Micros

DnG

Have you noticed that with all the new flavors its getting hard to find the chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Rasberry is good sometimes, like in urban settings where its hard to eat chocolate or vanilla. But too many people are eating rasberry and other flavors. There should be a filter to filter out all the flavors besides chocolate and vanilla so I can find these and not have to see all the other flavors that I don't like. :laughing:

Have you noticed that with all the new flavors its getting hard to find the chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Rasberry is good sometimes, like in urban settings where its hard to eat chocolate or vanilla. But too many people are eating rasberry and other flavors. There should be a filter to filter out all the flavors besides chocolate and vanilla so I can find these and not have to see all the other flavors that I don't like.

However...regardless of your favorite flavor, if it was served to you in a leaky container or cracked cone, dripped all over your hand, and you were not offered a spoon and a napkin... would you still smile? :laughing:

Why does that seem almost always happen everytime I go for the raspberry?

Salvelinus

If micros are so despised, why are there frequently more signatures on their logs than on most non-micros. Clearly they are popular with many geocachers.

There are improperly maintained caches in all size categories; why pick on small containers. I run into this problem more frequently with larger caches than with smaller ones. The most common problem with micros is that the log is full (i.e. the cache's popularity).

I do respect the opinions of those who feel there is a problem; here is my opinion: I have a slight preference for micros because I have no use for any of the used swag that is in most caches. The smaller the container, the greater the challenge. It is the challenge of the hunt that attracts me to geocaching. I enjoy all geocaches, even the ones that some consider lame. I appreciate that someone made the effort to place the cache for us to go find. Given the fact that most geocachers run out of locally available caches, we should not be discouraging caches in any category.

No, apparently we can't.

lol...No offense, but you seem to be the one who is not able to move on. Just don't open the thread and read it if your not interested...or don't want to engage in the discussion anymore.

Salvelinus

Sounds good. Consider it done.

<yawn> This topic is still open? Sounds like the same argument, I mean, discussion that is held every week at this time. The pro's and the con's are always the same.

:laughing:

Your right...its much more constructive to talk about your doggies, overweight cachers and little red flags seen in the woods than to have the occasional civil discussion on cache quality.

Some of you may wish to attend This Event just to get rid of some the "angst". Everyone is welcome!

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

If you want to talk about the fact that all the ice cream tastes bland or that "it was served to you in a leaky container or cracked cone, dripped all over your hand, and you were not offered a spoon and a napkin" then start a topic to discuss that. But I think its silly to single out a flavor just because you don't like that flavor.

The other day, I was out caching and the closest ice cream was raspberry. I don't usually like raspberry. But this raspberry was in a beautiful park on bluff overlooking the ocean. It was hidden in plain sight, but the camouflage was so well done that it took be awhile to spot it. When I did, it was the best ice cream I had eaten in sometime. I saw a lot of logs that said they always have trouble with raspberry and here again did not even get a taste. I realize that raspberry can be frustrating to some people. If they would have taken a little more time they might have enjoyed this raspberry. :laughing:

It's true there should be caches for all sort of people...some who like the long hike thru lovely scenery, to the ones who love Walmart parking lots. My gripe is primarily with the sheer volume of the lame micros. They have overrun my area. I had to turn off the new cache insta-notify feature because I was tired of getting a multitude of new micro alerts. It's out of hand...

People are so quick to dismiss these legitimate complaints here...it's sad.

<yawn> This topic is still open? Sounds like the same argument, I mean, discussion that is held every week at this time. The pro's and the con's are always the same.

Your right...its much more constructive to talk about your doggies, overweight cachers and little red flags seen in the woods than to have the occasional civil discussion on cache quality.

Some of you may wish to attend This Event just to get rid of some the "angst". Everyone is welcome!

Salvelinus

I'm going!

The OP will probably be the supplier of leaky film canisters. :lol:

. . . And to steal someone else's line, I've not met a cache I didn't like either. ... even those I didn't find. :rolleyes:

:P

I almost completely agree. Some of my DNFs have been fun, or educational, however there is one cache that I really didn't like. And it was a big cache. It was hidden in a difficult-to-access dead-end suburban alley. The cache was camouflaged by an icky black plastic bag, and I got a flat tire turning around after I found the cache. :P

I'll take a micro any day over finding a cache like that again.

