When Should I close my cache

Links would help us see why, perhaps, the disparity.

Maybe one is a drive-up micro and the other a hike? Some like one or the other, few seem to enjoy both.

I have remote caches that don't get visited but once or twice a year, but they were placed knowing they wouldn't be.

I'd say as long as it's a viable cache that you enjoy and can maintain, leave it, somebody will hunt and enjoy it.

Ed

I would leave them open. I looked at the cache hides you have and they have only been active for just over a month.

There is many reasons for low cache usage. I have a woods cache that has been out for well over a year with only about 10 finds. A lot of cachers just don't do the walk to caches very much especially in the summer months. I usually do my hiking cache finds in the winter, fall, and spring before it gets to hot.

I would leave them open. I looked at the cache hides you have and they have only been active for just over a month.

There is many reasons for low cache usage. I have a woods cache that has been out for well over a year with only about 10 finds. A lot of cachers just don't do the walk to caches very much especially in the summer months. I usually do my hiking cache finds in the winter, fall, and spring before it gets to hot.

I am dissapointed in the State Island Cache because 5 million people over 11 million people (I checked) live with 30 miles or so of it and you could walk to it from a subway stop. And 90% of the park is in great shape. There are probably 20,000 people that could walk to it from there house.

Thanks for the advice!!

Edited by weathernowcast

in my experience, the quality of a cache is inversely proportional to the frequency that it is logged.

:shrug:

there are exceptions of course, but most of the great caches I've visited hadn't seen a visitor in over a month... probably because they take some effort to get to.

it's fun to see the logs, but heavy traffic has more to do with accessibility than quality. If you want a lot of logs, drop a film canister in a burgerking parking lot.

and go read your log book at the cache, at least around here there are a lot of people who don't log on the web, but do sign the book.

5 million people within 30 miles?!? B) Holy Shnikes!!!! Thats 10 times the entire population of my state of Wyoming, and its the 9th biggest in the US. The county that I live in is bigger than Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts combined, but we have an overall population of 37,000. Those are SCARY numbers!! :wub:

But back on topic, if I were you (and I know that I'm not), I would leave my caches where they were, sort of a 'if you hide it, they will come' attitude. You have great write ups for both of your hides, so just let 'em hang out, and lots of people will eventually find them. Patience is a virtue, Grasshopper...... :laughing: Have fun and Happy Caching!!!-- Gary and the kiddos of Team5150

We have this cache that has only been visited once in 2 months. It's got weird hours, math, waypoint projection, etc... not particularly hard, but takes more than 10 or 15 minutes. Most people around here like them a bit faster, I think. In any case, I wouldn't archive it just because it doesn't get visited too often. I think that makes it special :laughing:

Here is another cache that is carbon copy of the Cache Heads cache. This one my sister hid, and it is a difficult hide...and it has only got 2 real people who has logged it since it's publish date of July 30. From talking to my sister on the phone, she has every intention of keeping her cache alive...she is not an avid cache hider, but the one she does own is a really good one.

Leave them be - I have a new cache that is just 5 miles down a rural road and short walk - all that just off a major interstate - no finds in 3 weeks. My first cache ever sat there for 7 weeks before it was found. I have another that was found hours after being published and has averaged 10 finds per month for over 3 years.

Nothing wrong with either.

Edited by StarBrand

Even if everyone, including myself, would suggest leaving the cache open and not closing it just because it hasn't been found in a long time. Ultimately....you are the owner of the cache, and you can decide when to close it down.

The guidelines strongly suggest the cache remain open for at least 3 months...so since your caches have only been active for a little over a month, I would wait for another 8 weeks or so to archive if that is what you want to do.

I am dissapointed in the State Island Cache because 5 million people live with 30 miles or so of it and you could walk to it from a subway stop. And 90% of the park is in great shape. There are probably 20,000 people that could walk to it from there house.

Thanks for the advice!!

Remember though, that there are also probably close to a thousand caches in that same area, so any one cache won't get hit often.

I just checked.... there are 2,438 caches (of all types) within a 50 mile radius of your cache. Now that it has been found, the lure of the FTF is gone....

have patience.... more people will come....

It looks like a good cache! In some areas, that is a rarity, and people are looking for the quickies, no matter what the weather. A lot of people want to get as MANY as possible, and ones that may take a bit of time, or the quality ones, go by the wayside.

Malia

Please don't deprive cahcers of the possibility of a "dust off", i.e finding a cache after it has remained unvisited for a year. These can be a great challenge, partucularly if the nature has done a good camo job on the hiding place.

I tend to actively seek out caches that haven't been visited in a long time. Something about being somewhere that you know nobody (or at least another cacher) has been for a year+ holds a certain intrigue for me.

I also have several caches that don't get visited that often, but people do tend to enjoy them when they are found, and they get more than the "TNLNSL" logs when they are found.

BTW, its not considered proper geo-etiquette to log finds on your own caches.

