Is It Me Or My Gps

cheffy

I'm just getting started and found a few caches. Lately i've been searching for three in the same area and the unit said I should have been right on top of them. I'm using a Megallan 200 and was getting a strong signal in the one area but the accuracy was still in the 20-30ft range. Other times it's got me bouncing all over the place.

Should I get a better unit or just look harder?

thanks

You have found a few - so the GPSr is working.

Look "smarter" - think "Where might be a good hiding spot around here?"

Tree cover, cloud cover, nearby radio transmitters etc. can affect accuracy.

The cache(s) might have gone missing... log your DNF and put a "watch" on the cache to get notified when someone else writes a log entry.

Lately i've been searching for three in the same area and the unit said I should have been right on top of them. I'm using a Megallan 200 and was getting a strong signal in the one area but the accuracy was still in the 20-30ft range. Other times it's got me bouncing all over the place.

Walk away from the place the GPSr says the cache is located, some 20 metres (50') should do it. Turn back and walk in the direction of the arrow on your GPSr. Repeat from a couple of approach angles. This usually helps when under tree cover, as the directional accuracy when moving is oftentimes better than the lateral accuracy when standing still.

You have an older unit, I would say accuracy would be within 20-30 feet. I ran a Magellen GPS-315 for a long time in the military, but when it came time to search for caches, it simply didnt do. Were talking about 8-10 year old technology.

Garmin or Magellen, both are very good units... some are better than others, thus you get varied opinions.

As you are new, you would be best to hook up with an experienced cacher as one other suggested.

I would suggest a newer GPS... an Etrex or Explorest 100 would be fine.

Good luck,

ElevenBravo

When I'm having trouble locating a cache in a wooded area, I'll often move off 60-70 feet and then spiral in. This seems to work better for me than the spiral out technique especially if I can't get a good lock on the birds. If I'm looking for a micro in an urban area, I'll often set the GPSr down and let it settle in as I'm off searching the area. Good luck and don't worry about the DNF's, log them all....you'll enjoy laughing at yourself later on....

:laughing: I've found that if I just follow the numbers and match up the coords I'm usually right on top of it.I've never downloaded a waypoint. Sometimes though the cache hiders coords are off due to not letting the gps "settle down" and get the right coords.Sometimes my gps is off because I don't wait for it to settle. Also don't overthink things.Its usually in the obvious spot. Welcome and hope I've helped.

I have the same problem. Seems like I'm always 30-60' away, and no matter what I do, I can't

seem to zero in on the stinking thing. All the ones I've found have been just dumb blind luck. I enjoy this, but sometimes I get so frustrated.

Take Saturday for example. The coordinates were perfect, accuracy range says 30 something feet. I take two steps and all of a sudden, I'm 200 feet away. My brother keeps telling me I'm in the ballpark, but darn it, I just can't seem to find the blasted ball. And they're getting frustrated by taking me.

So I ask for help on helping me find these critters. Seems like all I've been doing for the past 2 weekends are Micros.

I have the same problem. Seems like I'm always 30-60' away, and no matter what I do, I can't

seem to zero in on the stinking thing. All the ones I've found have been just dumb blind luck. I enjoy this, but sometimes I get so frustrated.

Take Saturday for example. The coordinates were perfect, accuracy range says 30 something feet. I take two steps and all of a sudden, I'm 200 feet away. My brother keeps telling me I'm in the ballpark, but darn it, I just can't seem to find the blasted ball. And they're getting frustrated by taking me.

So I ask for help on helping me find these critters. Seems like all I've been doing for the past 2 weekends are Micros.

1. Use the compass screen versus the map screen. Tells you where to go and how far left to go.

2. Rather than trying to get to the 0 point on your GPSr (basically standing on top of the cache) stop about 50 feet from the expected location. Then stop looking at your GPS and start looking at your location. Look for the obvious clues to the cache location. Piles of sticks, rocks, dead hollow tree, or stump in plain view. Don't forget to look at the size of the cache you are looking for. Nothing like thinking you are hunting a regular sized cache, when it is actually a micro-cache.

