Filtering Out Finders

How would you do it, and why would you want to? Sounds like someone want to start an argument.

No, no, not at all...just wondering if there are any caches out there, that have a bit of an extreme 'finders requirement' on them (not talking about 'members only' caches)....

I'd prefer to judge "extreme" on the basis of what I can find, do, or figure out. It just doesn't seem cool to restrict a cache based on GPSr brand, race, religion, gender, height, political party, eye color, place of residence, favorite food, or any other criteria based on who you are, your attributes, what group you belong to, or what kind of life you have when you're not geocaching (specialized equipment/skills needed for high D/T caches excepted, of course).

There are caches that are only for those that have over 1000 finds, some that require you to log with a poem, some that require all kinds of things. So why not?

It's your cache, you can be as specific as you want. But is your goal to add fun to the game, or to hack people off?

Do you have a way to verify someone's brand of GPSr, or their race, or whatever?

I'd prefer to judge "extreme" on the basis of what I can find, do, or figure out. It just doesn't seem cool to restrict a cache based on GPSr brand, race, religion, gender, height, political party, eye color, place of residence, favorite food, or any other criteria based on who you are, your attributes, what group you belong to, or what kind of life you have when you're not geocaching (specialized equipment/skills needed for high D/T caches excepted, of course).

I've actually done a cache at which I was too short to grab it.(I'm 5'4") I had to return with a taller person to get it down for me.

I've actually done a cache at which I was too short to grab it.(I'm 5'4") I had to return with a taller person to get it down for me.

you could have just signed the tree. :lol:

They first forbade the communists from seeking the cache, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist. Then they forbade the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they forbade the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they forbade the Catholics, but I didn't speak up because I was a protestant. Then they forbade me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Due to an injury I have problem with anything over a three in the terrain catagory, so should these be banned because I can not look for them? What about all true 5/5's they require special equipment, This one requires you find caches in all 50 states before you can look for it. There are some out there with requirements buying a magelion ( If you wanted to find the cache ) would be a heck of a lot cheaper than going to all 50 states. Some of the existing virtuals require require a picture to be posted for a find, what if you do not have a digital camera? There are some hidden under water, what if you can't swim? I don't know how you would verify the requirments for this type of cache, but if we can limit finds on other caches why not something like this. If you want to flame the op for this questin we need to get rid of alot of existing caches with log requirments, or ban future ones and granfather the old ones. Maybee we could start a new site for caches that require special equipment or abalities. Wait that wouldn't work you need to be able to walk to get to most caches with a terrain of over 1.5 and I know at least one cacher in a wheel chair. My point is they set up the site so that some caches require special equipment if that happens to be a certain type of GPS why not. I think that the op's question is valid, does a cache exist that has that type of requirment?

We think it's a great idea! In fact, we're getting ready to place a cache right now where in order to log the cache, you have to be a female and you can't have ever placed a cache of your own in Arizona. If we check your profile and find out that you are female and/or have placed a cache in Arizona, we get to delete your log.

(Oh no, gotta run, it's the ACLU guys pulling into the driveway!)

We think it's a great idea! In fact, we're getting ready to place a cache right now where in order to log the cache, you have to be a female and you can't have ever placed a cache of your own in Arizona. If we check your profile and find out that you are female and/or have placed a cache in Arizona, we get to delete your log.

May want to reread your post, have to be a female to log, but if your a female you'll delete the log.

May want to reread your post, have to be a female to log, but if your a female you'll delete the log.

Ohh noo...not enough coffee yet!

But maybe, just maybe, that's the fun aspect of it? :lol:

Edited to add: Logging requirements that involve specialized skills or equipment (boats, rock climbing skills, etc.) are fine. If you really want that cache, you will find a way to get it, even if it means renting a boat or bribing someone to retrieve it for you so you can sign the logbook (FYI: the bribe remark is a joke). Logging requirements based on your find count, taking a photo of yourself reflected in the wall of the building at the cache site, and the like, can be fun or silly, but are also fine, because if you want to log it, you can through presistence or creativity find a way to do so. Logging requirements based on race, gender, and all those those other fine things that make you a unique individual are NOT fine. That's called discrimination and there are laws against it because it is wrong. Enough said!

Edited by whistler & co.

Ohh noo...not enough coffee yet!

But maybe, just maybe, that's the fun aspect of it? :lol:

Edited to add: Logging requirements that involve specialized skills or equipment (boats, rock climbing skills, etc.) are fine. If you really want that cache, you will find a way to get it, even if it means renting a boat or bribing someone to retrieve it for you so you can sign the logbook (FYI: the bribe remark is a joke). Logging requirements based on your find count, taking a photo of yourself reflected in the wall of the building at the cache site, and the like, can be fun or silly, but are also fine, because if you want to log it, you can through presistence or creativity find a way to do so. Logging requirements based on race, gender, and all those those other fine things that make you a unique individual are NOT fine. That's called discrimination and there are laws against it because it is wrong. Enough said!

