What's A Good Container To Use As A Cache?

guitarfreak7

It all depends on where you want to hide it. In my opinion, there is no better container for a cache in the woods than a good old repainted ammo can. Caches in more urban areas should blend in with the surroundings. There are many good options. Some of these are lock-n-locks, bison tubes, and film canisters.

You might take a look at the 'Cool Cache Container' thread in the 'general' area.

I have found A good place for a geocache but I've never hid one before. Can You people tell me what kind of containers work best? :D

It depends on the size of the cache, which depends on the hide (what it will accommodate). Your main concern should be how weather tight they are, and how easy they are to close properly (so finders don't leave them partially open).

The best all 'round container is a surplus military ammo can - they come in several sizes (the smallest is about the size of a small shoe box) and are pretty much immune to the elements. You can find them at a local Army/Navy surplus store or on line (see Cabela's for example. Be sure to sand off the military markings and label the outside as a geocache to avoid alarming unsuspecting folks with the military look of the box!

For something smaller, try a surplus "decon container". I've never found these locally, but have ordered on line (click here to see what they look like).

Even smaller (micro) caches, you might try something like a Bison Capsule. If you use a 35 mm film can (many people do), be sure to put your log in a plastic baggie, because film canisters are NOT waterproof!

By far the best containers are ammo boxes. They are watertight, durable, animal proof and easily painted in camoflage to fit the area of your hide. You can get them fairly cheaply at Cabelas.com (6 for $19 plus shipping).

Next are Lock 'n Locks. They seal fairly tightly, come in a variety of sizes and are inexpensive. They can be camoed using camo tape, or with special plastic spraypaints.

Right behind Lock n Locks are Nalgene Straight Jars. They are inexpensive and watertight and come in a few sizes.

Behind those are Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (with blue rim on lid). They last about a year or two in the wild (depending on exposure to weather) and also come in a number of sizes.

They key is finding a watertight container. I've had best results with the four containers above.

As far as containers to avoid, surprisingly real Tupperware seems to fail fairly quickly. Tupperware is not cheap and it reacts poorly when exposed to the elements. Other poor containers are dollar store Tupperware type containers, Gladware (and similar containers), Rubbermaid Serve 'n Savers, Chinese food/deli containers, Pringles containers, plastic Folgers coffee cans (or any coffee can for that matter).

If your cache will not be exposed to the elemets nearly anything will work, but most cache placements are exposed to the weather. If you don't mind having to visit your cache regularly to dry it out you can use nearly anything, but if you want a relatively maintenance free cache choose one of the four I mentioned at the top.

Edited by briansnat

I will cast my vote for Lock n Lock's, they are inexpensive, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes and they paint up good, Rubbermaids are OK except the lids don't hold paint that well. Waterproof is real important so ammunition cans are excellent as well but they are large and squarish, both things make hiding them more difficult. I will only use Lock n Locks and ammunition cans.

I would like to make them all ammunition cans but that would be difficult. :D

I have yet to try these, but I am thinking here... :antenna: (ow!)

A friend of mine that lives in Canada (not sure if this is only a Canadian thing as I don't smoke) brought me some tobacco cans since her hubby rolled pipe tobacco cigs. They look to be PVC and are about 8" tall and 5" in diameter. They have a screw on lid that I have not yet determined whether or not it is waterproof if laid on its side. They come with a small patch of silica gel on the lid, and I know that tobacco must be kept at a certain humidity, so I would assume (dangerous, I know) that it would be somewhat airtight.

Since they are PVC I am going to use the Fusion paint to cammo them.

My friend's hubby has since quit smoking, so I have limited cans to work. Hopefully she still has some stashed around the place that she can send me later on...

I would like to strongly suggest that you do not use tobacco cans. There is a fair amount of work involved in setting up a cache that people will enjoy and one that will age well. Using a good container is the first step to making a cache an enjoyable experience. Tobacco cans leak no matter which way they are placed, other bad containers include ice cream pails, margarine containers, disposable gladware and take out containers. Other containers to avoid are anything that has ever contained food, any container with a shoulder below the lid (people have trouble getting stuff in and out) and any container that is difficult to open.

A good ammo can or Lock n Lock will only set you back a few bucks. When you look at the amount of work required to place a good cache, skimping on the container doesn't make sense.

Good location + good hide + good container = GREAT CACHING EXPERIENCE

:antenna:

By far, out of all the caches I've placed, the containers that have been the most unique have been the most popular ones (ie, the ones where I've gotten the most positive comments about it). Walk through a hardware store and look at everything and think "I could turn that into a container" and then do so!

