When Is The Search Feature Going To Work ?

the.pud

Groundspeak needs to upgrade to the newer version of the Invision PowerBoard software in order to fix the sluggishness problem that necessitated turning off the search feature. It isn't a case of being able to surgically repair the search feature in the existing software. It's canned software.

This probably ought to go over to the GC.com forum where there are already some threads about the search feature. I would try to find those threads, but, ummm...... :D

Searching on one's own for a topic already discussed to death is one way of avoiding being told, "That was already discussed to death!"

Instead you would get a silent, "HERE" that is a link to the dead discussion.

Seriously, I like to use search to find a possible answer to my problem, rather than ask it outright and really seem like an idiot...especially if I am new and the rest are seasoned veterans, and they are tired of answering that same question over and over...

Searching on one's own for a topic already discussed to death is one way of avoiding being told, "That was already discussed to death!"

Instead you would get a silent, "HERE" that is a link to the dead discussion.

Seriously, I like to use search to find a possible answer to my problem, rather than ask it outright and really seem like an idiot...especially if I am new and the rest are seasoned veterans, and they are tired of answering that same question over and over...

As a seasoned veteran who tries to answer my fair share of questions that have been asked many times in the past, I am trying my best to be extra-understanding while the search feature is broken. It is very little effort to just type the correct answer, or a summary of past discussions, even if you can't search for and link to those past discussions easily.

I will not flame someone for asking a question that they've never seen discussed before. I *will* flame someone for jumping down a newcomer's throat and saying "this has been argued to death, go read the old threads." I am happy that I am not seeing people say that.

If I see a question that I am tired of answering, I will just skip posting in that thread. There are lots of other people who are capable of giving an answer. If someone who has been here for three months knows the answer, it feels good when you can help someone who has been here for three weeks.

Edited by The Leprechauns

The search feature is something I use quite a bit. Well. I did. I search for new posts, search for my posts, etc. It's harder for me to navigate. Since it's been down for a month or more, I feel pretty disoriented without it, to be honest. Some people may not miss it, but I certainly do. I was hoping it was not down there on the list of forum upgrade priorities. If that's the case, I'll be really bumed out. :D

Anything I can help out with, powers that be?

In the meantime, you can go to www.google.com and type in something like this to search for, say, posts on backpacks:

backpacks site:forums.Groundspeak.com/gc

You can easily substitute whatever text you want for "backpacks".  Enjoy!

That won't work for all the forums. Search engines won't be able to index a thread in forums, like this one, than can only be viewed when signed on with your account's user name and password.

Example: Looking for Pm Notification Wonky through Google gives you nothing.

That won't work for all the forums. Search engines won't be able to index a thread in forums, like this one, than can only be viewed when signed on with your account's user name and password.

Example: Looking for Pm Notification Wonky through Google gives you nothing.

Also, the results returned by Google aren't the freshest. So if I wrote "super petroleum airplane catfish dining room" in another section of the forum that doesn't require login, it probably won't turn up in a Google search for a few days. Not sure how often Google crawls this site.

Yeah--all the old farts that complain bitterly about newbies asking naive questions.  You can't acidly point them to the search feature if it isn't working.

That's the whole reason I asked about the search in the first place..... have been trying to use it so not to bother others with stupid Q's like where's this ETC...........I'll just try stumbling around until it comes live again. :laughing:

Grizzly John, The Leprechauns, WascoZookeeper, Markwell, Pud...and all the rest...

Thank you. B)

What I have noticed in many of the forum subjects is either there is a sense of humor or not. I don't mind getting reminded that I am a whining newbie when it is delivered with a large dose of humor. All too often that subtle poke is missing in type alone. Should we all be standing face to face, the evil gleam would not be missed in anyone's eye. :huh:

(sarcHasm - the gulf that divides those with sarcastic wit from those without)

I am the first to poke fun at myself. I am a 6 foot blonde with size 11 shoes. I have a knack for both math and mechanics. I sew and cook, and I used to drive a forklift at one of those home improvement warehouses. I can't dance or do a cartwheel (never could for that matter!) but I can drive my stick-shift V6 Ford. Do you think I EVER fit in with the Stepford crowd? :laughing: I make fun of myself first and foremost. Should I EVER be able to help someone new, I am eager to do so, if for no other reason than (play "NEENER" music here) I know more than they do!

