Amusing Log Entries

This one taken from gc6168 "The three trolls" amused me!

December 24, 2002 by SimonG (91 found)

[boy, this was hard!

I found the first set of co-ords easily enough, though my feet got very wet. When I found the co-ords I realised I needn't have got wet at all if I'd approached from the other direction.

I then set off in search of the next co-ords, but I wasn't quite sure which side of the river I needed to be on. I think I made the wrong choice, and ended up stomping through fields with hedgerows and tributaries of the river between them. On one occasion the only way I could cross the tributary was to climb a tree and jump. Surprisingly, this was successful.

Finally, I arrived in the vicinity of the second co-ords. From other people's logs, I don't think it's usually this wet. The river was wide, and the area around it pretty marshy. I waded to the troll's home and read the instructions. 'Enter his Hidy Hole and look downstream'. There was no way I could enter his Hidy Hole without getting submersed up to my ankles, and I can never remember which is downstream and which upstream. I called my mum, who told me. 'I'm 99% certain,' she said. I felt like I was on a cross between Treasure Hunt and Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.

It was starting to get dark now, so I decrypted the clue.] 'inside the hole in the willow tree' [it said. I could see the] willow tree [in question, and it was way out in the middle of the river. But I wasn't prepared to give up now, and my feet were so wet it didn't matter any more. I decided to wade out to it.

So I started to wade into the river when suddenly the floor dropped away beneath me. I'm now *swimming*, in cold, muddy water, on Christmas Eve, my GPSr, wallet and phone in my pockets (zipped up, thankfully). And I completely ignored the advice about waterproof shoes. This was not too good.

See my next log for the end of the story - the system wouldn't let me enter a single log this long.]

December 24, 2002 by SimonG (91 found)

[This is a continuation of my last log. It seems the system can't handle a log this long.

I managed to pull myself back into the shallower water and waded back to dry land. I was now soaked from head to foot. I removed everything from my pockets and laid them down to dry on the ground. Fortunately there was a cool breeze blowing at the time. While I waited for them to dry, I decided to try approaching the co-ords from the other direction - that way, I could tell, the river was never very deep.

A few minutes later, there I was, crouched in an] alcove under a willow tree [in a river up to my ankles. I could see the co-ordinates, but my only paper - the cache printout - was completely drenched, and I'd left in on land to dry. I had brought my pen with me, and intended to write the co-ords on the back of my hand - but my hands were still wet, and I had nothing to dry them on. I needed to find a part of my body that was dry enough to write on.

I opened my coat, pulled up my jumper and unbuttoned my shirt. My stomach was dry! I could write on that! But the pen had gotten such a soaking that it didn't want to write. So I had to wade back to dry land, chanting the lat and long to myself so I didn't forget them. I was then able to enter them into the GPSr and head for the final destination.

I had great difficulty finding my way back to the village - every way I turned was either a dead end or private property - and with my clothes clinging wetly to my body I was in no position to be furtive. I had to backtrack until I found a road.

By the time I got near the final waypoint it was totally dark. Fortunately - and much to my surprise - my torch still worked, so I could see where I was going. I found a footpath sign which seemed to be pointing straight at it, so this was obviously the way to go. But there was something very odd about it - though there were clear public footpath signs pointing into this field, there was an electric fence which one had to cross to get in. I know it was electric because I climbed over it, electrocuting my testicles. This can't be right, I thought - I must have gone the wrong way. So I climbed over it again, electrocuting my testicles again. I re-examined the sign: it was very clear. This was the way to go.

So I entered the field again. This time I crawled under the electric fence (I'm not *that* stupid), and followed the arrow to the final WP. Soon I reached the other end of the field, and another electric fence. I crawled under this one too, and after a little hunting (and decrypting the clue) found the cache. Hoorah! It was all worthwhile!

I took nothing and left nothing - by now I think all my booty nuggets were in no condition to leave. I signed the log and took a photo, and put the cache back where it came from. Great location, by the way!

I managed to get back to the car without being electrocuted again, happy to have accomplished my mission - though I'm a bit worried about my phone. I don't think it's designed to get that wet.

And I thought *Santa* had got a tough evening...]

[view this log on a separate page]

Hi,

That was so funny, I cant stop laughing. I thought I got up to no good but that beats them all. Then again I dont know about your Doing Time log Steviep thats good too.

Yorkypudding.

oh yes this one!

