Walking Sticks For Geocaching?

TEAM RETRIEVER

I use a fiberglass rake/shovel handle from lowes. I had to shorten it a little bit, but someone taller(I'm about 5'7") shouldn't have to. They also sell shorter ones that might woork for shorter people. I then put a rubber foot from a walker on the bottem and a pieace of heavy string for a hand strap. It is a bit heavy and looks funny but it works great. I have wedged it between rocks and logs and have literally hung my full weight from it many times to get up a really steep hill, and It also floats. Like I said it's a little heavy and it doesn't colapse but I don't have to worry about it ever breaking on me.

Hey deimos44, that's a gorgeous Golden Retriever you've got! The family and I are planning on getting a golden pup within the next year. Gonna be our team mascot and companion (not to mention my pheasant hunting partner)!!! :(

Thank you, he will be 3 in November and he weighs 94 lbs and was the alpha in the litter.

A real handful but a very nice dispsition.

What I would really like is a staff that will light up, like an area of about 100ft, or one that shoots lightening bolts, that would be cool.

I'm using an LL Bean collapsible that I got for Christmas, one of the best gifts I've received in a long time. (That I didn't pick out myself ahead of time)

One issue I'm running into is when buying hiking medallions, Yeah I should get a wooden staff to attach them to, but I'm afraid of losing them on the trail and having a staff just for the medallions kind of makes me think it's a bit 'ceremonial'.

Not to take away from El Diablo, but I ran across some high quality Hickory

sticks. I liked mine so much, I bought one for each of the Texas Vikings for

Christmas. Check for "Wilderness walkers" an ebay store.

Tall (60" ?) hickory, with crutch tip, leather thong, wooden whistle and my name

burned into it... $17.00 I think is what I paid... Really happy with it.

Bosun, one of the Texas Geocachers in Houston makes walking sticks and always

brings a bunch to the events, giving them away... That's where I got my first.

(Thanks, Bosun)

When you get a chance, check out Wilderness walkers....

High quality, fast results. (and No, I don't have any interest in them, other than

it was great to deal with a quality company)

Rick

Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb for how tall a walking stick/staff should be relative to your own height? I seem to recall that ski poles are supposed to come up to your armpits or your knees or something like that. Is there such a standard for walking sticks?

"Whatever size you want," or "whatever feels good," are the obvious replies. I'm asking for a different answer, if there is one.

Seth!

There is a TB 'The Walking Stick' which originally was mine. My wife and I both had walking sticks I had made til on day we both at the same geocache left them in the woods.

Another cacher found one and took it to another cache in the same park and left it

there.

It was the found there by the next geocacher to this cache who took it home, dog tagged it with a TB #.

It is now travelling from cache to cache, ( being placed near the cache) as a travel bug. Each cacher who finds it adds their cacher name to it.

I'm hopin soon to retrieve it and and my name to it.

Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb for how tall a walking stick/staff should be relative to your own height? I seem to recall that ski poles are supposed to come up to your armpits or your knees or something like that. Is there such a standard for walking sticks?

"Whatever size you want," or "whatever feels good," are the obvious replies. I'm asking for a different answer, if there is one.

Seth!

It's been my experience that people like them about shoulder high. I've found that if you take your height and substract 10 inches it will bring it to shoulder height.

El Diablo

Yes, my walking stick is special. My husband cut the aspen himself about 20 years ago from Colorado. He gave it to me as a gift about 15 years ago. I have carved designs on it over the years, painted in two of them, oiled it many times, put fur, leather, beads and bones on it. It also has a Denali medallion on it. It's been hiking in all the western states as well as here in Alaska now. I retired it a few years ago and hung it on my wall as it is getting old and has some cracks on the bottom. But I recently broke it back out as it is like an old friend and I haven't been able to find one that fits me so well.

MeinPack.jpg

That's Denali in the back ground.

Edited by 1stimestar

Seth!

If I recall, correctly, the boys scouts have a way of measuring the height your

hiking staff should be. Check on line for the BSA site.

over here in vermont we have a cacher named lafrog who spends his time not caching making hand carved and decorated walking sticks which he individually numbers and leaves at all caches he visits!! they are one of the most highley desired items around!! i know of some cachers who watch his profile to see when he finds a cache just so they watch for one of his sticks!!! not that I WOULD ever do that lol but dadgum if i didnt find one!!! lol <_<

over here in vermont we have a cacher named lafrog who spends his time not caching making hand carved and decorated walking sticks which he individually numbers and leaves at all caches he visits!! they are one of the most highley desired items around!! i know of some cachers who watch his profile to see when he finds a cache just so they watch for one of his sticks!!! not that I WOULD ever do that lol but dadgum if i didnt find one!!! lol <_<

Please post a pic of it so we can all see the craftsmanship!

T.

When I'm on the move, I use a collapsible pole. For other "normal" hiking, I use a really cool dogwood staff, with a burl at the upper part just below the grip. I'll try to remember to post a pic.

However, I've always aspired to a El Diablo staff, but just never had the funds to do it. I've entered all his contests, but have yet to be so lucky! <_<

I mostly take an old ski pole with me. It is strong and has a pointy end so it is handy for all sorts of stuff. It has even reached in places beyond my reach and grabbed the handle of the ammo can and pulled it out for me. But, recently at our WSGA campout I was presented with my own personalized walking stick, with my name and date of my first cache find burned into it along with my avitar carved into it. It is pretty special. Mr. Gadget#2, our clever cache hider made it for me. I am having it made into a personal TB to track my milage to all caches I find. Thanks Mr. Gadget for such a special gift.

Seeing your pic of Denali reminded me of a recent walking stick gift from my parents while they were vacationing there this summer. Dad picked up a walking stick for me made from "Diamond Willow". The wood is a very light colored but at each side-branch node the darker, inner wood is exposed in the shape of a diamond. I like it alot.

Check out my profile gallery to see pic's of it.

Seeing your pic of Denali reminded me of a recent walking stick gift from my parents while they were vacationing there this summer. Dad picked up a walking stick for me made from "Diamond Willow". The wood is a very light colored but at each side-branch node the darker, inner wood is exposed in the shape of a diamond. I like it alot.

Check out my profile gallery to see pic's of it.

I have a diamond willow one I am working on as a replacement so I can retire my aspen (again) but I've only go as far as peeling it. It's been to Denali too.

2a7fe25f.jpg

IM002237_0123.jpg

This is one my dad had while he lived in the mountains. I inherited it when he died. It's been retired since. While living in the mountains of Colorado he spent his time carving this. The grip part for your fingers is actually monkeys faces. Sorry if this pic comes out too large. I'm new with the posting pics part. The 2nd pic is a shot of an interesting feature for what I'm now working with. I'd be interested if anyone has a name you think might seem fitting. Pm me with it. I haven't started as of yet on it. Just kinda waiting for some ideas to hit.

P9150024Small.jpg

MonkeysMediumSmall.jpg

ummmSmall.jpg

Edited by Warbones