How did you choose your Geocaching name?

Degai

shortly after moving from the lower peninsula mich to the upper our daughter and her husband were sent to Kawait and we ended up with four grand kids with the two we had with us we had them for a year and the neighbors called us the Loonefarm cause the house only had three bed rooms and we were now a family of eight and I am an ordained reverand

alas rev loonfarmer :rolleyes:

When I first got into geocaching, I was Shalady88. My nephew couldn't say Aunt Tricia, so I was Aunt Sha. Family has called me Sha since. Met my husband when I was 15 and "Lady" by Kenny Rogers was our song...so he has called me Shalady since. We got married in 1988 so I threw the year on the back of it.

Then my family decided to join my addiction and we wanted a Team name. We went with everyone's first initials. A= Andy (our son) T= Tricia (me) M= Michael and then S=Smith and the year we were married - so we changed again to Team ATMS88. Got tired of typing it in all the time so just before the locked down the feature we changed it to ATMS. But I use Shalady88 for most everything else!

First cache we went to look for after getting the GPS was on the top of Blorenge mountain in South Wales - so we became The Blorenges. Only word to rhyme with orange by the way! And for those of you who live in truly mountainous regions, Blorenge is about 1800 feet high - that's a mountain to us!

We tend to be known as Mr and MrsB - especially MrsB in the UK chat rooms!

Chris and Lucilla

My family nickname is T Bird. Almost everyone in my family calls me that. :sad:

I created the team name Team Supah Sonic. I am an absolute fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, so that became my E-mail adress (xsupahsonicx). Also, my dad and I are quick to find the cache (...well, pretty often). Case closed. :sad:

In the fall of 2002 I was camping in a state park in Texas with my buddy who has been my best friend since 5th grade. We were hanging out, drinking beer, eating unhealthy guy-food, and reminiscing. I was showing off my first GPS that I'd just bought (and was still learning how to use) when I remembered having recently read about a GPS-related treasure hunt game called "Geocaching."

I called my brother (Mushtang) from the campsite with my cell phone. He was in his cubicle. I directed him to the website and gave him our exact lat/long position using my new toy. He soon read off the five or six closest caches, all of which were in or near the park, along with their coords, ratings, etc.

I made careful notes, and then my buddy and I went after the first one. In what would eventually prove to be a permanent DNF jinx for me (every time I take someone for their very first caching experience it results in a DNF) we were unable to find the first cache, one which later turned out to have been muggled.

We pressed on, and the second cache attempt was successful. It was a simple, small Tupperware container hidden against a tree a few yards off a paved trail. It would have been a quick and easy find for an experienced cacher, but it took us about 20 minutes. We pawed through the trade swag. We marveled at the fact that something this cool was hidden here in an obscure spot in the woods, something that nobody else over there on that trail had the slightest clue about. We felt like we were suddenly in on a clever and trendy new secret.

As we stood there reading through the log entries we realized we were going to need a nickname to sign with. We looked at each other and new immediately what to write: In high school our entire clique of nerdy friends had had geeky nicknames; I was King Bruce the First, our friend Dan was King Bruce the Second, and my good buddy was King Bruce the Third. (Everyone else had Prince or Princess this and Duke or Baron that.)

The rest is history. We lost track of KBII several years ago. KBIII never really had enough interest in caching on his own to buy a GPS or start his own account, but over the years he still enjoys the cache hunts when we reconvene each fall for our annual Guys Weekend in whatever Texas park has the most caches in it that year.

My brother Mushtang chose his cacher name about six months later when I finally got around to trying caching at home in Georgia, and invited him along one day to show him what I'd discovered. I'll leave his Geonick Genesis Story for him to tell ...

My brother Mushtang chose his cacher name about six months later when I finally got around to trying caching at home in Georgia, and invited him along one day to show him what I'd discovered. I'll leave his Geonick Genesis Story for him to tell ...

Never. I'll take the secret with me to my grave.

Never. I'll take the secret with me to my grave.