May 17 by steviep (403 found)

I am staying in a caravan only 2.5 miles away (as the crow flies) I plotted my course resulting in a little over an 8 mile walk to the cache.

I got a tide table which said low tide was at 17.29hrs today (TIDE TIMES CHANGE DAILY), to double check I went into the tourist information centre as I passed in Filey, and yes everything was still the same, but I was 3hrs early & only 1 mile to go to complete my mission.

Ah well! I walked along the cliff bottom as the tide dropped, I got as near as 467` but it was impossible to get any closer so I took some photo's of the waves crashing against the rocks thinking to my self that old saying "time & tide wait for no man" & I'm stuck here waiting for the tide to go out just to count a few bolt’s.

Inching my way along as the time passed by with the odd wave smashing against the rocks, I’m now down to 167` from the location.

Ah! here comes a big wave I'll take a photo of this one then I'll quickly count the bolts before the next big one comes, BUT it was a bit bigger than I thought, (see "THE BIG ONE") & it hit the rocks with tremendous force & shoot up into the air (snap) then down it came on ME, I just stood there taking the full impact hoping I could hold my stance which luckily I did, then as the sea ran over the rocks which I was stood on, I was just short of knee high in sea water & completely soaked and only 13` from the cache, but could I not see it for the water then the sea settled & the hatch was in clear view, so I quickly counted the bolts then retreated to where I'd left my rucksack I then sat & emptied my boots & like many other walkers I always carry a spare pair of socks so I got as dry as I could then walked back to base for a hot shower.

Thanks for the cache it made a very pleasant afternoon's walk?

Cheers

Steve

and another I enjoyed!

November 9, 2004 by steviep (403 found)

now the mud is every where (you did say it could be muddy after rain, you did not say it would be muddy while it was raining ).

what a brill clue you gave (i'm just the right age for it),you know the wetter i get the more i enjoy my self and with the bonus of the mud it's a great feeling just as i'm on my way down to you know where guess what?

yes you got it! i slipped all the way to the end and am now sitting up to my wedding tackle in water, now it is everywhere,a passing thought i would like to share which went through my mind while i was sitting there "is it to late to put my water proofs on now" any way i stood up and the cache location was standing out like a sore thumb, i filled in the log and carefully placed it back in situ.

this must be the best hidy hole i've seen yet.

thanks for placing the series and getting me past 150,now on to 200 hope you place more like this.

p.s another virgin cache deflowered by me

cheers

steve

This one made us chuckle!...

More a "Didn't even look for it" really as it was so busy here today. Every time one lot of visitors went another lot arrived. I eventually gave up when 3 artists arrived and set up their easels to paint the castle. It was a shame as this was the only failure out of 14 today. I will return......

(It was a log by spannerman for our Lydford Castle cache).

Logs by Alibags usually make me chuckle. Perhaps it's just the logs that I happen to read, but she always seems to be falling over / attacked by horses / upto her waist in mud / nettles.

I really laughed at the three trolls log - especially the electric fence!

Edit: Oh, I forgot about the nettles! ;)

Edited by NickPick

There's a wonderful log in Compare/Contrast GCKXRN, 17th May 2005 where Milothedog and owner end up abseiling over a cliff in south Wales...such dedication to Geocaching should be recognised! Read it and weep... :laughing: Unfortunately, it's just too long to quote in full, but a great saga, none the less.

Edited by The Blorenges

We liked this one for our cache.

‘Spindlewood’ were unable to find this cache due to a chap on a mini tractor cutting and removing bracken from exactly on the cache location. Posing as a couple interested in the fungi of this area, we surreptitiously scoured the most likely hiding places, under the quizzical gaze of the bracken cutter, but were unable to locate anything resembling a potential cache hideout. Finally wilting under our observers suspicious glances, he obviously thought that we were a pair of old fruitcakes on a day trip to the countryside; we reluctantly aborted our first attempt of the day and retreated rapidly before the men in white coats appeared to take us away!

Edited by HollyBankHunters

I enjoyed this log from Stonefisk whilst he was doing Gowenhouse's Horningsham cache.

I set off for this cache just after "AdamsHome" made his log so I knew I was not going to be FTF.

I see that the final coords did not declare the cache location but instead where an indicator of the path to take. Never less I ignored that and continued up the hill until I found myself on the border of Heavens Gate. Here, based on the clue information, I found a likely location of the cache. So I set about sticking my hands into holes and feeling about for a gowenhouse pot...

