Caching Etiquette

troyeryan

:tired: Recently, while caching at a busy park, another cache hunter arrived right after I had gotten back in my car. As I sat writing down information about my find, I glanced up and watched him checking every nook and cranny around the site. Soon he began to move away from the correct spot and appeared frustrated. I am new to this. Do other people normally just want to be left alone? Part of what I have enjoyed so far is to get away from my hectic life, enjoying some quiet time doing my new favorite hobby. I don't want to seem like a pest by interrupting someone else's solitude; introducing myself and offering tips that may not be welcome. What's your opinion? Do you enjoy meeting others when you are actually 'in the hunt'? Thanks.

Sure, its fun to met others while out geocaching. Sometimes its one person is going to find, as the other is leaving. sometimes we are searching for the same thing and teamup. With one cache I spent about an hour looking for it with another cacher and his kids, but we never found it. Another time we decided to joinup for a day of joint caching. Had a lot of fun.

I wear a geocaching hat, which helps.

I enjoy running into other cachers, but I absolutely don't want them giving me clues about the cache, if they've already found it.

Whats harder to find than a cache is another geocacher....right i mean we ALL are so stealthy out there whao really knows if that was a non person or another geocacher wait i think i see a wrist strap hanging out of his coat...ah ahaaaaaaaa and that unmistakable noise of your close to ground zero alarm....

I always enjoy meeting fellow sportsman in this sport.............

I never even considered this. When I come upon another cacher and it's obvious that that's what they're doing, I walk right up and introduce myself (and start to help). I'm usually caching alone, so I love the company. I never even considered that other cachers might just want to be left alone.

There's nothing more fun than coming in with the sun at your back and busting a fellow cacher. :)

I've done this more than I can remember but for some reason it's only happened to me a time or two ( I think I get a later start than most)

It's always a lot of fun to meet new people on the trail.

Absolutely the best times caching have been when I have bumped into cachers while out caching or having been interrupted while signing the logbook. Some of my most cherished friends now have been these same cachers. Who knows, maybe that special person in your life could be this very same person.

I never even considered this. When I come upon another cacher and it's obvious that that's what they're doing, I walk right up and introduce myself (and start to help). I'm usually caching alone, so I love the company. I never even considered that other cachers might just want to be left alone.

Unfortunately, I have been given reason to consider it. I have met some very unsocial individuals in the woods while doing other activities. I used to be an avid flyfisherman years ago. Once I received a 10 minute tongue-lashing by another fisherman who said (among other things) that I had 'cast a shadow' on the river that ruined his entire day. I merely wanted to introduce myself and exchange some knowledge about our shared passion. Since then, I am very cautious about bothering others. I am glad to be finding out that most geocachers are far more friendly.

I've been approached a couple of times while looking for a cache. Being relatively new, I rarely find caches immediately. If another cacher approaches, I just walk away for a few minutes and take a break. Most times if they find it before me, they'll give me a small hint.

For example, I walked to the start of a trail and waited for the other cacher to come back. She let me know it was there and we compared GPS readings. Another time I was a lunch break and welcomed the hint "it is within 6 ft of where you are." It kept me from excessive hunting and second-guessing.

I like the Travel Bug idea. I think I'm going to keep one of my TB dog tags just for that. The "I caught him" bug. :huh:

I have never seen a cache get spooked by a shadow! : )

Thanks for sharing! I have meet three fellow cashers so far. One was a family/team that helped me find my first micro. The second introduced himself as the local area GeoClub VP (I subsequently joined the club). The third drove me home after we discovered my car battery had died! : ) Nothing but good experience here! Cheers,

I was in a similar position this weekend. I was hunting for a cache along a wooded trail in a park and saw a couple coming down the path. It looked like the woman was holding a GPSr. As they got closer, I didn't know whether to say something to them or not. We said hi to each other but they passed me by without mentioning caching so I didn't say anything either. They did make a remark about how cute my dog is. B)

I felt awkward...not knowing if I SHOULD say something or give them their privacy. I feel sure that's what they were doing.

