Is Seeing A Geocoin Count As Finding A Geocoin?

Team Goz

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something ;) I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

As for us, we actually enjoy other cachers sharing their coin collection with us at events and we also share our collection with others. The Discovered log type is just for such a thing as in seeing the coins at a event so I guess there are plenty of others that think the same way we do too or there would be no need for a new log type huh?

BBB

6151 finds and 320 hides! ;)

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

As for us, we actually enjoy other cachers sharing their coin collection with us at events and we also share our collection with others. The Discovered log type is just for such a thing as in seeing the coins at a event so I guess there are plenty of others that think the same way we do too or there would be no need for a new log type huh?

BBB

Amen, BBB! - TP

BBB

If it was mine I would have no problem with someone just logging it that only gandered at it for a while.. I mean you log a find of the cache without taking it along and moving it right?

;) At all the events we've been to there are many coin collectors that share their collections of coins. There are some coins many of us may never have in our collection ie: Lackeys and Volunteer Geocoin, these are very special coins given to those who work hard as volunteers and reviewers.

First post and using the word bullcrap already, you'll fit in here!

To each their own - nobody is keeping score (well, ok - the score doesn't actually mean anything).

To make is seem more than just bullcrap, don't log some lame "Thanks" on the coin; Do the owner a favor and write something interesting about the occasion. That's the real score.

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something ;) I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

So another voice that says: "If you don't play the game the way I do, or collect coins the way I collect coins; or like the kind of coins I like, than something is wrong with you!"

I honestly don't get it. If someone does it or sees it differently, So what? Why do you care?

You don't like logging coins you only see at events then don't. You do, then do. Near as I can tell there are no prizes or payments for how many icons you have or don't have or coins you have found. Isn't this just kind of a personal thing.

I would hope that everyone would have log sheets with the numbers.....maybe they should be on brown paper!

We have log sheets and if we run out of those that we have people write their email address down and we send them the log sheet.....yep we love that bullcrap!

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Team Goz

97 Finds

If you are just looking at the coin and not going to move it log it under discovered it

personally we feel that logging a coin that you can see/touch is perfectly fine. Wether you take possession of it or not you saw it.

Now the whole virtual logging of coins(logging coins that you have never seen because someone emailed you the number or put it on the bug page for all to see) . We think that is kind of pointless. Kinda of compared to logging caches that you have never been too.

just our 2 cents

Different folks have different opinions on logging coins - as is evident from the posts above. Overall, there are about as many ways to play the game as people playing it. I prefer to log coins found in caches. Though there are a few coins I know I won't find in a cache and would consider logging them at an event. My son grabs each of my coins (well now he discovers them) before I set them loose on the world.

Mostly, geocaching is a fun passtime, and not a competative sport, so it doesn't matter what other people do as long as you are happy with what you are doing. (The last bit deosn't apply to those who steal travelling geocoins from caches.)

Edited by tokencollector

Welcome to caching and the boards.

Well, I'm one of those few that agrees with you (and gets a lot of flack for having that opinion I might add). I don't log a coin unless I find it in a cache and move it, or they are one of a few very special coins that are sitting in my display in front of me(never to move). I do not go around collecting numbers or grabbing sheets at events, it's not the way I want to play.

The discovered it log was added for just this purpose, not that the Groundspeak people were necessarily excited about this morph, but it became such an issue that it had to be done. Now at least coins can be logged without the mess of grab and drops over and over.

It is def. true that you should participate in the hobby however you want to and let others do the same. By the same token feel free to speak your mind, whatever you may feel, somebody I'm sure will feel the same, and if not, well, that's ok too.

Welcome to caching and the boards.

Well, I'm one of those few that agrees with you (and gets a lot of flack for having that opinion I might add). I don't log a coin unless I find it in a cache and move it, or they are one of a few very special coins that are sitting in my display in front of me(never to move). I do not go around collecting numbers or grabbing sheets at events, it's not the way I want to play.

The discovered it log was added for just this purpose, not that the Groundspeak people were necessarily excited about this morph, but it became such an issue that it had to be done. Now at least coins can be logged without the mess of grab and drops over and over.

It is def. true that you should participate in the hobby however you want to and let others do the same. By the same token feel free to speak your mind, whatever you may feel, somebody I'm sure will feel the same, and if not, well, that's ok too.

So . . . . I actually personally am not into just logging coins I see at events, but . . . The start of this post was not just someone saying, "I like to do it this way". It was saying "if you do it a way that is different than my way, there is something wrong with you." That is attacking that is not just expressing an opinion. It may not be contrary to the rules of the board, but is certianly contrary to the spirit.

The Great Thing about Geocaching is, there are no rules that say you have to follow one way or another. Everyone plays the game their own way. Of course, some people get bent out of shape if you dont play their way. If you like to log all coins you see, you should. If you dont and only want to log coins in caches, that is your choice.

Some people keep track of numbers, others dont. For example, I met a lady who focuses on puzzle caches. Others focus on just getting as many numbers as possible.

I respect the diversity in the group.

Good Luck and have fun, as that is what the game is about.

I don't know what you expected to learn. I would have thought you already knew if you threw a firecracker in the henhouse there would be some mayhem.

I did read your profile page and your hobbies show a list of fairly pointless activities that you enjoy. I don't think anyone would begrudge you that enjoyment.

Stay safe.

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something :D I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

You profile states this some what differently.

Profile for Team Goz

I Thought I would let everyone know that it is bullshi* that other cachers take credit for finding geocoins/travel bugs by simply looking at someones instead of actually finding it in a cache and moving it!

I am going to do it the same way I have since I started geocaching aaaaaaa when was that?

I see all these well not really new ideas or concerns or as you wrote it bullshi*

Is it not an Event Cache...we always have 1 or 2 or more.

