Geowoodstock 3 Event

This thread is for discussion and planning of Geowoodstock 3. I would hope that someone from the organization that held the first two can respond also. I would not like any ill will to be caused by an apparent hijacking of the event they have so nobly envisioned and produced.

Another thing that could be done- leave Geowoodstock as a Tennessee event for the 4th of July weekend, and come up with a new name, date and other things for a national event as previously discussed in this thread.

I would not like any ill will to be caused by an apparent hijacking of the event they have so nobly envisioned and produced.

Great point ! Geowoodstock is the brainchild of someone who has made this event a huge success. They should be the one to determine what happens to GWS3.

Just by way of clarification I spoke in general terms with JoGps while at GeoWoodstock2 about the possiblities of moving the event to another location. One of the issuses that Joe Presented to me was that the original purpose of Woodstock was a gathering of the top 10 cachers in the country. At GeoWoodstock the idea of a" noble pursuit" is that the event is designed to be " all about the numbers." So as you hear the people from NEFGA using that as a selling point we feel like we are only carrying on a tradition that was already started. We in no way want to hijack anything from the creators of GeoWoodstock, we are only responding to an invitation from JoGps and his group to volunteer to host the next event. I think what might be perceived as our organization trying to hijack this event is simply our enthusisasm for what we believe we can offer the cachers from around the country and the world. It amazes me that other organizations have not stepped up to the plate and asked to hold the event. We understand it is a very large undertaking and I am sure quite an expensive undertaking to assume the responsibilty for such an event. Yet we feel that Northeast Florida has so much to offer the caching community that we are willing to accept that cost and dedicate the effort it will take to carry on the fine tradition that has been handed down.

I totally understand the point of Florida not being centrally located and that could be an issue, but as others of my organization have pointed out air fare into Jacksonville is quite reasonable. It may well be that some would not want to drive to Jacksonville just to cache yet we have many people who come here to visit our many attractions throughout the State and make a week of caching as well. So I don't believe travel would be that big of an issue. Some may have to fly rather than drive and I am sure that arrangements can be made on our end to assist those who come without transportation or for those that have other areas of need. We have such a vast variety of oppurtunites for recreation both caching and otherwise to offer here we just feel that our area is an outstanding choice of venues for GeoWoodstock3.

As far as the date goes I spoke with JoGps about this issue as well while we were at Woodstock and as far as I can go with that is this. JoGps and the top cachers in the World established GeoWoodstock, they started this tradition,if they wanted to change where and when it will be held it is certainly in their right to do so. If we are honored enough to be allowed to host next year's event our commitment to them will be to follow their requests as far as the date of the event.

I sincerly agree with Corps of Discovery that we need to keep this debate friendly and above board. I certainly don't want to see this as so many other threads in these forums do just turn into a flame war. I would encorage any of the other Organizations who are interested please step up and present your reasons for why you should hold GeoWoodstock3. Myself and the other cachers from NEFGA look forward to hearing from you all.

The Federation

President Northeast Florida Geocaching Assoc.

<snip> We in no way want to hijack anything from the creators of GeoWoodstock, we are only responding to an invitation from JoGps and his group to volunteer to host the next event. I think what might be perceived as our organization trying to hijack this event is simply our enthusisasm for what we believe we can offer the cachers from around the country and the world. <snip>

I'm sorry.

I in no way meant to imply that you, or your organization, were trying to hijack the event. I was just thinking that we were ALL going on talking about it as if it were a fait accompli, when in fact we had had NO input from the Tennessee org. yet.

Again, I'm sorry for that misunderstanding.

<snip>

As far as the date goes I spoke with JoGps about this issue as well while we were at Woodstock and as far as I can go with that is this. JoGps and the top cachers in the World established GeoWoodstock, they started this tradition,if they wanted to change where and when it will be held it is certainly in their right to do so. If we are honored enough to be allowed to host next year's event our commitment to them will be to follow their requests as far as the date of the event.

<snip>

This is an important point that I don't think has been considered yet. How will the final determination, as to the where and when, of the event be held? And who will be in on the deciding? Maybe the most prolific cachers, along with a repesentative from any established local groups who wish to participate? What about input from the various websites? A general poll of cachers? Just throwing ideas out.

A suggestion, Let the team that did Geowoodsstock take a few days off to relax. Let them get their thoughts in order. THen lets hear from them as the starting point of this discussion.

Just a thought.

We did hear from the event organizer. This is what initiated this discussion.

We are in the process of selecting a site for next years “Third Annual Geo-Woodstock”

All areas in the US will be considered, if your area would like to co-host the event post it here, with why it should be in your area and what kind of physical support you have.

