Charity Pricing Question & Art Preview

UOTrackers

Ok, for the last month I have been trying to put together everything I would need to produce a coin to raise money for The March of Dimes wich is near and dear to my family. I have asked as many questions as I could think of here and have really tried to figure all of this out. So now my question is pricing.

Here's what I propose for my coin. It will be a 1.75" coin 3D on one side 2d on the other with 4 colors (the design is being reworked to reflect The March of Dimes)The 3D side will be the UOTrackers personal coin, and will be continued in future coins with a different flip side. 10 coins will be minted in a two tone Gold and Nickel and will only be sold by auction (to raise the most possible money, I got this idea from another charity auction I saw) 140 will be minted in Antique Silver, I would like to sell this coin for $15.00 (+S&H, and paypal fees) with $10 of it going to the charity. 350 will be minted in Satin Silver and sold for $10.00 (+S&H, and paypal fees) with $5.00 of it going to The March of Dimes. The coin WILL be GC trackable WITH it's own icon (still to be decided/possibly voted on).

I guess my question is would anyone be interested/willing to pay these prices? OR can you offer any suggestions on making this more attractive? I am trying to be up front about every possible thing I can think of sicne I have seen a lot of posts lately about people being up front with their intentions. I am trying to do this the right way. I just found out it was ok to mention which Charity, so as you've probably seen its the March of Dimes. I found out about it when I lost identicle twin daughters to prematurity in 2004. I have since volunteered for them several time, raising money in selveral ways. Since I started geocaching and learned about geocoins I thought it would be a neat way to combine the two, especially sine I now have a 3 month old daughter, who was also born prematurily but survived! And she caches right along with us!

Ok well I think that's about it. Oh this is NOT a preorder/reservation thread when the design is complete and I am sure I can make this happen I wil then post a reservation thread. I am just guaging interest with my intent to make this coin. Thank you for any and all information you can reply with. I really do appreciate it!

Edited by UOTrackers

Is there going to be enough of a difference to tell the antique and the satin apart??

I would probably pass on the $15, but would like some of the $10 since it is going to charity I would pay that prices (I don't tend to for other coins though) I would suggest limiting quantities per person though at such a limited quantity.

I don't know how others would accept it, but I would think you could say a minimum of 350 of the 'standard' but maybe say depending on initial demand you would make up to 850? (1000 total coins - it may give a price break and let you contribute even more to the charity)

I'm not a large fan of several metals for the same design. I do like the 10 special coins to auction though.

I may be wrong, but I think you can post the charity info in here now.

We are in the process of selling a charity coin right now. Granted, it is for a family that lost a dad, and not an organized charity, but the cause is still a good one.

We decided to price the coins at $10.00 each, including shipping and handling. (Some overseas customers have volunteered to pay us an additional $2.00 to help offset the extra postage, but we did not require it.)

We are making 1000 coins, and after 2 weeks, we are almost at 500 sold. (We have two local events coming up, and since he was a local cacher, we are expecting sales to pick up then.)

Hopefully that info will help you make your decision. (I'm not advising either way, I am just sharing our experience.)

It's all great info to start. I wasn't sure about the 2 different metals, I just notice a lot of people do the 2 different metals. The 2 tone coin that would be auctioned I'd love to do like the one I saw before where they are numbered 1-10 and depending on the winning bid price thats which coin you won, ex $100 got #10, $1000 got #1. I would just be afraid that the bids would all be under $100.

Edit: I just did some math (this is based on a price sheet not a quote)

@ 500 minted and with the satin silver being changed to Antique brass

The Antique Silver would be $4.89 and the Antique Bronze would be $4.65 to mint

@1000 coins minted

The Antique Silver would be $4.20 and the Antique Bronze would be $3.96

I estimated shipping and handeling (envelope & potage) to be $1.50 for 1 coin.

And Someone told me paypal was .35 +3% per transaction so .80 for the $15 Antique Silver sale and .65 for the $10 Antique Bronze sale. This of course would change just slightly. Is the .69 cent difference really worth minting 500 more coins? I really don't know. I'm looking at the total cost to me and it's pretty steep 2380 vs 3637 is quite a leap. I want to be sure they sell, not only so that I'm not left with the debt, but more so that it helps the charity. Is it always a leap of faith when selling a coin or is there a better way to guage how many should be made? Of course if it does well with 500 maybe I can do a different one next year?

More thoughts/comments are VERY welcome!

Personally I dont like the way geocoins have jumped in price. We offered the first trackable New Jersey coins for $5.99 and now I am seeing coins routinely listed for $8-$10. Which i find to be too extortion.

