as soon as I signed the log, I now needed to find the next cache.. Naturally, the blazed path to the next cache, was the course. So, I decided to bushwhack to get off the course..

Most frisbee golfers are patient. not all go a little haywire like the regular types.

AngryGolfer.jpg

I've yet to find a single person with a frisbee

Move to Austin, TX - you'll find more frisbee golfers than you know what to do with (not that there's anything wrong with that [:laughing:]). It actually looks quite fun...

Some here in Connecticut too.. When looking for one cache, I noticed the 'holes' frame and heard a group playing nearby.. So, as soon as I signed the log, I now needed to find the next cache.. Naturally, the blazed path to the next cache, was the course. So, I decided to bushwhack to get off the course..

Most frisbee golfers are patient. not all go a little haywire like the regular types.

AngryGolfer.jpg

what's your definition of a "bad" cache?... one that when you pull up to it, you just say " forget it!" I have seen a few... very high muggler area, on a trash can, ...etc. What would it take for you to say, no way!

Any cache that would put the seeker at risk. I'm not talking about 5 terrain here, I'm talking about a cache placed in a very bad neighborhood or in an area where you have to hope the local hobo isn't home while you search.

We were in San Francisco a while back and while searching for a cache, we came up with syringes, and other items not suited to be mentioned here. Needless to say, it was one of our only DNF's of the day.

I have only had two and they were both in the last week or so. One was on private property with no tresspassing signs. I checked the listing and it said it was ok but I just ain'ta gonna tresspass and the other was near an overpass and a real hog pen. It looked like a hobo jungle back there and I could not imagine ever wanting a find that bad

I'm pretty inexperienced so most of my banned search list has to do with being limp, lame, and lazy. I'm not climbing anymore trees for a cache nor will I climb street signs. I won't walk more that about a half mile from the pavement, unless I have all day for an easy stroll. I avoid terrain that is 3.0 or higher and difficulty of 3.5 or higher. (Difficulty max will go up with experience, I hope.) I don't go on private property. I don't cache an area where I can't park the car a safe distance from traffic. (Basic safety stuff.) I've done a few puzzle caches but I'm not big on them. I prefer to cache where I can take my dog and the terrain is reasonably flat.

The ones I refuse to get are the ones here localy that are places in limited access areas. 2 are placed in side a nature center and you have to pay $6 to get in. You can park about 1/2 mile away and hike in if you want, plus the 1/2 to the 2 caches. Then there a series placed inside the audubon society that requires a $4 "contribution" to get in. And the latest ones are inside a land trust that the public can only access from 9am - 4 pm the 1st and last Saturdays on the month, they were listed at 8pm on the first Sat. of this month. So anyone wanting to hunt them must now wait 4 weeks to even try. All of the have been hidden by 1 cacher.

I only skip caches when I travel and there's so many choices. A recommendation from a local cacher is king but in the absence of that. I usually make the decision to seek or not to seek on the fly and it is almost always based on the cache page content.

If a cache page has basic information such as parking, trail head location, equipment needed, facilities near, and things like that.. that is a plus.

If a cache page has a one sentence description... that is a minus.

Three or more recent DNFs.. that is a minus.

Recent owner maintenance.. that is a plus.

Strongly negative find logs.. that is a minus

Strongly positive and wordy find logs that is a plus.

A lot of TFTC logs.. that is a minus.

More than one bookmark or over 5 people watching it.. that is a plus

If in still in doubt, I go. If I end up in a parking lot.. depends on my mood.

Wow. I'm glad no one is doing the front yard caches in this area. I am also in agreement that parking lot caches, by the mall caches, by the side of a busy road for no reason caches are all on the ignore list. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but what about other caches that beg for someone to call the police or maybe the mental health board? Caches that call for people to lay on the ground in the middle of a busy playground, or snoop around the grounds of a hospital, or within feet of someone's backyard, or at an elementary school, or near a police station.... These are all on my "Do we really want to draw that much negative attention to caching?" list. I have to admit that I have, despite my better judgment, looked for some of these. I am getting more picky though even for those caches in my immediate area that I'd like to clear off my list. I don't question that the owner's of these caches are well-meaning, and I understand that geocaching appeals to a range of interests for a variety of reasons. However, Let's raise the bar and ask cache owners and administrators to run prospective caches by the "Is this going to make the news as a terrorist scare or get someone arrested?" test.

Edited by BuggBear

Most Wally-World (Sorry, has to do with my last name.) security teams are pretty gung-ho too. They see something out of the ordinary, they're liable to shoot 1st, ask what you're doing later. to say nothing of ruining a perfectly good cache site.

Don't think I'd be too worried about that at WW.

What are they going to shoot with? if they have a (offensive G word deleted by moderator) they will lose their $5/hour job! :lol:

Anyway I guess I'll put in another vote for:

- coordinates lead to a lamp post or the vicinity thereof

- no trespassing sign

- park closed

- caches in someone's yard (exception if the cache is VERY obvious)

- county line signs

- roadside caches with no safe pull-off

- muggle infestedness

Caches where the owner boasts about using "soft cords" to try to make the cache more challenging to find.

Now thats just wrong. If I'm at a cache that I do find that the coordinates are off about 30 feet, I'll set down my Vista HCX and get a good set of coordinates that are accurate to within about 8 feet(averaged...) and then post it on the site. It does help to have accurate coordinates...

Caches where the owner boasts about using "soft cords" to try to make the cache more challenging to find.

Now thats just wrong. If I'm at a cache that I do find that the coordinates are off about 30 feet, I'll set down my Vista HCX and get a good set of coordinates that are accurate to within about 8 feet(averaged...) and then post it on the site. It does help to have accurate coordinates...

30 foot ARE accurate coordinates and your 8 foot coordinates are no better. Go back an hour later and YOUR coordinates will be 30 feet off.

The quoted poster is no doubt referring to coordinates purposely posted with error... like 200 foot of error frinstance.

I've been to three frisbee courses looking for caches. I've yet to find a single person with a frisbee.

At ours they're very nice. And quite a few know me and know about the caches. They're usually the funny ones too, saying some smart comment every time I check on a cache.

[Edited by moderator. Don't rely on the forum software to make your post family-friendly!]

Edited by Keystone

Honestly, I know there is a lot of angst against certain types of caches and such, but I really like all caches...

Yes, even the unimaginative ones...

I like caching because it gets me to see places in a different way - even if it is just another magnetic key hider on a guardrail or a pill bottle under a lamppost, they are still fun for me. Of course I prefer an ammo box in the woods, but I like any cache.

I do get a bit disappointed if I hike for 3 miles and bushwhack only to find a micro in the woods... but, I probably will still enjoy the hike and laugh about the sillyness of the cache :-)

30 foot ARE accurate coordinates and your 8 foot coordinates are no better. Go back an hour later and YOUR coordinates will be 30 feet off.

The quoted poster is no doubt referring to coordinates purposely posted with error... like 200 foot of error frinstance.

I greatly disagree with that statement. My GPS will walk me back to with 1 or 2 feet of the same coords, day after day. Maybe a few years ago the technology wasn't any better than 30 foot, but I haven't seen anything that bad lately. Even 2 different models laid side by side give coords with a foot of each other in my personal experience.

If I find the coords of a cache to be off badly, I will get a good lock and post the coords in the find page to help the next cacher. Almost every time the next person wrote something to the effect of "I had trouble with this one at first. SD's coords put me right on it."

SD

I may get slammed for this post, but, here goes....

When the placer of the cache is unable to spell, or use his/her native language properly, it sends a chill up my spine. A cache listing with grammatical and spelling mistakes leads me to believe that the placer is also incompetent in other skills, including reading numbers off their GPSr. I do not do these caches!

When the placer of the cache is unable to spell, or use his/her native language properly, it sends a chill up my spine. A cache listing with grammatical and spelling mistakes leads me to believe that the placer is also incompetent in other skills, including reading numbers off their GPSr. I do not do these caches!

I'll have to agree I am a bit leery about those as well.

I have to ask, define native language. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps the cache owner was using YOUR native language. But then again, perhaps I'm making an incorrect assumption on your native language.

Jim

Nanos. I won't go out of my way at all (knowingly) for any nano cache. In fact, the other weekend I refused to walk 100 feet away from my car for a nano. Simply wasn't worth the effort on my part. A whole woods to hide a cache in, and they stuck a nano 100 feet from the parking lot on a picnic table. Boo! :rolleyes:

Nanos. I won't go out of my way at all (knowingly) for any nano cache. In fact, the other weekend I refused to walk 100 feet away from my car for a nano. Simply wasn't worth the effort on my part. A whole woods to hide a cache in, and they stuck a nano 100 feet from the parking lot on a picnic table. Boo! :rolleyes:

But you would have enjoyed an ammo box 100 feet from the parking lot?

Here is my DNF log for a nano that I loved (yes... my DNF!!)! The Brown Bridge in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Absolutely. "Texters" are the worst, in my opinion. no capitalization no punctuation n spelz lke n id0it

Guess I'm getting old. Maybe the Queen was wrong about English and this is evolution in front of our eyes, but I sure hope not!

(edited for proper spelling, punctuation, and grammer)

Edited by knowschad

But you would have enjoyed an ammo box 100 feet from the parking lot?

If it were well hidden under that same picnic table, it would have been very enjoyable. I'd love to see someone pull that off. :D Anyone can slap a nano there, heck a blind monkey can do that. But an ammo can? That would take some skill.

I did a couple of caches last year where they were intentionally placed just outside the window of a business. One was a barber shop. The other was an office for a cemetery. I knew they were in on the joke which why I hated them more. I'm not going to be someone's casual entertainment. :D

Recently did an "Off Your Rocker" at a Cracker Barrel. I had 5 patrol cars sitting outside at the same time too. They even came out after breakfast while I was signing the log. It's amazing how invisible you feel if you're fiddling around with a cell phone instead of a regular GPSr. Everybody has got a cell phone! :rolleyes: