Geocahing.com Bogging Down?

GeoLobo

With in the last couple weeks, I have noticed a real bog down when it comes

to logging my cache finds on GeoCahing.com . Most of the time, it just takes forever to be able to go to a page on GeoCaching.com - however, sometimes, i even get Server errors.

When you have 10 or more caches to log, i find it is now taking me better

than an hour to do so.... this is getting out of hand.

Are you having issues there? AND/OR too many members utilizing the server to

log their finds? WHAT IS GOING ON?

EXAMPLE: Sever error

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +45

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +5

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSet(String sql, Database database, Int32 Timeout) +209

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlPocketQueryController.GetQueryResultsData(String Query) +13

Groundspeak.Web.PocketQueries.GeocacheQuery.ReturnResultList() +56

Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.GetResultList() +302

Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.GenerateResults(Guid FromGUID, String ByKeyword) +79

Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.Location_KeywordLoaded(Object sender, EventArgs e) +434

Geocaching.LocationPanel.btnLocale_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1827

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +58

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

OK! Everybody STOP until I'm finished! :o

Seriously, although timely logging IS important, you might have to wait until a less-popular hour of the day to log your finds. If you have to wait too long for the page to load, or get errors, go do something else for a while. An hour or two can make all the difference.

Maybe you're right, I think I'll go do a new hobby and check back in a month or so. If Amazon.com was this slow, how long do you think it would stay in business?

It's not an occasional problem, it's a continuous problem. Every time I've tried to access the site (not the forums) in the last several weeks it has been slower than when we were using Dial-up! :o

They say they know about it, fine. How about fixing it? When all else fails, ask for help.

John

I only see the problem on Sundays.

To be honest - for $3.00/month I don't think anybody can say that we don't get what WEAY more than what we pay for. Yes the site can be slow sometimes, but so can my Yahoo/Gmail accounts.

With all the activity this site gets (forums, image serving, database pings, etc.) I'd say that it performs pretty well (Sundays excepted).

If it's being weorked on - that's good enough for me.

It is a Sunday (and sometimes Saturday) thing. Many people are logging then and that clogs things up. Personally I wait until Monday. I figure my cache finds won't go away, so waiting to log is no biggie. Would I like to see it fixed? Sure, but I can also wait while they work on it. :(

Hi all,

Sunday afternoons get slow here. As the weather warms up, Saturday afternoons get slow as well. Cachers are checking in and logging like mad on the weekends.

Sizing for webtraffic is more difficult than for telecommunication systems. With a phone system, you size for P01, or P001 grade of service (block 1%, .1%, etc) of the peak hour/peak day calls. The web is different- people are uploading logs and photos, downloading cache pages and photos, HANGING out in the forums, and etc. It's all bandwidth intensive, not easy to predict, and expensive.

Tracy and I dropped $30 for the year, but that doesn't cover much of anything. The folks here have done a great job at keeping Jeremy's promise of keeping the basic services of this site available, for free, while introducing new features.

Frankly, the slow times on Sundays are annoying, but as Kealia mentioned, other sites get slow too. If TPTB are working on it, I willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and time to fix it.

I only see the problem on Sundays.

To be honest - for $3.00/month I don't think anybody can say that we don't get what WEAY more than what we pay for. Yes the site can be slow sometimes, but so can my Yahoo/Gmail accounts.

With all the activity this site gets (forums, image serving, database pings, etc.) I'd say that it performs pretty well (Sundays excepted).

If it's being weorked on - that's good enough for me.

What is a 'database ping'?

Hi all,

Sunday afternoons get slow here. As the weather warms up, Saturday afternoons get slow as well. Cachers are checking in and logging like mad on the weekends.

Sizing for webtraffic is more difficult than for telecommunication systems. With a phone system, you size for P01, or P001 grade of service (block 1%, .1%, etc) of the peak hour/peak day calls. The web is different- people are uploading logs and photos, downloading cache pages and photos, HANGING out in the forums, and etc. It's all bandwidth intensive, not easy to predict, and expensive.

Tracy and I dropped $30 for the year, but that doesn't cover much of anything. The folks here have done a great job at keeping Jeremy's promise of keeping the basic services of this site available, for free, while introducing new features.