I think charitable causes are a different type of coin, since they are intended to raise money. We will shortly be selling Skully and Mulder coins for his daughters' charity trust and plan to charge $9.00, so $8-10 is fine in my eyes.

I will ask if this charitable cause has anything to do with geocaching, if not, I persnally don't find it appropriate to post them here. Geocachers are very kind people but keeping things geocaching related is paramount in my mind or else you are taking advantage of people, why not just have them made and listed elsewhere.

Of course, if it is geocaching related put me down for one of the $10 coins please. :)

I will ask if this charitable cause has anything to do with geocaching, if not, I persnally don't find it appropriate to post them here.

How can I answer that? Hmm ok. Had my daughters lived they would be geocaching with us since I learned about Geocaching while I was pregnant with them. Otherwise, well, its a charity to help premature babies live, so that they may one day become Geocachers too? I really don't know how to asnwer that question. Honestly I would say there isn't much saving a babies life doesn't have to do with, if they live they can do all the things you and I do so I would think it's involved with everything living is? I'm not very good at answering this question, I'm sorry :)

I will say this I am in no way trying to take advantage of anyone(not to mention I can't force anyone to buy a coin) if there is a real concern about it, I wont do the coin. I just thought it would be nice. Also, I think I've been pretty up front about everything, if anything is questionable I'd be happy to straighten it out to the best of my ability. Oh and I'm not personally going to make a dime off of this coin if that's a concern of anyone's.

UO Trackers: Make the coin, if people don't like it tough. Katrina coins were not directly related to geocaching but they found a way in, selling Scout coins is sending Scouts to camp and therefore (both coins were fine by me), you want to make a coin for charity go for it. We can't judge charities or rank them, therefore put me down for 2.

Well, here's my two-cents worth: Do the coin and make it geocaching related in some manner, perhaps like a personal geocaching coin. I'm sure the charity doesn't care since they will be the recipient of some proceeds and that way, you satisfy the people who believe any coins talked about here should be caching related. I am an advocate of keeping the prices down and believe you will sell more coins if they are less expensive. To make up the difference, perhaps you could make more coins. At any rate, I wish you luck and am anxious to see what you come up with, I might be interested once I can see what they will look like.

People are selling coins purely for profit so why is it not appropriate to sell them for a charity. I say get the coins made and sell half of them on ebay as a full blown auction. Get as much for them as the market will bear. Sounds like a worthy cause, put me down for a couple at whatever price.

It just occured to me that my opinion on Charity Coins is backwards from other coins. I don't care if Charity coins have anything to do with geocaching. A Red Cross would be fine for a Red Cross charity coin. The geocaching tie in is geocachers doing something for charity. I think a charity coin is more geocaching related than a Legend of Yetti Coin.

FWIW.

I will ask if this charitable cause has anything to do with geocaching, if not, I persnally don't find it appropriate to post them here.

How can I answer that? Hmm ok. Had my daughters lived they would be geocaching with us since I learned about Geocaching while I was pregnant with them. Otherwise, well, its a charity to help premature babies live, so that they may one day become Geocachers too? I really don't know how to asnwer that question. Honestly I would say there isn't much saving a babies life doesn't have to do with, if they live they can do all the things you and I do so I would think it's involved with everything living is? I'm not very good at answering this question, I'm sorry :P

I will say this I am in no way trying to take advantage of anyone(not to mention I can't force anyone to buy a coin) if there is a real concern about it, I wont do the coin. I just thought it would be nice. Also, I think I've been pretty up front about everything, if anything is questionable I'd be happy to straighten it out to the best of my ability. Oh and I'm not personally going to make a dime off of this coin if that's a concern of anyone's.

Good Answer!!

Put me down for 5

I'll offer my $.10 worth. I think you should March ahead with this coin. I am sure the charity will appreciate it and your fellow cachers will empathize with your loss, and how you're trying to make something positive from it.

I feel like you are trying to tell me something...... :P:P

I think $10 is a fine price for a charity coin. I would buy at that price. $15 maybe a little too much for me.

I have lost babies as miscarriages, one fairly far along. I have also been blessed with 3 beautiful daughters.

I think this is a worthy cause. Go for it! B)

I'll offer my $.10 worth. I think you should March ahead with this coin. I am sure the charity will appreciate it and your fellow cachers will empathize with your loss, and how you're trying to make something positive from it.

You have shed alot of light on this situation. This is definately something I can get behind. :P

I find it disappointing that the forum rules will not allow for direct disclosure of such a worthy cause.

You can count me in. :P

Edited by Phantom_Dog

I find it disappointing that the forum rules will not allow for direct disclosure of such a worthy cause.

Does anybody read the guidelines anymore??

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause."

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Does anybody read the guidelines anymore??

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause."

my bad

very undisappointed

sorry :P

Does this mean the charitable cause can be directly mentioned?

Oh I could just hug you to death!!! (how do you hug a flying spaghetti monster? OMG I just had a vision into the future... a flying spaghetti monster is what my little girl will be at what, 2 years old? Ack!)

It's the March of Dimes!!!!

Since I've seen a lot of people wanting the $10 coin, do you think it would be ok to mint say 400 of that coin, 75 of the $15 coin and 25 to be auctioned? Again jsut checking to see what everyone thnks! I'm so glad about the response I have received already!

I think that would be reasonable, but I would offer the following suggestion as well.

Once you get everything all ready for them to be produced, maybe even having some samples made, you can commit to making 500 of them, then state that you will make them to order up to a certain number, say 1000? I think most makers would be happy to let you increase your order amount. You still do have a limit for the minting so the collectors will know a max number (and 1000 is fairly typical for many coins) then round your order up to the next hundred to cover "lost in the mail" coins, then you will have afew more extras for general ebay auctioning. (that also means don't sell all 1000, hold some back to cover any lost)

BTW, I would be in for afew of the $10 coins.

People are selling coins purely for profit so why is it not appropriate to sell them for a charity. I say get the coins made and sell half of them on ebay as a full blown auction. Get as much for them as the market will bear. Sounds like a worthy cause, put me down for a couple at whatever price.

This post captures the reasoning for why there's a special exception in the Geocoins Forum for charitable solicitations (as noted above by the airborne pasta). Once you say that it's OK to talk about sales of trackable geocoins, and to link to eBay auctions of trackable geocoins, how can you make a distinction among selling coins for personal profit, for the benefit of a local geocaching association, or for charity? It would put the moderators in the position of having to quiz everyone about where the proceeds of their sales were going, and we didn't want to do that.

The moderators would only ask that the focus of such threads ought to be on the geocoins, and the threads should be confined to this forum. A summary of the charity or the motivation for the project is just fine. The OP in this thread is a good example. So is the thread about geocoin donations for the Skully & Mulder trust fund. If someone comes along and posts an eight-paragraph solicitation about all the wonderful work being done by the Save the Hamsters Foundation, a moderator may pop by and ask that all the text and neon lights and cute hamster pictures be replaced with a link to the Foundation's website.

Since I've seen a lot of people wanting the $10 coin, do you think it would be ok to mint say 400 of that coin, 75 of the $15 coin and 25 to be auctioned? Again jsut checking to see what everyone thnks! I'm so glad about the response I have received already!

I think that would be reasonable, but I would offer the following suggestion as well.

Once you get everything all ready for them to be produced, maybe even having some samples made, you can commit to making 500 of them, then state that you will make them to order up to a certain number, say 1000? I think most makers would be happy to let you increase your order amount. You still do have a limit for the minting so the collectors will know a max number (and 1000 is fairly typical for many coins) then round your order up to the next hundred to cover "lost in the mail" coins, then you will have afew more extras for general ebay auctioning. (that also means don't sell all 1000, hold some back to cover any lost)

So basically buy 500 to start and if demand is there buy more?

If a coin is lost in the mail I replace it? How do I assure people aren't pulling one over on me?

I also like the having extras to ebay, just normal ones, but the 25 two tone will be LE. Should I have a minimum bid on them? What would be a good minimum bid?

Thanks again, for everything, it's really been a BIG help to me!

I have a question, why is it okay to sell a coin linked to a specific cause through the geocaching forums and to allow a special icon when a geocacher is not able to place a geocache that "promotes" a cause. For example I had set up a cache that was called the Awareness cache with my intentions being that people share their stories of things that have happened to them as a way to educate others. For example to start the cache off I was going to share the story of my mother's battle with cancer and my husband was going to share a story that has effected him, however we were told that we could not place a cache as it was promoting a cause.

I am not trying to start anything but I do think that geocaching needs to be consistent with their messages as to what is and what is not allowable.

So basically buy 500 to start and if demand is there buy more?

If a coin is lost in the mail I replace it? How do I assure people aren't pulling one over on me?

I also like the having extras to ebay, just normal ones, but the 25 two tone will be LE. Should I have a minimum bid on them? What would be a good minimum bid?

Thanks again, for everything, it's really been a BIG help to me!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you will sell 400 of the regulars, plus your 75 LE and your 25 ebay only coins. If you offer them for sale just before they are going to be minted, you could up the order and probably receive them all at once. Or you just reorder them up to your stated limit.