Like everybody else said, I recommend the ammo can. But I got a Pelican Hard Case for christmas that I think could compare to the ammo can. It is submersible to 50 feet, has an automatic pressure purge valve, dustproof, crushproof and comes in solid colors or clear with colored liners. The price is not that bad either. See here:

http://www.pelicanshippingcases.com/pelican-micro-cases.jsp

Hippie B

Like everybody else said, I recommend the ammo can. But I got a Pelican Hard Case for christmas that I think could compare to the ammo can. It is submersible to 50 feet, has an automatic pressure purge valve, dustproof, crushproof and comes in solid colors or clear with colored liners. The price is not that bad either. See here:

http://www.pelicanshippingcases.com/pelican-micro-cases.jsp

Hippie B

I do think that the plastic could be vulnerable to UV Light after long exposure.

we used a prescription bottle (we tested it in water to check for leakage) its covered in black electrical tape( label removed of course) and then hidden in a second practically water proof container. it works good for a micro.

My question is, we see alot of altoids cans are they good micro containers? Do they hold up well? The grocery store near our house had a bunch clearanced down to 49 cents

RykoalaTeam

Edited by RykoalaTeam

For Micros....magnetic key containers

Altoids Tins

35mm Film container

For Small ... Large Vitamin bottle

Military De-Con container

Old Peanut Butter Jar (plastic only)

For Standard ... Ammo can

Paint Ball ammo can

Large Peanutbutter Jar

Plastic shoebox container.

For Large ... Five Gallon Bucket

Large kitty litter bucket.

My first attempt at a cache was mistaken for a Bomb and blown up. No kidding.... It was not only discovered, but then relocated a half mile away and deposited in a playground. I just wish that person would have stolen it instead. After that I became a big believer in clear or translucent containers. I HIGHLY recomend that you mark the outside as a geocache. The stickers sold at Groundspeak are worth the money.

I have gotten my hands on a ammo can recently. I plan to deposirt that in a deep woods area and no where near an urban area. I have already affixed a geocache sticker to the outside. I'm taking no chances this time.

Good luck to you....

To RykoalaTeam

Yes, altoid tins do make good micros. One of my caches is a altoid tin. They are not waterproof, so I wrap the logbook in plastic. I also wrap a rubber band around the outside to help keep it closed.

One more thing ... They will rust in time. But they are cheap enough that you can replace it when that time comes.

cargodog

As no one else has mentioned them, I'll add matchsafes - my preferred micro container. Walmart sells one for $0.86, bright orange, but it takes black spray paint just fine - REMOVE the O ring before painting, the solvents apparently damage it. With tax that's almost 1 whole dollar more than a 35mm will cost you, but it doesn't require an inner baggie and the log will not deteriorate to papier-mache. My local Army Surplus sells the identical matchsafe in OD Green for $2.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Lots of good ideas are mentioned.

I'll second the matchstick container. They are completely waterproof, and like the previous poster said, you can easily paint them.

Bison tubes are also a really good waterproof option for micros.

Altoids tins are not waterproof, and they rust. Rustproof paint doesnt work (we've tried). Even with the logbook in a plastic bag, the container will still fill with water and be a mess. We've hidden a few--but swapped them all out for better containers. I don't think we've found more than one ore two that were dry. I recommend staying away from them.

The lock-n-locks are GREAT! We had a cache hidden in a park that was destroyed during Hurricane Ivan in Sept 04. The park (and the cache) were under 10 feet of water. It took about 8 months before we could get to the cache, but the contents were completely dry and clean. Not one drop of water got in!!! :lol:

We archived that cache, but used the container for a new cache. It's still great!

I have several 4 oz Rubbermaid containers out there, originally as micros, but now listed as "small." I thought they were great, and very cheap. They lasted through two winters with no problems and no leakage, but the second summer seems to have done them in. Every one of them seems to have a damp log book as they near their third year of service. So I'm looking for a suitable replacement container.

I think I will try the peanut butter container because I will forget to try and find lock n locks at target. THankyou for all the suggestions.

Make sure you really, really, really wash it out. Animals have very strong senses of smell and have been known to chew through containers that previously held food, no matter how well they were washed.

i used a coffee can for my cache

Not the best container, but it can work for a while. You should be prepared to upgrade it the first chance you get. Either that or be ready to make frequent trips there to drain the water out, dry the contents and repair the cracked lid.

I think I will try the peanut butter container because I will forget to try and find lock n locks at target. THankyou for all the suggestions.

I like PB containers. I've been saving 'em up this winter for my first hides come spring. A little camo tape and you can't even see them. :anicute:

camo_pb.jpg

Kraft has better PB containers, imho. The lid sits more flush with the container. The first one in the pic is the Kraft one. I think the other two or no-name and Skippy.

