7 digit waypoints

Edgemaster

Sometime today, the last 6 digit waypoint - GCZZZZ was taken. We are to start a new year with new waypoints, starting at GC10000, those with newer and nicer GPSrs are able to take the new waypoints, but those with less flashy devices, such as the yellow eTrex may have to compensate.

Just thought I'd let you know :o

Sometime today, the last 6 digit waypoint - GCZZZZ was taken. We are to start a new year with new waypoints, starting at GC10000, those with newer and nicer GPSrs are able to take the new waypoints, but those with less flashy devices, such as the yellow eTrex may have to compensate.

Just thought I'd let you know :o

Thanks for the advice.

I already have GSAK set up to strip the first two (completely redundant characters) from the waypoint when I download it to my GPS12, which can only take 6 characters. Should be no problem, unless the naming of child waypoints adds too many characters.

Kinda glad that I have never used the waypoints on my GPS and always gone for the smart name. Not perfect I know but I have better luck with the first 6 letters of a cache name than having to cross reference waypoints.

Unfortunately, since my GPS12 truncates to 6 characters smart names don't work for me. I kept wondering why I was getting transfer errors, until I realised that some caches were not on my GPS! Then it twigged.

What I do is use exactly the same method to download caches to my Palm Vx - ie I remove the first two characters (GC). Then, when I look at a named cache in my Palm, I see the same 4 digit code as is on my GPS.

It works fine! :laughing:

Kinda glad that I have never used the waypoints on my GPS and always gone for the smart name. Not perfect I know but I have better luck with the first 6 letters of a cache name than having to cross reference waypoints.

Unfortunately, since my GPS12 truncates to 6 characters smart names don't work for me. I kept wondering why I was getting transfer errors, until I realised that some caches were not on my GPS! Then it twigged.

GSAK can be set to use smart names of length 6, see the configuration settings.

Yes - I know. But if there is a series of caches the first 6 characters of whose names are identical (like The Chiltern Hundreds) , they cannot be differentiated, and my GPS sees them as the same name with different details. If this happens I get an error message when I transfer the waypoints.

Yes - I know. But if there is a series of caches the first 6 characters of whose names are identical (like The Chiltern Hundreds) , they cannot be differentiated, and my GPS sees them as the same name with different details. If this happens I get an error message when I transfer the waypoints.

Which is why I said 'Not perfect I know'!!

Series of caches are the only problem with smart name. I like to know the actual name of a cache I am looking for, using the GC code just doesn't quite stick in your mind when it comes to remembering which one had that little bit extra lift to it.

Which is why I said 'Not perfect I know'!!

Series of caches are the only problem with smart name. I like to know the actual name of a cache I am looking for, using the GC code just doesn't quite stick in your mind when it comes to remembering which one had that little bit extra lift to it.

I agree - but my Palm gives me that, as I mentioned above.

It just shows how flexible caching is - there are numerous different ways of organising our caches that everyone can tailor it to their own needs (or pockets!).

Same problem here. I much prefer the smart names, so one thing I do is to strip out the repeating names of the particularly annoying prefixed series under tools...options..."smart names drop words"... eg.

1412200610226.png

Not sure if this helps in your particular case, the original cache name would still need something else to identify it... not just "CACHESERIES #1".

Edited by Maingray

Just thought I'd let you know :D

Thanks for the advice.

I already have GSAK set up to strip the first two (completely redundant characters) from the waypoint when I download it to my GPS12, which can only take 6 characters. Should be no problem, unless the naming of child waypoints adds too many characters.

So what steps do I need to take to set up GSAK to strip the first 2 characters????

THANKS!

Just thought I'd let you know :D

Thanks for the advice.

So what steps do I need to take to set up GSAK to strip the first 2 characters????

THANKS!

When you export to your Palm, or other device, there is an option in the set-up screen that enables you to modify the waypoint name. Just put this in there:

%drop2%children %drop2%c_Prefix

There is a similar option in the GPS/Send Waypoints feature, and you put the same code in there.

Hope this helps.

On boot up I am getting an error message telling me that GC1000F is not a valid code! :)

Is this anything to do with the switch to 5 digit codes? :D

I don't even know which programme is seeking the code - any ideas? :D

You dont happen to use FTF.exe by any chance?