I come in here with honest "never done that before" questions. Sometimes I have goten less-than-friendly answers. Most of the time I have gotten some really great reading and entertainment, along with some really good advice. :mad:

I am not sure why I felt compelled to write all of that here, but what the hey...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEARCH TO WORK AGAIN!!!

<I know I was shouting, by the way, sorry...>

Well, they have to bring it back. A whole new verb came out of the ability to search! You would be "markwelled", which is not to say 'hey dummy, that question's been asked', it just says 'here you are my friend, here is the information and all the feedback that goes with it that you want.' We can't waste a perfectly good verb! :grin:

Are any of us actually interested in searching anyway?

Yeah--all the old farts that complain bitterly about newbies asking naive questions. You can't acidly point them to the search feature if it isn't working.

Careful, we resemble that remark! :lol::lol::grin:

Curious? The search function is being blamed for slowing down the site, but having Google do the search isn't causing a slow down? Is Google a better search engine?

John

Not only does the search feature allow you to search for topics, it also let's you show forum posts by user. Additionally it lets you use the "View New Posts" feature. Heck, it lets you find your OWN posts. The search feature was one of the best things about these forums. I miss it a lot and look forward to it coming back.

Are any of us actually interested in searching anyway?

You all know of course I was joking, right.... right?. Again I just find it incredibly ironic that a search feature doesn't work on a geocaching website. We can locate a cache the size of a Bic lighter or worse almost anywhere in the world but we can't find old posts in this forum. <_<

I'm not much to whine about things in these forums, but if there was one whine that I would hope be brought about as a top priority...

:blink: PUHLEEEZE bring back the Search feature! Googling these forums is barely adequate at best. I do (or rather did) a lot of referencing of threads that don't make it to Google right away. :drama: I'm on bended knee begging... :blink: ...well... that is if I had a knee to bend on...

Edited by TotemLake

Is there an ETA for upgrading the forum software? Best guess would be cool.

Funny thing is, this forum is the only forum I search for information. Google is good, but it's always a hodge podge of info.

mrking

**EDIT: Had to spell check "Hodge Podge" :lol:

What, no 'embarased' icon? ;)

Edited by mrking

We have the software installed and we ran a conversion tool to make sure the forum data would move over smoothly. Keep your fingers crossed but the new software should be up by the end of next week. We'll provide an update when we plan to have some downtime for the forum upgrade.

Stupid question ... what was wrong with the search feature before? Was it causing performance problelms?

Yes. It was hogging database cycles which was crashing the forums constantly. The forums use MySQL which isn't our forte, but the many optimization tools out there didn't seem to help.

The upgrades tout that the search functionality has been significantly improved since our version which is many versions behind. I hope that this will be the case when we release the new site.

Which, by the way, the new forum software has a bunch of new features. You can even ignore posters.

Stupid question ... what was wrong with the search feature before?  Was it causing performance problelms?

Yes. It was hogging database cycles which was crashing the forums constantly. The forums use MySQL which isn't our forte, but the many optimization tools out there didn't seem to help.

The upgrades tout that the search functionality has been significantly improved since our version which is many versions behind. I hope that this will be the case when we release the new site.

Which, by the way, the new forum software has a bunch of new features. You can even ignore posters.

What happens if I ignore myself?

Very cool stuff Jeremy. Looking forward to the updates and any mystery features we might score in the process! <_<

Um, can't you do that with avatar forum title? Or was this a second line?

Of course you can. If you're a premium member.

How many people do you see list their location in their forum title?

In the old forums, it was part of your profile and showed up on the page, so when someone talked about a cache in "their area" you knew where they were talking about.

Jamie

Um, can't you do that with avatar forum title?  Or was this a second line?

Of course you can. If you're a premium member.

How many people do you see list their location in their forum title?

In the old forums, it was part of your profile and showed up on the page, so when someone talked about a cache in "their area" you knew where they were talking about.

Jamie

So... yes, it was a second line. I don't know why people don't use ther location in their forum avatar and I don't particularly care.