Not quite enough said, sorry. Aything with a terrain above a 1.5 would be discriminating against the handicapped, and that is a violation of the law. Underwater caches descriminate aginst non swimmers, caches up high in a tree leave out nonclimbers, what about those hidden in tight spots and people with closterphobia, I think you get the idea. Heck the whole geocaching thing is rather biased against the vissualy impaired. What about people who do not have computers, do we have lists of caches we can mail to them if they want? I'm not agreeing with the idea of a white/blacks/purples only cache, but if there are caches out there that have specific requirments to log them than there is the possability that such a cahe may exist. I believe that is what the OP is asking. Heck Jeremy gave permission for an female only event, and that would be gender discrimination. ( I think it was great that he allowed that to happen even though it didn't) We are ( for lack of a better term) an organinization, and could get away with certain things. There are several gyms, and organizations out here that are just for women, and I couldn't join, that are perfectly legal. I could never even concieve that a cache with gender or racial requirments would ever get published, but the way it is set up they possibly could. I could see a Garmin loyalist stateing that you have to have you picture taken with a Garmin to log your find, maybee in front of there HQ. I could go on but I think most people get the point I'm trying to make.

Although the event itself never quite happened, this women-only event generated considerable discussion last year.

Im pretty sure there was a published gals only event somewhere once, and it got crashed by some geomen in drag. :wub: Pictures were taken and posted here, but I don't have the time nor inclination to search for it.

In a sense many caches are exclusionary. I don't like micros (these caches are only for cachers who like micros), I don't like puzzles (these are only for people who can solve them) , I don't like multis, I don't like park n grabs.... Why is your cache going to be any different?

Could someone create a cache that required an online found it log? :wub:

And would someone please pass humanloofa some decaf, or at least point him to the return key? :lol:

Could a cache be placed that requires its finders to be owners of Magellan GPS units? Or Garmin?

Or, even more extreme, to be of a certain ethnicity or race?

Are there any already in place? :lol:

"Finders" or "loggers?"

Well, obviously only applies to "loggers", more specifically "online loggers". Unless of course, there is a guard posted at the cache to prevent "undesirables" from finding it and signing the log (assuming the "unusual" logging requirement doessn't refer to a physical limitation). - which would, BTW, make for fewer muggle concerns.

Any "unusual" logging requirement is a matter of the honour system, ultimately.

Although the event itself never quite happened, this women-only event generated considerable discussion last year.

Im pretty sure there was a published gals only event somewhere once, and it got crashed by some geomen in drag. :wub: Pictures were taken and posted here, but I don't have the time nor inclination to search for it.

In a sense many caches are exclusionary. I don't like micros (these caches are only for cachers who like micros), I don't like puzzles (these are only for people who can solve them) , I don't like multis, I don't like park n grabs.... Why is your cache going to be any different?

Could someone create a cache that required an online found it log? :wub:

And would someone please pass humanloofa some decaf, or at least point him to the return key? :lol:

Don't drink coffe, and my keyboard has no return key sorry. the original question was, Could a cache be placed that requires its finders to be owners of Magellan GPS units? Or Garmin?Or, even more extreme, to be of a certain ethnicity or race? Are there any already in place? It was a legit question in my mind, because the way it is set up they could exist.

Could a cache be placed that requires its finders to be owners of Magellan GPS units? Or Garmin?

Or, even more extreme, to be of a certain ethnicity or race?

I wrote code on one of my caches to filter out certain type of finders. The criteria for exclusion was;

- Male

- 30 to 50

- 20 + lbs overweight

- IT or engineer type

- Glasses

- Extensive use of PDA

- Whines about micros

- Watches Star Trek or Doctor Who

On another I set it so you needed one attribute or you couldn't claim it;

- Magellan owner

no one ever found either.

Edited by baloo&bd

I don't know if it still exists, but there was a Puzzle cache in the LA/Orange County area that required you to view the cache page with a Mac.

If you went to the page using a PC, you couldn't see the coordinates -- and you were greeted with a Mac logo . . . IIRC.

Too slow . . . tozainamboku beat me to it while I was composing my reply. :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

Hint: Remember that there's more governing the caches published on this site than just the listing guidelines. There are also the site's Terms of Use. So don't be surprised if a cache that requires you to bring along a canine companion gets published, but a cache restricted only to heterosexual white males gets archived.

Could a cache be placed that requires its finders to be owners of Magellan GPS units?
I own a Magellan GPSr. It doesn't work any more, and I've never used it for geocaching, but does that count? :laughing:

IIRC, there was a cache with logging requirements that restricted it to fathers. Others were welcome to post Notes, but not Found It logs. The outcry was predictable: it discriminates against women, it discriminates against men with no kids, and all that.

But as someone else asked, why are you specifying the additional logging requirements? If it's something that people will have fun doing, then that's one thing. If it's just to annoy people while showing how clever you were to think up the logging requirement, then that's another.

I once considered placing a cache in a Men's bathroom in the office building I worked in. I was going to call it For Men Only. Then I learned that GPSrs don't usually work well indoors and I decided that I was really only considering it for the funny value. If, however, a woman had decided to find and log the cache I would have allowed it. (Isn't it nice of me to allow a find for a cache I never placed? :laughing: )