3. Start out with the easiest dificulty caches (D/T). So go for the 1/1 to 2/2 caches first.

4. Have fun and enjoy

You have an older unit, I would say accuracy would be within 20-30 feet. I ran a Magellen GPS-315 for a long time in the military, but when it came time to search for caches, it simply didnt do. Were talking about 8-10 year old technology.
I assume that the OP owns an Explorist 200. This is not an outdated unit. It should be fine for caching.

That being said, I used a GPS 3+ for years with great success. Heck, some people still cache with old Bazer 12s. You don't need the most current unit to play this game. As long as it can track 12 sats, it will work.

I'm just getting started and found a few caches. Lately i've been searching for three in the same area and the unit said I should have been right on top of them. I'm using a Megallan 200 and was getting a strong signal in the one area but the accuracy was still in the 20-30ft range. Other times it's got me bouncing all over the place.

Don't look harder, look smarter.

1. Follow the arrow to ground zero and then set the GPSr down. (Make sure to remember where you set it. Place it on your pack, if you brought one.)
  2. Start to look around the area. Think about places that you would hide the cache, keeping in mind the expected cache size.
  3. If you don't find the cache after a few minutes, go take a look at your GPSr. Ever since you arrived, its been working on the location solution. See if it still thinks that you are at ground zero. If not, use your compass to go to the new 'ground zero'.
  4. repeat from step 2.

I assume that the OP owns an Explorist 200. This is not an outdated unit. It should be fine for caching.

He did say Magellan 200, which is an old unit. Perhaps he meant the eXplorist 200, but its very possible he is using an old Magellan.

He did say Magellan 200, which is an old unit. Perhaps he meant the eXplorist 200, but its very possible he is using an old Magellan.

I suspect that you are right on target, BrianSnat!

Not being a Magellan user, I checked thier obsolete products webpage before I made my initial reply. I didn't see a Magellan 200, so I assumed that the OP had a Explorist 200.

I've been wrong a couple times in the past, however.

Edited by sbell111

So as a New bee tell me this. I had the unit set to UTM at first. I loaded the coordinates and went off searching. the gps said I was right on top of the prize. I actually found it about 500' away. When i reloaded the coordinates using lat/lon it took me right ot the cache. Is there that much difference between UTM and Lat/lon? I thought UTM was supposed to be more accurate. Or is it that the cache placer used lat/lon and I should also do the same.

BTW thanks for all the help!

Your GPSr should be set in the WGS84 datum and you should use the DD° MM.MMM coordinate format (Degrees Minutes DecimalMinutes).

I've got the same unit, use the settings as above, and it works great! Best unit for the money as far as I know. Accuracy is usually as good or better than others in our group with more expensive units. Sometimes takes a while to "settle down" in cover, but mostly it is just knowing how to play the game.

Search the events page on the geocaching website to see if there are any group meetings you can go to. You don't usually have to be a member of the local group, so you can even go to one a long ways from where you live if you are on vacation or something.

You can find lots of great info and hints on the geocaching website, too. I find that having an 8-year-old around can really help with the small ones that are under things! :rolleyes:

Is a 20 -30 ' accuracy range normal or should I expect better?

I have a new question that seems to fit this topic. Just bought a GPSmap 60csx and found a few caches but at some locations the coordinates I enter are changed when I click OK. It is usually the last digit of an entry. I have tried resetting any thing I found on the unit. Some entries do fine though?

I'm hoping that it is me and not my GPS unit. I appreciate any advice from you all. I have searched Garmin FAQS as well as Groundspeak but no info.

Thanks,

Ken

I have a new question that seems to fit this topic. Just bought a GPSmap 60csx and found a few caches but at some locations the coordinates I enter are changed when I click OK. It is usually the last digit of an entry. I have tried resetting any thing I found on the unit. Some entries do fine though?

The last digit only makes about 5 feet of difference, so should be no big deal.

