Vests And Packs For Caching

c88m

I was wondering what people use for vests or packs when you go caching ? I've been using a camelback or just a little pouch that will carry my gps , a digital camera or pda along with a flashlite and writing tool . I've been looking for a vest to use but most are cheap looking or too expensive (over $60) . I would like a military type but most are way too pricey or just set up all wrong for caching . What is a good type that will survive and has a good setup ? :P:P

I've used a backpack and a fanny pack. The backpack is best for open terrain or good trails but it really is a pain if you have to bushwhack. It fetches up in low hanging evergreen limbs when you duck under them, and will fill your neck with snow this time of year. The fanny pack is great for heavy brush but you can't carry as much (of course) and it can give you a sore back on a long hike. I usually spend a few minutes deciding which to use depending on the terrain. Vests are too bulky and you can't just drop them off like a pack. That's my 2 ¢ worth.

It all depends on the cache. For many urban caches, I can carry everything I need in my pockets, or if I'm doing a bunch, maybe a small fanny pack is fine.

For caches that involved longer hikes I use my Mountainsmith Guide daypack. I thought about vests, but the geek look factor was too high for me. I have an image to keep up :P .

Though this vest looks pretty good and I might be willing to compromise my image for something useful like it.

You probably do not need a pack with more than 900 cu in of space though.

That all depends on how long the hike is and the season. On recent geocaching outings, I've stuffed my 2,400 ci daypack to the gills with extra clothing and winter survival gear (you should always be prepared to spend the night in case something happens) . In the summer it's usually about 1/4 to 1/2 half full depending on the weather and how long the hike is.

Edited by briansnat

i use a military issue but pack and lbe. the fanny pack i was using had a habit of slowly sliding downward, even though i tightened it up. the problem with that was the fanny pack would also cause my pants to slowly slide downwards. on at least 2 occassions i was in an unusually embarrassing posture to compensate for the lack of proper fit :unsure:

regards

archie

you should always be prepared to spend the night in case something happens) .
What kind of caches are you going to?

Any time you're more than a mile or two into the woods its a good idea to be prepared. Fall and break a leg, get your foot wedged under a boulder or just get lost and you can wind up spending more time there than you expected. In the winter (and even on a cool, wet summer night) this can be fatal. Since the caches I prefer tend towards longer hikes my pack is pretty full when I head out.

Edited by briansnat

Here's a great vest, and the company was top notch to deal with. Say hi to Val when you call. I love mine, though I don't use it in hot weather, as it's made od a quality canvas fabric. You can also get is as a jacket with zip off sleeves.

Vestmate.com

Only US$40.00. I have seen this exact same vest in camera stores for over $100.

If I'm not using the vest, I use a fannt pack with twin water btottle paockets that I got for about US$15 at a Target or Wallmart or someplace like that. Cheap and serviceable. You don't have to spend alot for decent gear. But you could!

you should always be prepared to spend the night in case something happens) .
What kind of caches are you going to?

Any time you're more than a mile or two into the woods its a good idea to be prepared. Fall and break a leg, get your foot wedged under a boulder or just get lost and you can wind up spending more time there than you expected. In the winter (and even on a cool, wet summer night) this can be fatal. Since the caches I prefer tend towards longer hikes my pack is pretty full when I head out.

I'm with Brian, which is not surprising since we both prefer the same type of caches. I actually carry 1-3 things, depending on the caches. I start with the ultimate GPS case on an optional shoulder strap. That has my GPS (Duh), spare batteries, pencil, pen, sharpie, mini maglite, and a compass. For urban caching, that's usually about all I need, and is fairly inconspicuous. For suburban caching, I add a fanny pack with my PDA, camera, FRS radio, trade items, a CITO kit or 2 (garbage bag in film cansister. The canister can also be used as an emergency replacement micro), emergency poncho (bright orange so can double as safety vest or signal device if needed) lighter, and some minor cache repair items. For the good caches, I add a large daypack with hydration bladder and whatever supplies and gear needed to spend at least a night under the worst possible conditions.

I use a small (350 cu inch) backpack. I can fit the GPSr, a PDA, a 20 oz water bottle, a first aid kit, a whistle, mini maglite, a hat, some CITO bags, bug dope, basic cache repair supplies (e.g. spare pencils and cache log bags), walkie talkie (my partner carries the other one), cell phone, etc in this small bag.

If I'm going out into a wilderness area, I use a larger LLBean day pack to carry extra clothes and emergency stuff, although I believe (perhpas foolishly) that carrying a GPSr (gives your exact position) and a cell phone (and caching in pairs) reduces the odds of spending an unexpected night outdoors unless you're WAY out - in that case, I'd plan on spending the night and pack a tent, sleeping bag, food, etc.

I thought about a vest (tried one for photography years ago), but IMHO, they're of limited utility:

• too hot in summer
  • not accessible in winter (e.g. under a parka)
  • to geeky for urban environments

Bottom line - I'd recommend a small backpack.

I general use an old school backpack to haul my stuff. Mine is just a normal Jansport bag. It's a good size, but one of the most convenient features is a mesh, side water bottle pocket that holds my GPS perfectly, so it's out of my hands but still secure and getting a good sat lock.

I figured I needed something a bit more specialized for geocaching, and so I ordered this:

M36523_Garnet.jpg

I didn't really realize how big it would be.

It's a good size for hiking out in the wilderness. You could probably carry $100's of dollars worth of cache goodies, but quite frankly, it's a bit big for suburban caching where even a backpack can look conspicuos.

I can't say anything bad about the pack itself though. It's really nice, and it will be used...