So Really it is in a cache and the owner leaves it or moves it on.

If it is someone elses that has no objections then I am not sure what you are talking about.

As for people putting others down for their opinions,professions,connections,projects or anything not geocaching related this forum is really not the place to do that.

E-mail or PM them.

At this point I will leave it at that but future posts will be pointed out.

I know you know who I am talking about.

I have seen a strange change in some geocachers attitudes since geocoins have been launched.

If I could just put my finger on what it is exactly I would be rich.

I have tried to patiently watch and not say much but it seems like we are getting farther and farther away from the true meaning of geocaching.

A fun Family oriented hobby.

And thats my bullcarp.

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something :D I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

I agree with you 100%. You did NOT find the coin or move it from location to location. You LOOKED at it, possibly even held it. But you did not "find it" as is stated as the log type for the coin. I've always found this annoying. You want to bring your coins to an event for others to see, fine and dandy, but you did not "find" these coins, so you can't claim them as a find IMHO.

But that's me and others feel strongly the other way. Who's right? No one, it's your coin, if you want others to log it by seeing it at an event, so be it. Or not as the case may be.

Edit to add that I had not found a coin in some time, so I had forgotten about the "Discovered It" log (actually never seen it). So that is an option. But the way I play is still, if you don't have it in your hands when logging it, you don't have it. The ONLY exception is if I were to find a TB or coin on a cache run and drop it into another cache along the way. To look at it in a cache and write down the number and leave it there..Personally I think that is not how the game was meant to be played. But as stated before, to each their own, play how you want.

Edited by Haughton's Hunters

I like that there's the option to use "Discovered It" now. At the same time, if you need to use a GPS to find an event and then search all over the event for the person who actually has the coin before you log it, I guess I can understand why some people log it as found. I don't think I'd do it myself unless I was allowed to move it to a new location, but each to their own I guess. At the very least I hope they post an interesting log.

On a side note, I've recently heard of carrying a coin on hand to show other cachers you meet in the field. By giving them a look and letting them log the coin (found or discovered) you get a quick reference list of everyone you've ever met while caching. Not a bad idea I think. We've just activated a coin for carrying with us this summer to see how well it works. :laughing:

At events, I hide my coin binder under the potato chips and then write the coordinates on the announcement board as teh "Chip Cache".

Cachers then "find" the coins and move them over to my "Next to the soda" cache. -- repeat

This avoids all problems as each is a true "find".

At the end of the event I muggle my coin collection back.

But the way I play is still, if you don't have it in your hands when logging it, you don't have it.

The above statement sums up the real issue here. Forgive me for re-wording it below.

But the way I play is still, if I don't have it in my hands when logging it, I don't have it.

You play your way. I play mine. No need to be annoyed with me.

And yes, I realize this quote was taken a bit out of context.

At events, I hide my coin binder under the potato chips and then write the coordinates on the announcement board as teh "Chip Cache".

Cachers then "find" the coins and move them over to my "Next to the soda" cache. -- repeat

Whoa - you can actually get people to hunt for a cache without the possibility of a smiley? Remarkable. :laughing:

Whoa - you can actually get people to hunt for a cache without the possibility of a smiley? Remarkable. :laughing:

No they could always just log 10 extra smilies on the event to get the count right....:D:lol: :lol:

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something :lol: I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

If you have a stopwatch handy, you'll know for yourself how much time it takes to log all the Geocoins "discovered" at an event. It used to be much worse, when people felt they needed to grab then drop them back in the event cache. :laughing:

There's nothing wrong with the practice, IMHO, but I'm too lazy to log all the Geoocoins I ever saw - I usually limit them to those I felt were special or rare.

You play your way. I play mine. No need to be annoyed with me.

As I stated, this is how I play and interpret the rules. I do REALLY care? No, I just don't think it's the right way. However with the new "discovered it" log that is specifically for this purpose, it's not a big deal.

To log a "Find" (not discovered) log, IMHO you should have the object IN HAND..or at least have moved it already (say on a cache run). But to look in a cache at a TB, write down the number and then log it as a find and drop is not how they were intended to be logged/used.

Again, just my opinion, to each their own.

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something :sad: I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

The 'discovered it' is what the people that seen the travelers at events are supposed to use instead of logging it in and out the event. It's supposed to be less load for the server, since it uses only one log not two.

As for logging coins at events... well some people actually only log those they move, others just everything they can get the numbers for (printed sheets with numbers at events for example). It kinda screws up the numbers since 'found and moved' get mixed in with 'seen at event', but since we're not supposed to be competing with each other and the numbers don't matter it really isn't important.

This is my first post, so i guess i'll see how it goes. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that it bullcrap that other cachers log geocoins as finds by just looking at them at some event. Let me know what you think, I don't really look through these forums, and I'm a little new in this sport, so maybe this will start a discussion or I will learn something :sad: I recently noticed that you can log a coin/travel bug as discovered, does anyone know what this means?

Team Goz

97 Finds

If I touch it I log same with caches

I agree with those who don't "get" the discovered log type. I've never logged a coin/TB that I haven't moved along and never saw the desire to log one just because I saw it. It never bugged me before unless it was my TB that people were "grabbing and dropping" or my event where I got 200 emails of this type.

The new log type alleviates that issue, but I still don't get it.

So much ado about nothing.

Couldn't have said it better myself. To each their own... it just doesn't really make any difference in the grand scheme of things... does it? If some cachers like more icons and the site allows "discovering", then, so be it. If you want to "move a coin" to log it, that's great too. But, neither is "right" or "wrong"... it's just 2 different ways of looking at it.

Bottom line: The site allows it. I don't agree with it, but, my feelings really don't matter...