Adopt-a-newbie!

Hi!

been doing this for a few months now and totally addicted! based in Macclesfield / Cheshire. Started off using google maps, then iphone to find caches, but have just bought a Garmin etrex, (just waiting for it to arrive!!!) and would LOVE it if there was someone I could ask stupid questions about how to use it!

thanks! would only probably be a few emails until i get used to it :laughing:

Welcome!

Just ask on the forum. Always someone around!

No such thing as a stupid question, someone has to ask. :D

Follow the arrow is worth a read.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

well did my first today, broke the duck, was giggling when i found first part of multi-cache which was coordinates to the second, then typical newbie error i didn't input the correct numbers and headed off into the woods to find absolutely nothing, cursing and swearing after a good hours hunting i thought let me check the numbers, went back to first location and DOH!!!, input the numbers again and did it once more to make sure, this time i headed off again we got to the coordinates had a root around and soon enough found the cache.

Mega happy, off to the coast next week and will drop off a TB that has been in the cache i visited today for 2 months, so i grabbed it to drop it elsewhere.

well did my first today, broke the duck, was giggling when i found first part of multi-cache which was coordinates to the second, then typical newbie error i didn't input the correct numbers and headed off into the woods to find absolutely nothing, cursing and swearing after a good hours hunting i thought let me check the numbers, went back to first location and DOH!!!, input the numbers again and did it once more to make sure, this time i headed off again we got to the coordinates had a root around and soon enough found the cache.

Mega happy, off to the coast next week and will drop off a TB that has been in the cache i visited today for 2 months, so i grabbed it to drop it elsewhere.

Well done on your first!

And also well done on picking up the TB and doing the 'on-line retrieve' properly, too... So many trackable items don't get logged properly which messes up their mileage for their travels and sometimes they just get totally lost. ;)

MrsB :)

Well done on your first!

And also well done on picking up the TB and doing the 'on-line retrieve' properly, too... So many trackable items don't get logged properly which messes up their mileage for their travels and sometimes they just get totally lost. ;)

No worries, really enjoyed it, looking now which east coast beaches and areas have a decent amount of caches so i can play more next week, and drop off that TB to get the mileage up hehe

Well done on your first!

No worries, really enjoyed it, looking now which east coast beaches and areas have a decent amount of caches so i can play more next week, and drop off that TB to get the mileage up hehe

One quick suggestion, edit your log and remove the reference to the tracking number otherwise there just might be a spate of 'Discovered' entries.

I'm willing to adopt someone or be adopted (still learning the ropes!) in Hertfordshire, Essex or North London. I don't drive so would need to cache near public transport. I have 3 children who sometimes come with me so don't mind meeting someone who also has a family.

Hi everyone!

What a lovely bunch you lot are :D

Me and my husband have just discovered this ace hobby, we used to do something similar but far more riske so this is just fantastic!

We are from Witham in Essex, and to be honest are struggling a little bit. We have found 4 or 5 caches, but we have searched for a lot more. SO is there anyone in the local area that wants a caching buddy and have a giggle.

Hope to hear from someone xxx

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

I was a geo virgin yesturday but poped my cherry today. Only problem is I picked up a traveler in the process, just a little panicy about thuis... any one want to meet up and loose this on another hunt. Im in birmingham B43 and will travel to loose this little chap as long as he ois travling in the right direction...

I was a geo virgin yesterday but poped my cherry today. Only problem is I picked up a traveler in the process, just a little panicky about this... any one want to meet up and loose this on another hunt. I'm in Birmingham B43 and will travel to loose this little chap as long as he is traveling in the right direction...

Two caches found, one TB found -and logged correctly- you're not doing too bad!

(Bit too far north for me.)

Don't worry too much about direction for the TB, just don't take it to the South Coast! :P

Welcome. ;)

I was a geo virgin yesturday but poped my cherry today. Only problem is I picked up a traveler in the process, just a little panicy about thuis... any one want to meet up and loose this on another hunt. Im in birmingham B43 and will travel to loose this little chap as long as he ois travling in the right direction...

Yep, you're doing fine so far :P

I repeat this advice whenever new cachers are learning about moving trackable items around:

It's a good idea to note down (somewhere) the tracking number of every trackable item you pick up. Then if any problem arises, like you accidentally drop it off in the wrong place, or someone grabs it from you before you get a chance to do your own drop-off log, you will be able to correct any mistakes.

Another thing - never put any tracking number into a public place like this forum, or into any log - If you want to mention the item then quote its reference number which can be seen on the top left of the trackable's home page, it always starts with TB****.

Welcome to the game! ;)

MrsB

Yep, you're doing fine so far :)

I repeat this advice whenever new cachers are learning about moving trackable items around:

It's a good idea to note down (somewhere) the tracking number of every trackable item you pick up. Then if any problem arises, like you accidentally drop it off in the wrong place, or someone grabs it from you before you get a chance to do your own drop-off log, you will be able to correct any mistakes.

Another thing - never put any tracking number into a public place like this forum, or into any log - If you want to mention the item then quote its reference number which can be seen on the top left of the trackable's home page, it always starts with TB****.

Welcome to the game! :wub:

MrsB

Arr ok thank you. I will remember that... Ive been cachin mad the last 2 days and even took my god son with me. He is my new partner in crime. Loving the fun, never knew this was such a big thing. Thank you all....

See you out there

Hi there

I am a newbie to geocashing living just south of Birmingham in Redditch. There seems to be a wealth of caches right on my door step. I found my first one today and have logged my find. Hope I've done it right! Anyone wishing to share their knowledge and give me some tips???

Looking at your profile... Yep, one cache logged with a nice humorous sentence too (not something dull like, "Logged using my XXXXX mobile device" or the dreaded, "TFTC") so congratulations on becoming a geocacher. :D

If you have anything specific you want to ask about then it's better to start a new topic than add it into this thread.

MrsB :D

Hellooooo

I am a bit new to this too, have already asked a couple of questions in other areas of the forum, but most of it seems to be aimed at the USA so thought would come down right to the bottom to the UK page :wub:

I have found a few most whilst out with friends, have 2 fellow cachers who have shown me the ropes and have also introduced a couple of friends to it too :lol:

Now the kids go back to school all of them by next monday, and tho I have a four legged friend who is a fab cacher, I am a bit nervous going out on my own into the countryside. I get full of "what ifs?" which I know is silly but it really puts a cloud over what I am doing.

The 2 friends who cache regular both have other stuff to do too, so are not always available to come out to play when I can lol so am really looking for some other fellow cachers to come out to play

I am based in Kent but do drive, but mon to fri am clock watching because of the school run :ph34r:

will be waiting in anticipation

Jane

Hellooooo

The 2 friends who cache regular both have other stuff to do too, so are not always available to come out to play when I can lol so am really looking for some other fellow cachers to come out to play

I am based in Kent but do drive, but mon to fri am clock watching because of the school run :rolleyes:

Jane

Can I suggest going to some family friendly events to meet some local cachers.

I met another mum at a local picnic event a couple of years ago and now we regularly go caching together when the children are at school. We've even been known to take the children with us sometimes!

Sandra

Hellooooo

I am based in Kent but do drive, but mon to fri am clock watching because of the school run :rolleyes:

Jane

I met another mum at a local picnic event a couple of years ago and now we regularly go caching together when the children are at school. We've even been known to take the children with us sometimes!

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the reply, I know there is a camping event soon but we are already busy that weekend, then there is an evening meet at end of Sept which I am hoping to attend. other than that I dont know of any events in my local area, or where to find such things :D

I have taken my children with me to every cache I have found so far, they love it.

Be nice to carry it on when they at school tho

Jane

Hellooooo

Jane

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the reply, I know there is a camping event soon but we are already busy that weekend, then there is an evening meet at end of Sept which I am hoping to attend. other than that I dont know of any events in my local area, or where to find such things :D

I have taken my children with me to every cache I have found so far, they love it.

Jane

depending upon where in kent you are, the South East is fairly well-off for events! Kent, Surrey and Sussex all have monthly meets, there is a camping event coming up which you know about, and there MAY be some events on 10/10/10 (just cos we can!). Finally, for the real loonies, there is a possible camping event in Sussex over the new year weekend - bring the thermals! B)

A search for events on GC.com should bring up some close(ish) to home!

Hi!

been doing this for a few months now and totally addicted! based in Macclesfield / Cheshire. Started off using google maps, then iphone to find caches, but have just bought a Garmin etrex, (just waiting for it to arrive!!!) and would LOVE it if there was someone I could ask stupid questions about how to use it!

thanks! would only probably be a few emails until i get used to it :)

visit

http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/

we don't bite and the NW extends to Macc easily, I'm in Congleton but work in Macc

Edited by clotguy

Hellooooo

I am based in Kent but do drive, but mon to fri am clock watching because of the school run :)

Jane

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Jane

depending upon where in kent you are, the South East is fairly well-off for events! Kent, Surrey and Sussex all have monthly meets, there is a camping event coming up which you know about, and there MAY be some events on 10/10/10 (just cos we can!). Finally, for the real loonies, there is a possible camping event in Sussex over the new year weekend - bring the thermals! :D

A search for events on GC.com should bring up some close(ish) to home!

oohh thanks, didn't know there was another forum for GB :) I am based in Rochester in Kent, the camping one would of been good, not had the tent out this year but as said already got plans, hey ho...really hope to attend the one end of sept tho :)

Off to Capstone today to try to find 2 caches there - wish me luck lol

Jane

Im in Exeter, Devon. I have found about 30 now but looking for new friends in the area to go out caching with. Also thinking of placing my own caches between Exeter and Exmouth/Barnstaple.

Be good to hear from people who fancy an evening / day out caching. E-mail me if you want Bradfordgull@gmail.com

Cheers

Simon