If you are shipping them yourself, and you use paypal to print your postage, it will include delivery conf automatically for .14, that will at least let you know if it was delivered or not. I'm not sure that there is very much fraud going on with buyers claiming to not have received their coins. If you pack them well, wrapping them in plasic wrap and then taping them inside the envelope is a good method, then you shouldn't have many that receive an empty envelope. (wrap up a copy of their order as well, if it does open the postoffice may be able to match it up and still deliver it)

$25 is where the next e-bay listing fee increase happens. so I would think 24.95 would be a good starting bid for them (many standard coins sell for that price quickly). I wouldn't put any sort of reserve on there, and I would suggest adding insurance to the postage for those shipments. Also maybe don't list all of them at once, but state in the auction that there are only 25 of them made and they will only be available at auction. maybe something like "this is the 4th of these 25 being auctioned."

NSLP you have been a BIG help! thank you dso much! I will remember that when we mint our plain old normal boring personal coins, lol.

You are welcome. Of course I pretty much just offer my opinions and observations.

I've been working on getting afew coins created, but they are along the lines of the "generic geocoin" in that the standard editions will not be limited in qty and will be nicely priced.

One of these days we will also mint our own personal coins (probably NOT trackable, but also not sold) Trying to finish up some design details on that one yet.

-Mike

I just got the Artwork from Fox and Hound and it looks great! What do ya'll think?

coin_heads_side_copy-2.jpgTails_Side_MOD.jpg

Course now I need to come up with an icon...suggestions?

Also I'm not taking preorders YET, however as of right now I plan to have 25 two tone coins (For Ebay auctions only) 75 Antique silver coins & 400 Antique Brass coins, with the option to increase these ammounts adding an aditional 75 antique silver and 225 antique brass for a TOTAL of 800 should demand be there for the additional mints. I've sent out for a request, as soon as everything is approved I will start a preorder. The coin WILL be GC trackable (pending ok from gc.com) and have an icon (design needed).

Like the design. But can you see if those points can be rounded at all? They'll slice through the mailers and coin binder pages with ease the way they are :laughing:

Why not have an icon of your signature angels made for the coin? It's a sillouette and should work out nicely.

Sorry I should have put that in there, the corners ARE going to be rounded!

If someone comes along and posts an eight-paragraph solicitation about all the wonderful work being done by the Save the Hamsters Foundation, a moderator may pop by and ask that all the text and neon lights and cute hamster pictures be replaced with a link to the Foundation's website.

DON'T YOU LIKE HAMSTERS???

Edited by GeoHills

I'll take one for my collection and one for personal self defense.....(That .45 ACP gets heavy) ;)

What's funny is I designed this coin without my husband, he's a 4th degree black belt. He too liked the "star" design, but it's actually a compass turned to it's side, it's from the game we play Ultima Online.

I hope Groundspeak doesn't have a problem approving the coin.

They've stated their position pretty clearly in the past about charities - such as not approving charity events because it could be taken that Groundspeak silently endorses a particular charity by publishing a cache event listing. Having to pick and choose between charities, etc.

This coin has both the geocaching url as well as the march of dimes url on the same side of the coin. To a casual observer this could definitely be construed as a very public endorsement of a national charity.

I will be interested to see what happens.

I will also be very interested in purchasing the coins when the time comes for personal reasons.

Well if you got permission from March Of Dimes to put their url on the coin and if your going to donate some of the procedes then ask permission to use their logo.
I don't think I need permission from MOD to use their URL, I sis ask for permission to use the Logo and what it came down to is that they are in the process of minting a coin themselves, a completely MOD coin that will likely be priced $50 for one type and $100 for the other based onthe minter they are using and that minters previous charity coins.

I didn't anticipate this being a problem so I sure hope not too...hmmm

From reading their guidelines at the top I needed to have a minter before applying for aproval, so I just sent those pics off to one today for a quote. I assumed I needed that before applying for approval? Yup I hope no problems.

I didn't anticipate this being a problem so I sure hope not too...hmmm

From reading their guidelines at the top I needed to have a minter before applying for aproval, so I just sent those pics off to one today for a quote. I assumed I needed that before applying for approval? Yup I hope no problems.

It shouldn't be an issue. Charity Coins are mentioned in the guidelines as allowable. Thus their review and approval would still focus on the wording for tracking and the GC.coms own logo. An example of what caused a "No" from Groundspeak is the 2005/2006 Idaho Coin. Per Groundspeak the back was too similar to thier logo to allow us to track it. Had we changed the colors, tweaked the squares, or actually used their logo with out modifying it, we could have tracked the coin.