Mud Sticker

Sparticus

There but for the grace of God go I.

- I had a company car for years and these go anywhere, even places that 4wd don't dare. Now though, I've accepted a payrise and have my own car and clearly this doesn't go half the places that a company car will, though it does have a Sat Nav system that includes RUPP's as roads which is fun sometimes.

I'm now thinking I need to get a proper 4wd, you have helped me on my way to a decision.

Cheers

- 3am? Funny how when you have kids this seems so extreme

Nowhere near that dramatic, but was caching in the Brecon Beacons last week in my 1 year old Toyota Avensis (Silver).

I was begining to wonder about my sanity taking this through hubcap deep floods and hearing the front splitter scrape on some of the rougher roads. This car is not built for life in the country. Much more for cruising on the M-way.

I hate 4x4s in the local area that are only used for the school run etc. Can I really justify driving one of those around town for the occasional run to try and find a tupperware box in the forest?

Good to see the log before yours was by someone with an off-road user name! I have to agree, 4x4's used for school-runs (complete with lethal bullbars) are a silly thing. The only 4x4 I've owned was a Subaru Legacy estate which had a hi/lo ratio gearbox and variable ride height lever. Great in the snow.

Sparti's (not overly familiar I hope) experience reminds me of when my girlfriend and I were rescued from the Ridgeway near Waylands Smithy by a pack of 8-or-so motocrossers. Oh how we laughed as they half pushed, half carried my Renault 5 out of the mud. It's funny, getting along the track had been fine, it was only coming back that was the problem. I blame those dadgum horse-riders for ripping the trail up...

I'm older now and wouldn't do it again, although it was (still is? Discuss) quite legal to drive or ride along the Ridgeway.

SP :ph34r:

Edited by Simply Paul
although it was (still is? Discuss) quite legal to drive or ride along the Ridgeway

I often walk our dog up along the Ridgeway by Wayland's Smithy and the Uffington White Horse. Unfortunately, though, it can sometimes be very dangerous as motorbikes and 4WD vehicles often come hurtling past without a care in the world for pedestrians, children or animals! :ph34r:

When I got my truck stuck at a cache the police couldnt help other than suggest asking a local farmer. Just my luck that all the local farmers were away at the mart some 20 miles away. The AA offered me help in that they would contact a local garage but as I was stuck off road they said I would have to pay because they dont cover off road situations. The garage sent out a landrover and I had to pay for the mans time offroad rescuing me and the AA picked up the call out fee. You can read about it here

Same thing happened me too - but I was over a mile from the cache so I never posted it on the cache... which cache? I'm not telling.

I was heading down a very muddy lane and realised it was a bad idea, so I turned around, doing a 23,547 point turn. Then I got stuck after I turned around. I gently rocked the car out, and just as I was spinning my way out of the muddy patch, the left wheel found unexpected grip and threw me off to the right, down a 2ft drop.

I had to abandon the car with it's back wheel in the air and find a local farmer to pull me out. There was no damage done - phew!

Markandlynn - the problem with those Avensis' is that the suspension is too soft - me and Marcus (cache owner) have both driven down in our Fiat Punto Sportings (nice hard suspensions with half the ground clearance of a family car) :ph34r:

For a good "Got Stuck" log, try this one

:ph34r:

This Italian Site Castelvecchio in a ruined medieval village has parking coordinates which are utterly unobtainable. We stopped a mile away, others have tried a little harder to get to the coordinates - none ( if you read the postings ) have ever made the parking location.

What is worse is when the car arriving meets the car turning back - it happened to us.

I often walk our dog up along the Ridgeway by Wayland's Smithy and the Uffington White Horse. Unfortunately, though, it can sometimes be very dangerous as motorbikes and 4WD vehicles often come hurtling past without a care in the world for pedestrians, children or animals! :ph34r:

I promise my Renault 5 wasn't going very fast! But it's a good point. When the bikers roared off I thought they weren't hanging about. Not smart when other people are about.

For anyone else stuck, the trick is to pack the mud in front of the driven wheels with wood, stones, or - at a push - floor mats you no longer care about. This should give the wheels enough grip to pull the car out.

SP

On a recent cache I found a Mercedes SLK240 (think that was what is what) stuck in the woods not far from the cache. See,

Visit Log

any cachers want to own up. Stange thing was it was very early in morning about 07:30a.m and the engine/bonnet was still warm and not a soul around. No obvious roads or tracks in either :ph34r:

Nick

Edited by Beds Clangers

Who the hell takes one of those into the woods? Mind you, I did make the mistake of driving my Jag up a farm track that turned into a woodland once. I only managed to get out when it'd finished sliding to the bottom of the hill sidewards. A bit of to-ing and fro-ing was needed to turn it to face uphill again and then very gentle revs...