I wonder what the party of small school children made of the blood curding scream that echoed around the valley as I gripped hold of a very large squishy wriggling toad. I thought it was snake. A close adder encounter is my worst geocaching nightmare.

No cache to be found there.

So I made my way back towards the coords to meet with the correct path that I knew I should have followed in first place. I soon located exactly what is stated in the clue.

But still didn't find the cache.

Fun trip anyway.

I hope Stonefisk has recovered from his ordeal <_<

This one was a typo I spotted from "View from Coombe Hill (GC171)" but made me smile...(It's also a bit rude, so turn away now if you don't approve)

August 15 by Dan. (659 found)

Was out walking the dog with my new g/f Lorna today and I decided it was time to introduce her to Lunch box hunting ;) Think she was a little suprised when I came out of the bushes holding a large plastic container! Log book totally full so we just left our names with the green pencil, no pen anymore. I'm sure I'll be back up her soon so If no one else does it first i'll put a new notebook and pen inside. Cache is in good condition and still water tight, amazing since it's so old! This was my 5th visit here! cheers, Dan.

This one was a typo I spotted from "View from Coombe Hill (GC171)" but made me smile...(It's also a bit rude, so turn away now if you don't approve)

August 15 by Dan. (659 found)

Was out walking the dog with my new g/f Lorna today and I decided it was time to introduce her to Lunch box hunting :o Think she was a little suprised when I came out of the bushes holding a large plastic container! Log book totally full so we just left our names with the green pencil, no pen anymore. I'm sure I'll be back up her soon so If no one else does it first i'll put a new notebook and pen inside. Cache is in good condition and still water tight, amazing since it's so old! This was my 5th visit here! cheers, Dan.

The spelling error near the end of the log had me chuckling, but then I've got a dirty mind :huh:

This gave me a wry smile...July 28 by prh514

First cache ever, took the kids, one loved it, one will never come with me again if I have anything to do with it. Great location!

From "A Day at the Races" (Chepstow)

I thought those few choice words captured the scenario beautifully... but obviously prh was not totally disenchanted as they've gone on to find more...

Mrs B

Spotted this one on Swinley Forests rail Fence (or something like that) entered by SP - ably assisted by Alibags:

September 3 by Simply Paul (510 found)

Without giving too much away about this one, I was poking about some 100+ feet away when Ali, empowered with the clue, called that she'd found the box. I returned to find her looking through the good sized box. I might have dropped off a candle here. Or it might have been somewhere else. I didn't take anything though, that's for sure. Thanks for another interesting one - and thanks to Alibags for doing the brain work to get us here.

SP

P.S. I'm sure it wasn't here where Ali found the blue 'pink things' but wherever it was, she did swap rubbers for them.

I was under the impression that Alibags was NOT that sort of gal!! ;)

This one from a now archived cache - Tithe Barn GCFE7A. Jon of the Dewdrops and MarcoXono out together on a caching expedition ...

2nd of 7 with MarcoXono today.

Came here from The Chapel at No.38, a short and pleasant walk away.

We approached the area to be confronted by the ol' cacher's nightmare... dog walkers!

We pretended to be bird watchers, nature lovers or whatever. Chose the moment and dived into the bushes... gad this sounds awful

0945 hrs - located after a brief search of the area.

TNLNSL. The log is full.

We procrastinated on the way out, as there were now even more people hanging around!

Eventually we walked out boldly as possible, only to be observed by an elderly chap who must have wondered what on earth we were doing in the bushes...

On the way to the next cache we came across 'five tasty cookies' - what a pleasant family they were too...

PS. I have a feeling I am going to regret this log

TFTC - excellent.

Jon

Just had to include this one,

The kids were all at there dads yesterday so I took my boyfriend with me to show him how to do a catch. He yused to work for the phone people but he didnt know what you were on about with the phone kiosk thing. Think it’s a bit hard to work out but my brother found it on the computer for me. It took ages to find and he was well fed up and said he wouldnt come with us Took us ages to find the phone box too cos somebody has painted it the wrong culor.

We got the numbers from the phone and tried to work out where to go but we didn’t have a map with us so we asked sum people in the garden where there was a walk with parking and they told us where to go.

It took ages to walk up the hill and Jase kept having to stop. It took him about 2 hours to walk all the way up. He kept trying me to go off in the trees with him too but it was to wet for that and i had my new coat on and i didnt want it to get ruind so I kept sayin know. It took us ages to find the cash as well. It wasn’t near the path we were on and we coodnt see where we were ment to go to. Jase found the way when he went into the trees for a pee and got me to go too. I coodint manige to open the box but Jase worked it out for me. There was loads of money in there so jase took some of it to pay for his petrol I only had my handbag with me so I left some sticky plasters and an old lipstick I hope thats ok becose I dont relly know what stuff you are ment to leave in cashes.

