First Dnf Change!!

Delaypat

I let a cache intimidate me recently because of all the recent DNFs. Spent way more time than I should have...I can say that now that I got to go back and log it a "Found It."

Sure is satisfying to see yellow in my GSAK grid (now if I could only find a way to yellow-out MY cache placements!)

I let a cache intimidate me recently because of all the recent DNFs. Spent way more time than I should have...I can say that now that I got to go back and log it a "Found It."

Sure is satisfying to see yellow in my GSAK grid (now if I could only find a way to yellow-out MY cache placements!)

Enter in your user id # and they turn green.

I just revisited a cache that I DNF'd a year ago. I simply added a find log, myself, rather than change the old one (I dunno if I even CAN change one that old...)

You can, but what is the point? First the owner doesn't get notification if you just edit the log and change it to a find. Second, you may be making the cache look easier than it is. Many of us go by the logs to determine if the cache is a tough one (unfortunately many owners do not rate their caches properly).

If there are DNF's sprinkled among the logs, I'll know it might take a little searching. If there are all smileys, I'lll assume it should be easy and if I don't find it immediately I'll figure it's missing and move on.

If people are editing out their DNF's it will be very misleading. I don't see why people find it necessary to tamper with a cache's history.

I know here everyone logs EVERY DNF, LOL. But in the real world of caching I think only probable about 10% of folks log DNF some of the time. I don't know how many times people say "It took me 4 tries and a hint but I finally found it." and not one DNF posted. Since DNFs account for NADA then I think most folks dont bother posting them. Maybe if I finally give up on a cache I'll do a DNF depends on how I feel. So does it make a differance you decide but if you have posted a DNF then just post another find shows you have tanacity.

cheers

I know here everyone logs EVERY DNF, LOL.  But in the real world of caching I think only probable about 10% of folks log DNF some of the time.  I don't know how many times people say "It took me 4 tries and a hint but I finally found it."  and not one DNF posted.  Since DNFs account for NADA then I think most folks dont bother posting them.  Maybe if I finally give up on a cache I'll do a DNF depends on how I feel.  So does it make a differance you decide but if you have posted a DNF then just post another find shows you have tanacity.

cheers

I fall into that 10%. I log every DNF. I was not so adamant about it when I started, but after placing a couple of geocaches, I soon realized that DNFs are a critical tool for 'cache maintenance. As an owner, I WANT to see DNFs for two reasons:

(1) DNFs may indicate to me that something is wrong with the geocache, weather it be muggling, or otherwise missing, and

(2) DNFs are a way to judge how well my geocache is hidden. I like a good hide, and try to reflect it in my ratings. I have gone back after multiple DNFs on one of my hides and increased the hide difficulty a tick.

I find it particularly distressing for someone to mention that they found a 'cache on their fourth find, and yet they have logged no previous DNFs. Part of placing a geocache for me is to read about the stories that went into finding them! I really want to know all about the DNF experience.

PLEASE do not edit those DNFs. Why? Because the 'cache owner never gets an email about the find if you do that! Also, the DNF is part of the geocache history, and as previous posters have noted, they are frequently used to aid hunters in their hunt. A DNF may significantly aid a geocacher in knowing where NOT to look.

Edited by Mr Lost

I agree. Don't change it. It is part of the history of the cache, and your own caching efforts.

I always log my DNFs, and sometimes write lengthy posts about my experience, particularly if I spend more than an hour searching. ;)

Mr. Lost wrote an excellent synopsis of the reasons why posting a DNF is important. There is no shame in a DNF, as sept1c_tank states.

How else can the cache owner either take pride in their clever hiding techinique, or learn that their cache might be missing?

I find it particularly distressing for someone to mention that they found a 'cache on their fourth find, and yet they have logged no previous DNFs. Part of placing a geocache for me is to read about the stories that went into finding them! I really want to know all about the DNF experience.

I think I'm going to stop posting every DNF. I posted a couple of DNFs on a cache that several people had trouble finding and two of the previous finders sent me hints. I didn't ask for hints. Apparently some people think if you post multiple DNFs for a cache you want a hint. ;)

I log all DNF. You either find them or you don't. Even if the cache is missing it still was not found. If you post a DNF and later go back to find it, that shows that you didn't let that cache get the best of you. I have left notes on multi's that I didn't finish for some reason and am planning on going back to finish at a later time.

I have had other cachers e-mail me and say they looked 3 or 4 times for a cache I placed and could not locate it so it must be MIA. If a DNF was logged after a couple of times I would have checked to make sure the cache was there.

By the way the 3 caches that this was done on were still in place w/ no problems.

I have often thought about logging a note to say that someone looked for this cache x amount of times and e-mailed me they could not find it but the cache is there. That way there is still some history of a DNF for other cachers to see.

Logging DNFs is a pride thing for me. Log them and you'll feel better about yourself in addition to helping out the cache owner.

I only have one cache hide, but I'm continually amazed by the number of times I get emails asking to confirm final coordinates or to ask for hints, without any DNF log. I'm starting to think I should take the advice of some other local cachers, and put "No DNF, no hint" on my caches. ;)

OreoPony-Glad to see my Flippin' Cache will forever be etched in your memory if not in the WHITE column of the GSAK! Congrats!

(Now...go buy yourself some hiking boots and keep 'em in the car for all those lunchtime hunts. You never know when you might need them again!)