This was a fun micro I found yesterday:

BlueSkyCache_637.jpg

Before anyone disparages its placement, it was in the parking area for an Ecological Preserve where there were hiking trails. :P Since it was almost 100 degrees yesterday, all we really wanted to look for were easy-to-access micros . . . :P

You can already do this via Ignore Lists and Pocket Queries - what more are you asking for?

(That's a serious question)

I don't think OP has responded to this comment. Since you are a premium member these filters are available to you.

Is there something more you are asking for? Or did this post give you something helpful that solves your concern?

I'll take a well camo'd micro in a parking lot over a easy to find ammo can in the woods anyday.

I'll take a easy to find ammo can in the woods over a well camo'd micro in a parking lot anyday. I enjoy the hikes.

Ditto. I go geocaching to get *away* from the Walmarts and Home Depots.

I'd take a well-camoed micro in a nice area over a regular container thrown off the side of a road. For me, it's a matter of balance. I usually read the logs and description before I go on a hunt. I've found lame parking lot micros that I wish I hadn't wasted my time on. I have also found micros that were some of the best times I had..because they were well thought out :rolleyes:. I've found regular caches that were awesome because they took me down some awesome trails, or to some of the most spectacular views I've ever seen. I've also found a regular cache that the high point was...well...there was a dirt road there and a field... :P

I've read these repeated "micros are lame get them out of my filter" vs. "micros are cool, leave them alone" threads many times. Here's a thought: how about a voting system similar to what Waymarking has. When you post a found log, you can also rate the cache on, say, a 1-5 scale. Then a new filter can be created where you can filter out the ones with lower ratings. I bet a lot of the parking lot micros would disappear off your list, while preserving those really awesome ones you don't want to miss!

:P We also need to add a new cache type: Frozen. Of course, it would have micro (kid's scoop), small, medium and large sizes and chocolate, vanilla and raspberry flavors. Sorry, I think strawberry is lame, so we shouldn't add it. :P

Here's a thought: how about a voting system similar to what Waymarking has. When you post a found log, you can also rate the cache on, say, a 1-5 scale.

It's been dicussed many, many, (did I say many?), many times.

How come it's pronounced like 'mini' ('me-nE) instead of man-y or ma-ny? I mean it's an 'a' for crying out loud for the sake of Pete.

:cry: I'm really upset that everyone doesn't like strawberry....there goes the perfect Geo community..... :laughing:

:cry: Strawberries suck...there's too many of them out there...I've seen some gardens with strawberries that are overgrown with weeds...the strawberries were green and nasty...therefore, all strawberries suck.

I don't care if there's delicious, ripe, juicy strawberries out there...the ones that taste bad ruin it all for me. :cry:

(Standard disclaimer here - this is for irony, I really love strawberries!) :cry:

I am a new cacher, have never found a micro, and have only found a half dozen caches. you may ignor this log.

Fact: I would gladly hunt a micro.

Fact: If someone foun a lame micro they would either be motivated to hide a better one, or they would go to the forums and whine a lot.

Fact: If someone read a forum bashing micros they would think all micros are lame, thus causing many perfectly good caches to be shunned.

Fact: The above fact would ruin the sport for many people.

Fact: If micro haters would keep their opinion to themselves, it would make the game more fun.

Fact: If the game was more fun more people would get involved.

Fact: If more people cached, there would be more new ideas for how to make the game better.

Fact: I think however started this forum should lock it.

Fact: I like chocolate cookidough ice-cream :laughing:

Fact: If micro haters would keep their opinion to themselves, it would make the game more fun.

Fact: this is your opinion!

Fact: My opinion is that way less lame micros would make the game more fun. But that is just MY opinion.

Fact: Griping about the proliferation of lame caches (that tend to be micros) is intended to improve the sport overall.

Please quit whining about our whining... that is what this whole forum thing is all about!

In penance for placing a lame micro (lift-up base of lamp post type) two days ago, I just read this whole thread :laughing: I really placed it only to annoy our cache approver ( I happen to know our cache approver well. I first became acquainted with her months before she was born :cry: )

The cache was listed yesterday and was immediately logged by five people, mostly relatively new cachers, and all of them seemed to enjoy it because they had not seen this particular style of Urban Micro previously. We have few lamp posts of this variety locally. Of course now many of the ones we do have will sprout micro caches.

