[pre-order] Route 208 Coin

Bernd B

Now you can get a new personal coin for a cache route in the north of Germany:

Route 208 Coin

route208.jpg

About this coin:

The route from Hamburg to Mecklenburg follows the avenues of the “Bundesstrasse 208”.

The federal highway with its caches is a route for geocacher and travelers.

I hope it will be a memory for those who were already there and a guide for others who still want to see the route.

It is planned to ship these geocoins in August 2006.

Specifications:

Size: 30 x 50 mm (3mm thick)

Color: soft cloisonné (smooth surface)

Finishes:

• Polished Gun (Black Nickel) (RE) 350 pieces
    Mat Chrome (LE) 100 pieces
    Mat Gun (Black Nickel) (SE) 50 pieces

Trackable: at www.geocaching.com

Icon: an own icon Berndscoinicon32.png

Costs: Payment will be arranged via PayPal

Coins:

• Polished Gun (Black Nickel) (RE) USD 8.50 each coin
    Mat Chrome (LE) USD 9.00 each coin
    Mat Gun (Black Nickel) (SE) USD 9.00 each coin

You can order the Route 208 Coin on www.my-geocoin.com

Edited by Bernd B

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone please tell what "Size: 30 x 50 mm" converts to in inches".

Also please forgive me for my ignorance but doesn't 3mm seem rather thin? Is this the same thickness as the Pschyo Chicken? I love the work of these European Mints but there is not much to desire for the weight of the coin.

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone please tell what "Size: 30 x 50 mm" converts to in inches".

Also please forgive me for my ignorance but doesn't 3mm seem rather thin? Is this the same thickness as the Pschyo Chicken? I love the work of these European Mints but there is not much to desire for the weight of the coin.

30 x 50 mm will be about 1,2 x 2 inches

Isn't 3mm a standard thickness for coins with most producers?

Of all the coins in my collection, only about 10 % is thicker than 3 mm< I think.

Isn't 3mm a standard thickness for coins with most producers?

Of all the coins in my collection, only about 10 % is thicker than 3 mm< I think.

No a standard 1.5" coin is usually 3.5mm in thickness. When you get into 1.75" and 2" coins it usually is standard 4mm in thickness. That is usually built into the price of the coin at those dimensions. Most mints will do them thicker at a cost above and beyond what the standard is for that specific size.

Example:

1.5" @ 3.5mm, a mint would charge you extra for a 4mm thick 1.5" diameter coin.

1.75" @ 4, a mint would charge extra for a 4.5mm thick 1.75" diameter coin.

If I am wrong, will someone please chime in. If my memory serves me right from the coins I have had minted I believe this info to be correct.

I might add the reason for the thicker coins is because it adds weight to the coin. I must add that the weight of the coin is also based on the "base" metal that is used as well. This was brought up when I minted the Utah coin. Again if my memory serves me correct any coin die struck uses a base metal of brass or bronze and any coin that is die casted usually use a differant base.

I only bring all this up because it appears as if the European mints are using a really light base metal, maybe aluminum B) ?? Again the designs are beautiful but I am sure others will agree the coins are light. For the price we are starting to see these coins should have some weight to them.

Edited by Damenace

I only bring all this up because it appears as if the European mints are using a really light base metal, maybe aluminum B) ?? Again the designs are beautiful but I am sure others will agree the coins are light. For the price we are starting to see these coins should have some weight to them.

Not all of them... Geocoins.nl and Cachezone use the regular channels and the regular base metal :laughing:

Yes, the dimensions are right.

The thickness of 3 mm is the same as a coin with a diameter of 1.5 inch.

It is the same as the Psychochicken Coin. I have one of this coin in my hand.

Bernd

Edited by Bernd B

I only bring all this up because it appears as if the European mints are using a really light base metal, maybe aluminum :unsure: ?? Again the designs are beautiful but I am sure others will agree the coins are light. For the price we are starting to see these coins should have some weight to them.

Not all of them... Geocoins.nl and Cachezone use the regular channels and the regular base metal :(

The majority of Geocoins available through CacheZone were made by coinsandpins. At Cache Zone we also re-sell the Stadtmeisterschaften geocoin which is made in Germany. It's a "regular" 1.75 inch geocoin, 3mm strong, made of brass.

Olaf

Looking to trade for 2 of these.

I have just been buying to many coin and need to shift to trading for them.

Since I have not been able to set up a trade for these coin, if any one is

interested in any of ours and has any extra in these please contact me.

For trade we have the following personal geocoins.

Team Sand Dollar V2 in Gold, Silver, or Bronze.

Buffalo Wings V1 in Gold, Silver, or Bronze.

Buffalo Wings V2 (Florida Trail) (Trackable with icon) in:

Bronze, Antique Silver, Black Nickel/White buffalo, and Copper/Black buffalo

Also in developement Team Sand Dollar V2 (numbered/NonTrackable)

Thanks

Team Sand Dollar

The design had to be changed after consultation of my minter with the manufacturing plant:

b208-china.jpg

Reasons:

- the text at the edge could not be provided because of the size as negative version

The Coin goes with this layout into sample production.

Greeting, Bernd B

We also think that coins have to have a certain weight to make them feel worthy when having it in your hand. Therefore, we (Geocoinshop.de) use the much heavy regular base metal for all our coins since April 2006.