Getting Started? Getting Stopped.

Scotaku

Here is my take. You should be allowed to delte your personal info and give up your account. However your geocaching name has finds and those finds have logs and those logs are now part of the history of the game and those caches. To remove those takes away from the cache history and removes part of the experiene of the game.

That's my opinion. I'd like to see what the site admins policy is.

Oh yes I do. Where there's a database, there's a purge data function and I want out of both of these.

It's kinda like your phone service. You can stop paying your phone bill and close your account, but the calls you made are still listed in the phone company billing records.

When you travel through life, the footprints you leave don't belong to you.

Good luck.

Alan

Edited by Alan2
Thanks for the prime example of "why"

???

Maybe this is why <_<

My very first cache is being sat on by some elitist (it's in his handle) who will neither follow his own opening advice to me nor grant my request for a second, perhaps less anal, pair of eyes on my submission.

Ok, that might have something to do with why he wants to quit (what cache reviewer has "elitist" in his handle though?), but I dont get what his last remark was for?

It seems like he's mad that a forum mod moved it from a place where TPTB would probably never see it, to a place the owner of the website monitors and might actually answer his question. :lol:

Edited by Mopar
Thanks for the prime example of "why"

???

Maybe this is why <_<

My very first cache is being sat on by some elitist (it's in his handle) who will neither follow his own opening advice to me nor grant my request for a second, perhaps less anal, pair of eyes on my submission.

Ok, that might have something to do with why he wants to quit (what cache reviewer has "elitist" in his handle though?), but I dont get what his last remark was for?

It seems like he's mad that a forum mod moved it from a place where TPTB would probably never see it, to a place the owner of the website monitors and might actually answer his question. :lol:

No pleasing everyone :lol:

Here is my take. You should be allowed to delte your personal info and give up your account. However your geocaching name has finds and those finds have logs and those logs are now part of the history of the game and those caches. To remove those takes away from the cache history and removes part of the experiene of the game.

That's my opinion. I'd like to see what the site admins policy is.

Well put. I agree 100% with this.

I agree as well. Personal information should be able to be deleted. At some point, it likely could become a law anyway. I know there are things in the works already.

What doesn't likely need to deleted is non-personal information. Personal information is defined as something that can identify an individual. That would be attributes of that individual such as their name, address, phone, email, etc. What isn't personally identifiable is a log entry. I can't locate an individual with nothing more then their log entry if their personal account info was removed. The site will somehow need to leave an account record for data integrity purposes, but that account (including their "handle") is also not a piece of personal identifiable info so that shouldn't be an issue.

Another way of looking at what doesn't need to be removed are "transactions". Those transactions are not personal identifiable. A log entry, forum post, etc are "transactions" executed by an individual.

Edited by Team DEMP

To keep this discussion in this thread (which is why it was opened) obviously I want my personal information removed from these places. The transactions can be removed as well, preferably. Now, who has an actual answer to the question instead of speculation and/or cheap shots?

To keep this discussion in this thread (which is why it was opened) obviously I want my personal information removed from these places. The transactions can be removed as well, preferably. Now, who has an actual answer to the question instead of speculation and/or cheap shots?

It's now 5:20am in Seattle, WA, where this company is based. The topic was moved here at 8:30pm, their time. You might want to at least allow them somewhat normal working hours before complaining they haven't answered yet.

And to stay on topic, I agree with RK and Devine and the rest. You can remove your personal info (and you can already edit that out of your profile) but the rest is history. You can't change the fact that you already visited caches, and you already wrote in the log books. You can't change the past. The cache logs are the history of the cache. Like it or not, you chose to be part of that history. Those records should stay.

Edited by Mopar

I believe that you can remove any information from your profile that you want. You can edit out everything and leave a blank profile. you can also change your name to something less identifiable. I guess you could also delete your cache logs but that would be as silly as placing a cache 4500 miles from home. You found them and enjoyed finding them and was having a good time untill you were told that the rule of no caches outside of your normal caching area really did apply to you too. Bottom line: I believe that you can remove what you need removed.

Are you bucking for approver status? If, "You can remove your personal info (and you can already edit that out of your profile) but the rest is history," then how do I get the accounts purged? That's the questions. Obviously I cannot change the facts of where I've been. It would be nice, I believe I just used the word "preferable", to remove the visits from the logs I've touched, but that's not what I've asked for. This is like a bad episode of Star Trek.