It was a good cash anyway so thanks

I think that this one speaks for it's self!! This has certainly given me a laugh or two.

This one just in. I'm now thinking that the logs by this person are a wind up! I won't disclose who is writing them but I almost choked on my lunch at this one.

I must get out more!! :huh:

t was a loveley day today so I came heer to the beech with Danty and Ed and the kids. Me and Danty left the kids with Ed and we went to look for the cash. I didint no that there was still people getting drowind cos they was whiches. Theyre wasn’t anybody getting drownd today though.Danty found the cash then we went and stayd in the sand dyuns for a bit cos theyr wasn’t any peeple there. Their was too much sand tho and it got evrywhere and I really hurt after. I got to go to the doctors this afternoon now. You team clover people are as bad as the perth roadfinders cos they have dangirus plants beside theyr cashes

There are others but i'll hold off putting them here... for now!

This one just in. I'm now thinking that the logs by this person are a wind up! I won't disclose who is writing them but I almost choked on my lunch at this one.

I must get out more!! :huh:

t was a loveley day today so I came heer to the beech with Danty and Ed and the kids. Me and Danty left the kids with Ed and we went to look for the cash. I didint no that there was still people getting drowind cos they was whiches. Theyre wasn’t anybody getting drownd today though.Danty found the cash then we went and stayd in the sand dyuns for a bit cos theyr wasn’t any peeple there. Their was too much sand tho and it got evrywhere and I really hurt after. I got to go to the doctors this afternoon now. You team clover people are as bad as the perth roadfinders cos they have dangirus plants beside theyr cashes

There are others but i'll hold off putting them here... for now!

me thinks :D someone is pulling the wool over your eyes, or at least pulling sommat ;)

B. :D

I liked this one (perhaps someone should tell them about trigpoints?)

Walked up to the cache and it was easy to find but i didnt want a swap. Then rested a bit at the concreat block on the top of the hill but it started getting dull so had to go before rain came. I wonder why anybody would carry a lump of concreat up a hill, makes a good lookout point though.

I got this one in a new multi I placed. It follows a walking/biking path in a loop around our town. I put that "You can choose to drive (approx 11 miles total) or walk/bike (approx 10 miles total) to each waypoint." i.e., every waypoint is near a parking area on the trail. Then I get this log (note: "the Loop" refers to the trail you walk or bike on:

:huh::D;)

I chose to drive between cache points as I'm lazy. I found the people on the Loop to be a little mean though. They were waving their fists at me and making some pretty rude gestures in my direction. I honked my horn when I came up behind them, I used my turn signals, and I never went over 50 miles per hour so I don't know what their problem was.

Maybe I should have been more specific about where to drive! :D

Ha Ha! Just logged my DNF on the Three Trolls when I saw this thread! That is just one evil cache, but it was enjoyable, if not interesting at times. What that cache site did to my legs however...

Alibags is fun to be with, although the last one I went with her to involved groveling under a van to retrive a huge cache in a suitcase. I got covered in mud and engine oil, Alibags who was sitting in her car laughed...

Came across this one today.

Found the clue just fine and proceeded in to find Tweedledee!

Well we found more than we bargained for here!

WARNING! DO NOT DO THIS CACHE ALONE! GROUPS OF 3 OR MORE ARE RECOMENDED!

There are a lot of young and middle aged men in this wooded area and they were not fully clothed.

BE CAREFULL.

After finding cache we were approached by a very large man wondering what we were doing so we didn't have time to sign. Re hid and took off.

Wierd!

We've seen some strange things in Canada but nothing as weird as this.

Lots of other strange comments on the logs. Can be found at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c9-ec162a6e7746

derrylynne wrote:

Came across this one today.

Found the clue just fine and proceeded in to find Tweedledee!

Well we found more than we bargained for here!

WARNING! DO NOT DO THIS CACHE ALONE! GROUPS OF 3 OR MORE ARE RECOMENDED!

There are a lot of young and middle aged men in this wooded area and they were not fully clothed.

I used to know that area well twenty years ago and more. The bend in the road round the wood was known locally as Perverts' Corner. It seems some things never change... :blink: