Adopt-a-newbie!

If anyone is around North Cambridge way I am hoping to get out for my first cache this weekend. Between St Ives and Ely to begin with!

Hi there, I live just north of Cambridge. I've been geocaching about a month. The caches along the guided busway caches between St Ives and Longstanton are good, I recommend them. :D

If anyone is around North Cambridge way I am hoping to get out for my first cache this weekend. Between St Ives and Ely to begin with!

Hi there, I live just north of Cambridge. I've been geocaching about a month. The caches along the guided busway caches between St Ives and Longstanton are good, I recommend them. :)

Excellent, if you see a confused looking girl wandering around near cache sites then its probably me, I dont have a gps so am going to persuade my husband to lend me this iphone or just do it by maps to begin with :D

Oh no! Do you have a sat nav? My garmin nuvi is pretty good for caching, but it has a rubbish battery life. Luckily someone gave me their old gps, so I use both together, as the nuvi can store all the cache info as well as the co-ordinates. I wouldn't like to try and find any without a gps, it's hard enough with one sometimes! :D

Edited by befals

Oh no! Do you have a sat nav? My garmin nuvi is pretty good for caching, but it has a rubbish battery life. Luckily someone gave me their old gps, so I use both together, as the nuvi can store all the cache info as well as the co-ordinates. I wouldn't like to try and find any without a gps, it's hard enough with one sometimes! :D

Yes I do have a satnav, and its a garmin nuvi(!) I will dig it out and find the charger for it then.

I have been reading the logs of caches that have been visited during the last 48 hours within the North Birmingham area. I can conclude from reading the logs that there is a lot of newbies out there enjoying the great sport that is geocaching. If you are one of those newbies and would like to meet others in the area that have had perhaps a little more experience, or you have issues that you do not fully understand. there are plenty of people that are willing to help you. Feel free to contact me and I will do my best to introduce you to others or help you with any issues you may have. I can be contacted via email at g6lpb.s@gmail.com or via this forum.

cross posted :)

I need to be friends with someone who can use the iphone app- it's driving me crazy! I'm on the Isle of Wight but I don't think this matters- I think I just need email based advice. I have posted on the forum here but they are SO SLOW to get back to me!

ANyone willing to answer some tedious emails about the app then please drop me a PM! :D

Those in the SE of England can find local cachers and discussion about forthcoming events in the South East caching forum, similarly those to the NW might like to drop in to the North West forum.

For new cachers who aren't in either of those camps please have a look at the pinned topic at the top of this forum:

Geocaching organisations in the UK and Ireland.

MrsB

Those in the SE of England can find local cachers and discussion about forthcoming events in the South East caching forum, similarly those to the NW might like to drop in to the North West forum.

For new cachers who aren't in either of those camps please have a look at the pinned topic at the top of this forum:

Geocaching organisations in the UK and Ireland.

MrsB

ooh, no Emcache (East Midlands) or EACachers (East Anglia)

Oops, already in the above linky, sorry!

Edited by The Other Stu

A complete and utter newbie in need of guidance!! :D

live in the Greater Manchester area and have stumbled across the geocaching idea (sounds like a great thing to get into)

Not yet been looking just learning at the mo

Would love to tag along to learn from a first hand perspective

Adopt a newbie :laughing:

If you're out and about caching any time over the next month and don't mind me tagging along I would love to :laughing:

I'm not entirely looking to be "adopted" but I would like to have some more (and local) Geocaching based friends, so if anyone is in the east-Surrey area and they'd be willing to talk to a relative newb (I do have some small sense of common sense) or even possibly meet socially at some point, send me a message.

Thanks.

got a more precise location? We're in Kingswood (J8 M25) and although we haven't been out caching much recently (lounge redecorating) we're always happy to help!

Oh, and in just over a week, there is a Surrey monthly meet - this one is in Earlswood, reigate (I think!)

Drop me an e-mail through profile for any help!

I'm not entirely looking to be "adopted" but I would like to have some more (and local) Geocaching based friends, so if anyone is in the east-Surrey area and they'd be willing to talk to a relative newb (I do have some small sense of common sense) or even possibly meet socially at some point, send me a message.

Thanks.

Echoing PP's offer... I'm within striking range of Kingston, Surbiton, Chessington etc. Usually cache during the week to avoid the weekend rush... if I don't have client work to do and the weather is half way decent (i.e. good enough to cycle) then I'm often up for a spot of caching.