Makes you wonder if there was a body in the boot of the Merc. Any sign of it being stolen?

SP :ph34r:

On a non-caching camping trip a rather accident prone mate of mine had an interesting 'stuck in the mud' experience.

Our Rover 214 got stuck in the mud on the camp site so instead of pushing from the back of the car he chose to push on the front wing.

Not wanting to miss this perfect opportunity I stuck it into first and floored it.

Not sure he ever got his jeans clean after that :P:D:D:D

He did have a tendancy to make his own bad fortune though. On a holiday in Lanzarote he managed to break a glass bottle in the villa, then stand on it, barefoot, on the first day of the holiday!!! :o

Oh the stories I could tell :anibad::):):o

Our Rover 214 got stuck in the mud on the camp site so instead of pushing from the back of the car he chose to push on the front wing.

Not wanting to miss this perfect opportunity I stuck it into first and floored it.

Surely you mean reverse gear?

Otherwise you would have killed the man had you found grip,

and all the mud would have flown back under the car... :anibad:

I often take my car into ridiculous muddy fields - all part of the fun of my other hobby (that shall remain nameless). top tip - drive a diesel! Okay, after that, keeps the revs down and try not to excavate an ever deeper hole for yourself with mad amounts of wheel spin. Reversing out can sometimes be more effective than trying to go forwards. I managed to drive my previous car, a little Citroen AX, out of deep mud in a field in which Landy's etc were getting stuck!

smug mode! :anibad:

BTW, I don't have vehicles roar past me on the Ridgeway. I have as much right to be there as they do, so they have to trail along behind me at a snails pace as I am b*ggered if I am climbing up the banks every 2 minues to get out of their way! Stroppy, moi? :)

BTW, I don't have vehicles roar past me on the Ridgeway. I have as much right to be there as they do, so they have to trail along behind me at a snails pace as I am b*ggered if I am climbing up the banks every 2 minues to get out of their way! Stroppy, moi?

I guess I can be equally stroppy...

... if I hear a motorbike or car hurtling along the track and my dog is loose, I'll stand in the middle of the track to (hopefully!!! :anibad: ) slow them down until I can at least grab my dog's collar to prevent her from being run over!

I I managed to drive my previous car, a little Citroen AX, out of deep mud in a field in which Landy's etc were getting stuck!

smug mode! :)

I had one of those little cars a few years ago and it was a brilliant car. I can vouch for the offroad qualities I once drove down a rather steep hill with mine to get to a nice camping spot. When I tried to get back up in the forwards direction I had no Joy. So into reverse it went and drove straight up the hill :anibad:. When I got to the top I was informed by my mate that they had got stuck at the bottom of the hill in a proper 4x4 and had to get pulled up with a very long rope and a farm tractor. My little AX was a brilliant car

Citroen AX!

As an ex-vehicle rental business owner I have had...let me count....at least 10 citroen AX's. Bloody brilliant cars and as people have already stated they go anywhere and they go forever - normally at about 40 miles to the gallon.

The diesel version will never get stuck any where due to its high centre of gravity, high travel and overall lightweight with all the weight it has over the driving wheels. The others are no slouches either with the 1.0 debut happily doing 100mph (on the clock in case any nasty policeman is watching the forum).

Also as Alibags mentioned hire cars, like company cars, go much further, higher, faster and deeper than any other car known to man. Just think about the poor guy who actually owns the car before redlining it in first...please :anibad:

Surely you mean reverse gear?

Nah - he was on the driver's wing, behind the wheel - 1st gear, steering slightly turned to the left :D:lol::lol::lol::D:lol::)

Oh dear, that's really bad :D

The mud would have gone in his face and all :D

That kinda' reminds me of something that happened about 20 B.C. (before caching). I had a Laverda Montjuic proddy racer and mate Gaz had a 750 Honda. We'd spent all Sunday morning cleaning and polishing them before a run out to The Greyhound at Aldbury for a lunchtime pint. So far, so good... On the way back, up the hill through Ashridge we were going just a bit quick; I 'bottled out' on a right hand 'corner' and took to the very handily placed escape road. OK... it was a forest track really and had recently seen a lot of forest traffic. When I say that my bike remained upright after I got off it I'm not exaggerating. It was wheel spindle deep in thick, gooey mud. Gaz had followed and was in a similar situation just a few yards past me. He wasn't best pleased and demonstrated his lack of a sense of humour by spinning up his back wheel and covering me (and my beautiful orange bike) from head to foot in aforementioned mud. Needless to say, we were both in the same state by the time we'd extricated the bikes. :D:D:D

Oh dear, that's really bad B)

The mud would have gone in his face and all :)

