caches you refuse to get

bone shaker

personly,i dont like caches that are too far away from bars....BBUUUrrrrrrrp

Hey now there's an idea! :rolleyes: Kill two birds with one stone... get a smiley AND a beer in one stop. Are there any guidelines against an "over 21" bar cache? :D

Edited to add (with the bar owner's permission, of course)

If your cache page describes a bar, or requires you to go inside a bar, then yes. The Commercial Cache guideline would require that you write first to Groundspeak for permission to list this sort of cache on their website.

Edited by Keystone

I won't do caches on apparent private property without any mention of it being private and ok on the cache page. Went to one where logs mention sometimes the gate is locked and they hiked in, other times it's found open and they drive in. Wasn't posted but also gave every semblance of being private property whether they'd closed and locked their gate or not

Edited by jackrock

... one that when you pull up to it, you just say " forget it!"

Hmmmm..........

There are a few in the vicinity I've ignored.

One is a multi that has bad coords on most or all stages, and takes you to a match container. It's not in an interesting location.

One requires knee high rubber boots, a long walk in rough terrain, and it's in an area full of skeeters and snakes. One smiley ain't worth the effort.

If the scales tip too far on the "just not worth it" end, I'll pass over it.

I don't ignore any cache unless I know it to be gone from researching past logs and perhaps visiting the site.

I figure someone went through the trouble to put it out so I could play my favorite game/hobby even if it only took them 5 minutes, it was 5 minutes they didn't have to take to do something for me and other cachers. I've seen my hide technique get better with time and I figure with encouragement the same will happen for these cachers. I often email hiders if I find some issue with a cache, never recieved a bad email back in reply.

A spoon full of sugar...

One is a multi that has bad coords on most or all stages, and takes you to a match container. It's not in an interesting location.

I live in your vicinity, and I think I know which cache you're referring to. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been archived (no surprise there...)

I'm surprised you didn't mention the latest addition to my ignore list: a bison tube (I suspect) in the raised concrete median of a major intersection, likely buried somewhere among gravel, glass, and the occasional car part. When I visited it, the weather was 40 degrees and rainy, and traffic was heavy. I got out of the car after all the traffic had cleared out, kicked around a little of the gravel/glass mixture at the coordinates, drove on, and never looked back.

Edited by DavidMac

Since my first post on the topic back in January, I have added two more caches to my Ignore listing:

-- A nano/micro hidden inside a parkade. 14 DNFs and at least a couple of the logs mention an encounter with a security guard. Only Find on the cache are personal friends of the cache owner. Not surprising that there have been no logs for it for almost two months.

-- A cache which was hidden in the middle of a homeless camp. One person described finding the container in the "living room" and another said they found the cache "under his pillow". I'll give the owner the benefit of the doubt and say the camp came after the cache but since the hidden date and the first logs mentioning the poor area occur on the same day I have a hard time believing it.

(Any surprise they belong to the same owner?)

I'm also getting sick of micros under garbage cans, but I haven't started ignoring them yet -- I'm too much of a numbers person to pass my a free +1 to the Find count. :lol:

There are certain cachers whose caches are summarily placed on the ignore list...one in particular, and a select few who have similarly aligned. Just the cachers name is enough to earn a quick trip to the ignore list - don't care if it is absoutely the most creative hide ever placed in the most beautiful spot imagineable.

And then there's one cache where the efforts to find it began intruding on the time available to find many more...so el deleto it went.

Caches where the owner boasts about using "soft cords" to try to make the cache more challenging to find.

Now thats just wrong. If I'm at a cache that I do find that the coordinates are off about 30 feet, I'll set down my Vista HCX and get a good set of coordinates that are accurate to within about 8 feet(averaged...) and then post it on the site. It does help to have accurate coordinates...

30 foot ARE accurate coordinates and your 8 foot coordinates are no better. Go back an hour later and YOUR coordinates will be 30 feet off.

The quoted poster is no doubt referring to coordinates purposely posted with error... like 200 foot of error frinstance.

I greatly disagree with that statement. My GPS will walk me back to with 1 or 2 feet of the same coords, day after day. Maybe a few years ago the technology wasn't any better than 30 foot, but I haven't seen anything that bad lately. Even 2 different models laid side by side give coords with a foot of each other in my personal experience.

If I find the coords of a cache to be off badly, I will get a good lock and post the coords in the find page to help the next cacher. Almost every time the next person wrote something to the effect of "I had trouble with this one at first. SD's coords put me right on it."

SD

Ditto that SD. :)

I may get slammed for this post, but, here goes....

When the placer of the cache is unable to spell, or use his/her native language properly, it sends a chill up my spine. A cache listing with grammatical and spelling mistakes leads me to believe that the placer is also incompetent in other skills, including reading numbers off their GPSr. I do not do these caches!

Absolutely. "Texters" are the worst, in my opinion. no capitalization no punctuation n spelz lke n id0it

Guess I'm getting old. Maybe the Queen was wrong about English and this is evolution in front of our eyes, but I sure hope not!

(edited for proper spelling, punctuation, and grammer)

The above messages probably come as close to describing a scenario that would make me not want to pursue a cache. Even then, I might check it out if I am in the area and re-consider if it appears to be worth the time.

I ALMOST agreed with the comment made about medians but I did find a cache on a wide strip of median on a highway near my office. There is a clump of trees there which conceals a American Revolution-age graveyard. The marker stones themselves appear almost ready to crumble. There is a strong metal fence around the lot of them and the cache was located on the outside of the fence. I passed this clump of trees every weekday for years and never knew it was there...within a couple hundred feet of a Whataburger! May their souls rest in peace...from the highway and drive-through traffic.

Aside from that, I'd have to agree with the private property issue and the posted "No Trespassing" signs.

Caches I don't bother with:

Urban high-muggle caches,

SOS urban micros (LPCs, magnetic ket holders, etc.)

Dense overgrown vegetation (like to see where I am stepping)

Caches involving obvious tresspassing on private property.

Caches with a danger element (I take the kids)

Caches I look for:

Caches in parks.

Caches that take me to scenic and interesting places.

Caches that involve some hiking (yes I need the exercise)

Challenging caches were I have time to look without dealing with muggles.

To each his own, but I rather have one particularly enjoyable find in a day than 40 dull ones.

The above messages probably come as close to describing a scenario that would make me not want to pursue a cache. Even then, I might check it out if I am in the area and re-consider if it appears to be worth the time.

I ALMOST agreed with the comment made about medians but I did find a cache on a wide strip of median on a highway near my office. There is a clump of trees there which conceals a American Revolution-age graveyard. The marker stones themselves appear almost ready to crumble. There is a strong metal fence around the lot of them and the cache was located on the outside of the fence. I passed this clump of trees every weekday for years and never knew it was there...within a couple hundred feet of a Whataburger! May their souls rest in peace...from the highway and drive-through traffic.

Aside from that, I'd have to agree with the private property issue and the posted "No Trespassing" signs.

Where is there a cemetery that old in Texas? :)