Record Keeping Advice?

TeamVilla5

Okay, I know we don't have an off-the-charts number of hides, finds, or DNF's... BUT... I have a TERRIBLE memory sometimes, as does my husband, so I've been contemplating how to keep up with these...

Do you leave the coords on your GPSr after you've found/hidden them? Is this what the software is for?

I've been thinking of a spreadsheet in Excel, with a separate folder for photos (I take photos of all my hidden cache contents and their hiding spots).

Anybody want to share their system? Does anybody NOT keep records at all?

Happy Cachin'!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

For my finds, I use the new "All My Finds" pocket query option. Prior to that, I maintained that GPX file manually, which was a lot of work.

For my hides, a pocket query on "Caches I have hidden" does the trick.

For my DNF's, I use a bookmark list for the unresolved ones (see link below). To see all of them, whether resolved or not, I go to that option from "My Account" --> "Show All Logs For Caches" --> "Show: 'Didn't Find it'"

every time I find a cache I delete it from my gps.

that cleans up the map so I don't end up coming back to the old one's again:>

Before a trip I use easyGPS to print pages of the caches I plan to visit

Usually not more than 12 caches to a page so I have room to write notes.

As I get them I number the finds in order, and write dnf by those.

When I get home I keep a text file log of the caches with usually a comment

about the cache for helping my own memory if I want to review it in the future.

I use a program called "DayNotez" on my Palm to record my finds and DNF's until I get home to enter them online. I seldom empty this program out, so it provides me with a good record of the date I did each cache and any additional information I wrote down while at the cache site. From time-to-time it's been handy to go back over the information...especially when someone calls me for a tip.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of my finds but that stopped being fun so I quit.

Bret

I got me one of the small composition notebooks, the kind that can fit in your pocket, added one of my old golf pencils and a rubber band. I call in my Indiana Jones Book after the one you see Indy use in the Raiders of the Lost Arc. I keep track of the find count, day, what I took or left and TB Numbers. The best thing is no batteries :mmraspberry: .

I use GSAK as my database. Will keep track of anything you want. FTF, FOUND,DNF, distance, logs etc. You can even add personnal notes and pictures.

Finally - reading through this thread and I was wondering if anyone else used GSAK.

Go to the GPS and Software forum and check out the stuff on GSAK - there is a long thread there.

Also go to http://gsak.net/

and read the FAQ -

download it and play with it.

go here http://gsak.net/help/hs2000.htm --- the screen shot should tell you what you can do in general - then click on the different areas - and read about them - then hit the back button and click another.

awesome program - I could not cache without it.

cc\

I use my GPS to keep up with finds/ DNF's. After finding it (or not) I change the waypoint icon to a symbol I appoint for each.

Cache I haven't found: buoy

Found cache: X-Mark

DNF cache: Diver down (Square with diagonal line.)

I also pack a little clipboard and write notes about the cache, what I traded, the condition of the cache, and so on.

Like others, I carry a small notebook with me that I use for taking notes in the field and recording finds, dnfs, etc.

I also keep a spreadsheet that has all my finds and dnfs. I keep track of who was with me or if I was solo, time of find/dnf and a lot of other information. I know how many of my finds were after dark, how many were in cemeteries, etc. This is overkill for most people but it works for me and I enjoy the stats aspect of it.

When I started caching, I printed out the cache page and used it to take any notes on the cache hunt, such as what I left/took, tb's, difficulties, fun things, dnf, etc. Then when I got home, I put these in a three ring notebook I had leftover from something else. To me it was just a way to keep a "history" and I still do it.

I use a combination of programs for caching.

1) I use GSAK to maintain Not Founds, Finds, and Parking Coords. Very nice tool.

2) I use Cachemate on my Palm T3. I upload all Not Found caches for the area I plan on searching. Once found I log it into Cachemate.

3) When I first started caching some 2 years + ago I didn't have a Palm etc, So I created an MS Access database to track my Finds. I still maintain it today as it contains some additional information that is not stored in GSAK (i.e. Who if any one I was with when I found the cache. What coty and county the cache was located in (I'm working on finding a cache in all 88 counties in Ohio).

4) Of course is Geocaching.com

As for keeping the waypoints in your GPSr, like a number of others, I delete the waypoints once I have found the cache. Make sure I don't go looking for one I already found (Been down that road when I first got started).

Maybe I have misunderstood your question, but I just use the stats in my profile to keep track.  :)  :ph34r:

Same here.

...Do you leave the coords on your GPSr after you've found/hidden them?

I leave my hidden caches on my GPS because I may have to go back to perform maintenance. I clear out my found caches periodically. I do receive a PQ of found caches once a week, but I don't do anything with it at the moment.

Edited by briansnat
When I started caching, I printed out the cache page and used it to take any notes on the cache hunt, such as what I left/took, tb's, difficulties, fun things, dnf,  etc.  Then when I got home, I put these in a three ring notebook I had leftover from something else.  To me it was just a way to keep a "history" and I still do it.

Same here. KISS works for me. Peace.

