Decoding Hints

Because many european cachers don't know that information should be given as encrypted hint and use it for necessary information like opening hours from a park there a cache is hidden I decode the hint then I first look at a cache description.

If the "hint" contains necessary information I print it with the hint decrypted. If the hint is very long I decrypt it before printing, put some transparent adhesive tape over the text and paint it black using a whiteboard marker so I can wipe it away if I need the hint.

I use Cachemate--it decrypts the hints but puts them in a separate menu item so I don't see them automatically.

I always skim the hints beforehand in case there are any crucial things I need to know (how to get there, any times of the day you can't access the cache, any special equipment you might need).

By the time I actually arrive at the cache, I've long since forgotten the hint, so it doesn't spoil the fun for me.

I will decode the hint before I go out if:

*The hint is longer than a few words. I don't want to be out there decoding a whole paragraph.

*The cache description says that the cache is hidden in a small park with a lot of muggles and you need to be very discrete. I'll want to get in, get the cache, and get out as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, I will look for the cache for about 30 to 45 minutes before decoding the hint.

Most of the time I do not decode the hint, if I am traveling very far or there will not be phone service then I'll print the hints encrypted and play the decode game trail side as a last resort. I have from time to time phoned in to someone to check the listing and hint at the hint. Often times the hints are to helpful.

I usually don't decode the hint or read the earlier logs before leaving for the hunt. If it seems I can't find the cache on the spot, I'll start decrypting. On some occations, like others have described, e.g. when I know I won't have much time on the cache site, or if the hint is very long, I've decrypted the hint before leaving.

I use GPXsonar, so the hint is decoded, but hidden from view. When I've spent an appropriate amt of time searching and I feel like a hint, I'll pull out the pocket pc and read it.

Same here. I usually wait until I feel I've exhausted all possibilities then highlight the hint area.

ok I guess I should state when I decode since I started the thread. Personally I wait till i've searched for a good while, usually longer than a half hour. I like to use it as a last resort.

Seems there is a large group that does both, before and after. Kind of neat to see different peoples hunting styles.

I've started decrypting the hints ahead of time.

It seems like the use of hints by different cache owners really varies. Some use clever clues that don't quite make sense until you're out at or near the cache site. I love those! Others give it away in the clue. It's hard to know when to decrypt it. I am grateful for owners who let you know that they give it away in the hint so you know not to decrypt it right away.

I was really annoyed by one owner who put an encrypted hint on the page. I was stumped, so I decrypted it trailside... it said "you shouldn't need a hint, silly" or something to that effect. :P If I didn't think I needed a hint, I wouldn't have bothered to decrypt it. I think it's nice to have hints in case a cacher really can't find it.

I was really annoyed by one owner who put an encrypted hint on the page. I was stumped, so I decrypted it trailside... it said "you shouldn't need a hint, silly" or something to that effect. :P If I didn't think I needed a hint, I wouldn't have bothered to decrypt it. I think it's nice to have hints in case a cacher really can't find it.

Here's five pages of similar cases. :P

I generally don't decrypt until I need the hint (the timing depends alot on how the old brain is working at the time). I use Cachemate, which will decrypt at any time. I have it set to keep the hints encrypted - that way I can check to see if there is a hint without reading it (it eases the mind knowing I have a fallback postion).

I also have Hint Decoder 1.1 (available on the GC.com Link page) - I use it when the hint is multi-part or long (I'll take a line at a time). Just be careful to copy text, not over-write - I did that once and had to return home to get the hint again.

By the time I actually arrive at the cache, I've long since forgotten the hint, so it doesn't spoil the fun for me.

exactly!

and, for me the joy is in discovering the location where the cache is, not spending 20-60 minutes searching through every tree root or fallen log...

now, deceptive micro hides where the hide is the object... i never see hints given for these, which is perfectly fine by me... if you can't find it and need a more blatant hint, that's when you email the cache owner for more info.

so, yes, i always read the hints before hand, and don't worry about having 'cheated'. The goal is to have a good time, and find the cache, and that's what I do.

When we first started, we decoded right away. We found that it made it too easy a lot of times and took some fun out of it for us so now we wait until we need the help. Usually one of us will start decoding and reading off the words while the other keeps looking. Most of the time we end up finding it before we decode the whole thing. I must admit, I do like having clues as a backup! :P

I was really annoyed by one owner who put an encrypted hint on the page. I was stumped, so I decrypted it trailside... it said "you shouldn't need a hint, silly" or something to that effect.  :P  If I didn't think I needed a hint, I wouldn't have bothered to decrypt it. I think it's nice to have hints in case a cacher really can't find it.

Here's five pages of similar cases. :D

After reading this - I changed the hint on mine so thanks. Really, it should be pretty obvious when your there, even for a first time cacher. But, it's a good point that if you're decoding hint, you might need one.