There are clearly two types of users to go along with the oddly split data and forum sites... man am I wishing I could have stuck to the one and never known about the other.

Crack of dawn or no, the question remains unanswered. Thank you for your insights on how to edit logs and remove profile details. I want to remove my accounts. How do I do that? Hopefully the opening post will suffice without the fog below.

I really like that saying... hope you don't mind if I use it now and then...

Scotaku - It seems that this game is too stressful for you to play by the rules like the rest of us. I hope you can find something simpler and more relaxing to do with your time.

edited: corrected spacing <_<

Edited by Doc-Dean

Scotaku Perhaps you should have considered the fact that you are unable to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish before you signed up and started caching instead of crying about it afterwards. No one here forced you to start in the first place, if you were concerned about your ability to remove all traces of yourself before you started you should have investigated before agreeing to sign up.

We know you're trying to prove some kind of point by starting this thread but it's just a waste of everyone's time (including your own).

As stated in the Groundspeak terms of service that you agreed to upon registration:

All materials available on or through the Site, other than Third Party Submissions (collectively, the “Site Materials”) are the property of Groundspeak or of its licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws.
If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

Therefore anything you've added to the site is no longer solely yours, therefore you have no grounds to request it be removed.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

From the Terms 'o Service:

...You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

The foregoing license rights are intended to provide to Groundspeak all rights under existing and future laws, including without limitation all rights under copyright and any other rights personal to You to publish the Submission on the Site, use the Submission in publicity and promotional materials for the Site and to create new Sites or derivative works (including without limitation by combining the Submission with other content) for public display or performance via any and all media or technology now known or later developed. The foregoing rights may be licensed and sublicensed through unlimited tiers of third parties.

By creating an account on this site, you agreed to the Terms of Service. Groundspeak has the right to retain anything you create on the site as a member. They do not seem to be under any obligation to remove anything if you choose to leave.

I really like that saying... hope you don't mind if I use it now and then...

Scotaku - It seems that this game is too stressful for you to play by the rules like the rest of us. I hope you can find something simpler and more relaxing to do with your time.

edited: corrected spacing <_<

Scotaku - It seems that this game is too stressful for you to play by the rules like the rest of us.  I hope you can find something simpler and more relaxing to do with your time.

Au contraire, I found the game quite enjoyable and I'll probably keep playing though I'll be thinking twice about telling anyone here. It's the other players in this most recent episode that have soured it for me. Alas, you won't see this reply until one of them says okay. Apparently I've not been clever enough in my brinksmanship and now have to hold hands. Don't worry, if I find what I'm looking for I won't be bothering you again.

I almost hate to mention this because I would hate to see it happen but you can delete all of your own logs if you want to. You will have to go to your "My Cache Page" and click on each cache to find your log and delete it but it can be done. You can also "clean out" your profile so that it contains no information if you choose. Looks to me like it cantians virtually no information now.

Edited for clarity. (I hope)

Edited by Cannonlaw

Just be aware the "deleting" logs doesn't remove them from the database, they are just marked to not show on the cache page. In the past TPTB have unmarked logs that were wrongly "deleted" and they reappeared on the cache page.

Edited by AllenLacy
Just be aware the "deleting" logs doesn't remove them from the database, they are just marked to not show on the cache page.  In the past TPTB have unmarked logs that were wrongly "deleted" and they reappeared on the cache page.

Besides that, you will never be able to remove all traces. Like Alan so gracefully said, once you've made your mark, you can't remove it. Your cache logs have probably been cached by search engines like google, and sites like archive.org.

Besides that, they've been sent out to every cacher that's ever requested a Pocket Query that included caches you found after you found them. Even if you could remove all traces from the website, they still exist in thousands of other places all over the world.

Edited by Mopar

My Grandma always told me that "you can't take back your words".... it is more true on the web. I once saw a case similar to this in another unrelated group. A member said some awefull things and even threatened others, then he wanted his words removed. He even took it to court and won to have his words removed...but by the time the logs were deleted many other people in the group had coppied the entire log, so his words live on and on and on, you get the drift...