Edited by GeoVet

I mainly rely on Groundspeak for keeping my stats. I save all info regarding my caches - printouts, pictures, trip log, numbers ect. I have saved a couple of better adventures, as soon as I get some better software I want to print my track log on a topo map and frame it on the wall. I keep detailed records of my hides and really nothing else. I have used the software provided wuth the GPS and sent all the info to the program and saved it as a text file. I then opened excell and imported the text file and laid everything out using the spread sheet

We like paper! We take printed cache pages with us on the search, and jot down any info we feel is relevant when we find the cache (if we are doing more than two or three caches in one day), such as what we traded, condition of the container, etc. At home, we log them on gc.com. Then we print out a new cache page (just the first page if there are more than one), and a copy of our log. We put those back to back in a plastic sheet protector in a binder (in chronological order, obviously). We do the same for any cache we hide, and for locationless, virtuals, etc. We also take at least one photo for each cache search...usually of one or more of us with the cache container, but sometimes showing the hide itself (if it's really neat), the view, the historical marker (or other relevant feature), or just the cache container itself (if one of us does a solo hunt). Photos get affixed to the sheet with the log. Our kids really love looking through our "geocache books," and it's nice to have something concrete to look back at and remember the fun we had!

P.S. We don't put DNF's into the book until we find them, but they have their own spot...above the sun visor until they become finds!

I used to geocache with someone who was very obsessive/compulsive about "documentation". He would keep oodles of records on his GPSr, computer, PDA and on paper. At each cache, he would take a foto of the trail entrance, near the cache site, at the cache site, the cache itself, opening the cache, the contents of the cache, his geo-card with the cache, the log with the cache, his GPS with the cache and would mark the coordinates three times on his GPS at the cache site to confirm the webpage cache coordinates. He would stamp the log with his own stamp, sign the log, stamp his geo-card, sign the geo-card. This might take upwards of 20 minutes or more at each cache site.

He would do only a few caches a day so he could get home and record everything on his computer, load the fotos and coordinates into various software including Nat'l Geographic mapping software, a journal and logs. He had records of EVERYTHING. I'm sure I've forgotten some other steps he took. Anyway, after awhile this got REAL tiresome for me.

Me? I want to have fun when I cache. When I decide on an area I'll visit I just do pocket queries and ask for only caches that are active and that I haven't found. This info goes into my GPSr and PDA and I'm good to go. Simple and straight forward.

Edited by Nerves

I used to keep a really thick looseleaf notebook of all the printouts for caches I wanted to do. Now I use GSAK and Cachemate on a Palm V. On hunting days the only thing I do is make notes either on my Palm or a small notebook so I can remember which cache I left which travel bug in or other minor necessary info. Photos and logs, etc. I let the Geocaching web service handle for me. I download coordinates into GSAK and then directly to my Garmin Vista C but I generally don't keep 'found' caches on it unless it's one I intend to use again, say for TB exchanges.

I don't keep up and I'm 600-700 behind. Still have 2 days of GWS3, most of a July cross country trip across the South, 1 day of Portland CM 2004, and several 50-70 days in California. To keep up, I periodically write the above sentence, and recheck my email box for the lists from those caching days. One by one, I'll knock them off with the Boulter Express Logger.

I used to geocache with someone who was very obsessive/compulsive about "documentation". He would keep oodles of records on his GPSr, computer, PDA and on paper. At each cache, he would take a foto of the trail entrance, near the cache site, at the cache site, the cache itself, opening the cache, the contents of the cache, his geo-card with the cache, the log with the cache, his GPS with the cache and would mark the coordinates three times on his GPS at the cache site to confirm the webpage cache coordinates. He would stamp the log with his own stamp, sign the log, stamp his geo-card, sign the geo-card. This might take upwards of 20 minutes or more at each cache site.

:)

He definitely would not make a good caching partner! As for me, if I'm on a big run for the day I'll either use GPXSonar to track the finds, or perhaps a buddy will use Cachemate. Sometimes even pen and paper is the way to go. If I have the laptop in the car, I'll just track the finds in Gsak for that trip. Once everything gets logged online, the GPSr and PDA memories get cleared and refreshed for the next trip. Once every few months I'll back up my GSAK database then start a new one from scratch just to make sure all the archived caches are removed from the database. (It gets old hunting down a cache only to find out it was archived months ago)

I don't do printouts unless there's a multi or puzzle cache where you need to take a lot of notes or fill in the blanks or something. The PDA almost always has everything I need. I also don't keep records. I go to locate the cache, sign the log book, and move on. Spending 20 minutes at a cache site taking pictures, verifying coordinates, recording time/temperature and amount of water consumed on the way isn't why I go caching.

I also found a small program called "Cache Log" for the Palm. It's small and handy for those who have a PDA but don't want to go all the way to paperless (with GSAK and Cachemate, for example).

I don't remember where I found it, but a quick google for "Cache log palm" ought to turn it up. It was completely free, too.

Ooops, just pulled it up on the PDA. Go to www.rjrudy.org to fine Cache Log Book V1.3!

I tried keeping a database of some sort for awhile, but quickly grew tired of it. I have all the tools I need on GC.com to keep track of the caches I've found through this site.

I don't see the need to keep coordinates for caches I've already found in my GPS (not that I actually could do that anyhow). I've already been there; the likelihood of me having to go back is pretty remote (and if I do, hey whaddaya know, the coordinates are still available online!).

I don't see the need to keep coordinates for caches I've already found in my GPS (not that I actually could do that anyhow). I've already been there; the likelihood of me having to go back is pretty remote (and if I do, hey whaddaya know, the coordinates are still available online!).

Except for that pesky puzzle or 8 part multi. :(