Suitability Of Swiss Army "credit Card" For Cache

fratermus

I'd like to leave a "swiss army card", a flat plastic jobber with toothpick, scissors, etc, and (yes) a tiny blade in it. I assume you could hurt yourself with it if you tried very hard, but I don't think anyone would look at it and say "that's a knife".

My gut feeling is that it would be ok to leave, and fun to find. Since I only have 2 finds to my name, I thought I'd get input here before leaving it in someone's cache.

Edited by fratermus
i found a pocket knife in a cache in my area and took it. The only thing that worries me is....what if (only a what if) some like murderer or something cleans off his pocket knife and stashes it in a cache, so it gets farther and farther away and no one will ever know...

yes, all the cool criminals are now hiding evidence where it will definently be found ;)

i found a pocket knife in a cache in my area and took it. The only thing that worries me is....what if (only a what if) some like murderer or something cleans off his pocket knife and stashes it in a cache, so it gets farther and farther away and no one will ever know...

yes, all the cool criminals are now hiding evidence where it will definently be found :huh:

:huh: I wonder how many criminals (Besides our own resident criminal that is!) are likely to carry a GPSr with them? To the OP: Yeah, swiss cards are VERY cool, but having a sharp edge, the party line is nope, sorry... :lol:

I have seen quite a collection of knives in caches, so if it helps any, noone else is listening either...

I've heard of a number of leatherman tools being left in caches also. And they have a blade. I suppose its really up to the person. But think about some of the caches out there... You could get killed just trying to reach some of them, I wouldn't be worried about a small-bladed multi-tool.

I think you ought to consider the cache that you plan to leave it in. If the cache was in a park where children could potentially get a hold of it, probably not the right trade item. If it was half way up Mt. McKinley, your "audience" is probably going to be responsible with the find -- just some thoughts. My own personal motto on caches is: If in doubt, leave it out. This would probably fall into that category for me.

I think you ought to consider the cache that you plan to leave it in. If the cache was in a park where children could potentially get a hold of it, probably not the right trade item. If it was half way up Mt. McKinley, your "audience" is probably going to be responsible with the find -- just some thoughts. My own personal motto on caches is: If in doubt, leave it out. This would probably fall into that category for me.

Good thoughts, good words.

I think you ought to consider the cache that you plan to leave it in.  If the cache was in a park where children could potentially get a hold of it, probably not the right trade item.  If it was half way up Mt. McKinley, your "audience" is probably going to be responsible with the find -- just some thoughts.  My own personal motto on caches is: If in doubt, leave it out.  This would probably fall into that category for me.

Good thoughts, good words.

ditto.

Blades are against da rules, but personally I am still eagerly waiting to find a neato swiss army anything as a swag item.

Place the things in something other than a 1/1 cache in a small local park where cachers with kids are likely to visit and while against the rules, it is very likely the person finding the item will be grateful. I would be.

Really the rules only apply to those placing a cache, not to those who seek a cache. When seeking a cache the rules are only guidelines.

Doesn't mean I am encouraging you to flaunt the rules as I believe they exist for very good reasons. Very good reasons. (said twice for emphasis). At the same time you aren't talking about leaving a loaded 44 magnum in a city cache next to the grade school so put it into perspective.

It is against the rules, but I would love to trade for it. Just put it in a cache that isn't likely to be visitted by 5 year olds.

I have seen quite a collection of knives in caches, so if it helps any, noone else is listening either...

I've heard of a number of leatherman tools being left in caches also. And they have a blade. I suppose its really up to the person. But think about some of the caches out there... You could get killed just trying to reach some of them, I wouldn't be worried about a small-bladed multi-tool.

Multi tools are also officially banned, so if you are placing a cache and mention you have one in it, your cache will be rejected. They are also very useful items and I'd love to find one in a cache.

In the end nobody is going to follow you around and watch what you put in caches, so if you want to leave a Swiss Army Card or Leatherman, the next finder will probably be very thankful. Just before the knife ban I found a good deal on small Victoranox Swiss army knives, so I bought a bunch to put in caches. Days after my shipment arrived, the ban was announced. I put the things in caches anyway and the finders were very happy to find them.

Just use common sense and also be aware that geocaching was banned in at least one park system because a park official checked out the cache log and saw a mention of someone leaving a Swiss army knife. It was actually a pen-knife, but they banned geocaching because "weapons" were not allowed in the park. A silly overreaction? Sure, but the geocachers in that area are still suffering the repercussions.

I've found knives in caches, and usually leave them there.

Because i don't agree with placing a knife in a cache? NO, I don't need a cheap knife, I have a good one.

I had a swiss army card for about a year and a half and loved having it around. After a while in the pocket it fell apart. If I found one in a cache I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

If you are placing the cache, leave it in ther and call it a "First finder's prize"

As for a kid finding it and hurting themselves, it could happen. usually when nobody teaches them that knives are not something to play with, they are a tool and you need to treat them with respect.

Edited to add:

Actually I did cut my finger with it once, so it could be dangerous to anyone. Just if you don't pay attention to what you are cutting.

Joe Smith

Edited by Joe Smith

I have found knifes (cheap chinese crap) and matches in caches, and I think it's the parents who should decide what gets traded with their kids. DUH! (you do go caching with your kids right?)

