Swag Ideas For Big Containers

CamoCachers

i treated myself to a christmas present earlier of a few very large ammo cans. i went to pick up a few small ones, and went crazy like a kid in a candy store when i saw the large cans they had. i walked out with $75 in ammo cans :)

so now im dreaming up ideas on how to properly use cans of this size. one thing i cant figure out, is what am i going to fill them up with?

so i need suggestions. id like to keep the items fairly cheap ($2 or less), but useful. and ideally they would be of a decent size, so i dont have to buy $50 worth of stuff to fill one. id like to stock them with decent items that an adult would like to find. i plan on placing them a good ways out, so theyll be work to find them. i dont like to disappoint. they should get something for the effort!

weve been stocking up on some items lately, so i have a good selection of regular sized flashlights, also some 16oz water bottles, small first aide kits, camoflauge bottle coozies, and some LED light key chains. and well be using small ammo cans for FTF prizes for them

what are some other ideas?

You can get a lot of big swag for dirt cheap at garage sales. I use this means to fill the Hugh Jazz caches I deploy. Largest wast 24 gallons in size. You can fill up a 24 gallon container for less than $5 at a garage sale, and it's good stuff too.

Stuffed animals, books, toy dinosaurs, dolls, puzzles, games.

unfortunately, garage sale season is over in indiana, theres snow on the ground :)

books are a good idea, ill keep an eye out for some outdoors related ones. hadnt thought about that one before. i shouldve, ive found a few in caches before!

i dont wanna use stuffed animals and kiddie stuff in these caches. theyll all be way out of the way for youngins to find. we used them in our 5 gallon bucket cache at a city park and its chocked full and we spent very little. theyre great items to use in sme circumstances. but these will be more adult oriented though.

This may sound ridiculous, but why don't you put some smaller ammo cans in your mega can? I know, not exactly cheap, but maybe you could just put one as the FTF? Maybe make it a fully stocked and ready-to-go cache that the first finder can take and hide themselves? I've got a can (the size of the one in the pic) on loan and I've stuffed it with 7 lock&locks, each stocked with swag and logbooks. A breeder cache, but this one doesn't breed micros.

As far as smaller cheaper swag goes... warm socks, gloves or mittens, flashlights, TB tags, GC cache stickers, gift cards perhaps: Dunkin Donuts, Mc Donalds, etc., personal certificates for things that you can't leave in caches, like multi-tools, that the taker can redeem from you at a future event.... and the list goes on.

im planning on using small ammo cans for FTF prizes.

as far as trading even, it would be mentioned on the cache page its not expected. these items would be available for the taking without trading. the plan is for a 4.5 star terrain rating for at least one of them. youll have to work to get to them. the swag will be an extra something for the find besides the smiley face.

gloves and socks are good ideas. a few ice scrapers and back scratchers would be good for the tall can. and umbrellas, too.

great ideas guys. keepem coming!

water bottles, not bottles of water :unsure:

ah, my mistake.

Carry on then.

You talking this size?

ec17e3d1-72d3-4a69-b0d9-23016eb259f3.jpg

I don't think you could fit more than one of those kids in a cache that size. You need a much bigger box if you want to fit both of them in it.........

Edited by Thrak

May I add you might want to paint or write GeoCaching on them. When I go get ammo containers that is the first thing I do. :unsure: Whatever you choose to put it there it will be great. I took a cooler and painted it up and put it out in the woods full of toys for kids and the best part they could take what they wanted no trading. Have to get rid of all the Mc toys some how

I set an 18 gallon tupperware container cache in the woods near my house that I filled, and continue to fill with mugs...the listing tells caches that they can TMLN (took mug, left nothing)...I don't know why, but mugs seem to reproduce in our cupboards, so I always have a couple that I can run out to the cache when it runs low... :unsure:

mug-swap cache

I also set up a bookswap cache, and a dollar-store "hardware-store" cache using 5 gallon buckets with watertight(ish) lids.

The big containers get lots of good reviews from cachers cruising through my area.

jamie

Edited by NFA

i got them from the army surplus store in brownstown. from indy youd wanna take 65s and take the seymour exit, then follow 50w and its right there on 50 across from jay c in brownstown. id guess itd be about an hour drive coming from indy. thats what it was for me, im right across the ohio river from louisville.

water bottles, not bottles of water :anibad:

ah, my mistake.

Carry on then.

You talking this size?

ec17e3d1-72d3-4a69-b0d9-23016eb259f3.jpg

As a slight hijack -

Those are two absolutely charming young ladies. I'm feeling kinda maudlin these days - my young lady turned 19 on 12/01. She's off at college now. When she was that age, I walked on water and she wanted to be with me all the time. Now, I'll be lucky to see her for more than an hour over the Xmas break.

Cherish them. They will grow up way, way, wayyyyyyy too fast.

Books and mugs are great ideas. You could have a video exchange, a CD exchange, a software exchange or several other kinds of "library" cache.

Then there's stuffed animals, baseball caps; or a funny one I read about in one of these posts: a "lost sock" cache. That's where people drop in all those single socks they can't match up after washing/drying them. SOMEWHERE out there, there's a match!

I've not gotten anythign that big, my final for a cache I own which is a 7 layer puzzle cache is an ammo can and I went and stocked it with stuff from the camping section of Wal-Mart and Bass Pro Shop.

The FTF told me he likes how all my ammo cans are usually stocked with usefull items. His fav is the 10 dollar or so first aid kits I leave as possible FTF prizes if they wanna take them.

As a slight hijack -

Those are two absolutely charming young ladies. I'm feeling kinda maudlin these days - my young lady turned 19 on 12/01. She's off at college now. When she was that age, I walked on water and she wanted to be with me all the time. Now, I'll be lucky to see her for more than an hour over the Xmas break.

Cherish them. They will grow up way, way, wayyyyyyy too fast.

Paxil

Zoloft

:blink:

Ed

I just recently put out a .50 cal ammo can. It's not the biggest in the world, but I know of at least one cacher that left a DVD in it. I was impressed the DVD would fit because I left some diecast metal airplane in the cache, and they were still int he plastic!

You might consider setting up your own movie rental cache and call it Geoflix.

I usually fill my cache with regular stuff but make them a theme, and my FTF prize I try to make match the theme but it will be worth about 2-3times the value of the other stuff. One I'm getting ready to place has magnets. most costing about a buck a piece, but the FTF one is a Star wars pewter magnet worth about $7.00

It wasn't about the money as much as about the prize being special. I had one with sports cards in it and the FTF prize was a sports lapel pin that I got through the memebership fan club.

Big cans call for big stuff, and if it is a hike out there how about something that goes along with that? Sleeping mat, compass, camping supplies, maybe find a nice backpack that isn't too expensive and make it the FTF prize.

I look at that you only have to purchase ONE FTF prize so why not make it a good one.

Here's the initial swag-load from The Hugh Jazz Cooler Cache:

e1f22078-c88c-4e6e-b718-43ced49bdc24.jpg

Total cost: $2 at a garage sale here in "The Best Kept Secret in the Midwest," Wichita Kansas. From March through November, every Thursday through Sunday is Garage Sale Day. Bargains abound. You can get some really good swag.

Edited by Hugh Jazz

I browse Amazon for used field guides. I've gotten some great deals on them too. My own shelves are stocked that way, and when left as cache goodies they're ALWAYS the first item taken. I paid .50 for Gil Nelson's Field Guide to Florida Trees. Of course, shipping on used books is generally $3.49 - on the other hand, if you can get a couple of items from the same vendor you can end up with a net cost of around $2.50 per book. Just search field guide, sorted by least expensive.