My Wife Doesn't Understand Me....

UK_Explorer

My wife and I are both keen hikers, and have been for many years. I convinced her that we *needed* a GPSr, and while investigating which unit to get (60CS), discovered geocaching.

I was hooked immediately, but my other half is not interested. We combine geocaching and hiking, and that keeps here happy, and the disparaging comments she makes while I'm hunting for caches seem to keep her occupied.

A typical cache hunt goes:

Her: are we there yet?

Me: 30 feet to go!

Her: I bet it's un der that tree there.

Me: Well, the GPS says its a bit further on. Hang on...

Her: OK. I'll just wait here then.

[insert 10 minutes of me searching under all obvious (to me) locations]

Her: haven't you found it yet?

At which point, I look under the tree that she first suggested, and of course it's there....

So, my question is: how do you all deal with lackof interest from your better halves? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation, am I??

Stuart.

You are luckier than I am - my wife doesn't share my passion for high tech tupperware hunting either. But at least your wife enjoys hiking. I can sometimes convince my wife to do a nature walk, but only if there are clean restrooms with flush toilets and running water at convenient intervals.

ok so she's not interested in the cache (though she's a godsend for finding the well hidden ones! so what? you both enjoy the hiking, she'll get to enjoy the other aspect of caching ie finding new locations. if she doesn't get much from the actual cache it doesn't matter she has got something from geocaching. i mean how many people just log an entry with tnln. what's the difference between that and what you're wife does? enjoy your time together. don't expect her to like evrything you do.

Well for my family and I Cachng is the perfect compromise. My wife likes to go for walks. I hate going when there is no purpose. With caching, she gets to have her walks, and I have an objective to complete. Keeps us both happy. And our 3 year old daughter absolutely loves finding treasures and she enjoys the hikes (even though she often ends up asleep on my shoulders) Its the perfect hobby with something for everyone.

MH

At first my wife, Donna, was bored with Geocaching because she didn't understand exactly what I was doing. I gave her a printed log sheet to look at before setting out one day and that helped quite a bit. Once she knew what we were looking for she got more and more into it. She has done well finding caches. Heck next thing you know she's going to be wanting her own GPS :huh:

Zack

She will come around to your way of thinking.

Just wait until she ends up finding something in a cache that she likes. :huh:

I think my wife likes finding the lotto tickets someone has been leaving in the caches around here.

My wife acts like she is not interested and has even said a couple times she's not going, but when it come time to leave she's right there with me ready to go. :huh:

My wife was lukewarm about it first, but now enjoys it a lot

Typical conversation for us:

Me: My GPS says 76 feet, how about yours?

Her: 73, I think mine's more accurate than yours.

Me: Its pointing to that rock pile, I bet thats where it is.

Her: Mine too, whats yours say now.

Me:50 feet

Her: Me too

Me: Time to put the GPS down and search

Her: Its taking me over there

Me: I found it

Her: dadgum! Again! Why can't I ever find one first?

Women are always right.

If it feels right, its wrong.

So if its wrong you have to do it on the sly.

If you get caught, just tell her "well, it least its not another woman!"

Hopefully, she'll agree and say your right. :huh:

Mine is lukewarm too, but enjoys them when she does go, and enjoys some of the thought behind some of them.

My better half will only go if: there won't be any aimless driving around; the GPSr will not be jumpy; the location will be spectacular, with no poison ivy or weird bugs; the cache will be found within 3 minutes, and all items in the cache will be fabulous and practical prizes! :huh: I'm addicted--and it's rough going, to get away and get some caching done. :huh:

Good luck! My better half doesn't understand the joy of this game but she is more of a couch potato than I.

What part of the hiking does she enjoy? Make sure you give HER particular likes equal time. When I grab a cache on a trip I try to make sure there is some shopping involved. Sometimes I'll drop her off at the little shops and go grab one then pick her up after I'm done.

I have the reverse of your problems...my husband doesn't understand me! He sees no redeeming qualities in trapsing through the woods looking for tupperware filled with McToys or a nano the size of a bullet. It's difficult to find enough reasons to send him out with the guys so I can cache. He doesn't like me to cache alone so I try to find a partner. I would cache every weekend but I find myself caching only about one or two days a month.

Well it seems that no matter how I try to explain or show my other half about geocaching, she just doesn't care. If there is the slightest chance she will get dirty, hot and sweaty, it ain't gonna happen. So I just leave her to her couch, the A?C and her telephone. The kids seem to enjoy it though.

My wife is not interested so far. She has my daughter most of the time by herself, so this is a chance for us to do something together without Mommy. I think all 3 of us prefer it this way. My wife seems slightly interested, but she avoids tech. (My daughter has been able to use the computer better than Mommy since she was 3 years old) :huh:

Sagar

My wife does not like caching and almost always refuses to go with me.

However one time she decided to go.

We pulled into the parking area for a multi-cache. She pointed at this stump and said, I bet it's there! "No way.... this is a multi and the GPS is pointing way out there on the Jetty". So, I head out to the Jetty and find WP1 and get the coordinates for the final. It was in the stump she originally pointed at.

The very next cache, she pointed at this old dead tree, but the GPS was pulling me elsewhere. I should have listened, because after 15 minutes of looking everywhere else I found the cache in that old dead tree.

I am waiting to see how my wife will do the next time I suggest we go caching. I took her and the 11yr old neice that spends summers with us to try a new cache placed less than 2 miles from the house. Well that was a DNF. The other I had previously got and they got close, so I helped a little. The problem was as we started the wife got ate up with mosquitoes. When we got back to the house there was one tick on me and 1 on the neice. I have the bug and will continue, just hope the wife will catch the bug.

wrlwnd