Don't Get Eaten!

The 2 Dogs

Following another recent spate of deaths and near misses in remote areas of Australia, I thought it might be an idea to remind intending tourists, and both local and touring geocachers coming down under, to take care in outback Australia especially during our summer months.

Last week we had an English tourist died of thirst and heat exhaustion and just yesterday a group of local boys had to scramble for their lives up a tree and watch in horror as their friend was attacked and killed by a 4 metre (12ft) Crocodile.

The Australian terrain is not to be treated lightly. Some of our roads are the hottest, driest and most remote in the world. with days even weeks between passing cars so you need to consider this when taking off into the wilderness.

Always take plenty of water, food, communication equipment and suitable clothing.

Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Here is an example of a cache you need to be carefull when doing....

BERRY GOOD

This time of year is particularly bad for Crocs. so don't tempt fate. Obey all the warning signs

History has proven that for some reason, Crocs are particularly partial to Yanks. ;) so if you really want to go swimming in a NT river, make sure you go with someone who knows the area.

Of course Crocs are not the only thing to worry about, there's....

Funnel Web Spiders

Death Adders

Box Jelly fish....

the list goes on.

But we still love living down under.

The 2 dogs.

Edited by The 2 Dogs

The Australian terrain is not to be treated lightly. Some of our roads are the hottest, driest and most remote in the world. with days even weeks between passing cars so you need to consider this when taking off into the wilderness.

Always take plenty of water, food, communication equipment and suitable clothing.

Crocs are particularly partial to Yanks. :D

Yeah, yeah Mr. Dundee....you don't scare me. This sounds just like Texas, and I've been there and the antidote is the same....beer and plenty of it! ;)

Are there any animals in Australia that won't eat, maim or poison you?

Come to think of it I don't think there is., I mean lets look at some of the more Cute and cuddly ones....

Kangaroos. ....A geocachers nightmare, but don't ever confront one when you find he's got to the cache before you have, they can whip you with their tail and easily break bones. Their boxing skills are legendary. Remember the "Giant Mouse' in the Warner Bros cartoons?

Wombats.... another geocachers nightmare. Although not intentionally murderous, these critters have a habit of wandering onto freeways in the middle of the night. If you hit one at 160 km/h, their body seems to be as strong as any speed hump and you'often come off just as bad as the bloody mess you leave behind. (yes we do have roads that have no speed limits)

Koalas......cross these guys and they will not only rip your eyes out, they'll piss on you as well.

There's lots more, but one very fierce creature is a Razorback. My only advice is, if one is charging at you don't shoot him....you'll just make him angry. ;)

Don't even ask about Drop Bears.

2 Dogs

Edited by The 2 Dogs
Wombats.... another geocachers nightmare. Although not intentionally murderous, these critters have a habit of wandering onto freeways in the middle of the night. If you hit one at 1600 km/h, their body seems to be as strong as any speed hump and you'often come off just as bad as the bloody mess you leave behind. (yes we do have roads that have no speed limits)

It's not the fact that you have roads with no speed limits that is amazing it's the fact that you have cars/trucks that go 1600 KM/h.

;)

Vegemite!

How does the jingle go.....

"We're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast lunch and tea......".

Don't knock the stuff. It's good tucker. Take it along on a camping trip. Even when the food tastes so bad, it would kill a brown dog........a dash a vegemite can make just about anythng taste good.

I put little jars of it in caches from time to time.

As far as I know the stuff doesn't go off for a long long time. It has a natural preservative. Salt I think. I have eaten it a couple of years old and it was still ok.

For those who don''t know where it comes from. It's a bi-product from beer brewing.

Oh Oh I can see an "off topic" flame comin on. ;)

After 9 months of camping in the tropical rainforest, the desert, Tasi and Melbourne, (and eating Vegamite and drinking Bundy) I'm still alive with all my limbs.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about. The worst that happened to me was waking up in the desert one night with a tiny mouse chewing on the tip of my finger.

Seriously, if you go down under, use caution. Also, during my visit, a man lost his hand to a croc in Darwin, a tourist died from jelly fish in Queensland, and they banned men from wearing dresses in Hobart after 5 PM. :D;)

Oh I forgot....

and don't you have Alligators in your sewers? :)

BTW... Septic Tank. They only banned blokes in dresses after 5pm down there because, the men were having trouble telling their sisters from their brothers........ :):):D

Sorry Tassies. Just Kidding. :)

Naw, us americans just crap that big, and darn it, ya ruined my insulting comment about Aussie women.

whew, i read the title and thought this was a Jeffory Damer thread.

I thought it was the Linda Lovelace thread!

BTW, here in Kansas (you know, that flat spot to the right of Colorado?), there ain't much that will eat you, except a farmer friend of mine got drunk and passed out in the pig pen one night and the hogs ate pretty much most of him. True story, swear to it on my father's grave.

Skeeters are big enough to carry a small child off. Ticks, chiggers, no-see-ums, etc are more of an annoyance. Now, tornadoes on the other hand....those are a whole 'nuther story!

I'm drinking a Foster's Lager reading this thread mates, er, ya wankers. When our son was 2yrs old(7yrs ago) the wife was working in the garden when I ran out the back door yelling "have you seen little T !" , he was napping under my care, wife came running, I screamed " the dingo ate the baby" , she did not see the humor.

A recent poll conducted shows that after all these years most people still believe that the Dingo was innocent.

The jokes still keep coming though.

Q: What is gold in colour, and could have changed the face of history.??

A: A dingo in Bethlehem. :)

I was going to do a cache at Ayers Rock, called Matinee Jacket, but thought it was in too poor taste.

A recent poll conducted shows that after all these years most people still believe that the Dingo was innocent.

The jokes still keep coming though.

Q: What is gold in colour, and could have changed the face of history.??

A: A dingo in Bethlehem. :)

I was going to do a cache at Ayers Rock, called Matinee Jacket, but thought it was in too poor taste.

Oh, now that's tasteless.....but hilarious!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh! :)

Actually, Crocodile meat is another thing that tastes like chicken well with the first couple of bites anyway, but then...........beware.

Take my advice. If you a thinking of exacting revenge on a croc for all those American tourists they have eaten over the years.....think again.

To quote another famous Crocodile Dundee movie line.

"You can eat it........but it taste's like ******! :mad:

Edited by mtn-man