Sounds like a starting point to me.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Just throwing some numbers into the mix. So far, in support of Jacksonville we have numerous posts. Among them, there are posts from 7 specific cachers commiting to help stage the event. Those 7 cachers have hosted a total of 15 events between them (and helped on other events as well) and have 7000 finds between them. There are also 2 organizations available to support the event.

This is not to suggest that this is a "fait acompli", only that we have a serious offer on the table, not a whimsical, "Gee, it'd be nice if someone held it where it would be convienient for me to attend." From what I can see from the posts, it is the ONLY serious offer. Other than perhaps Colorodo.

Furthermore, this is not to suggest that a decision has to be made now, only that IF there are other venues out there with a serious interest in hosting this event, now is the time to say so. Posting where you'd like to see the event held (by someone else) is not the same as commiting to helping host the event yourself.

Having said all that, the sooner these decisions are made, the sooner the work can begin and the better the event will be - where ever it is held.

In the other topic it appeared to me that the impression was that a decision had to be made almost immediately.  To me it seems that there is plenty of time to get good discussion going if this is almost a year away.

It seems that this event is quickly becoming the "Super Bowl" of geocaching and therefore as much advance planning as possible to make it a great event is not unreasonable.

I would also suggest, that if it is going to become THE event of the year for geocaching as the most recent Geowoodstock II suggested, then we (we meaning whoever) should make it organized and formalized and even be discussing sites for 2006!

I wonder if we can get Janet Jackson for the musical performance?? :blink:

Yes, GW1 was a relatively small gathering (under 50?) of some of the top cachers (Lil' Otter, Show Me the Cache, CCCooper, BruceS, robertlipe, Southpaw, JoGPS, etc.), some admin types (like mtn-man, gln, ClayJar, etc.) and others in Louisville, KY, late June 2003. It was organized by JoGPS with the aid of Show Me The Cache in response to a request for a gathering by Lynn of CCCooper.

GW didn't start as a TN event, though the event's success there certainly reflects its potential and the growth of the game. Obviously, JoGPS was involved with the planning of both.

Here's a link the to the archived event cache.

Geo-Woodstock 1

edited to add link, date, and mtn-man's insight concerning admins in attendance :blink:

Edited by Teach2Learn

While being centerally located sounds good on paper, It adds a financial burden for geocahers that are on the east coast and the sest coast. In years past havinb been involved with the magic community (Not the Game). They have two large groups the organize large conventiops each year. What they do is move the convention betwwen the East cost, Central US and the West coast. In this way mamber on a budget can afford to attend one every teo or three years.

A suggestion, Let the team that did Geowoodsstock take a few days off to relax. Let them get their thoughts in order. THen lets hear from them as the starting point of this discussion.

Just a thought.

We did hear from the event organizer. This is what initiated this discussion.

We are in the process of selecting a site for next years “Third Annual Geo-Woodstock”

All areas in the US will be considered, if your area would like to co-host the event post it here, with why it should be in your area and what kind of physical support you have.

Sounds like a starting point to me.

does the phrase OOPS help me at this point??

I missed that post. My mistake.

Sorry all.

Thanks for catching that.

The only reviewers that made it were really just GLN and myself. JoGPS knew I was coming and played a funny joke on me. When I got there about 10 - 15 people had "mtn-man" name tags on. :blink:

Let express myself regarding the time frame a little more clearly. This discussion for next years event should go on for at least 60 days. The organizers of the event should be able to get it together in 9 - 12 months. This also gives plenty of people a chance to see this topic and to have input in it.

To me, if Florida is going to be the choice, it makes much more sense to have the event somewhere in Orlando. Flights to Orlando from many locations cost less (sometimes as much as half) of what they do going to Jacksonville. There are tons of hotels in Orlando so the cost to stay at the event would be much cheaper too. Kids going with their parent could have something to do besides just going geocaching to boot. If it is held in Florida it should probably be done in Orlando.

Despite cost, having the third GeoWoodstock in the south again does not seem fair to the rest of the country. Trust me, it is easy for me to get to Florida either by flying or by driving so if Florida is the decision then it won't be a hardship on me. My feeling is that it should be held in the Midwest or in the West. If no one steps up to the plate to help host it then so be it. As JohnnyVegas says, maybe the event coming up is the on the West coast and next year it is East coast again.

We will just have to see what more cachers have to say.

One idea might be to rotate it among already existing groups by regions as listed in the Groundspeak forums:

Great Plains

Midwest

New England

Northeast

Northwest

South/Southeast

Northeast

West/Southwest

--Communication within the regions already exists for planning, including admin. links, links to state gc websites, and moderators.

--No region is continuously burdened with the cost and planning.

--No region is viewed as continuously wanting to control the event.

--Might encourage weaker regions to bolster their gc community if they knew the event was coming to their area.

My feeling is that it should be held in the Midwest or in the West.

