2k Etiquette

Locally, we throw celebrations 1K then 5K then 10K and just acknowledge the other milestones in a friendly way. For 1K it is a gold ammo box, 5K is a platinum box, and we haven't had a 10K yet, so I don't know what it will be, I am voting for black. That is just the way things are done in my neck of the woods, your mileage may vary.

real quick, what is 1k, or 2k? i never heard of this before what is it?

It's common in many areas for geocachers to throw a party when someone hits 1000 finds, 2000 finds, 3000 finds, etc. The "K" is short for "Kilo" as in Kilogram or Kilometer and the "K" or "Kilo" means 1000 as in '1000 meters is a kilometer'

2000 bottles of beer - good thinking. Forget the spray painted ammo cans, go for the gusto.

2,000 bottles of beer on the wall, 2000 bottles of beer...take one down, pass it around, 1,999 bottles of beer on the wall......Everybody!!! 1,999 bottles of beer on the wall.............................

I recentely attended a 5K party where a platinum ammo box was awarded. I'm not sure what a 2K would call for though. Something that might be considered is the milestone coins that can be engraved with the date, waypoint, and cachers name for various miilestones. It would surely be appreciated by the recipient. Of course a new car would be nice too or even a 6 pk of Guinness.

In my area of NC, we typically hold a celebration event for those reaching the 1K milestone. In most cases, prior to the event, several cachers will create a special challenge cache commemorating this milestone. Most of these caches are several stages, mostly micros, and quite devious. Here was my special cache...

Medical Emergency (aka Medic208's 1000th cache)

Mine was a 10 stage multi, all micro's except the final. It only took me 4 hours to complete, but it was a very enjoyable day.

We have had a few cachers in our area pass the 2K mark recently, but we haven't had an event to celebrate that... YET :huh:

The question came up in the MS geocaching website forums about what to do for 2K. Eventually somebody decided on some flavor of silvery metal, but I don't think anybody decided exactly what it should be called (though I think somebody suggested lead or uranium at one point :rolleyes: ). It ended up being a very bright chrome ammo box with a shiny, smooth finish, but not smooth enough to act as a mirror.

K = kilo = 1000. It's a silly european thing that seems to have caught on here. :rolleyes:

Don't pay any attention to this response. ;)

It is a computer geek thing to always use the scientific notations for multiples of 0's.

K = Kilo = 1,000

M = Mega = 1,000,000

G = Giga = 1,000,000,000

If you want to claim to be computer literate then you need to know these geeky things! ;)

It is a computer geek thing to always use the scientific notations for multiples of 0's.

K = Kilo = 1,000

M = Mega = 1,000,000

G = Giga = 1,000,000,000

So a 160GB hard drive would hold 160,000,000,000 bytes!!!

And my 512MB SD card holds 512,000,000 bytes!!!

You explained it much better than my PC repair course. :rolleyes:

Edited by Airmapper

K = Kilo = 1,000

M = Mega = 1,000,000

G = Giga = 1,000,000,000

So a 160GB hard drive would hold 160,000,000,000 bytes!!!

And my 512MB SD card holds 512,000,000 bytes!!!

You explained it much better than my PC repair course. ;)

Ah, if it were that simple. :rolleyes:

I have not been involved in any number K parties. They sound like fun.

There is etiquette for any of these milestones?  I wasn't aware of it.

YEah, it's called Southern Hospitality around here. :D

Around here we call it "going out for a few beers" but I'm still not aware of any etiquette or protocol involved.

Going out for a few beers is something we do on a very regular basis, and often without even posting it as an event. :D

Plotting out a very devious and evil multi cache with your known phobias in mind to celebrate your induction into the 1K club, and then acknowledging your level of committment (or is it need to be committed ;) ) at an event with lots of beer and festivities and the presentation of the gold ammo can is something that only happens every so often. So far there have been 11?, with a few more in the works.

My gold can sits proudly on my desk at home, with a few special mementos nearby.

So far we have ignored 2,3,4K, but there was a 5K event recently.

The etiquette is the same as at any other event; eat too much, drink too much, dance too much, and do something memorable that can be talked about with much pointing and laughter at the next event. :D:D:P:D