Scott

I'm a fan of going to the nearest Dollar Store and buying a bunch of tupperware type plastic containers. I placed one in a swampy area almost a year ago and it is still in perfect shape and dry on the inside. If it ever does leak or get damaged, then I'll replace it with an identical twin that came with it, all for only a dollar.

I'm a fan of going to the nearest Dollar Store and buying a bunch of tupperware type plastic containers. I placed one in a swampy area almost a year ago and it is still in perfect shape and dry on the inside. If it ever does leak or get damaged, then I'll replace it with an identical twin that came with it, all for only a dollar.

I've glad you had good luck with your one cache. My experience has been quite the opposite. When I first started placing caches I used these cheap, dollar store containers and the results were not good. I've also found many caches in them, and they are nearly always wet. The lids crack quickly and either seal poorly, or so tightly that they are tough to get back on.

;) Here are some really industructable boxes. A little expensive but useful for those really special caches.

Otter Boxes

Otter Boxes are truly amazing,a nd many sizes are availalbe in clear plastic. We use the clear smaller and midsized ones in really wet locations. Amazingly, the Otter box company actually guarantees these boxes (the main line of Otter boxes, not the ones made for cameras and PDAs) to remain waterproof at depths up to 100 foot for long-term usage, such as an underwater geocache! I know this because I called them a few weeks ago and had a long chat with them before settling on their products for some future cache placements.You can call them and ask!

There is a similar "waterproof box" brand called Witz boxes, and many of their smaller sized boxes are also available in clear plastic, and we use them at times for cache hides. However, the general scuttlebutt that I hear in the scuba-diving world is that nothing beats an Otter box!

I have found A good place for a geocache but I've never hid one before. Can You people tell me what kind of containers work best? ;)

Really despite all the good anwers which others and I have given you in previous posts, the stark truth is that it seems agreed in the geoaching community and in the scientific community that the best type of cache container is to use a large waterproof Otter box, and fill it to the gills with crisp new $100 bills, and to then send me the coordinates for it one week before you list the cache placement on geocaching.com or any other cache listing website. This seems to make veryone most happy, especially myself! :):):):D

Today at Lowe's I saw a new tool box. It is sold as a waterproof tool box. The smallest size was around $7. Being plastic, it will be prone to breakdown over time, but for $7 it isn't bad. My wife picked up one of the "Lock Lock" airtight containers the other day (clear with 4 locking tabs for the lid). They look pretty good, and with a little tape, they would blend in nicely.

Today at Lowe's I saw a new tool box. It is sold as a waterproof tool box. The smallest size was around $7. Being plastic, it will be prone to breakdown over time, but for $7 it isn't bad. My wife picked up one of the "Lock Lock" airtight containers the other day (clear with 4 locking tabs for the lid). They look pretty good, and with a little tape, they would blend in nicely.

Yep, here are a couple of Lock n Locks with camo tape and a few without:

d1831752-3d35-4f66-b7c5-dc7963649532.jpg

The Wal-Mart $0.89 orange waterproof match containers make a nice micro (assuming you like them :blink: - but that's another forum thread ) and do take paint readily. In addition to removing the o-ring for painting, I would recommend discarding it and getting an o-ring from the hardware store that fits snugly.

The first match container I put out got a log posted about damp contents. Turns out a cacher had lost the flat fiber-like o-ring that came with the container. Bought a rubber o-ring that fit snugly (read - won't fall off and get lost) and have not had any more problems.

MatchContainer.jpg

I modified mine to hang by drilling a small hole in the lid, fitting a bent cotter key through and filling the lid from inside with epoxy.

Painted it with 'digital camouflage' pattern.

JohnTee

There are some Lock-n-Lock clones that have worked well for me so far. You can get them in eastern states at Ocean State Job Lots in three sizes. I forget what they are called. Costco (and probably Sam's) has a set of 14 Lock-n-Lock type containers in various sizes for under 20 bucks. they are called "Snapware." If you duct tape them, especially around the hinges, they should hold up for years. The box has ridiculous pictures of them with food and stuff in them but it's obvious they're meant to be geocache containers.

Edited by hukilaulau
Amazingly, the Otter box company actually guarantees these boxes (the main line of Otter boxes, not the ones made for cameras and PDAs) to remain waterproof at depths up to 100 foot for long-term usage, such as an underwater geocache! I know this because I called them a few weeks ago and had a long chat with them before settling on their products for some future cache placements.
How well do they keep out radiation?

Yep, here are a couple of Lock n Locks with camo tape and a few without:

<pic>

Why not make that picture and the pros/cons of various containers a sticky? It would save you plenty of repeating yourself. :laughing: