My Latest Brilliant Idea

flask

okay, so i'd love to drive out to some cache dense areas and really let 'er rip. the cost of lodging in addition to the cost of gas gets prohibitive.

and i was thinking that there are a lot of cachers who i wouldn't mind tossing a tent on my lawn and using my shower. if i'm feeling particulary jaunty, i might even allow kitchen privileges, but that's be a stretch since i tend toward anti-social.

anyway, it'd be nice to have a registry of geocachers who would be willing to have you park in their driveway and pitch a tent in the yard. not to make actual reservations, but a handy way to see whom you might ask.

for instance:

enclosed yard. soft grass. suitable for tent. no shower, not social.

or:

hook up you rv. call ahead and we'll make dinner. all welcome.

or:

camping for geocachers we recognize only. showers, no pets.

you get the idea. it'd be up to you to make the contacts, but you'd have an idea of where you might be welcome.

i'm not a very happy houseguest; i just want a hot shower and a place to pitch my tent. i don't want to make chitchat. i just want to sleep. i like my little tent, and i like my space. likewise i don't want a parade of houseguests (i don't even like people i know coming to stay with me), but i'd be happy to have y'all toss your tent up, and i might share my dinner.

some of you geniuses out there can probably think of a way to make something useful out of this.

Interesting concept on a larger scale than I have experienced.

Lots of people already do similar things here in Texas. We have so many events, everybody KNOWS everyone else (Even those hundreds of miles distant.) and it's natural.

I'm not ready to volunteer, but I'd be interested in the outcome.

SNOOG9.jpg

It is a good idea (but I am still pondering) if you could find a way to make a registry/database of the info so people could access it and then contact the people if necessary.

Depending on the state of my house, I would almost always welcome a cacher to pitch a tent in the yard and use the facilities if I had notice they were coming. Since I am social, I would hope that we could share some dinner or beer. I don't know that I would want my place thought of as merely a campgound. I would welcome visitors with the idea that as fellow cachers we would share some stories as part of the visit.

Of course, Nebraska is not exactly a cache vacation hot spot. So I guess I am safe from having tons of people suddenly want to camp in my yard. I could see where in some areas, people might say "yes, I will welcome all" and then get overwhelmed. I know that while I welcome visitors, I would not want visitors all the time.

Neat idea for some sort of registry for traveling cachers. My first instinct is to say no tents in the yard. No strangers just camping out. But if I met you on the trail or at an event I'd probably be pretty quick to offer up the guest room the next time you are in town.

Slightly OT but related to another new topic-the pool and hot tub are always clothing optional-but then again the spare room is guest optional too :P

There is a similar concept among long distance (like across-the-country long distance) bicyclists. I can't remember what it's called but it could be a good model.

Our neighborhood association prohibits us from even parking on the street, let alone camping in the yard. We could point you to a decent hotel in the area though and provide you with a list of our top 100 must-see caches in the area.

Man I just had a funny thought.

Bear with me. Google (or a person working at google) is working on a network project where you are invited in as a person that someone already in trusts. The trust exists before the invite.

Take the same idea for the pitch a tent listing. Now you build a yard tent network that way. In theory you have a trustworthy network of people and yards you can work with.

The funny thought was that such a network could have me staying in Harralds yard.

Hi...cool idea,
  • tent space with fire-pit in the ADKs for a couple of geocachers at a time
  • no house priveliges
  • fresh/clean water (ala hose, but it's great water)
  • we're early to bed/rise, but whatever works for you

nfa-jamie

great, jamie, we're coming tuesday.

just so you don't panic, i'll tel you now that it's a joke. we'll keep it in mind, though, because we do come to the ADKs every now and then, and not only do campsties get expensive, but in the fall they get non-existant. i'm good to go at cold temperatures. i have TWO winter rated bags and i use em both. and we have those solar showers, so no house privileges is ok with us.

but if there's a fire pit, okillezzzz will want to cook dinner and you'll want to have whatever he's making, i guarantee it.

It's funny you bring this up, when summers are hotter, I've been known to throw a tent in my own yard...

As I just did a local geocaching contest, and some folks from out of town tried it for a day, the very same thought occurred to me, they could have stayed overnight in my yard.

But then I thought, the kitchen's in the midst of renovation, they'd need bathroom access--bit excessive.

So put me down for tent in yard--no facilities access (but many restaurants within a block or two) by reservation only.

I like it,

Randy

This is a great idea. Maybe we could talk ElDiablo into making it a feature of Today's Cacher. 

It could easily be a global registar.

:D  :D

I can be interested in the idea...for beer!

El Diablo

Will print/edit for beer...... :P:D:D

Interesting idea though!

Edited by woof n lulu

When I was single , no prob. Heck ,I used to invite homeless people to sleep on my couch (that ended when I discovered one suffered from "nocturnal incontenance" and ruined my couch).

Nowadays it would be tough to convince my wife that its cool for someone I've only met online to come over and spend the night, whether on our couch, or in our driveway. Still, its a great idea.

Nice idea Flask!

• Anyone welcome...but space is very limited (With Notice)
  • Beer is always a plus
  • No room to camp...apartment landlord wouldn't like that...but there is about 50 wooded yards between this apt complex and the one next to us...no one would know!
  • One bedroom...so no in house guests (unless it's a cute 18-30 year old single girl/woman)

Edited by SixTen

One thing about it, geocachers are definitely a mixed breed with diverse ways and ideas about life. That could be good or bad depending on your take on life, but overall, everyone that we've met has been pretty darn ok. We have plenty of room to throw a tent up so this could be pretty cool and helpful to others for a night.

In that database of course could be your general location, your email address, and the accomodations offered. Would be nice to have the database also consist of a place for you to rate "guests" that have partaken of your hospitality. Say when they leave you can click "good", "so so", or "dont come back"! Also have a comment section just in case you want to add anything else too. All kinds of possibilities, neat idea flask! :P

Nice yard, shower access with notice, extension cord if you need it, no pets.

5/5 cache within 20 miles.

Only problem is getting CR to go along with it.

I have wished several times that we knew people well enough to be able to do this when we travel. Fortunately I found a room in one of those extended-stay lodges for $25/night for the event we are attending in NC this week-end.

I heard this idea and I thought it was awesome. But then I remembered that I swore I had heard this idea before...

Try Couch Surfing

I found that site a while ago while searching for "Cyber Culture" or something like that. Anyway, it has the basic functionality of what you're looking for..

Maybe someone could set up a sort of Geocachers Couch-Surfing Ring with a website listing all geocachers with Couch-surfing accounts...

Or maybe someone cool and technical minded could take a look at the innards and functionality of this site and figure out their own thing...

* One bedroom...so no in house guests (unless it's a cute 18-30 year old girl/woman)

When would you like me to be there?

Sorry I can't add myself to the list... The problems with apartment life, unfortunately, although there are a few of you who I know well enough that my couch would always be open to.

there are a few categories of cacher in terms of who i'd want tenting in my yard:

people i know and like. these people get dinner.

people i know OF and have no objection to. mopar, for instance, falls into this category. i've never had a conversation with him, but i've read some of his posts and some of his logs and i'd be comfortable letting him into the house to use the bathroom. on later inspection he might qualify for dinner.

people i have never hear of, who might qualify provided they have made appropriate correspondance and have an introduction.

and then there's

people whom i have heard of and do not want around.

even if i know you well, i will probably prefer a tent site with shower privileges to the guest room. i'm serious about this.

and i haven't gone to the NNY site to check it out, jamie, but after i get home tonight i will.

I love the idea. Don't think... scratch that, I know my wife would not go for it. Maybe I won't tell her. Just show up and set up camp. I'll figure out a way to explain later.

You'll have running water, electric, acre of property, no facilties and my wife chasing you down the street with a shot gun. B)

Hi,

Check this "Geo-Hostel" database out...you don't need to be a member. Anybody can add a spot, it's organized by 50 state plus "Other", it's free (a big factor for me), and it gives you as much room as you want to give information.

I assume that somebody with real smarts could set up a real database, and they probably will, but this might be a good place to start and see how it goes.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA