Animal As A Cache?

Here's an odd idea.  I do not know if this would ever fly, and I can think of a few good reasons why not, but I thought I'd bring it up and see what everyone else thinks.

How about a very small microcache attached to the collar of an animal that is routinely allowed to wander free in a neigborhood?  The cache coordinates would get you into the area wherein the animal is often found, and it is then up to the seeker to catch the animal, retrieve the cache, sign the book, reattach the cache, and set the animal loose again.

Perhaps a variation might be to use the animal as a stage in a multi-cache, with the animal just bearing a tag with the coordinates for the next stage.

I'm thinking, in particular, of an especially friendly and distinctive cat in the neighborhood in which I have just moved (no, I wouldn't use that cat without first getting permission from the humans that are owned by the cat).

I guess the biggest reason not to allow this might be the risk that an overly zealous seeker might carelessly mistreat the animal in order to get the cache and to restrain the animal until the cache is reattached.  Also of concern is the risk that if the animal is not sufficiently cooperative, the seeker might be unable to reattach the cache before the animal gets loose and runs off.

Any thoughts on this idea?

(no, I wouldn't use that cat without first getting permission from the humans that are owned by the cat).

Well, at least you got your priorities right! :(

I'm thinking bad idea. If a cat owned me I wouldn't want people driving right up to it, taking the cat as a whole cuz it would be easier than writing down the coordinate number, the dumping the cat off at the cache.

Also, a cache maggot might steal the cat so noone else can claim it.

These are worst case scenarios... but I wouldn't want to train any animal that every car that stops by is a good person... or can see them and will stop...

Neighborhood Watch group might also be a tad peeved...

Edited by New England n00b

If it's a dead animal then it's not a moving cache is it. :(:(:P

There is the option of using a 'stuffed' animal. For instance, you might have a mounted fish that you could hang on your front porch and have the cache hidden in the fish. Instead of a mounted fish visit Wal-mart and get a singing fish instead (if they still have them!).

I can just see someone walking up to a singing fish and just as they reach for the cache it starts moving and singing. :P

John

**LMAO****

Oh Yeah!

So, I'm picturing us, out caching. We like to take our 'puppy' with us. He's a Newf weighing in about 180 pounds. He doesn't like squirrels, rabbits and he REALLY doesn't like cats. I can see it now: We spot the cache and so does he...in a blaze of dust he's broken the leash and in less than 60 seconds, he's um....'found' the cache. I don't think the cache will ever be the same....poor fluffy...... :(

Ummmmmm, you sooooo want to download this very short clip.

Saw that when it first began to circulate and I still haven't decided if I think it's hysterically funny or appalling. I go back and forth. On the one hand, I have a cruel sense of humor. But on the other, I have a soft fruit filling.

I remembered that I had an animal cache once. I hid a cache in a large bird cage under a stuff chicken. That chicken looks real. Several people took a step back when they spotted it.

Key word is "stuffed". It's not going to run away or struggle or bite you.

Bad Idea? That depends on the animal. The cache is viable but it would take an animal that likes strangers, that is well known etc. etc. etc.

In concept it's not any worse than say a caches mounted on a vehcile thats making a cross country trip, or the ham games they have played with a mobile transmitter that people can find, or one on a car that frequents several locations.

All of these ideas have been discussed. Wasn't it the St. Bernard that was the original cache anyway with that Barrel around it's neck?

I remembered that I had an animal cache once. I hid a cache in a large bird cage under a stuff chicken. That chicken looks real. Several people took a step back when they spotted it.

yep, that was a good one. Only had me going for a couple of minutes. You should have used an animated Rooster!

I could forsee a K-9 dog or petting zoo animal being a better target for this than a stray/neighborhood cat.

Something that has the prerequisite of being tamed and willing to work with the general public.

Hamsters are cuddly and furry. But I guess a moving hamstercache would have to be a micro. That could be a problem. :D