Yeah, I agree. Plus the people are more down to earth, friendlier and more gracious in the West.

Excuse me while I change into my super insulated, heat resistent, flame proof jumpsuit. <insert zipper sound here> Okay, I'm back, bring it on EASTERN SEABOARD. Let's see what you really got!

PS - No, I'm not trolling. Merely trying to get the West and Midwest to show as much enthusiasm as the good folks in Florida.

Edited by clearpath

Tom's brother loves bowling. For the past 30 years or more he and his wife have travelled to a different city each year for the American Bowling Congress tournament. When it is close enough to drive, they drive. When the trip necessitates a plane, they fly. He gets to enjoy his favorite sport, see a new city and the surrounding sights, and have fun with others with similar interests. Geo-Woodstock is the first opportunity for Anna Mary and I to enjoy the same experience. We plan on being at each and every one as long as they keep having them. Someday the Cleveland, OH area will be ready to host and we will definitly be in on the planning. I don't think centrally located cities should even matter. Serious cachers will find a way to get there, no matter where it is, and when it's in their area, local folks will get to experience a big blow-out mega-event.

Try not to get caught up in thinking small. Geocaching is growing and so is Geo-Woodstock. One thing you might consider, though, is a patch or coin or similar piece of memoribilia for each year. The ABC sells a new patch each year and Tom's brother has one for every year he has attended. You could have maybe 200 made and sold to recover the cost and when they're gone, they're gone. Well, that's the end of my ramble, so long live JoGPS and long live Geo-Woodstock.

Tom

SerenityNow :blink::o

Edited by SerenityNow

Yeah, I agree. Plus the people are more down to earth, friendlier and more gracious in the West.

Excuse me while I change into my super insulated, heat resistent, flame proof jumpsuit. <insert zipper sound here> Okay, I'm back, bring it on EASTERN SEABOARD. Let's see what you really got!

PS - No, I'm not trolling. Merely trying to get the West and Midwest to show as much enthusiasm as the good folks in Florida.

!!*$$ %%$ ^*@#$ %^&*@ *@#$a** !! That's the best I can give on behalf of the Eastern seaboard. ;)

I personally think that the Geo-woodstock should rotate in different areas to give all a chance to attend. Of course that depends upon each areas ability and desire to put one on. Not everyone will take a plane trip "Myself included." nor do the have the funds to do so.

El Diablo

Let express myself regarding the time frame a little more clearly. This discussion for next years event should go on for at least 60 days. The organizers of the event should be able to get it together in 9 - 12 months. This also gives plenty of people a chance to see this topic and to have input in it.

Sounds like a resonable time frame for this discussion. One thing that might be helpful is if people droping suggestions for the wheres and whens also note if they are offering their help in sponsering the event for their given where and when. We are seeing a lot of posts naming places, and many of those places have a lot of merit, however, if the the place dosen't come with warm bodies willing to put it all together, what is the point?

There is no harm in considering ANY location that comes with a credible offer of support. There is no point in considering any location that doesn't.

To me, if Florida is going to be the choice, it makes much more sense to have the event somewhere in Orlando.  Flights to Orlando from many locations cost less (sometimes as much as half) of what they do going to Jacksonville.  There are tons of hotels in Orlando so the cost to stay at the event would be much cheaper too.  Kids going with their parent could have something to do besides just going geocaching to boot.  If it is held in Florida it should probably be done in Orlando.

Logically that may make sense. The problem is those of us who have offered to take on the event and have the experience to pull it off do not live in Orlando. It would be very difficult for us (NEFGA) to do an event in Orlando.

I guess just asking them doesn't work?

To me, if Florida is going to be the choice, it makes much more sense to have the event somewhere in Orlando. 

Logically that may make sense. The problem is those of us who have offered to take on the event and have the experience to pull it off do not live in Orlando. It would be very difficult for us (NEFGA) to do an event in Orlando.

However, it would be EASY for anyone attending an event in Jacksonville to get to Orlando from Jacksonville or to Jacksonville from Orlando. It's only a two hour drive.

QUOTE (JoeMerchant @ Jul 17 2004, 06:45 PM)

QUOTE (Caraloopy @ Jul 16 2004, 10:09 PM)

...I'm about to put out some beach access micros in Fernandina (nearby) for those who want to cache in between checking out chicks in bikinis.   

Cachin' and eye candy! How's that for a great combo? 

How about micros hidden in bikinis?? I am sure that can be arranged! 

"um.. excuse me miss... I am geocaching and I, um... need to inspect your binkini." 

Sounds like an excellent reason for JAX to host next year's Geowoodstock2! B)

Slightly OT but couldn't resist-In NJ you must purchase and wear a beach badge to go on the beaches. I had a good friend in HS who managed to get a job in Bradley Beach and a badge inspector. How cool is that-getting paid to walk up to bikinied chicks and inspect them? B);):P

Back OT now- as mtn man pointed out; I started the original thread as a thank you for a great time in Nashville thread. It is drifting to page two where it now belongs and the conversations on next year are here thanks to COD. I was with the NEFGA cachers when jogps offered them the opportunity to host #3. They have picked up his gauntlet and made an offer, While it would be nice to have this event rotate around the country to be more inclusive, I have yet to see anyone else rise to the challange.

As someone who spends a lot of time at work planning catered and special events, do not underestimate the time, manpower, and expense necessary to pull this one off successfully. Also I really appreciate that effort when attending special events as a guest.

I plan on attending next year's whereever it may be. Good luck to the hosting committee; make me a reservation. :D

PS to the NEFGA/JAX crew-be sure to have plenty of pie! JoGPS and I might want to share next year.

Pennsylvania.  That gives me a reason to go home. :mad:

Hey! You're supposed to support me bringing the event to Colorado! <_<

No offense Sax. I just think PA would be sweet. Lots of nice campgrounds, dense cover (makes the hunts harder...lol), and good ol' PA potholes...lol.

I seem to recall that the AT thru PA is known as the place "where boots go to die."

Also, it's a high tax state. Do they tax caches yet?

Pennsylvania.  That gives me a reason to go home. :mad:

Hey! You're supposed to support me bringing the event to Colorado! <_<

No offense Sax. I just think PA would be sweet. Lots of nice campgrounds, dense cover (makes the hunts harder...lol), and good ol' PA potholes...lol.

I seem to recall that the AT thru PA is known as the place "where boots go to die."

Also, it's a high tax state. Do they tax caches yet?

If you are comparing PA to DE, then yes taxes are high. DE has 0%, but CO has 7.2%. I was thinking central PA.

So offer to host the event....

So offer to host the event....

Party at Clearpath's house!!!!!!!! <_<

Hmmmmmm. I guess this is the reason why I stay out of the forums as much as I do. Here we have a perfectly legitmate offer to JoGps about "His"event and another thread detoriates into another off topic pushing match. We moved this thread to a New Thread for the sole purpose of inviting other groups to state their case for why they should be allowed the privelege to stage GeoWoodstock3. Yet still no one steps up to the plate with a legitamate offer other than NEFGA. Yet we keep hearing come here,go there, pass it around. Yet no one wants to take responsibility for it. Perhaps this is a statement on caching today. Everybody wants something, give us this feature, gives us that feature and yet when an open invitation is extended to host an event with the scope and cost of Geowoodstock no one seems willing to step up and pay the price. Perhaps the same is true at GC.com if everyone was willing to step up and pay the price perhaps some of things we ask for would be forthcoming.

I think one of the things that has been lost sight of here is that this event belongs to one man primarily and I imagine he is sitting at home thinking why should I move it out of Nashville at all. I will give you one reason Joe why it should come to Florida. Because the cachers in Florida have one common belief above all others. We dedicate ourselves to the hunt. We squabble about this is a good cache or that is bad cache, some are number ho's others are not. but the one thing I believe that you will find within our communtiy of cachers is this,once we make a commitment to do something come hell or highwater it will be done.

Much has been said about centralized location, cost, scenery even the freindliness of the people in the area. I can assure you of one thing I have worked with cachers from all over Florida. I have attended events from Tampa to Nashville and I can assure you there is no better area to hold GeoWoodstock. Some towns maybe more central, some may have beter camping, some may have mountain views, some may have cooler tempratures, all are valid arguments. But one thing that no other area can say is that they have the potentail to be able to post a new world record. No one other than Nashville has the shear density and variety of caches that Jacksonville has to offer.

Now I have laid down the challenge if there is a group or organization out there who can top that then show us, The time has come to quit say coming here come there, stand up and show us all why Joe should consider your area for the unoffical National Convention of Geocachers. :P

ummm, has anybody thought about the actual physical caches in the Geo-Woodstock location ? I know SerenityNow and they told me that they found around 200 caches at Geo-Woodstock 2 (as well as on the way there and back.)

It practically necessitates the change of venue every year. If it's in the same area again will there be enough caches for people that just attended this year's event to find ? Fellowship and fun with a group is great, but c'mon, people wanna go caching !

Just a thought :P

edited to cahnge my point around a little :P

Edited by Team Hydnckr
Florida in summer?  :P

more whining? SHEESH! I grew up in Maryland and the summers there were just as hot - they just didn't last as long. It is much cooler in Jacksonville than out West. Maybe we should consider finding Nirvana and having Geo-3 there? Sorry to be rude but I am getting sick of off-topic posts! I want to get this issue settled so we can get to work.

Edited by paintfiction