Solution? :cry: - try to be unique in your vicinity even if it's old stuff elsewhere.

I'm off to find some ice cream (chocolate - never strawberry) and ponder all this.

NevaP

Fact: Of course it's my opinion, if it were someone else's I wouldn't have posted it.

Fact: You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but I like mine better.

Fact: both our posts are economical. If I hadn't posted you wouldn't have, we're making the forums exist.

Fact: it is MY opinion that if you find a lame micro you should say you didn't like it in your log and leave it at that.

Fact: I said you could ignor my log in the first place. if you don't like the opinions expresed in it it's your own fault for reading it.

Fact: The "Fact" thing was my idea :laughing: .

Edited by Maniac000

Please keep the discussion on the topic of micros. Also, these discussions tend to get heated from time to time, so understand that opinions vary.

Some forum guidelines that should be noted based on some of the last few posts in this thread:

n general we will leave it to you the community, to police yourselves. Treat others with respect. Remember that this is a public venue read by many people spanning all walks of life.

[...]

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

[...]

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

[...]

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

[...]

Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

If you'd like to read the rest, the forum guidelines can be found here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Are you still here? Go get me a sandwich.

This is a quote from George Foreman, the boxer, to his opponent at a news conference just before a fight. It is one of my all time favorite lines. I use it here in reference to this thread.

Oh, on topic....Micros are fine. Regular caches are fine. Everything is fine.

Micros are fine. Regular caches are fine. Everything is fine.

Is this where we sing kumbaya and toast marshmallows?

I like both micros and regular caches. I dont like caches in trashy areas. I like caches that are interesting, or in interesting areas. I really like whimsical caches. If a cache doesnt appeal to me, I can ignore it without major angst. I wish others could ignore micros if it bugs them, for those of us who enjoy them.

Some of you may wish to attend This Event just to get rid of some the "angst".  Everyone is welcome!

And some may choose to make a counter-statement as their response to the angst created by nattering negativists. :ph34r:

I find it a stretch to say that "everyone is welcome," but hey, anyone is entitled to an opinion and I will respect others' rights to theirs.

Hmmmm? I always though those who prefer all kinds of caches didn't have any spite? I guess I was wrong.

I do understand what you mean about not feeling welcome. I always felt the same way about those cache machine events. But, I always respected their right to have their kind of fun as well.

Salvelinus

If micro haters would keep their opinion to themselves, it would make the game more fun.

Hmmm...you know this statement is really pissing me off.

I don't hate micros, but i would much rather hike. I have found some micros, in fact i might be finding one today, i haven't decided yet. I like micros in a good location, good location being defined as a park, a creek, a rock formation, etc. The one i'm going for today is a cipher which is hidden a very pretty and historical park. I do not care for micros in the home depot parking lot.

Now...

There's been "if you don't like them don't hunt them"

There's been "put it on your ignore list"

NOW there's "if micro haters would keep their opinion to themselves, it would make the game more fun"

I just want to thank everyone for telling me how to dominate my time, and opinion on the GC website.

Here's an idea , why don't y'all take responsibility for your hides and stop scapegoating with liberalism.

With all this talk of ice cream I just realized that I much prefer larger containers to smaller ones, if something of value is placed in them for me to enjoy. That's pretty rare in geocaching, isn't it?

But with small containers if ice creme you get more chances to try a new flavor.

I think traveling caches should be started up again. Then I could set on up that can only be placed on ice creme stores.

recently there was a cacher that came through this area and lamented on the fact that all the caches he tried were micros. The odd thing about that was all the caches he looked for were in urban and open parks where larger caches would be quickly muggled. There are quite a few larger caches in the area, all the way up to a 5 gallon bucket, but they are for the most part more appropriatly placed in forested lands or state open spaces. As a general rule, the more muggle active a place is, the more likely a cache will be a micro, so it stands that if you prefer the larger caches, you would concentrate your hunts to places in the more rural areas.

Its by no means a guarantee, but it just seemed like he was specifically targetting areas where micros would be more common and lamenting about the fact that he was finding exactly what would have been expected.