Truth is, I'd like to see some better swag in caches,besides golf balls and Mardi Gras beads!

The Geocacher's Creed says:

I will not endanger myself or others.

As and example, it says

A cache you own, or one you're trading out of, could be found by children or even a prisoner work crew - consider the location of the cache and those likely to find it when deciding what to leave as a trade item.

Of course, its just a guideline, but a sensible one. It doesn't say "no blades." it says (as others here have said) consider likely finders when selecting trade items.

I think the best thing to do in these matters is to let common sense be your guide. This is a family sport, most children are supervised when caching and hence the beauty of it, a way the whole family can go outdoors together. I think you know what to do here, just be sensible and use the guidelines as they are intended, guidelines. Every sport/activity has to have boundries, just keep it sensible.

fratermus: you could leave a picture of the card in the cache, with a code word, and then watch the cache on this site to see who claims the prize and has the correct code word. Then you could either meet with the claimer or mail the card to the claimer's business (to verify age) address, or home address.

Just a few thoughts to maybe help that card escape captivity!

Thumper

By the way I agree with the no knife policy, even after I scored a bunch of knives for swag. They now reside (still in the packaging) in the same box all of the afore mention cr*p knives I have removed from caches now reside.

Knives… I have found them and have to admit I have left them on occasion, but only in very difficult to reach caches. Unfortunately the “hazard to children” thing is in my opinion ( I know everyone has one) a statistic of today’s politically correct, frivolous lawsuit, not responsible for my own actions society. Think about it. I have found a few caches in the woods very close to houses. Suppose one day little Johnny (10 yrs old) is playing in the rocks near the house with little brother Joey (5 yrs old). They stumble on your cache and find many cool trinkets (happy toys, marbles etc.) Little Joey thinks the marbles look tasty, puts one in his mouth, chokes. Parents find out where he got it, trace it back to you and sue. Now what, ban marbles and happy meal toys because of the hazard to small children?

I promise to no longer swap knives as I see the general consensus it not to, but it still saddens me as to the state of today’s society.

Brian

Unless the cache is in a day-care centre playground I can't see a problem.

You don't. I don't. Anyone with common sense doesn't. But government agencies aren't known for their common sense and some have discovered Swiss army knives in caches and banned geocaching because they found "a weapon" in a cache.

In response, this website will not list caches that have a knife and discourages trading them.

But government agencies aren't known for their common sense and some have discovered Swiss army knives in caches and banned geocaching because they found "a weapon" in a cache.

I don't have a problem with knives in caches as I don't think they create a real danger.

Having geocaching banned in places due to a knife being found... that is a different story..

My brother and I had pocket knives since we were very little. Lots of kids my age had 'em. Most were crappy little things but the point is that we didn't go around stabbing each other or accidently lopping our heads off. ;-) Personally, I'd have no problem with putting one in a cache but since it should be up to parents as to whether or not their kids can have a knife, they should only be placed in caches where kids aren't likely to find them.

Knives… I have found them and have to admit I have left them on occasion, but only in very difficult to reach caches. Unfortunately the “hazard to children” thing is in my opinion ( I know everyone has one) a statistic of today’s politically correct, frivolous lawsuit, not responsible for my own actions society. Think about it. I have found a few caches in the woods very close to houses. Suppose one day little Johnny (10 yrs old) is playing in the rocks near the house with little brother Joey (5 yrs old). They stumble on your cache and find many cool trinkets (happy toys, marbles etc.) Little Joey thinks the marbles look tasty, puts one in his mouth, chokes. Parents find out where he got it, trace it back to you and sue. Now what, ban marbles and happy meal toys because of the hazard to small children?

I promise to no longer swap knives as I see the general consensus it not to, but it still saddens me as to the state of today’s society.

Brian

Great post Brian. I was just going to mention the same thing. How about the fact that people need to be accountable for what they do and with what they do it with. Society is so litigious these days a person can barely do anything without someone wanting a "free ride" HENCE lawsuits.

Children these days know the difference between right and wrong (what amazes me is grown-ups quite often forget that as well. Take that idiot shining laser pointers at planes) Now if he found that laser pointer in a cache, his attorney would probably use Geocaching somehow as a scapegoat for the stupidity of his client.

I am all for leaving nice/unique/fun trinkets in a cache, so just use your best judgement. As a sidenote, I have a TON of baseball pins that I have duplicates of (Oakland A's all the way <_<) but do I need to worry about "little johnny" sticking his little finger when attempting to attach it to his shirt/hat?

RoC

I might be missing something here, but I don't think any of the advice about some caches being suitable places to leave a blade of any sort can be seen as good advice.

Regardless of whether common sense says that children should be supervised, or a cache at the top of a mountain would be ok, etc, the powers that be have stated that knives of any kind are banned from geocaching, and you should respect that, and not place a knife in a cache at any time.

Remember, common sense isn't really that common after all.

I quit reading this about 1/3 of the way down the page, as everyone was saying the same thing repeatedly.

Here's a thought though. Everyone's so dadgum worried about a kid getting a hold of it when they're out caching, but how's this for a thought.... Leave it in it's packaging. Even if the parents were losers who weren't watching as their child opened the box and who hadn't taught them that knives are sharp, chances are that the kid isn't going to decapitate his kid sister if he also has to open the packaging.