Newbie Cacher here, based in Kent. I have been aware of Geocaching for a number of years, having been a keen orienteer a number of years ago, but have never really looked in to the intricacies of GC to find out exactly what was involved.

Created my membership yesterday, and went out to find my first two caches today using an old steam powered Garmin 12XL. I can see that this is going to be addictive! But I have a question, if I may. Both caches contained what looked like a bundle of spare plastic bags. Can someone explain the purpose of these?

Many thanks

Derek

Edited by Sorarse

Newbie Cacher here, based in Kent. I have been aware of Geocaching for a number of years, having been a keen orienteer a number of years ago, but have never eally looked in to the intricacies to find out exactly what was involved.

Created my membership yesterday, and went out to find my first two caches today. I can see that this is going to be addictive! But I have a couple of questions, if I may. I have noticed the abbreviation TFTC in the logs. My own interpretation is that it stands for 'Thanks for the Cache.' If that's not right I am sure someone will put me straight. The other thing is that both caches contained what looked like a bundle of spare plastic bags. Can someone explain the purpose of these?

Many thanks

Derek

Welcome!

TFTC. Good guess!

Other often used abbreviations may be found here: http://geolex.locusprime.net/

Bags in the cache... No idea.

Other than left to put swaps/TB's/coins in, to stop them getting wet?

Newbie Cacher here, based in Kent. I have been aware of Geocaching for a number of years, having been a keen orienteer a number of years ago, but have never eally looked in to the intricacies to find out exactly what was involved.

Created my membership yesterday, and went out to find my first two caches today. I can see that this is going to be addictive! But I have a couple of questions, if I may. I have noticed the abbreviation TFTC in the logs. My own interpretation is that it stands for 'Thanks for the Cache.' If that's not right I am sure someone will put me straight. The other thing is that both caches contained what looked like a bundle of spare plastic bags. Can someone explain the purpose of these?

Many thanks

Derek

Welcome!

TFTC. Good guess!

Other often used abbreviations may be found here: http://geolex.locusprime.net/

Bags in the cache... No idea.

Other than left to put swaps/TB's/coins in, to stop them getting wet?

Maybe there in the cache for CITO? (Cash in Trash out.)

Edited by Fudgeman

if anyone is in the fife area (lochore ballignry crosshill cowdenbeath etc) and dosent mind two people and some small people tagging allong with there k9 friend then please let me know. (unless its during school then its 2 big people one small person and there k9 friend)

i dont have gps (yet) and have (only) found 6 so know i still qualify as a complete and utter noob

if anyone is in the fife area (lochore ballignry crosshill cowdenbeath etc) and dosent mind two people and some small people tagging allong with there k9 friend then please let me know. (unless its during school then its 2 big people one small person and there k9 friend)

i dont have gps (yet) and have (only) found 6 so know i still qualify as a complete and utter noob

There are a couple of Scottish geocaching forums where you might have luck finding cachers nearer to you:

GeoX forum

Geofrees site

MrsB

Hi nick

I'm Sarah love to have some help, I'm really eager to get started but still bit confused.

I am based in luton.

I was thinking of doing some of the back basic caches or the Lilly micro church. When do you cache? I will have baby in tow so would need a buggy friendly search.

Bye for now Sarah

quote name='Beds Clangers' timestamp='1108576018' post='1311761']

Glad to help out anywhere in Beds!! :huh::P

Cache under a duvet!! :mad::huh:

Nick

Hi nick

I'm Sarah love to have some help, I'm really eager to get started but still bit confused.

I am based in luton.

I was thinking of doing some of the back basic caches or the Lilly micro church. When do you cache? I will have baby in tow so would need a buggy friendly search.

Bye for now Sarah

The Back to Basics series will be 'buggy friendly' if it hasn't rained for a few days. The stretch from Lilley to ''A Nuvver Log" will be difficult with a buggy if it's rained recently as it's quite deeply rutted in places. Good luck!

Hello I am in Brighton and I am new to caching ! I have a GPS and a map and compass. I live where there is a caache in a tree? by the railway ? near Preston Park Station. I found this cache from the listing. The rating is 1 / 1. I have had a good look at the only tree that is in the road mentioned ! Think I need help ? LOL

Does any one know of a Brighton group of cachers?

To make it clear I am in Brighton on the south coast of UK near Preston Park. I am looking for a local group to join.

Hope I hear from any one ?

