Ipswitch area caches

Simply Paul

Given today's dreadful news that the bodies of two more young women have been discovered within a few miles of Ipswitch in Suffolk, have local caches been temporarily suspended to avoid any disruption to the police work in the area?

If any forum-using local knows the areas in question perhaps they could suggest that the owners do this - if they've not already.

Edit: Having checked the system with a guessed-at post code, it seems no caches have been suspended as yet, even though some must be close to the locations where a total of five bodies have been located. While the investigation is ongoing, wouldn't it be wise to suspend woodland caches? Cachers can look a bit suspicious at the best of times... :)

Edited by Simply Paul

Hate to say, as I have been the 'member of the public', who has found a dead body...floating in the Thames, I am quite prepared mentally to the fact that I might find another out caching. We do go out in the most likely of places.

Once went out on a man hunt on Berkhamsted Common, with the body being found in an area of Ashridge that has a number of caches in now.

This summer early morning caching in Cornwall, discovered three dead cows in a field and not a pleasant sight, but you just do your duty.

One of us will come across a body whilst caching sooner or later, my advise is be prepared.

It looks like the nearest cache to where any of the bodies were found has already had a note logged on the cache page by Lactodorum suggesting a temporary disabling of the cache.

Yes, I checked the location while the news was on yesterday and found two caches nearby, one less than a mile away from where the last two bodies were found. I felt the owners knew the situation better than I so I decided to leave it up to them to decide what action was most appropriate.

In any case there would be no public access for the time being due to the police cordon.

Strangely, I agree. A deterrent to most crime is not the fear of punishment but the fear of discovery, and the greater chances of discovery derive from the the more numerous the persons strolling along the streets and out in the fields and woods.

I would only restrain access to caches which would directly impede police investigations, but as for all other caching - continue and enjoy and be VIGILANT!

Surely the more cachers out looking at this time would be best.We could actually help the police keeping a lookout for "crimes" :huh: ..Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :surprise:

I'm not sure it's really a subject to be making jokes about....

I know it's your sense of humour Kev, but at the end of the day 5 women have died...!

.Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :surprise:

If you can do better why not join up?

but back on track

I am sure there is no need to disable caches, I expect the police would close off any area they need to do their thing and the owners will hopefully be aware if their caches are going to cause problems.

I'm not sure police cordons close every footpath access into an area, but even if they do I was more worried about police attention being taken off the case to check on cachers seen 'acting suspiciously' by members of the public. And I wasn't saying that all caches in the area should be shut down, just those ones close to areas where bodies have been found. Hopefully no more women will be killed by this monster and he will be caught soon, and kewfriend makes a good point - any cachers out around Ipswitch should be on the lookout for anything unusual, particularly discarded clothing.

While I hope cache owners in the area are aware of police operations, some may not be, or may have stopped caching themselves. When I last checked everything was still live. Common sense would suggest caching in the area would be a bad idea at the moment, but this forum has highlighted that the term is open to interpretation many times in the past.

I would also agree that caches should not be disabled unless they are in the immediate area of a police investigation. The more eyes are out there, the more chance of seeing something useful to help catch the nutter, so geocaching might just help. For instance, I think that some of the bodies were found by people passing by: should we discourage something which could help turn up more evidence? This is one of the few activities that takes people off the main tracks into areas where evidence may be found (dumped clothing, for instance).

Obviously if you do see someone acting suspiciously, don't approach him - observe discreetly from a good distance away and report!

It could be worth reminding the local police about the location of the geocaches, however, as cachers may generate reports of seemingly furtive activity which could waste police time.

HH

Given today's dreadful news that the bodies of two more young women have been discovered within a few miles of Ipswitch in Suffolk, have local caches been temporarily suspended to avoid any disruption to the police work in the area?

If any forum-using local knows the areas in question perhaps they could suggest that the owners do this - if they've not already.

Edit: Having checked the system with a guessed-at post code, it seems no caches have been suspended as yet, even though some must be close to the locations where a total of five bodies have been located. While the investigation is ongoing, wouldn't it be wise to suspend woodland caches? Cachers can look a bit suspicious at the best of times... :surprise:

Surely the more cachers out looking at this time would be best.We could actually help the police keeping a lookout for "crimes" :( ..Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :(

I'm not sure it's really a subject to be making jokes about....

I know it's your sense of humour Kev, but at the end of the day 5 women have died...!

Sorry,I wasn't joking!

.Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :P

Unfortunately I can only do 1 full time job at a time.

change of career perhaps? :(

Full time Cacher? :(

PS..I give the police 28 days to come up with the perpetrator of these vicious crimes.

Thats more time than any TV detective ever needs!

If they do I will willingly apologise in this thread.

PPS..I was never trying to be flippant over such horrific events.

Obviously if you do see someone acting suspiciously, don't approach him

The trouble is that most cachers look suspicious at the best of times!

Personally I'd take a caching sabbatical if I lived in the area, or at least cache out of the area until this person is apprehended.

Jon

The trouble is that most cachers look suspicious at the best of times!

The GPSr, rucksack and PDA (or wad of printouts) and the fact that they are scratching around a cache area usually gives the game away!

Personally I'd take a caching sabbatical if I lived in the area, or at least cache out of the area until this person is apprehended.

It's up to you, of course, although if the person isn't apprehended how long do you give it before venturing out of doors again? And how far out of the area is safe?

But I think that the priority is to catch him, and anything sensible you can do to help (such as keeping your eyes open as you wander) might just lead to the prevention of another unfortunate incident.

.Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :P

Unfortunately I can only do 1 full time job at a time.

change of career perhaps? :(

Full time Cacher? :(

PS..I give the police 28 days to come up with the perpetrator of these vicious crimes.

Thats more time than any TV detective ever needs!

If they do I will willingly apologise in this thread.

PPS..I was never trying to be flippant over such horrific events.

As inept as ever.........

28 days to catch and will then apologise..........

That's more time than any TV detective ever needs.............

There's a lot that can be said in response to these comments. But then again, what would be the point?

Anyway, I wouldn't go disabling caches wholesale. Just use common sense. Don't go strolling through cordons (yes it is amazing how many ppl do this - some through stupidity and others for their own reasons). Only caching in daytime atm would be another obvious one. There is a possibility however, that resources would be drawn away to check on any suspicious behaviour.

(PS - flippant means 'showing inappropriate levity')

..Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever! :(

I hadn't been planning on posting on this thread however.....

I know the above comment was probably meant as a joke, but I do find it offensive. I am employed by Suffolk Police and am currently working on this operation. The amount of work that has been put in to this investigation so far is only to be commended.

I am aware of local caches and will feed any information regarding these to my managers as it becomes relivant. At this time I can't see any reason not to go caching in Ipswich (this is a personal opinion and not nessessarily that of the Police), but please take care and if you do see anything suspicious do not approach, but contact the police immediately.

It is good to see some constructive comments on this thread - the Police (and the victims families) need the support of the public at the moment.

..Especially as the local plods appear to be as inept as ever!
I hadn't been planning on posting on this thread however.....

I know the above comment was probably meant as a joke, but I do find it offensive. I am employed by Suffolk Police and am currently working on this operation. The amount of work that has been put in to this investigation so far is only to be commended. It is good to see some constructive comments on this thread - the Police (and the victims families) need the support of the public at the moment.[/quote]

I think your reply is excellent and measured. Well said.

I'm sure dear CurryK meant no offence, and I am sure that he would be the first to join in and deeply regret the tragic curtailing of such young and tragic lives.

On the whole, the geo-community is barmy but lovely bunch - there is far more that brings us together than cause us to divide. :(:(:D

I'm actually working in the area tommorrow so normally I would have PQ'd the local caches and done a few, but I haven't bothered!!

With the ongoing police activity around the area, I will go and sit in Tesco's at Copdock for a few cups of coffee and wait for "final" advice!!

The job is at a remote mobile phone site in the very area, but if the police say "NO ENTRY" I'll turn my van around and head back home.

Nobody would actually try and cache in this area would they????????? :(

Regards

Nick

I am glad to read Mouse's posting (above). The one thing that concerned me was if the police found a cache and didn't know what it was then they might waste valuable resource on investigating, it in case it was relavent. With somebody on the 'inside' any mysterious tupperware boxes found as part of the search can hopefully be rapidly discounted. I wonder if they would remove them to the evidence lab though?

My sister always says she would never buy a dog, as so many murder victims seem to be found by a 'man out walking his dog'. I guess it's only a matter of time before some cachers makes an unpleasant discovery.

I am glad to read Mouse's posting (above). The one thing that concerned me was if the police found a cache and didn't know what it was then they might waste valuable resource on investigating, it in case it was relavent. With somebody on the 'inside' any mysterious tupperware boxes found as part of the search can hopefully be rapidly discounted. I wonder if they would remove them to the evidence lab though?

This though struck me which is why I'll be keeping an eye on things and I will certainly be explaining geocaching to the investigation team if it ever becomes relivant.

Unfortunately the nature of police work means that if a cache was located near a crime scene, it would almost certainly still be seized and investigated. This is so that any visitors to that location could be eliminated from the investigation or questioned to see if they had seen anything unusual.

Also, as has already been mentioned, as a community we often have our eyes and ears open in some strange places and the police would want to take advantage of that.

Anyway.... after a good nights sleep I've calmed down now and my little rant is over. :( I love you all really!! :wub:

sounds hard and cold but you can't let bad things happening to other people ruin the festive period otherwise you'd never be able to celebrate it.

at least they can find some comfort that no one else has to worry about their safety from this twisted individual. lets just hope that the courts do the sensible thing for once....