I read someone having a similar problem on another thread but I forgot where at the moment.

The last digit only makes about 5 feet of difference, so should be no big deal.

I read someone having a similar problem on another thread but I forgot where at the moment.

Thank you for the info that we are talking about only 5 feet. My daughter and I went out this evening and found the one that the coordinates did not change but couldn't find the one called "Relax A While #2" which the digit did change when I entered the coordinates. If you hear anything else on this I would appreciate you passing it on.

Thanks from a 3 day set of newbies,

Ken

LOL! I'm new to this too. My cousin has been doing it for awhile and told me to log the DNF's. I do hope I laugh later because right now I'm just irritated. :drama:

When I'm having trouble locating a cache in a wooded area, I'll often move off 60-70 feet and then spiral in. This seems to work better for me than the spiral out technique especially if I can't get a good lock on the birds. If I'm looking for a micro in an urban area, I'll often set the GPSr down and let it settle in as I'm off searching the area. Good luck and don't worry about the DNF's, log them all....you'll enjoy laughing at yourself later on....

[WhiteCrow]:

"What did you find out?"

This post has been edited by whitecrow: Yesterday, 04:50 PM

--------------------

Get a GPSr & go see the world geocaching style.

Garmin 60Cx w/ CS7 & Palm 505

==========================

If you are talking to me, I've found out that the difference of a 1 digit change is about 5 feet. I am using WGS84.

Edited by Roman 8:28

Remember that although your accuracy is 20-30 feet, it also depends on the accuracy of the unit that belongs to the person who placed it. You may have a clear day, but if it was placed on a heavy cloud cover day, the other person's GPS could be way off.

In in a best case scenario, if his GPS is 20 ft off, and yours is 20 ft off, it could be anywhere within a 40-50ft circle.

At least that's my take. I'm a newbie myself, so others will correct me if I am wrong.

I ran a Magellen GPS-315 for a long time in the military, but when it came time to search for caches, it simply didnt do.

Fortunately those arty guys didn't need you to call in a grid for a micro. Indirect fire on a lamp-post skirt hide would be nice sometimes though. :D

Remember the SLGR? We thought the Rockwell PLGRs were high-tech after that!

I have a Magellan 315. I have found a few caches but never by following my GPS, when I find the cache my unit still tells me I am at the least 500ft away. After the first couple I thought that the cords were wrong but now after several instances of this I am thinking my GPS just dont work right.

thanks

When u get to the mark change ur screen to the number reading for the location, it will be different from the location for the cache that you marked on the GPS. This is where it comes in handy having a magnetic compass with you, and walk in one or another direction till the numbers match up. it might take awhile for the accuracy range to settle. In open areas I usually get in the 6 to 7 foot range (I have the explorist 400). Most of the time the cache is within a few feet (4 to 5) when I get the numbers to match up.

Most of the caches we (my wife and I) have found have been under heavy foliage.

If we can't find it right away, or the GPS is being twitchy, I'll walk back until I can find a clearing or until my GPSr is indicating a low accuracy error.

Then I just take a bearing and head in with the magnetic compass. A couple times I've just about stepped on the cache doing this.

If it's really tough to find, I'll do the same thing, but take a couple different readings.

One on 'this side' of the cache, and another on 'the other side'.

Then we'll each follow the bearing in from those points and if we don't find the cache at the point we interesect we put away the GPSr's and start trying to think like the cache owner.

Once we're within a dozen yards of the coords the GPSr doesn't seem to help that much.

When you're that close it's better to look around at the area (where the cache really is) instead of the little GPSr display (at the little icon of the cache).

Oh, an this is all assuming the coords are correct and the cache is not offset.

One we just found last week was about 100 feet off of the coords.

We finally found it when we stopped paying attention to what the GPSr 'said' and just scoured the area for likely cache hides.

In that instance, instead of walking a circle around the cache coords and spiraling in; we went to where the GPSr said the cache 'should' be and then put it away and started spiraling outwards.

Found it about 20 minutes later.

-K