Is that the same grave your old Ford Mustang is in? :sad:

I had no idea what I was getting into when I created an account at geocaching.com. I didn't really want everyone knowing too much about me because I hadn't yet met the multitudes of nice cachers around Fort Worth. I thought :sad: , scratched my head :sad: , pondered :o , ruminated :) , cogitated :sad: and finally ask the wife :o . She said "Well you used to be a navigator on a KC-135, why not ex135navigator". And so it was. :huh: After nearly 500 caches, I shortened it to ex135nav.

9 years ago my uncle, over 75 yrs of age, asked me, a 30 yr old, a simple question. "How many cemeteries are there in Clark Co. (IL)?" :sad: I didn't know. I went to the local genealogical library and asked. They gave me a list- 64 that had been visited and transcribed (ALPHABETICALLY, of all things?!! Really, how can you find anyone in a cemetery when the listing is done alphabetically?). I knew right away of some that were not on that list!

My uncle and I were both members of the Clark Co. Historical Society at the time and he wanted an up to date list for their files. Being afraid to say no to him I embarked on what has become a passion! Since I started we now have 132 known cemetery locations for Clark County, IL, and I have visited slightly more than half of them. I have future plans of transcribing and mapping each little cemetery along with GPS coordinates so that anyone can find a specific cemetery and their long gone loved one.

In visiting these cemeteries I came to love them. I especially care for the abandoned ones. They look so forlorn and I feel so sad that these people were loved and adored by someone and now no one cares where they are. Doing these cemetery visits my family members thought I was nuts and started calling me a grave-chaser since I would rather be out looking/visiting tombstones than doing things with the family (in-laws, not my immediate family). Honestly I get along better with the tombstones. :sad:

When we were introduced to this game I realized how great it would fit in with my cemetery fetish. After the kids and I cruised the geocaching website we knew we HAD to get into this and the kids were the ones who suggested my nickname from the in-laws. After all, if the nickname fits...wear it with pride!

I have used my nick since I first got into computers in the late 80s early 90s, back in the dial-up BBS scene (Hah, lets see how many people here know of or remember those!) Matt is my first name, Cats where my favorite animals at the time, so, MatCat.

Edited by matcat

Been using the name Buckazznkdntx for some time. Usually on local radio shows and such I use this name. I also have a forum for local people of Southeast Texas where my name is Buck A. Naked. Due to always calling out local poloticians and such I must hide behind the character Buck, so that is where mine comes from. Buck

I chose to leave the hussle and bussle of the big city and forever lingering possibilities of liability in law enforcement, and move to the country. For all intents, I exiled myself from society. I have a small cabin on the sunnyside of a very old mountain range. My little night time gig as a hotel manager allows me to continue my endeavors as a writer, and pursue other exploits during the day, like geocaching, etc. Also, a popular song from ages ago, "Islands in the stream. That is what we are", I choose to be an ex-isle in the stream. Hence..."X-isle". I never liked the BeeGees in any case. :laughing:X

Great thread, btw!

smaller.jpg

Edited by X-isle

Before getting into geocaching, we were on a trip to Hawaii, and turtles just became interesting to Mrs. Turtle. She started doing some research, and found out that turtles have been used to give us directions, points to a trail or where a treasure is located. (See the Treasure Hunters University)). Once we got interested in geocaching and had to come up with a name, Turtles had to be included. We then decided on TurtleTrekkers!

My name is Vinny. My wife's name is Sue. To create the team name, I added the operator "&", which denotes "and", to join the words Vinny and Sue, and then added the word "Team" at the end, thus forming the incredibly creative name "Vinny & Sue Team". Yes, I know... no need to tell me: this is the most terribly creative and exotic geo name in the world, with an aura of mystery, a bouquet of ambiguity and wild adventure, and a flair second to none.

I think.

:blink::ph34r:

When my daughter was two and I was still in grad school, I tried to explain to her what I was doing. "Ph.D. in physics" seemed a stretch, so I went for "star doctor" since I did my masters work in astronomy. That seemed to satisfy her, and the name sort of stuck. Since I didn't feel like typing the whole thing, I shortened it to StarDoc.