On the same trip the dozey git spent a good half an hour warming up a tin of tomato soup on a little burner that gave out about as much heat as your average Bic lighter - you know the type of lighter you find in caches. B)

Anyway he was warming it up in a tin pot with a swing handle. When it finally reached luke warm he decided to make hay and eat the soup. So he grabs the handle and you guessed it the tin swung under the usual liquid/gravity forces and pured about two tablespoons onto the grass. He was so annoyed with himself, the burner, the soup and the tin that he threw it to the ground in a paddy. :D

The soup tin hit the ground with such force that its contents lept out of the tin and covered his jeans. I have to point out that this was his other pair of jeans having lost his first in the mudbath. :D

Fortunately the campsite had a washing machine and tumble drier. It took him a while to get his jeans clean and dry by which point me and the rest of the crew had nearly stopped laughing. B)B):D

Sorry this was off topic but thought it might give you a smile :D

Have you ever noticed just how far you can drive company cars on the starter motor, no, well feel free to give it a try, my experience was driving through a ford just a little too fast, when the car cut out, now the water was above the door sill, so getting out that way would have cost the company loads, the window isnt/wasnt an option, 6ft 3 18 stone (you get the picture), with no one around to give me a push, I thought what the hell, engine wouldnt start, so into first gear, foot off clutch, turn starter motor over, moved forward 2ft, repeated 8 or nine times (makes a horrible noise), but vola! out of the for with not so much as a damp toe.....

After a few dozen attempts at turning the engine over it finally caught, and off home I went.... Only to give the car back a month of so later and take delivery of a 4x4....!!! (had to give that back now as well!!) Wonder who ended up buying the car with the rusty engine.... :)

Mike

Edited by TheCookieCrew

Bagged a trig at Inkpen in Berks this week, it's also the highest point in Berks so I could claim a cache - H is for Highpoint.

The Sat Nav in the Laguna told me a road ran right past the trig - well, it might have been a road in neolithic times - it was a chalk road, not disimilar to the Ridgeway.

It looked OK and I was given courage by this thread where everyone has a "2wd in the mud" story where they "got away with it", so I went for it, stopping occasionally to test the depth of puddles and check ground clearance on tricky bits. Did the trig, then I had to decide whether to forwrads or back - there was another trig on the next hill so I decided to go forwards, if the track stayed the same I was OK.

Once the track started to go downhill it changed character - now it was the width of a landrover, with highish sides and ruts where the tyres go. The ruts were great channels for water and occasionall the water changed sides with a diagonal rut.

I had about 150m of this to get to paved roads, or reversing back up about a mile.

I squeezed the car up to one bank and had the other wheels on the wet smooth slippery clay in the middle. The car slid in whichever direction the camber took it, if I slid off the edge I was properly stuck, the wheels wouldn't have touched the ground.

The diagonal ruts proved exciting, but I got there in the end. There were a group of old folk admiring the view from their cars, just gazing at me - when I drove out I felt like James Bond when he drives out of the sea in his Lotus, all I needed was a fish.

The car engine now clunks and rattles and the clutch squeals embarrassingly. The car was absolutely plastered with mud which amused me when I was parked in a car park later next to a gleaming Disco and another Japanese 4x4.

I went to look at a Landrover yesterday. Anyone want a Laguna Estate, 52 plate with all the extras, one caring owner, a full service history and 68000 on the clock?

Edited by Kitty Hawk
I went to look at a Landrover yesterday. Anyone want a Laguna Estate, 52 plate with all the extras, one caring owner, a full service history and 68000 on the clock?

Funny you shuld say that - saw the Disco 3 on top gear last week and since this thread has been making me feel sick at the thought of getting stuck I can not shake Land Rover from my mind.

First crack at the 'Build Your Own Car' on the LR website though came out at £43,645 - might need some reworking bfore I can afford one of those!

Drop leather, tint windows, met. paint, 7 seats, 19" wheels, 14 speaker ICE, etc, etc, etc :D

First crack at the 'Build Your Own Car' on the LR website though came out at £43,645 - might need some reworking bfore I can afford one of those!

What about *really* building your own? As a kit car owner I know the amazing things you can do with a scrap Sierra (they did a 2.8 4x4 I think?) and some box section steel. Reminds me of some 'Bigfoot' style 4x4's based on a mini I saw once. The maddest looking thing on the face of the earth, but probably a practical caching car.

SP :D

You know you have read my mind SP! :lol:

The plan is for the wife to keep her practical runabout Audi A2, me to have a practical family car (Landy - yeah right, fat chance!) and for the garage to house a roadster kit car. I am looking at Marlins (as it happens), Grinnells or possible Porche Spyder replica although we need to find a bit more money for one of those.

Si

P.S. Moronic Atomic 2 you B"%$!"£^^! :lol: