Chance Of 105 Mile Review Approval

WeR3

I live in Richmond Virginia but go to a lake house about 105 miles away frequently. In the summer we go just about everly week for 2 to 4 days. In the winter 1 to 2 times a month for 2 to 3 days. There aren't very many cahces in this area as you can see by the zip code query for 23927

What is the chance I'll get some caches approved at the Lake if I follow the rules and get the details to the reviewers satisfaction?

Probably, unless you're in VA.

Just kidding, here's a couple things that will help out.

- Hide the type of cache that needs little maintenance. Ammo cacn with big log book out on a trail. Micros in an urban location tend to need more attention.

- Show your travel frequency. Find logs, etc.

- Write a reviewer's note explaining what you said here.\

Good luck!

I would suggest, before you place the cache, to send an email to the reviewer for the area and open up a dialogue about the hide. Then if the reviewer is cool with it or has any questions, you get all of that out of the way first. Once you submit the cache, just put a note in the reviewer note field at the bottom of the new submission page to remind him or her of your previous conversation.

The better you communicate with the reviewer, particularly in a situation where it may not get listed, the better chance you have of getting it on the site.

:mad:

Hope it works for you. The vacation rule does appear to limit caching opportunities in areas that have few year round caching residents.

That statement really should be qualified.

In the remote areas of Nevada, most caches are owner by folks at least 200 miles away and are typically published as long as the cache is designed to be of the minimum maintenance variety.

I'd say your chances are good. I maintain a cache over 4 hours away. Just have to demonstrate will and determination - plus frequent visits to the area. It also helps if you have a "friend-in-the-know" who is local and could help you check on the cache in a pinch

Thanks Grandpa! <_<

i got a no. OI have a house in NC and we visit all of the time. There are only a few there and I tried to make a webcam and they said no.

I'm guessing the reason yours was turned down was less about the distance from your 'home' as it was the fact that you were trying to get a webcam approved. I think those went on the list of 'good luck buddy' quite a while ago, and have become part of Waymarking.com now--hence no new webcams listed (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) I'd bet if you come up with a traditional cache in the area under the same circumstances, you'd have a shot at getting it approved. (not a reviewer, so take my comments with a grain of salt)

I would suggest, before you place the cache, to send an email to the reviewer for the area and open up a dialogue about the hide. Then if the reviewer is cool with it or has any questions, you get all of that out of the way first

I have a few caches hundreds of miles away from my home and a few thousands of miles.

The one thing you have to do is, to show you or your maintainer is able to look after the caches you submit. If you have a cache or caches you can maintain say so, if not find a person that is willing to look after it in that area during your absence. You can or must post that information on your cache page.

I have had caches on Hawai'i for 3 year now and monitor and maintain and update the websites constantly without problems.

Webcams are grandfathered, no NEW ones are being approved.

Or published. :ph34r:

That's correct. With the November 2 guidelines change, webcams are no longer listed on geocaching.com. The old ones are allowed to remain, as long as they're active. They are subject to maintenance like any other cache though, so may be archived if the cam goes down for an extended period of time.

Webcams are currently being listed on Waymarking.com, so log away!

<_<

Webcams are still approved! I have one 67.7 miles awayPancake Cam Just how DO you maintain a webcam cache?? I also have other caches over 70 miles from home but I do frequent the area quite often!!

Which was approved in Aug 2005. The rules have changed since. You maintain it by checking periodically to see that the camera is still up and your URLs are still good.

Edited by briansnat

If you regularly cache in the area and along the way and your logs bear that out then you need only state the frequency of your visits and it should be no problem. Out here in the rural west, many cachers easily place caches up to 200 miles from home. Of course I regularly cache in these areas and drive through them as well.