Do You Delete Your Dnf's?

cpnowak

It is like a badge of honor to leave the dnf's and then go back and find them. They pose a challenge to me even more than a new cache does. I keep wondering if I had just looked one more place, would I have found them. I found 18 this weekend and the ones that were most important to me were two that had really made us search for a long time, posted dnf and this time we finially found them. IT also helps encourage others who don't find to go back and look again.

I often delete DNF and notes.

If I first have a DNF and then later finds the cache do I delete the DNF if it's nothing special with the DNF (funny story or so..)

The same with notes.

The reason? When you are caching paperless do you only get a few previous logs in the PQs, and it is better that those are filled with logs than notes etc.

If I log a DNF, and the owner writes a note saying "It was gone and now is a new one there instead" and I find the new one, why should my DNF be there?

If I log a DNF, and the owner writes a note saying "It was gone and now is a new one there instead" and I find the new one, why should my DNF be there?

Because you went to look for it and didn't find it?

It also shows other folks that go and don't find it that they're not the only one.

The DNF's don't count against your find count ;) I guess everyone has a right to do it how they want to, but deleting DNFs seems to go "against the grain" to me.

I don't always log dnf's, because I don't want to take up more space on the servers.

I usually make the find in two, three times tops.

If there are a number of dnf's in a row then maybe that the cache has gone missing.

I used to download a bunch of loc. files in small tight cluster and run out the door without reading the logs, or the hints.

This worked for me ok, but sometimes I shot myself in the foot.

Now,I print out the printer friendly version of the cache page .

I always log DNF's, even multiple DNF's on the same cache every time I hunt it and can't find it. Luckily, I have only had two of those, and eventually I did find them. I also have two DNF's still outstanding....one from three years ago.....someday I will find it! I like having them there as it seems to me it tells the full story of my attempts at 'caching...it just seems "right" to me....but as others have said, you can do it any way you want....as long as you have fun.

Hank

I'm concentrating on multis in my area lately. It's not uncommon for one to take me two trips. So I'm looking at my notes and DNF's as normal log entries, with pictures and everything.

My rule of thumb is, if I give up because I can't find a stage, it's a DNF. If I decide to knock off and finish another time because I'm old and fragile and my feet hurt, it's a note. Either way, it's a part of the cache's history and mine.

I have noticed that the cache owner sometimes deletes them after I go back and log a find. What's up with that?

That's pretty odd. Is it always the same person? If so he's denying other geocachers important info about the potential difficulty of the find. If you see nothing but smiley faces you assume its pretty easy. You see a bunch of frownies sprinkled among them you know it might take some work and some time.

I have noticed that the cache owner sometimes deletes them after I go back and log a find.

I've never had that happen on any of my DNF's...and I'd never consider deleting a DNF (unless it had some sort of total spoiler and the cacher doesn't respond to my request to modify his log). I consider the DNF logs more entertaining than the Found logs in many cases...and they often contain information that might be more useful to me in getting to the cache site or deciding where NOT to look.

I really only experienced it on one cache, (maybe two, but I can't swear I listed a DNF on the second one) but since I've only found 42 to date, I thought that others might have had it happen to them. I did log a find on this cache the following weekend, which mentioned our unsucessful attempt from the previous week. Maybe that's why the owner deleted the DNF? There are other DNFs listed on this cache, but there are no "finds" logged by the DNF loggers at a later date.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

At first, I didnt even log a DNF, but then I wised up. Like others have said, some of my best caching experiences are the DNFs and it is eyeopening to go back and read the logs. If I have a DNF and find it at a later date (like I have for a few caches), I would never dream of deleting the log. Just like others, I believe it is the history of the cache. You wouldnt delete a find if you went back with a friend would you?

We have some owners that do not like DNFs. It depends how much time I actually spent in looking for it. If I think it will help other cachers I will certainly log one. If I am just getting the lay of the land and plan on returning to finish a more through search, I will not log a DNF. Dick, W7WT

We have some owners that do not like DNFs.

Hmm . . . That sounds like an unhealthy attitude.

They feel that a DNF will discourage others from looking for the cache. I know if I am on a long trip I will bypass caches that have two or more straight DNFs.

Positively.

In days past I used to edit my DNFs into Finds when I found'em, or from DNFs to log-only if my DNF was due to a cache being plundered/muggled. The 'frownie' on my 'show all logs' was an indicator I could use to keep a list of where to go back to.

More recently, having GSAK lets me scrub my list to look for my past DNFs, so I don't need to edit the past logs any more. Whatever works.

I 'definitely' use the DNFs reported by others to flag caches that might have coord or puzzle problems worthy of skipping for a while until the web page gets straightened out, especially on trips to places I don't get to often.

We have some owners that do not like DNFs.

Hmm . . . That sounds like an unhealthy attitude.

They feel that a DNF will discourage others from looking for the cache. I know if I am on a long trip I will bypass caches that have two or more straight DNFs.

Yes, of course. The same is true of 3, 4, & 5 star difficulty. That’s the whole point. Someone with this attitude probably rates his 4 difficulty or terrain a 1 so “more people will hunt it.” BAD attitude. If they want lots of people to find their cache, put it in an easy place to reach and explain in the cache description exactly where and how to find it, then make absolutely sure it's fixed immediately when it gets muggled. In my opinion to entice people to spend time they may not have hunting a cache with an understated difficulty or that’s no longer there is shameful and destructive to the game.

An owner who doesn’t want DNFs is trying to hide the true state of their cache to the detriment of others. BAD attitude.

Edited by Thot