Slainge Bob

I do indeed, and that is it. :D

It takes one ROF to know another! :)

I have just run into my first 7 digit waypoint problem. :anitongue:

There are two new caches in Kensington Gardens, London, with 7 digit waypoints and consecutive waypoint IDs.

I use Fugawi UK / Plucker on my palm and these both handle the 7 digits OK but the export of waypoints from Fugawi to my Garmin Geko 201 results in only one of the caches transferring across. I only realised when I looked at the Fugawi map and GPS together in the field and saw one of the waypoints was missing. Luckily I managed to enter the missing waypoint by hand using the info from plucker

Is there an "easy" way of automatically stripping the "c" from the waypoint names in the Loc file before importing into Fugawi or once in fugawi before export to the GPS ? This would reduce them back to 6 digits.

This problem will only get worse as time goes on and manually renaming all the new waypoints will not be viable.

Any ideas ?

Paul

;):anitongue::anitongue: Am also having big probs with mem map and gsak now since new waypoints have come out!!!!

When opening mem map am getting error message GC------- is not a valid waypoint code,also will not send waypoints to gps,can only seem to send them via Gsak and that takes a while to sort out!!!!

Also running FTF.exe in the background which is now not working. ;):signalviolin::wub:

Anyone got any ideas?

;):anitongue::anitongue: Am also having big probs with mem map and gsak now since new waypoints have come out!!!!

When opening mem map am getting error message GC------- is not a valid waypoint code,also will not send waypoints to gps,can only seem to send them via Gsak and that takes a while to sort out!!!!

Also running FTF.exe in the background which is now not working. ;):signalviolin::wub:

Anyone got any ideas?

I have for some time stripped the "GC" when exporting from GSAK, so the problem did not arise for me.

As to FTF.exe there is an update if you go to the help dropdown.

It got me yesterday as well. I decided to just use GC.com and EasyGPS rather than mess around, but ended up with one waypoint instead of three. It would have been fine if I was not already at the cache.

Perhaps an option to strip the GC when downloading would be a better option rather than have the cacher mess around.

It got me yesterday as well. I decided to just use GC.com and EasyGPS rather than mess around, but ended up with one waypoint instead of three. It would have been fine if I was not already at the cache.

Perhaps an option to strip the GC when downloading would be a better option rather than have the cacher mess around.

Since the GC prefix is totally redundant, as it adds no information at all, shouldn't gc.com simply abandon it?

Since the GC prefix is totally redundant, as it adds no information at all, shouldn't gc.com simply abandon it?

I have got to agree here, then the codes could literally start again at 1

davy boy.. We use Walkergeoff's excellent suggestion above and now strip "GC" off all waypoints in GSAK. Everything then transfers to MM as normal.. and then to our rather ancient PDA.

I'm new ro GSAK so can you explain how you did this?

The basic idea is detailed in one of my posts in this thread.

If you want a really useful guide to using GSAK, try the 'Paperless Guide' link here.

I have got to agree here, then the codes could literally start again at 1

Me as well. I have thought this for a while as having all the waypoints start the same on most GPS makes searching a slow and laborious process. On my Yellow eTrex I just have to scroll if it is not on the nearest list. Perhaps it is time I learnt to use Greasemonkey scripts properly and try to impliment it myself within the terms and conditions of GC.com.

:D:D:D Am also having big probs with mem map and gsak now since new waypoints have come out!!!!

Also running FTF.exe in the background which is now not working. :D:D:D

Anyone got any ideas?

I have for some time stripped the "GC" when exporting from GSAK, so the problem did not arise for me.

As to FTF.exe there is an update if you go to the help dropdown.

Jim the person who wrote FTF.exe had an up date a few days ago. It was still being tested. I got a sneek peak on Sat to test that it worked. And it does!! :D

I use 6 character smart names and they are all different - even with a cache series like you mention. Have you tried the 'Recalculate smart name' option?

Lisa

I use 6 character smart names and they are all different - even with a cache series like you mention. Have you tried the 'Recalculate smart name' option?

Lisa

I am interested in knowing more about that option. :D

It's on the menu under the Database heading. I'm pretty sure that's what I used when I had the same problem with the smart names a while back.

Lisa

Lisa

I am interested in knowing more about that option. :laughing:

It's on the menu under the Database heading. I'm pretty sure that's what I used when I had the same problem with the smart names a while back.

Lisa

Thanks for that one. I have just tried it, and it works fine!

How do you make it use a smart name format for the child waypoints?

Edited by walkergeoff