Later, in telling a friend about the situation, they told me that what I should have done was...when they remarked about my dog, I should have said "Thanks...he cost me a lot of CAAASH!"...and see if that got any response. :ph34r:

I'm pretty new but already met fellow-geocachers on one of my finds. I watched them for a minute and considering that the terrian was fairly bushy and muddy offered to give them a hint. They said yes, so I did and everyone went home happy. I don't think anyone would have a problem with you introducing yourself and offering to help, but always ask first. If they say no thanks, walk away and let them do it themselves.

I'd walk up quietly behind him and yell "Police! Freeze!"

You enjoy witnessing peoples bladder control, don't you? :ph34r:

We were replacing a found cache once and we saw some people moving about in the woods. At first I got very uptight, and left quickly. In the car, it occured to me only cachers would have been there.

It was somewhat confirmed when I logged it and there was another log same day.

PP

Edit sp

Edited by pigpen4x4

:laughing: Recently, while caching at a busy park, another cache hunter arrived right after I had gotten back in my car. As I sat writing down information about my find, I glanced up and watched him checking every nook and cranny around the site. Soon he began to move away from the correct spot and appeared frustrated. I am new to this. Do other people normally just want to be left alone? Part of what I have enjoyed so far is to get away from my hectic life, enjoying some quiet time doing my new favorite hobby. I don't want to seem like a pest by interrupting someone else's solitude; introducing myself and offering tips that may not be welcome. What's your opinion? Do you enjoy meeting others when you are actually 'in the hunt'? Thanks.

Troy,

If it was me and there was another cacher there who saw that I was actively hunting for a cache and then moving off into the wrong direction I wouldn't mind if that other cacher told me that I was in the right area before I moved off. And if it is/was a particularly difficult cache I would probably ask them for a hint or two to help narrow down the area to look in. But that's just me, someone else may want to be left alone, but even in that case I don't see where the harm would be in asking if they wanted a little help.

Digital_Cowboy

Unfortunately, I have been given reason to consider it. I have met some very unsocial individuals in the woods while doing other activities. I used to be an avid flyfisherman years ago. Once I received a 10 minute tongue-lashing by another fisherman who said (among other things) that I had 'cast a shadow' on the river that ruined his entire day. I merely wanted to introduce myself and exchange some knowledge about our shared passion. Since then, I am very cautious about bothering others. I am glad to be finding out that most geocachers are far more friendly.

Troy,

Gee ya cast a shadow and you'd "ruined" his whole day of fishing??? Sounds like he needs to both take a "chill pill", and "get a life." As I think that he overreacted to the situation.

Digital_Cowboy

. Once I received a 10 minute tongue-lashing by another fisherman who said (among other things) that I had 'cast a shadow' on the river that ruined his entire day. I merely wanted to introduce myself and exchange some knowledge about our shared passion.

That's a shame, but there are people like that all over...you know....morons. Despite the occasional moron, most people are great I find. I wouldn't hesitate to introduce myself to someone who is obviously doing the same thing.

Edited by ianafraser

I am new to th whole 'Geocache thing', but would welcome and be grateful for assistance, especially if I was struggling. I wouldn't however want another geocacher to give to much away and spoil the hunt as it where.

I have so far found only 1 cache, have been bought a gps unit for Christmas, but I have to say I found it very enjoyable.

Lolynn

For the week or so I have been caching can honestly say that I have not met any fellow cachers yet. However, the other day going after a residential cache site I did have a SVU pull up close to my car and the couple inside just sat there and ate a lil somethin. Normally not odd but at a dead end street where all the houses had gated drive ways or back parking they were a lil out of place, so was I. I just popped back in the car drove off and came back a lil while later to log.

I agree with the above as to there being pissy people of all kinds all over. If you ever run up on a fellow cacher that is more of a loner and kind of rude do not think all are like that. From the posts I have read most sound very friendly. As for myself, I would always enjoy meeting a fellow cacher and even grouping up with some one for the day.

As for droping hints, I would let them ask before I supplied. Or if they had that stumped look about them ask if they wanted one. There have been a few out there that I would have cherished any assistance.

/cheers

Just be careful whe approaching would be fellow cachers. Always flash your GPS and see if you get a response. Never assume that they are caching. We ran into a situation where there was a car parked at a cache site and a couple of guys were conversing over the roof. We thought they might be cachers. We carefully approached only to find out that they were not cachers but had just purchased new pellet guns that they were about to test. Not cool. However, those that we have met have all been very nice and will ask for help if they need it.