Anyway and all it did was waste a lot of people time,court time, money, and cause a lot of frustration for everyone. It was a bad deal for everyone because the log files were huge and it would take too much time and effort to remove all his words ( since others had quoted him ) that the web host had to delete many months of the log, and of course that deleted everything everyone said. I'm glad to see that this site has some solid legal wording to prevent such a thing here.

Are you bucking for approver status? If, "You can remove your personal info (and you can already edit that out of your profile) but the rest is history," then how do I get the accounts purged? That's the questions. Obviously I cannot change the facts of where I've been. It would be nice, I believe I just used the word "preferable", to remove the visits from the logs I've touched, but that's not what I've asked for. This is like a bad episode of Star Trek.

I thought you wanted "...an actual answer...instead of...cheap shots?

Sounds like you need to take aim, because everyone who disagrees with you or says something you don't like gets a shot fired at them.

Just like everyone else has said. It's would take too many resources to simply make you disappear. All logs ever made are not really deleted, just sort of archived. And really, any info you ever put on this site is bound to be posted many other places by other people.

To remove you, Jeremy would have to delete all your posts, your logs, and your account, and then delete all the archived copies of it.

But in answering your question it is possible to delete an account (I believe hydee can do it) but the info will still be hidden somewhere in Groundspeak's secret vaults...

How do I remove my account from the geocaching.com and Groundspeak.com forums? It's not covered in the FAQ's but I'm sure someone will have a link my stupid nff has missed in the myriad of rules.

This has already been hashed out here. (Nobody's markwelled it yet?) Ya want out? Clear your profile, change your email address to something bogus, delete the geocaching.com bookmark from your browser, and walk away. No need to crank up the drama.

Au contraire, I found the game quite enjoyable and I'll probably keep playing though I'll be thinking twice about telling anyone here. It's the other players in this most recent episode that have soured it for me. Alas, you won't see this reply until one of them says okay. Apparently I've not been clever enough in my brinksmanship and now have to hold hands. Don't worry, if I find what I'm looking for I won't be bothering you again.

Scotaku,

That's the thing about these forums. Too many people quick to jump on you for something like this. You made a mistake, no biggie. Learn from it, don't go down in a ball of flames.

If you meet the locals, you'll find people are a lot nicer to your face than they are over the forums. Come on up to our Meet & Greet in Hagerstown on Saturday, you'll see what I mean. :lol:

Hope to see you there. And no, you don't have to log the finds if you don't want to! :D

Scotaku,

Here is my advice to you. Clear your profile page. Stop caching. Don't delete your logs, they are history. Then turn around, walk away, and don't look back. In about 3 days or so we will all have forgotten you even existed, as soon as this thread is pushed off onto page 2. I really don't see what your beef is, but I'm guessing that you hid a cache far from home. That was your mistake and why it will never be approved no matter how many approvers look at it. I really will never understand why people can get their panties in such a twist over a hobby that is this much fun. Don't sweat the small stuff, you'll end up with health problems. Stop, smell the roses. Have someone retrieve the cache and send it back to you. Take a walk. Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Count to 20! I hope you find peace and contentment somewhere else. This might not be your game. I sure wish you could have understood and not resorted to calling names and foul language (albeit spelled wrong I still know what you wrote). That never gets anyone anywhere anytime in anything in life. You'll get more flies with honey than you will with vinegar. Don't worry, be happy.

I'm out of popcorn.

Scotaku,

Here is my advice to you. Clear your profile page. Stop caching. Don't delete your logs, they are history.

Too late, he already did. Of course his wife logs seperate, so it's not like they are really gone. Besides, like I said, nothing REALLY gets deleted on the internet.

Hawaii  Thursday, May 13, 2004

Scotaku found Brad and Myrna's Honeymoon Cache (Traditional Cache)     

This cache earned my vote for the best cache I've found, yet. What an incredible site! Mahalo, Brad and Myrna!

took- lots of pictures

left- feeling like a million bucks 

It's still all out there. :lol:

afaict, he is po'd because his vacation cache was not approved. I know a few geocachers who are similarly disappointed. They got over it.

Vacation caches are not allowed. The debate was a big stink, bigger than anything you could raise, Scotaku.