Star-geezer, I like your picture. I'm also president of the local astronomy club.

My name is Vinny. My wife's name is Sue. To create the team name, I added the operator "&", which denotes "and", to join the words Vinny and Sue, and then added the word "Team" at the end, thus forming the incredibly creative name "Vinny & Sue Team". Yes, I know... no need to tell me: this is the most terribly creative and exotic geo name in the world, with an aura of mystery, a bouquet of ambiguity and wild adventure, and a flair second to none.

I think.

BRILLIANT! Why didn't I think of that? The obvious sometimes eludes the greatest minds. Now....what's the hidden meaning? Hmmmm?

:angry::D

The name was chosen many moons ago, primarily for anonymity on Newsgroups, but it has stuck quite nicely over the years. Even made it to Gmail account (remember the gmail invite swaps? took me a good Cuban cigar to get in soon enough to reserve it!)

Basically, when the name chose me, I was an E4 in the Army with a wife and 3 to support. Futility was my friend. Still have the wife, the kids, and the name!

My name is angevine. I grew up in Angers, France, and a woman from that region (Anjou) is known as an angevine (a man is an angevin). Those of you who studied French history will remember the Angevin kings, who were from Anjou.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Made a couple of mistakes in choosing it:

1) although in French the first "a" is lowercased, I should have uppercased it; has created some confusion;

2) I didn't stop to think about how people might pronounce it. It's actually pronounced ahn-ge-veen, not that it's obvious to others, as I found at my first geo-event when I was referred to as ange-vine (to rhyme with fine), which sounds a little like someone from a country-western song.

But such is life....

Jeannette

www.Jeannettecezanne.com

When I first started going on line I needed a user ID, I tried several combinations of my name, age, or birthday only to find anything I came up with and liked was already taken by someone else. At this point I decided that using my real name was out of the question. I college I got my name and that's what I used.

Now how did we come up with the name humanloofa, it was not a name but more of an occupation at the time. There were several of us sitting around a campfire having a deep philosophical discussion while drinking tequila ( that should explain it). I surmised the human beings were by nature creatures of habit, and we had no way of knowing if every time we washed our back we missed a spot. I decided I should become an aquatic hygienic consultant, A few lime wedges latter the term humanloofa was formed. I even had business cards printed up, and they did work with a few people (good clean fun in the shower) :rolleyes: . And that's how I got my name. Coincidentally my avatar is a tattoo on my right calf and the Latin in my sig line is written around it.

[Monty Python]

Joe of TC: The Lady of the Cache, [angels sing] her arm clad in the

purest shimmering tupperware, held aloft a geocache from the bosom of

the tree trunk signifying by Divine Providence that I, and my friends, were to

become Trinity's Crew! [singing stops]

[/Monty Python]

Okay. That's a lie. We unsuccessfully cached a couple of times with my wife's brother in 2001. My kids also placed a cache on an island in the Chesapeake that was quickly muggled. My brother-in-law lost interest after that and we didn't own a GPS, so we took a hiatus.

We finally got our own GPS in '04. I couldn't remember the name of the old account but I printed off some caches and hit the trail. (You didn't need an account to access coordinates yet.) We took some friends and found the first cache we looked for. My wife was entering the find in the log when we realized we didn't have a name. It was an easy choice to name ourselves after the youngest member of our "crew".

Not as good as singing angels and cache tarts, but there it is.

My "geo-name" is derived from my near-rabid obsession with the Back to the Future Trilogy. It comes from Part 3 specifically, the name(s) that a ravine close to Hill Valley cycles through during the course of the movie. First it was Shonash Ravine, next comes Clayton Ravine (I sometimes use this as a "middle" name), then lastly Eastwood Ravine. I have used Shonash Clayton Eastwood on a few other boards, but I usually shorten it to Shonash Eastwood.