Here's a thought: how about a voting system similar to what Waymarking has. When you post a found log, you can also rate the cache on, say, a 1-5 scale.

It's been dicussed many, many, (did I say many?), many times.

How come it's pronounced like 'mini' ('me-nE) instead of man-y or ma-ny? I mean it's an 'a' for crying out loud for the sake of Pete.

Pronunciation: 'me-nE

Function: adjective

It isn't pronounced "mini"

The "me" part in the pronounciation sounds like "meh" as in bleh

Go here and you can hear it pronounced. http://www.miriamwebster.com/

Strawberry ice cream rocks -- IF you make it yourself. :ph34r:

Edited by thrak
Micros are fine. Regular caches are fine. Everything is fine.

Is this where we sing kumbaya and toast marshmallows?

I like both micros and regular caches. I dont like caches in trashy areas. I like caches that are interesting, or in interesting areas. I really like whimsical caches. If a cache doesnt appeal to me, I can ignore it without major angst. I wish others could ignore micros if it bugs them, for those of us who enjoy them.

I'm like you, I like finding any size cache but I hate trashy areas. But you have to think about it, the hider of the cache might live near the cache and doesn't consider it to be a trashy area just because they're used to it.

One thing I notice through out the world about people sure applys here. When some one (or a group of people) don't like something they feel compelled to legislate others on it.

If you don't like micros, don't hunt them! Sometimes, I'm into a off the trail hunt for a good ammo can, but other times I enjoy a simple micro. If I don't want to hunt something I simply don't. I'll never tell some one that they can't do something just because I choose not to do it my self. No one's making you hunt micros. Don't try to make me NOT hunt them by outlawing them.

One of the most creative hides I've seen and loved finding was L.M.N.O.P. by FlyinV (GCJF77). This was a very creative cache that was about the size of 2 asprin stacked on top of each other. Now, THAT'S what I call a micro. :lol: I would have never been able to enjoy this cache if micros were outlaw'd

One thing I notice through out the world about people sure applys here. When some one (or a group of people) don't like something they feel compelled to legislate others on it.

If you don't like micros, don't hunt them!

That response is getting old. As I've mentioned before, in some areas if you don't like micros you don't go geocaching because that's all it is.

And I don't think anybody (beyond a very small minority) is looking to "legislate" micros out of exixtence. They're looking to educate and let people know that these junk caches are not appreciated by a large segment of geocachers.

I'd take a well-camoed micro in a nice area over a regular container thrown off the side of a road. For me, it's a matter of balance.

The real issue here is junk caches, not micros. I doubt many of the so-called "micro haters" would complain about a well camoed micro in a nice area. Its the caches in Wal-Mart parking lots, behind 7-Eleven dumpsters and on highway guardrails that generate most of the complaints. The caches that are there for no reason other than the owner wants to jack up his hide total.

Sure there are junk regular caches. Lots of them. But generally speaking, micros are the the preffered hide of the lazy cache hider. All they need is a leaky film canister, a strip of paper torn from a notebook (some can't even be bothered to use scissors) and a guardrail and they have a cache.

I've found probably close to 100 micros and I can think of maybe 5 that were worth the ink I used to sign the log. On the other hand, I've found nearly 300 regular sized caches and maybe 30-40 of them could be classified as a "junk cache".

And I don't think anybody (beyond a very small minority) is looking to "legislate" micros out of exixtence. They're looking to educate and let people know that these junk caches are not appreciated by a large segment of geocachers.

Has a survey been done to support the statement that "large segment of geocachers" don't like micros? I've found good and bad of all types. The cachers I know (a small circle I know) have no problems whatsoever about a micro. So I'm just wondering where that "large segment" is? Perhaps it's regional.

Has a survey been done to support the statement that "large segment of geocachers" don't like micros? I've found good and bad of all types. The cachers I know (a small circle I know) have no problems whatsoever about a micro. So I'm just wondering where that "large segment" is? Perhaps it's regional.

Do a forum serarch on micro and you'll find there are many people who dislike these trash caches. Hey even if its only 25 percent of geocachers, its still a "large segment", though at least from all the cachers I've met its probably closer to 70 or 80 percent.