Frankly, the slow times on Sundays are annoying, but as Kealia mentioned, other sites get slow too. If TPTB are working on it, I willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and time to fix it.

Who or what is TPTB?

WHERE IS MY STICK. I guess we got to beat this DEAD horsa again. And Amazon.com is a profit business. Just go do something else do it the next morning. And NO it is not important to tell the world what ever you feel is so important with a cache.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cheers

It would be nice to have an official "update" on if/when things would get better. I signed up for a premium membership on a monthly basis hoping that my $3 a month would help with improvements and if it didn't get better I would go back to being a non-paying member.

It has only gotten worse though the last few months so obviously people are frustrated. When we pay for something we want to be able to use it when we want to not when it is convienient for the system.

The whole "work around it" argument is getting old. :lol:

Edited by Kenr74
It would be nice to have an official "update" on when if/when things would get better. I signed up for a premium membership on a monthly basis hoping that my $3 a month would help with improvements and if it didn't get better I would go back to being a non-paying member.

It has only gotten worse though the last few months so obviously people are frustrated. When we pay for something we want to be able to use it when we want to not when it is convienient for the system.

The whole "work around it" argument is getting old. :lol:

Getting worse has to do with the amount of caching in warmer weather.

It would be nice to have an official "update" on if/when things would get better.

A thread like this is started pretty much every weekend lately. Jeremy doesn't respond to each and every post about site performance. When he does, it's usually in the Geocaching.com forum which he monitors more closely. If you read through the threads there for his posts you will learn more about the ongoing efforts to improve response time and reduce database bottlenecks. Major upgrades are usually described in the "Announcements" forum which is up at the top of the page but often overlooked.

In a nutshell, changes to improve site performance are made regularly. But site traffic continues to increase, and at times the traffic growth is ahead of the site design. When the site design gets ahead through major changes, the volume of complaint threads drops until traffic growth catches up. :lol:

OK! Everybody STOP until I'm finished! :lol:

Seriously, although timely logging IS important, you might have to wait until a less-popular hour of the day to log your finds. If you have to wait too long for the page to load, or get errors, go do something else for a while. An hour or two can make all the difference.

Maybe you're right, I think I'll go do a new hobby and check back in a month or so. If Amazon.com was this slow, how long do you think it would stay in business?

It's not an occasional problem, it's a continuous problem. Every time I've tried to access the site (not the forums) in the last several weeks it has been slower than when we were using Dial-up! :lol:

They say they know about it, fine. How about fixing it? When all else fails, ask for help.

John

Once again, tell me what you want us to say and I'll say it to save you the angst of not hearing it. Now then, it doesn't matter what site you're on, if you're on it during a peak usage time and 5000 other people are using it, it's going to be a heck of a lot slower than if you're on it by yourself. Either take your time and wait out the delay or log your caches when you know it's not such a peak time.

*sigh* This whole thread - no matter who starts it - is a bit silly... It's like sitting down at Cracker Barrel for food at 10:42 and they tell you that the potato soup won't be ready until 11 but you decide to have the soup anyway and then get mad because it takes so long to get it to you, or the potatoes aren't quite as tender as they could have been because of your impatience.

Yes, I agree. My experience has been similar. Especially on weekends and Sunday nights!! I think the latest 'improvements' to the site may have added some functions which consume more horsepower and consequently slow things down on the processing/throughput from the GC.com server environment. Has anyone heard any comments/replies from the tech side of GC.com?

:lol:

Yes, I agree. My experience has been similar. Especially on weekends and Sunday nights!! I think the latest 'improvements' to the site may have added some functions which consume more horsepower and consequently slow things down on the processing/throughput from the GC.com server environment.

The most recent site changes -- the "ignore list" and other "bookmark lists" -- don't appreciably drain the database because bookmarks are standalone. It's only when you click on a link to access a bookmarked cache that you're poking the overworked database. Likewise, the cosmetic changes to the site layout in February don't contribute to the database bottleneck.

Has anyone heard any comments/replies from the tech side of GC.com?

Yes. But in the website forum, not the general geocaching topics forum.