Hello I am in Brighton and I am new to caching ! I have a GPS and a map and compass. I live where there is a caache in a tree? by the railway ? near Preston Park Station. I found this cache from the listing. The rating is 1 / 1. I have had a good look at the only tree that is in the road mentioned ! Think I need help ? LOL

Does any one know of a Brighton group of cachers?

To make it clear I am in Brighton on the south coast of UK near Preston Park. I am looking for a local group to join.

Hope I hear from any one ?

Hi Mr_oxo

Geocaching doesn't have "local groups", not in the same way that scouts, or choirs or astronomers have local groups that meet every second Tuesday in the month, or whatever...

Geocachers go out geocaching mostly on their own or with their family/partner but geocaching friends are made by attending geocaching events - that's the way most cachers get to know other geocachers in their locality. Event geocaches are listed just like the other physical caches that you search out. There's a good GAGB Events Calendar where you can look to see if there are any events near your area:

GAGB Geocaching Events Calendar.

Other than going to events geocachers make contact through local geocaching forums around the UK. Please see the pinned topic at the top of this forum: Geocaching Organisations in the UK and Ireland. Please note that some of the forums listed there were short-lived and may no longer exist.

Perhaps a cacher local to Brighton will see your post here and get in touch. :)

MrsB

Thank you mrs B for replying to my message.

I will look on that events calendar you have left me a link to.

It would be nice to get help and encouragement from others, rather than standing on my own looking puzzled at the tree where I think is hidden a 35mm canister! I think the cache has been stolen ? it is opposite a pub and can get busy in that part of the road ! Or am I barking up the wrong tree ! lol

Can I send a message to you ? to tell you if I find it ?

Have you and yours found loads of caches?

Thanks again for your help.

M.

Hi, I've been geocaching for a couple of years now, with 129 finds under my gps, :laughing: but am still a newbie in respect of placing caches. I've got a couple of places in mind, but how do I know who to contact to get permission to place the caches. I'm in Cumbria and one of the sites is on the grass verge of a "B2 class road. Any help gratefully accepted. :P

Hi, I've been geocaching for a couple of years now, with 129 finds under my gps, :laughing: but am still a newbie in respect of placing caches. I've got a couple of places in mind, but how do I know who to contact to get permission to place the caches. I'm in Cumbria and one of the sites is on the grass verge of a "B2 class road. Any help gratefully accepted. :P

Is it a particularly pretty grass verge?

Hi Dave,

I'm from Grays and have caches in Romford that I've not found yet. If you want to meet up sometime, PM me through my profile.

Sure will do. I think the problem was with those types of caches as I was out the next day and found 5/6 in 2 hrs. I should add that yesterday's were easy Church Micros with limited hiding places. I suspect that the problem I have is with my ground search technique. There are loads like the ones I DNF'ed in woodland near me so I really need to get things sorted. I did read the hints and logs and even rang a cacher I know (hublander) but came up with nothing. Very disappointing after 5.5 miles of walking.

:mad:

Edited by davemcwish

Hello, my name is rufus 430 & I'm a geocasher, it's been 1 day since my last cache.

What, you mean this isn't Geocachers anonymous :o .

I'm in Cornwall & I think this may well become an addiction.

Not necessarily looking for 'adoption' as such, but if anyone else caches in Mid(ish)-Cornwall with 1 or more small children (or at least is happy to cache within small person speed & distance limitations :rolleyes: ) it'd be lovely to hear from you.

I'm a Shepherd.... literally, that's my surname.I would be happy to adopt a newbie, I have been a cacher for two years now and love it! I'm stormydown on geocaching, skype sammi-shepherd

It might help new comers if you say the rough area you cache in.

I noticed that Sammy never came back to reply so: ............Stormydown is from the land of a million caches .... Chorley!

Hi there.

A friend of mine in the states told me about geocaching, only yesterday. He was off looking for something and managed to fall out of a tree. After he showed me what it was, I think I might be a little bit hooked on the concept.

I am in sunny East Sussex, near the Ashdown forest and the Kent border and if there is anyone out there near by who would like to adopt a total novice I would love to hear from you. I am going to hit the town this week and see what I can find, but it would be good to have someone with me to venture out further.

Cheers Cara ^_^

Hey from a newbie of 2 months....I have 30 finds....Id love to find a caching partner to go further a field with on nice days.....Unfortunetly i dont drive as of yet so if theres someone about the Leigh,Wigan area who wouldnt mind me popping along somewhere with them i would happily help with petrol costs :)

x