Boo! Couldn't you send a private note?

and.. close it whenever you want - it's your cache. But remember, folks are constantly joining this sport, so leaving it out there will help them along the way. unless its lame :laughing:

Edited by Jhwk

Hmm... "Ravine" was published by POFE, a much more attractive reviewer than New York Admin (who published "Siedenburg Park").

Otherwise, it's only been 5 weeks. Many caches get muggled by now. Just sit back and enjoy. Go find a cache or two, folks will go find it.

How would the reviewer make a difference?

Well, it doesn't. It was supposed to be funny. The next line was the serious response.

Hmm... "Ravine" was published by POFE, a much more attractive reviewer than New York Admin (who published "Siedenburg Park").

Otherwise, it's only been 5 weeks. Many caches get muggled by now. Just sit back and enjoy. Go find a cache or two, folks will go find it.

Well, it doesn't. It was supposed to be funny. The next line was the serious response.

Sorry--haven't had my caffeine yet.

Sorry--haven't had my caffeine yet.

I thought he was giving a referal.

My rules of thumb.

When all the locals have found the cache, I'll consider archiving it.

If I find that I just don't like the cache I'll archive it.

If it's seldom found...I don't think there is any reason to archive it.

If the cache just isn't working as intended I'll archive it. Sometimes the cache experience I intended isn't what's happening.

If the area is showing signs of wear and tear beyond what I'd like to see (and I don't mind a social trail) I'll archive it.

If the cache has been found by the locals, but is still being found by travelers, I'll keep it around.

If the cache serves a higher purpose like a TB hotel that's working I'll keep it around.

You should have looked at his profile pic before making light of his query. Can't you see how serious a person he is? :P

Leave it out there, they will come and find it. Be patient. :P

You should have looked at his profile pic before making light of his query. Can't you see how serious a person he is? :P

LOL--you made my day

:P

<snip>

(light hearted response)

I did look at his stats and saw his average 2.8 finds per week. That doesn't look too serious to me.

(serious response)

I checked the caches near each one. Looks like Ravine is in a busy area, the surrounding caches are being visited every few days. Meanwhile, the caches around Siedenburg Park haven't hardely been visited in 10 days. I used a 2 mile circle.

edit: tag repair

Edited by Moose Mob

<snip>

(light hearted response)

I did look at his stats and saw his average 2.8 finds per week. That doesn't look too serious to me.

(serious response)

I checked the caches near each one. Looks like Ravine is in a busy area, the surrounding caches are being visited every few days. Meanwhile, the caches around Siedenburg Park haven't hardely been visited in 10 days. I used a 2 mile circle.

that's because I only go after the cache's that take 48 hours to find and that have only been logged once in the last 45 days. :P

Edit: tag repair :P

Edited by Moose Mob

I have two caches. The first one everyone seems to like and has been visited about 20 times in the last month. The other has been visited 1 time. Anybody have any suggestions on when it's time to close a cache based on underusage or over usage for that matter?

I'm jealous! Twenty visits in a month! I don't think any of my caches get twenty visits in a year!

Staten Island is probably a special situation. The population is fairly small, and it costs money in tolls to get there! I've only taken one trip to Staten Island, and that was mostlly to benchmark along Richmond Terrace, though we did find a couple of caches.

North Jersey, on the other fin, has millions of people, and it's easier to wander about New Jersey than to take the bridges to SI.

Myself, I've only archived one cache so far. It got muggled twice, and the park closed for construction.

Please don't archive your cache, just because it isn't getting a bunch of finds.

Please don't deprive cahcers of the possibility of a "dust off", i.e finding a cache after it has remained unvisited for a year. These can be a great challenge, partucularly if the nature has done a good camo job on the hiding place.

I tend to actively seek out caches that haven't been visited in a long time. Something about being somewhere that you know nobody (or at least another cacher) has been for a year+ holds a certain intrigue for me.

I also have several caches that don't get visited that often, but people do tend to enjoy them when they are found, and they get more than the "TNLNSL" logs when they are found.

One of the most memorable caching experiences I ever had was finding a bunch of "dust offs."

I was second to find on this cache, after 1 year and three months.

the Dragonfly Scroll has had 13 finds in 4 1/2 years, yet it is a legendary experience for those who actual find it.

I have one cache with only two finds in a year, yet I'm not worried. Be patient, cachers will come.

I have two caches. The first one everyone seems to like and has been visited about 20 times in the last month. The other has been visited 1 time. Anybody have any suggestions on when it's time to close a cache based on underusage or over usage for that matter?

Do not close (archive) the cache!!!

If found GCJHQ9 this year in April before that it was found in July 2005! I think it is pretty cool if you can find one which requires more effort to go to (rent a canoe) then some of the urban parking-lot-magnetic-keyholder caches. And more effort means that the cache is not so often visited since people are lazy and some just go for the stats instead of an outdoors experience...

You can put a geocoin or a TB in your cache as it was suggested before. That definitely make the cache more interessting and the symbols are an eye catcher on the listing.

My only cache GCX21M has only been found 10 times in 3 months, but people seem to like it!

Take care

GermanSailor